(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Sammer
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5634 Gold Wings Settings page Posted by mbaumle (1 year ago)

Post #5771 Arena settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Post #5801 Robowar settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider futurepinhead.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1193 7 years ago

Hey guys, after years of searching, I finally found a Genesis! It was missing the legs, can someone tell me, does it use standard or Gottlieb legs?

#1197 7 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

mine has the 27 inch gottlieb legs and the manual shows part number 4337

Thanks for the response. I looked up that part on Marco and it says that D-4337 is for front legs and that D-3768 is for the back legs.
I've never heard of a machine having two different sized legs but this is also my first Gottlieb.

#1198 7 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

Thanks for the response. I looked up that part on Marco and it says that D-4337 is for front legs and that D-3768 is for the back legs.
I've never heard of a machine having two different sized legs but this is also my first Gottlieb.

EDIT: I just talked to Steve over at Marco's. He thinks that the only game that Gottlieb used different legs he believes was Caveman. So I just need to get 4 x 4337.

Thanks for the help.

#1207 7 years ago

I need some help on the new Genesis.
I attached the MPU but I'm needing to test the voltages. I can't seem to find a tutorial on how to test voltages on these.
I can order a manual, which I intend to buy one, but I want to order all the parts I need at once and not pay $20 shipping on a manual.

So how do I test voltages?
There's a board to the right of the Swemmer MPU board but no way to attach it. Is it needed with the MPU or is this boards functions built into the Swemmer?
There's a ribbon cable connection on the MPU, what's it for?

20161203_192959 (resized).jpg20161203_192959 (resized).jpg

#1209 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It's the MPU reset board. You don't usually need it, especially with an after-market replacement MPU.

What ribbon cable? I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

You really need a schematic to look at in order to see which wires are what.

Sorry, I meant ribbon cable connection, not ribbon cable.

I was trying to lump it all into one order, but it looks like I'll need to order one.

20161204_002601 (resized).jpg20161204_002601 (resized).jpg

#1211 7 years ago

I see what you're talking about. I'm talking about the connection that is missing something in it. I looked up other photos of other people's games have that connection empty too so I'm assuming it's okay

#1214 7 years ago

Wow cool, that's an awesome feature.
I'm starting to get a list of every thing I need. I'm probably going to replace the Power supply as well since I'm looking for reliability. The large heat sync I have read is just the 5v regulator from what I can tell without removing it, it is just the one bottle cap and nothing more. So I will be replacing that bottle cap.

I already plan to do the ground mods. Any other suggestions?

2 weeks later
#1226 7 years ago

Ok, first 80B woes (Genesis). I bought a Swemmer MPU and a repro A2 power supply and a repro A5 power supply. I have never got the 5v MPU light to come on. When I first started powering it up, I got the Audio LED light to come on, but now it doesn't come on either. I did all this during lunch so I have not had a chance to go after it with a multimeter but I plan to. Just didn't know if anyone had any advice.

All ground mods have been done, all fuses have been checked.

EDIT: I also get a loud hum.

1 week later
#1236 7 years ago

On my Genesis, I've narrowed down the main issue to be the connections. When I wiggle around the edges, I'm able to get signs of life. Never fully booting a game, but more and more LEDs on the boards. Is there any place to buy rebuild kits for these? I looked around and didn't see any.

#1244 7 years ago

I do not think I will be able to reuse my housing. My Genesis has the Stern style connectors where you push the wires into the plastic housing and the crimp.

#1247 7 years ago

Ed from Great Plains got me all sorted out. I'm waiting on one last question and I will be ordering. I am just rebuilding it all and FYI the 175 parts I built in the order is only $27.

1 month later
#1285 7 years ago

I waited too long to order my edge housings from GPE and now a lot of what I need are out of stock. What options do I have now? Do a lot of people fight the old housings to remove the pins and reuse them?

#1287 7 years ago

I saw those too. They seemed a bit steep since I was hoping to replace all of mine, it would add up quick. I'll buy the pins and an extractor tool and give it a go.

#1288 7 years ago

Any suggestions on what size and style for the pins? .156 but what gauge. I'm assuming the 22-26. Trifuricon or Bifuricon?

#1290 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Most wires are 18-20 gauge, so use the connector pins that match that. 22-26 is going to be too small.
Trifuricon pins are only used with header pins (like on the power supplies), but not on edge connectors.
Bifrucated pins are only used on the system 80 interconnect harness between the mpu and driver board, but are no longer available from anyone.
Standard .156 edge connector pins are the ones you will probably use the most, followed by the Trifuricon pins.

Thank you so much. Looks like GPE is out of the Bifrucated pins so hopefully my interconnect is okay. I know my large cap in the bottom, the 10000uf 25v was toast so these all might be fine, but I'll feel better after they are all replaced.

#1295 7 years ago

My big cap in the bottom of Genesis is dry rotted and cracking and rusted on one of the lugs. Let's hope that fixes a lot of my issues.

2 months later
#1418 6 years ago

On my Genesis, I was going to swap the big cap in the bottom cab, and I realized someone in the house tossed out my old one. Now I don't know which wire goes to pos/neg. It was the black wire and the black-white wire if that helps anyone remember.

Thanks

#1420 6 years ago

Thanks you. We have life!!! I rebuilt 3 connections and new Big cap and that did it.

I can get the game to boot, most coils to fire, most switches to work and flashers and all.

As far as the sound goes, I get music but no sound effects.

I see the sound board has dip switches. Mine are all turned to off. Does that cause this?

I'm buying a manual tomorrow so I'm sorry for asking so many questions.

#1421 6 years ago

Thanks you. We have life!!! I rebuilt 3 connections and new Big cap and that did it.
I can get the game to boot, most coils to fire, most switches to work and flashers and all.
As far as the sound goes, I get music but no sound effects.
I see the sound board has dip switches. Mine are all turned to off. Does that cause this?
I'm buying a manual tomorrow so I'm sorry for asking so many questions.

I found a post of a guy who had a similar issue. So when I press the Test switch and I only get one beep, which is supposed to represent a Ram issue. I had some of the Rams and I tried piggy backing them but that didn't fix it. So I will try and do the Driver board jumper test next to rule out the driver board.

#1422 6 years ago

The last few issues that I have on Genesis is

Reveal motor not turning
ABC lane switches not working
No sound effects

I think that's it.

I worked on the reveal motor a little last night and verified that the relay is working correctly. Someone posted on here a few pages back that you should be able to move the shield by hand which is definitely not the case with mine. I will pull the motor off this weekend and mess with the gears a bit.

The ABC switches I cleaned thoroughly last night but I still didn't have any luck. I also couldn't get any continuity testing at the switch so I do believe this to be a switch issue and not a connector/wire issue.

#1424 6 years ago

I replied to you on that other post. It appears to me to be worn out targets (the back sides or even the bottom that guides it) and springs. I've had to fix that twice before for similar issues.

#1425 6 years ago

The last few issues that I have on Genesis is
Reveal motor not turning
ABC lane switches not working
No sound effects
I think that's it.
I worked on the reveal motor a little last night and verified that the relay is working correctly. Someone posted on here a few pages back that you should be able to move the shield by hand which is definitely not the case with mine. I will pull the motor off this weekend and mess with the gears a bit.
The ABC switches I cleaned thoroughly last night but I still didn't have any luck. I also couldn't get any continuity testing at the switch so I do believe this to be a switch issue and not a connector/wire issue.

Update on the Reveal motor.

I took it all out tonight and the gears were locked on solid. I was able to work it around a little bit at a time and add some 3 in 1 and now it spins freely. So I will be testing that tomorrow and hopefully uploading a video.

1 month later
#1459 6 years ago

I got my sound effects on Genesis to come in. I had to order in new sound roms, but this one is almost done.

Here's a question. I need a new glass to go with my NOS translite. I know that the lift trims are hard to come by for Gottlieb. So I should just cut to the same thickness as Williams or Data East, right?

1 week later
#1472 6 years ago
Quoted from psd4me:

I've been thinking off and on about a different type of back box lighting but haven't come to any conclusions yet.

Tomorrow actually, I plan to try and do an LED strip around the inside of the backbox. I am going to be tying into the 12v wire to power it. What got me onto this is because my Genesis came with a NOS translite and I'd rather not yellow it with the fluorescent.

#1474 6 years ago
Quoted from psd4me:

Be very interested to see how it looks.

I'll update with some photos. I'm still waiting on the glass for the translite. I just called to see if it was in yet and it's not. Hopefully it will be in by the end of the day.

#1476 6 years ago

So Genesis started getting Slam Switch Error. I tracked it down to the Interconnect wire on the Driver Board side. So it looks like I'll be rebuilding that after all. I think I had already purchased the crimps for it, just never followed through with doing it.

Quoted from psd4me:

Be very interested to see how it looks.

I hadn't had a chance to do it yet. I got tied up installing Cliffy's and finding that Slam Switch error. It should still be this week.

#1479 6 years ago

The LED strips turned out great. I'm glad I only went with the two sides instead of 3. These are not in permanent right now, just testing phase. The glass isn't in yet so we're just holding it in place.

20170712_194908 (resized).jpg20170712_194908 (resized).jpg

20170712_194827 (resized).jpg20170712_194827 (resized).jpg

20170712_194904 (resized).jpg20170712_194904 (resized).jpg

#1480 6 years ago

Oh, I used neutral color, not warm or cool

#1482 6 years ago

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007JF2A6G/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apap_9OQUoGojQ1M16

I have a lot of these strips. I've been busy doing arcade light boxes and I did a little something special with some Black Hole backglasses I had lying around (yes the disk spins). I just made a black box with two grooves in to slide in both back glasses. I printed off the image of the disk and glued it to a sheet of plexi. I used a 12v 3rpm motor to spin it.

20170618_215224.jpg20170618_215224.jpg
ddb76a2c8db6318536b82399e424a2db91fa151d.gif.jpgddb76a2c8db6318536b82399e424a2db91fa151d.gif.jpg

20170624_221905 (resized).jpg20170624_221905 (resized).jpg

#1485 6 years ago

I spent way too long researching how to do the slam switch mod on my Swemmer mpu.

20170715_201136 (resized).jpg20170715_201136 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1490 6 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Where did you plug these strips into? I know it's 12v, but is there a specific line that you tapped? Thanks!

Sorry Sesh, just saw this. Orange wire is 12v, grey wire is ground, don't mind the yellow wire, that's just part of my ground mod.

20170724_175133 (resized).jpg20170724_175133 (resized).jpg

20170724_175137 (resized).jpg20170724_175137 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#1507 6 years ago

Messing around with a System 3 opto issue.
Transmitter has 1.5vdc, receiver has .3vdc
Shorting out the receiver and it registers, but that is the only way to get it to fire. I have a friend that thinks its a power issue, but what is the power supposed to be on a receiver?

The opto board has 4 LEDs. On one opto board, LEDs 1 and 3 are on but not 2 or 4. The other Opto board has no LEDs on.

1 week later
#1511 6 years ago

Could someone take photos of the flipper coil wiring for a Rescue911. I couldn't find wire colors in the manual for the flippers. Just the lower two, the top right flipper I have already.

Thank you.

#1513 6 years ago

Beautiful! Thank you. It will be a long night tonight. Lots to check. Lots to solder.

#1514 6 years ago

Is there a specific orientation for the EOS wires? Missing the coils wouldn't be causing my flipper button issues in test would it ForceFlow?

#1516 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I have not attempted to change the orientation, but I suspect not.
If the cabinet switches aren't responsive, I would suspect the ribbon cable between the driver board and mpu, then possibly the sensor board on the playfield.
Also make sure the wires on the right switch are connected correctly, since there are three wires and not just two.

Ribbon cable has been replaced. I've reflowed the sensor, but that doesn't mean there isn't another problem on it. I have verified my opto issues aren't with the opto boards or bad optos, so I'm really thinking there is something in the backbox that is messing with only these 4 switches.

#1519 6 years ago

Unfortunately not. I only have the two bad optos that I can tell. I'm going off of the lights stuck on on the optos and also playing with them during gameplay. I swapped the optos with two known working ones and the problem stays at the playfield location and I've also swapped the two opto boards

#1525 6 years ago

I've got my switch issues fixed!

The flipper switch issues were coming from the wires being off at the coils by the playfield.

The opto issues were being caused by the previous owner having flipped two of the wires on each of the transmitters.

All good now and we just have to get it all cleaned up, finish installing flipper coils and install a shooter rod.

#1529 6 years ago

You guys might get a kick out of this. I originally got this R911 from an operator. He said it was junk because of a missing coupler on the helicopter and a bad opto. I found the coupler at PBR for $5 and the opto was human error. So I could have fixed it for $5 but instead they started parting it out.

By the time I got to it, it was missing translite, speaker panel, DMD, flipper coils and some more. But I just about have it all now.

Here was the note pinned to R911

received_10101919183892363 (resized).jpegreceived_10101919183892363 (resized).jpeg

#1531 6 years ago

At one point it was Rescue on Elm Street. Haha.

20170808_105020 (resized).jpg20170808_105020 (resized).jpg

#1534 6 years ago

Flippers back in action. Thanks for the photos ForceFlow

#1544 6 years ago

I think I'm down to just two parts needed on the R911. I can't seem to find the translite trim anywhere. Does anyone have some input on System 3 translite trim? If it helps, I need the glass too so I can use a different size, but I'm worried about the top trim fitting into the channel.

#1547 6 years ago

Fantastic. I looked on his site, but I must have been in the wrong spot.

2 weeks later
#1556 6 years ago

I'm hoping somebody can help me. I am looking for the part number for the posts of a Slingshot post. The kind that is machine thread and has a machine thread that sticks through the slingshot plastic (not just the wood screw kind). I need two for my Rescue 911 since mine were Loctited and broke off :/
I have looked in my manual and I can find every single part number besides that damn post!

#1558 6 years ago

Unfortunately not

#1559 6 years ago

I really want to say it is this one, but I have no way of being sure
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20196

EDIT: No definitely not that one, it needs to be threaded on the top.

#1560 6 years ago

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-9899

Ok, I really think I'm going to just get this one. I need new T Nuts as well so it looks like even if this isn't original, with new t nuts it should work.

#1562 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Can you post a photo of the post you're trying to match?

I can tonight. I kind of did a clockwise pattern while shopping out this R911 due to the very long ramps. I started with the left slingshot and both of those were Locktited and snapped off. But the Right slingshot doesn't appear to be Locktited so I plan on finishing up the shop job tonight, then I'll just have to replace those left ones. But I'll post a photo assuming I can get the right bolts out without snappin them.

#1564 6 years ago

I saw that tip on Youtube. I will definitely be trying it tonight. I didn't see the others were Locktited when I was removing those. A lesson I definitely have learned from now!

#1566 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Can you post a photo of the post you're trying to match?

I found all the information I needed and hopefully, I have ordered all the parts I need to complete this. We will see when they show up on Tues.

#1579 6 years ago

Sorry to interrupt helping this other person.
Getting very close here. I need to replace a coil sleeve in the VUK. I have a slingshot not firing now. And it looks like I need a new beacon.

Also, has anyone seen Question Marks in the number before?

20170919_075134 (resized).jpg20170919_075134 (resized).jpg

#1581 6 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Maybe a corrupt audits thing? Try clearing them?

I actually just found the answer. It is a bad Ram. Thanks for the reply.

#1593 6 years ago

What are the odds that this will work?
This is the beacon from my R911, the rubber belt are pretty commonly busted off or melted. Mine, the previous owner used some super bright automotive light and it melted. I know replacement beacons are available, just looking for a temporary fix.

received_10101991792663803 (resized).jpegreceived_10101991792663803 (resized).jpeg

#1595 6 years ago

I plan on ordering an all new beacon for it here soon since its only $20. I need to get this on location so I can start working on my next project, that will be a simple swap even out on route.

#1606 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'd give it a shot.
FYI, PBR sells the correct rubber ring for the beacon.
http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_3#Rescue_911

Didn't work, new beacon ordered.

#1609 6 years ago
Quoted from Smart_Bomb:

Can someone please tell me what the power supply cap rating should be on a Diamond Lady pin? That big cap on the power supply next to the bank of fuses....and mind is not orange...i can only assume it was never orange or it was orange and was replaced.
I am not in front of my pin at the moment and can not locate the manual online.

It's explained well here.

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Replacing_the_Orange_Filtering_Capacitor

#1623 6 years ago

Update on my Rescue 911
Fixed VUK
Replaced Ram (was the cause of the ?? in the scores)
Fixed blown transistor on slingshot
Fixed last two playfield lights

Played first game today!

#1636 6 years ago

Beacon installed on my R911. This game is now 100%. Thank you for everyone who helped me this club is my favorite on Pinside.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jefferson, WI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington Township, NJ
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

1,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ajax, ON
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider futurepinhead.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club?tu=futurepinhead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.