(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,539 posts
  • 650 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 35 hours ago by bajm
  • Topic is favorited by 322 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg
IMG_5720(1) (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5634 Gold Wings Settings page Posted by mbaumle (1 year ago)

Post #5771 Arena settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Post #5801 Robowar settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider droptarget.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2648 5 years ago

Hi All,

I just joined a few weeks ago with a Count-Down. It's given me nothing but trouble!

Starting with no key for the back box. Had to break in....that was fun! Then I replaced the lock, but with the head locked, the nut on the back of the cam fell off, so I had to break in a second time! Oh, yes, the third time was when the door closed and the bottom hook dropped on it's own.... I'm getting pretty good at fishing with a wire hanger.

I've re-pinned the connectors, fixed an issue with the power supply, re-faced the drop targets, cleaned acid damage to the MPU and replaced a few IC's, even though I think they were good, cleaned switches, pf, cabinet etc., rebuilt flippers and probably some other stuff that escapes me now.

The main issue(s) right now is(are) that the blue drop target reset coil locks on, while the other drop target banks won't reset. I've checked transistors, they appear fine. I even bought a replacement MPU, but that didn't fix the problem.

Any thoughts where to look next? and does anyone need a replacement MPU? If my original is actually good, I'll either keep it and sell the new replacement, or keep the replacement and sell the original, not sure yet. 1st have to get this beast working.

Oh, does anyone have a Count-Down back glass to sell?

#2650 5 years ago

Yes, did the mods and Brand new MPU. Good idea to check outputs at the boards. Ty

1 week later
#2687 5 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I just realized I was testing it backwards. In the pic I’m testing PNP. This is NPN.

It's PNP

1 week later
#2738 5 years ago

Hi all,

I'm having trouble with my Count-Down. Two coils are locking on. I've changed transistors, but they remain locked. I have a new driver board coming, hopefully that will take care of the issue, but of course don't want to blow out any transistors on the new board.

here's a question....

I'm checking the under pf transistors as per Clay's site. I've disconnected the wires that run to the driver board, using a DMM, putting red lead on the case, 1 of the transistors checks as Clay describes, .5 from Collector to Base, and .5 from Collector to Emitter. The other transistor measures .5 from collector to base, but OL from Collector to Emitter. However, When I remove it from the machine, the transistor tests good.

Any thoughts?

TIA

#2744 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Have you done all the ground mods?

Yes

#2745 5 years ago

The blue and yellow drop target reset coils.

I've also noticed locked on lamps.

#2748 5 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Those two have under the playfield transistors and are driven via L17 and L18.

Already done

#2758 5 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

You will need to add the pull-up resistors

I haven't added pull up resistors yet, any suggestions as where to take the 24v from? The fuse block is not near the under pf transistors on Count Down.

Thx

#2760 5 years ago

Thank you, all the other pics I saw ran 24v from the fuse bus.

#2762 5 years ago

looking for descent Count-Down BG

#2765 5 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

a really hard on to find in good shape

I'm assuming you meant hard one

and yes they are.

#2768 5 years ago

sweet

#2769 5 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

funny how just missing one E send this response in a whole different direction....

#2777 5 years ago

Hi All,

So I just received my new driver board. Is it still recommended to install a pull up resistor, or it it unnecessary with after market boards?

THX

#2783 5 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Yes, the transistor under the playfield still needs it.

Thanks

#2784 5 years ago

Hi All,

I've been banging my head against the wall for about 6 weeks now trying to get my Count-Down running.

Fixed power supply issue, re-pinned connectors, re-faced the drop targets, new rubber, cleaned pf and cabinet, new lamps, Cleaned and attempted repair of original CPU (it actually may be good, as it boots), added a new Ni-Wumph CPU, lots of transistors for the original driver board and under pf, a new rottendog driver (to find out the day it was ordered that, while they will work with the Ni-Wumph CPU, it's better to use a Ni-Wumph driver board with their CPU), a new Ni-Wumph driver board....

Well, I've got the machine going. Turned out to be and issue with the CPU --> Driver board harness.

Sooooooo....... I'm selling my brand new, never opened, still in shipping package Rottendog driver board if anyone here needs one.

I may also be selling the Ni-Wumph board. It should be arriving at my house next week.

Also, I would sell the original CPU, I'm pretty sure it's either working or certainly salvageable, but I don't have a tester and plan on keeping the new Ni-Wumph.

PM if interested.

-Thx

#2786 5 years ago

argggggg,

New self induced issue.

I had 1 CPU lamp that does not light (L28), I had the bright idea of swapping ground wires between that lamp and the one next to it since I couldn't be certain if there was a bad socket on the lamp that wouldn't light as well as possibly a bad transistor. It confirmed that there is something wrong with the circuit, probably the transistor, I'll need to pull the board and check it. However, something happened, and I don't know what, but now the 5a sb lamp fuse keeps blowing as soon as I try the lamp test. I've even unsoldered the grounds to both of those sockets and it still blows the fuse. Rectifier checks good.

HEELLLLLPPPPPP!

TY

#2787 5 years ago

OK, Disregard that last post.

I'M AN IDIOT!!!! I'll say it loud and in front of the whole group.

The fuse blew, and I replaced it several times, removing the possible short each time in order to isolate the issue. As it turns out I was accidentally replacing the 5a sb fuse with a 2a

Put in 5a and all is well, except for the issue of L28 not working.

Lesson learned, maybe someone else can learn from this as well. At least I didn't put in a higher valued fuse.

SO, that brings me back to the original issue. L28 not lighting. There is continuity from the wire at the socket to the transistor (Q36). Q36 tests ok while still in the board.

Any ideas? Replace Q36 just in case? As a side note.... I'm pretty sure it's not the transistor, as when I had a different driver board in, the same thing was happening.

#2789 5 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I wouldn't worry about it. At least you weren't replacing a 2A fuse with a 5A one.... That would be bad.

or higher, most of my stocked fuses are 10a or 25a

#2792 5 years ago

Maybe Digi-Key ?

3d printed perhaps?

#2799 5 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Did you try connecting the emitter of Q36 to ground?
Does the lamp light when you do that?

I did, it didn't, but the socket is questionable too. I'll order some new sockets from PBR next week.

Update: I changed Q36, even though it tested good on the board. That fixed the issue, except for the bad socket part.)

#2814 5 years ago

Here’s something odd.

I’ve spent about 6 weeks getting my ‘new’ Count-Down to work. Lots of trouble, also my 1st system 1 game so I didn’t have any expertise with it.

After much trouble shooting, I swapped out the CPU to Driver board harness and the machine works now.

Here’s the odd thing. When I checked the old harness, btw the wires are all re-pinned, the connectors are correctly pinned and there is continuity on each wire. The harness checks out just fine and in theory should work, but when I use it in the game, I get locked on coils and lamps.

#2817 5 years ago
Quoted from sagejr:

Even though they were repinned, they could be the wrong pins. They might not be providing enough bite on the edge contacts.

Thanks, I used Molex 05-50-0106 pins.

#2819 5 years ago
Quoted from sagejr:

If the wires are all in the correct order as you say they are, the obvious things tend to come to mind for me first. Ground and data wires not making good contact to edge contacts on the boards because of length or tension. Also the edge contacts on the boards themselves might be worn down. Maybe the new connector is able to sink deeper onto the boards to give better contact or provide more tension.

Thanks, It's a new CPU. I've swapped harnesses and the game works, so I'm not terribly concerned.

4 months later
#3085 4 years ago

Hi All,

I went to play my Countdown last night for the first time in about a month. Everything was playing well the last time it was booted, this time the player 1 display was flickering and players 2, 3 and 4 displays were dim.

Ant thoughts? It has a brand new NiWumph CPU.

Thanks

#3093 4 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyPinball:

Have you checked the power supply for voltage? Caps new? pins making connection? Ground mod done?

I haven't checked anything yet, as I'm away from home for a few days, will check when I'm back.

4 months later
#3304 4 years ago

Hi all,

My Countdown's displays are starting to pulsate and the ball in play / number to match displays aren't lit at all.

Any thoughts?

Power supply, connectors anything else?

thx

3 years later
#6018 1 year ago

Hi guys,

Does anyone know what Q30 controls on Count down?

My yellow drop target bank coil locks on. Q30 appears to test badly (in circuit). I thought the pre driver was Q17, which tests good. I have not tested the under PF transistor yet.

Thanks.

#6020 1 year ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Does this file help?

It does. Thank you.

Is that on your site?

#6021 1 year ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

I have not tested the under PF transistor yet.

That was the culprit. OL across all legs. Removed and replaced. All is right with the world again.

#6024 1 year ago

Great, Thank you.

8 months later
#6402 4 months ago

Hi,

Does anyone have the dimensions of the Countdown back glass?

TIA

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Calgary, AB
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Las Vegas, NV
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gainesville, GA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider droptarget.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club?tu=droptarget and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.