(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Sammer
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5634 Gold Wings Settings page Posted by mbaumle (1 year ago)

Post #5771 Arena settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Post #5801 Robowar settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider desertt1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1428 6 years ago

So Ice Fever started doing this one day and I'm not sure what is going on. You can see the display, but it does not kick out a ball and there is a relay clicking on and off turning the controlled insert lighting on and off.

IMG_4192 (resized).JPGIMG_4192 (resized).JPG

4 months later
#1644 6 years ago

My Ice Fever sat for a few months and when I went to turn it on there were some strange display issues. I could press start, it would play the music, but never kick the ball. This morning I was going to work on it, turn it on, and the displays are fine. Press start, plays the music, and doesn't kick the ball.

Ok, let's investigate. Fuse is good, but the left flipper also isn't working. Let's test coils. I press the test button one time and this starts happening. It seems like it would go on forever if I let it.

3 months later
#1765 6 years ago

On my Ice Fever I can start a game, it will play the music, but does not kick out a ball. Standing there I can hear a relay kick on and off and the inserts are alternating between what I think attract mode is and what the start of a game looks like (I-C-E inserts blinking). I thought the relay and the lights were cause/effect related, and they may be but standing there tapping the flipper buttons I noticed something. When the relay clicks and the inserts go into game mode, the flippers work, and then the relay will click back a second or so later and the inserts show attract mode and the flippers don't work. It doesn't kick out a ball ever, but I think that's because it tries when the relay isn't on and never tries again after that.

Previous owner was kind enough to replace the battery with a remote holder, and I just put in fresh batteries, just in case.

The displays are funky as well for player 2/3/4. Notice the upper dashes are on. Player one looks fine, as does credit and ball count.

OK, on the fly update. As I sat here typing this all of a sudden it was playing random sound clips, firing a coil and random times, and flickering gibberish on the displays.

Here is the new random stuff:

IMG_0298[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0298[1] (resized).JPG

#1777 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Is there any battery damage on the MPU? That can cause a game to go haywire if it's not addressed properly.

Quoted from REGNE:

desertt1
Step one: channel the spirit of blownfuse
Step two: Listen to forceflow
Step three: Make sure your Voltages are stable.
Step four: battery corrosion?
Step five: good connection to the PCBs? Repin necessary? Do you have 5v on PCB?
I have a Touchdown that was similar. Would start a game but had random resetting. Tried to kick the ball out but repeatedly but failed. Was then blowing the solenoid fuse. Would also sometimes randomly kick ball into the lane on other ocassions. Like when we were watching a movie. My voltage was stable from PS. I took all the chips out of sockets and cleaned them with an eraser. Same result. Wonky. Did the wigggle/jiggle of the chips and found the game ROMs on the PCB to be to blame for the random ressetting. I replaced sockets with machine pin sockets. Same. Found out I needed to clean chip legs more aggressively than an eraser on U2 Game rom. (Chip that is just south of the Premier label in the image.)
I think you might have some other chip issues with the PCB too, maybe, but wonkyness is proportionally related to the quality of the connections. At PCB edge connections and sockets to chips. Oxidation and corrosion are your main issues I believe.

Thanks to the both of you for suggestions. The remote battery was done by a previous owner before the battery could do any damage, the spot looks beautiful.

As for the other things. I now have a list to check. Thanks for the suggestions.

#1778 6 years ago
Quoted from REGNE:

desertt1
I have a Touchdown that was similar. Would start a game but had random resetting. Tried to kick the ball out but repeatedly but failed. Was then blowing the solenoid fuse. Would also sometimes randomly kick ball into the lane on other ocassions. Like when we were watching a movie. My voltage was stable from PS. I took all the chips out of sockets and cleaned them with an eraser. Same result. Wonky. Did the wigggle/jiggle of the chips and found the game ROMs on the PCB to be to blame for the random ressetting. I replaced sockets with machine pin sockets. Same. Found out I needed to clean chip legs more aggressively than an eraser on U2 Game rom. (Chip that is just south of the Premier label in the image.)
I think you might have some other chip issues with the PCB too, maybe, but wonkyness is proportionally related to the quality of the connections. At PCB edge connections and sockets to chips. Oxidation and corrosion are your main issues I believe.

I just turned it on to check voltages, and the displays don't come on. That's new. Heading over to the power board, everything checks out ok aside from 5V. On TP4 I'm getting 1.62V, so not the 5V I'm looking for. Investigating that now, but wanted to report my early findings.

#1789 6 years ago

Got a new power supply board as it was easier and less time to just swap than repair for now. So I have 5V and the game boots but it’s still being strange cycling between thinking it’s in a game and attract mode. Will see if I can clean chips tomorrow and if anything changes.

#1799 6 years ago

This is a friend’s Circuis. He didn’t have it very long until this showed up when you power it up. He has played it for a little while, and then this started happening. It will show 88 88 at times, so the digits seem to all be working.

1D0913E5-BDEA-4BF7-AAA4-F67A23023AA5 (resized).jpeg1D0913E5-BDEA-4BF7-AAA4-F67A23023AA5 (resized).jpeg

#1801 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

What kind of shape is the MPU in? Does it have battery damage?

Didn’t get to check. I will have him take a look.

#1802 6 years ago
Quoted from REGNE:

desertt1

Ice Fever seems to be alive again. I pulled the game chip, inspected it and wiped it down a little (nothing looked out of the ordinary) and put it back. Game booted, but was still cycling a relay. I looked and it was the outhole relay. Checked the fuse and it was blown. Replaced that and now it's working just fine. I had also replaced the power supply board to get my 5V back. So a few things combined to take this game down for a little while. Thanks for the help to you and Forceflow.

There are still two pop bumpers not working even though their fuses are fine. I have a board to swap out and see what that does.

1 week later
#1809 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

What kind of shape is the MPU in? Does it have battery damage?

So it turns out that he thinks the battery has been removed in place of NVRAM. He removed the edge connectors for the displays, cleaned them, and replaced them and everything worked.

Then, he was adjusting the gap of a slingshot switch with a switch adjuster, heard a pop and now can't figure out what happened. Says GI will turn on and lights will do attract mode, but no displays and can't credit up and start a game. Apparently this has taught a lesson of turning the game off before playing with stuff.

6 months later
#2331 5 years ago

Just replaced the Z14 7400 IC and now I have displays, but coins and test buttons do nothing so I don’t think it’s fully booted. Also, that’s credit display looks a bit unhappy. The main displays probably have a smaller issue as well.

#2335 5 years ago
Quoted from LynnInDenver:

...is that the slam switch thing? Does it do the five second then click and cycle the GI? If it doesn't, you might need to do the slam switch bypass; I believe it's like the earlier System 1, where the slam switch is set up as "normally closed", which makes it much more fragile and causes it to "fail safe", basically the switch (or harness) failing prevents the machine from operating by making it think it's been slammed. It won't coin, won't start, and the displays will "roll".
https://www.flippers.com/gott-system80.html

It does do the 5-second click, but I was going to do the bypass anyway. Went to check and it had already been done. Thanks for the link though. Good info in there.

There are two coin switches. One set of wires had been cut to add a credit button outside of the game. That had later been disconnected, but the wires never fixed. So there are wires sitting there. Touching them and holding together makes a “boop” sound of sorts and seemed to add credits, but as that display is flickering it is hard to tell. The other side seems to do nothing right now, but I just thought that maybe the chain to that switch is broken from the cut wires.

Test button still does nothing. Is there a signal of some sort when the dip switches are in a bad configuration? I haven’t checked those against factory yet as a starting point.

Getting the credit display to stop flickering would likely be a good goal at this point as it might be trying to show info I can’t currently see.

#2341 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

SEE MY POSTS 1896 and 1909 in this thread. I had same problem.
Where did you get the 7400?.

Did yours clear up after you replaced Z14? Mine got a little better after doing that, but not fully fixed.

I got the 7400 from a surprisingly awesome electronics store in town. It's called Elliott Electronics. Not the best prices ever, but if I want to work on something that day, it's worth the trip. https://www.elliottelectronicsupply.com/

1 week later
#2352 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Did yours clear up after you replaced Z14? Mine got a little better after doing that, but not fully fixed.
I got the 7400 from a surprisingly awesome electronics store in town. It's called Elliott Electronics. Not the best prices ever, but if I want to work on something that day, it's worth the trip. https://www.elliottelectronicsupply.com/

Z12 was also very warm, so I replaced that just now. The displays used to come on and stay on, but the game would not respond to buttons. Now it clicks to turn on the displays and they go off right away.

1 week later
#2364 5 years ago

Going to do the ground mods tonight on Circus and if that doesn't get it to boot all the way to attract mode I'm all out of ideas.

#2367 5 years ago

Added ground mods, it boots, beeps, then goes back to bed. Any guesses?

#2369 5 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I found this bit of info about Haunted House, but maybe it's the same for Circus. That beep isn't normal.
> indicates an operation by the user (you)
# indicates an operation by the sound board
SOUND BOARD CHECKS FOR GOTTLIEB HAUNTED HOUSE:
>Push test button on sound board
#Board will beep 1 tone if the RAM is bad.
#Board will beep 2 tones if sound ROM1 is bad.
#Board will beep 3 tones if sound ROM2 is bad.
#Board will beep 5 tones after a pause if everything so far is OK (repeats until you do something)
>Start sound trigger test. The book asks you to ground the pins on the P1 connector, but I find it much easier to ground the pins on the U16 chip. Take a metal pick tool and attach a jumper from it to ground. Use this to poke the pins of the chip. Note that pin #14 has +5 volts on it!
>ground pin #1 of U16
#Board should beep 5 tones
>ground pin #3 of U16
>ground pin #5 of U16
>ground pin #9 of U16
>ground pin #11 of U16
>ground pin #13 of U16
>Push test button
#Board should beep one long tone
>Push test button
#board should stop beeping. Test is over.
Take notes on what works or does not work. Go on to the sound board repair page soon to come.
The full thread is actually diagnosing a Gold Wings, but someone refers to that diagnosis for Haunted House.
https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=92597

Hmm, very interesting. I will manually ground the pins, but pressing the test button didn’t do anything. The speaker made a slight popping sound like when you have a walker talkie and press the talk button.

#2371 5 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

You can test your sound board by pressing the black button on the sound board itself, it will play some attract sounds if all is well. The two dip switches there can affect sound as well.

Here is what mine does.

#2374 5 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Do you have another system80 machine? If so you can swap boards and see if its a board problem, switch roms as well when you do it. Big Daddy enterprises has pascal plug and play for circus at $124 and change. I have two one for circus and one for star race, love 'em. Keep my original boards as backup or if I ever sold.

I don’t have another here. I have an Ice Fever on route, but that one isn’t set to come home for rotation for a while.

#2380 5 years ago

I had a thought while driving in to work today. If there is an issue with my (Circus) sound board, and I unhook it, will the game boot up? I'd like to know if that isolates the issue. I'd also like to just bat the ball around knowing that there is an issue on the board that I can investigate further.

#2382 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Yes, the sound board is a separate MPU that can function independently

Cool! I'll give that a try today and turn it on with fingers crossed.

#2384 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Yes, the sound board is a separate MPU that can function independently

No dice. Displays did the same thing where they went on for just a second after the 5-second timer and instantly went off. Seems like this is pointing back to the MPU as the issue.

#2386 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Sorry I answered the wrong question. While I don't know if the sound board and can prevent the mpu from booting I do know the mpu can boot without it (if it can boot)

No worries. Seems like I’m in need of some sort of flow chart of areas to check for voltage or logic.

#2389 5 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Just curious, did this game ever work since you have had it? I see you have several pins in your collection but systems 80s are very unique. These things are not all that hard to work on once you can establish a baseline. First thing I do is replace the filter caps if they haven’t been before. Then I look at every pin in every edge connector. The ground mods aren’t needed if your pins are all good. If fact, doing grounds mods before checking the pins might just complicate things. People might disagree with me but it is the truth. These games were designed to gound through the wire harness and they will if the pins are in good shape. You can always do the ground mods after you get it sorted out but I would not recommend that as a first step. I assume your power supply checks out so now that just leaves 3 possible problems (the slam switches, MPU and Driver board). The slam switches are easy to short out and test. Now that leaves you with just 2 possibilities. At this point I would just buy another set of boards for testing. You can always resell them after you isolate your problem or just keep them as spares. If you are like me, you are going nuts about now. Just buy the replacement boards and save yourself any further aggravation.

It worked when my friend got it home. He was doing something by the slings (with it on) touched something and then the game went crazy. I’m assuming he connected high voltage to switch inputs because it fried z12 and z14, I think. I have replaced those two with progress each time.

#2390 5 years ago

Also, please see posts 2367 and 2371 for videos of the current state of the game.

#2392 5 years ago

So has the game been moved from your friends house to yours? If so, was the head removed? I just want to make sure your pins are ok before you do any other troubleshooting? Edge connector pins are awful. If your pins are all shinny and unbroken you should be ok there. If they have issues they need to be addressed before moving foward. You may have already fixed your problem but can't see the result because a bad pin. Are you willing to buy a replacement board set? That will make things much easier for you. If your pins are good the new board set will get Circus up and running again. Most of us system 80 guys have an extra set sitting around for just that reason.

I have cleaned all contact areas with eraser and that was a noticeable change. The head was removed to move it, but it never was repaired at his house, so no change in what it was doing there compared to what it is doing now. Slam tilt has been bypassed, but connectors have not been done yet.

#2394 5 years ago

If the pins are original they are likely shot. You don't have to replace everything but everything south of where the battery is / was needs addressed. To make things more fun the pins very obsolete. Do you have a source for these?

Not sure I follow what “south of the battery” means.

Looking at this sequence it’s weird because my displays come on for a short time, but the coin coin accept relay doesn’t power up.

92727195-0321-4854-8F8D-E42EBAA2FAC2 (resized).png92727195-0321-4854-8F8D-E42EBAA2FAC2 (resized).png
#2396 5 years ago

Please see photo. These are the connectors you should be checking. These need to be a 100% good before you can proceed with any troubleshooting.
[quoted image]

Sounds good, thanks.

3 weeks later
#2432 5 years ago

I borrowed a friends James Bond MPU and put it in Circus. It booted fine and I got to play the strangest game of Circus anyone has ever played. But, the flippers worked just fine so that’s all I wanted to do.

So now that I know my MPU is still not working what are my options?

#2442 5 years ago

Do any new System 80 MPUs come with NVRAM? I actually have some on my Circus MPU, but want to get a new one to get the game up and running while I try to fix the original one.

1 week later
#2477 5 years ago

Got my universal MPU yesterday for Circus. It now boots, which means the original MPU has something wrong, but I have no idea how to figure out what. It also has about half the switches not registering. I will see which ones do and do not and see if there is any pattern. At least I got to smack a ball around.

#2479 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

the switch connector is in the battery damage area so if you had any this is suspect.
The connectors are always suspect. The new mpu makes one side solid but the crimp side can have broken, crushed or tarnished pins. these should be reviewed and replaced if needed.
Ground mods help too (especially of the connectors haven't been redone). The same bad connection that makes the switches not work can prevent the ground return from the boards and cause all sorts of problems. Even new boards sometimes need this done and some include a grounding lug to accommodate it.

I have a lot of new contacts that recently arrived, so I'll likely be doing those when I can. Previous MPU had NVRAM, and doesn't look like any previous battery issues, but I will double check just to make sure.

3 weeks later
#2523 5 years ago

Ok, what am I missing here? Half my switches don’t work, including the test switch. It goes to A7, which is the panel in the bottom of the cab. From there it should go somewhere and end up in the head right? I just did a continuity test on all the connectors in the head and no beeps for the test switch. Since I can’t find a schematic where things come out of A7, things seem to just vanish. It looks to be A7J1-2 as the “500” color coding makes sense.

C210390D-0C39-4EB4-BAA7-7DA9F07B749E (resized).jpegC210390D-0C39-4EB4-BAA7-7DA9F07B749E (resized).jpegD479FAC6-C974-4F47-8FBC-D9FD03965FC4 (resized).jpegD479FAC6-C974-4F47-8FBC-D9FD03965FC4 (resized).jpeg
#2525 5 years ago

Yep, found it hiding on an earlier page. Now to try and fix it

Edit: I found something interesting. None of the diodes on this section in the bottom are letting continuity through. I tested, reversed the probes, and tested again. It’ll buzz from the tab the the leg of the diode, but not through to the leg on the other side of the diode. Can I replace them with regular diodes that I have plenty of?

968CFBF0-A92A-4CD3-BFB8-96411C0CAA13 (resized).jpeg968CFBF0-A92A-4CD3-BFB8-96411C0CAA13 (resized).jpeg
#2527 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

While bad diodes often are problems. the ones used on those diode boards are super hardy. If one or a couple was bad I'd believe it. But all of them sounds like a reading issue.

I’ll test in diode mode, but I got zero continuity going either way and was point blank, so didn’t have 10 feet of wire dropping the signal at all.

#2528 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

While bad diodes often are problems. the ones used on those diode boards are super hardy. If one or a couple was bad I'd believe it. But all of them sounds like a reading issue.

Well they are all reading .222-.229 in diode test, so I have no idea.

#2530 5 years ago

I repinned the connector with the test switch on it and it still isn’t working. Just to test the switch I get a weak buzz at idle (normally means weak connection) and I made sure the tabs weren’t touching. When I press the button I get full connection. Vert da ferk man?

#2533 5 years ago

I just repinned all of A1J6. The playfield switches that weren’t working are still not working. The test button isn’t working either, but that’s not on J6. Anyway, I got the switch matrix out to see if there was a pattern. There is. Rows 1 and 2 (strobe 0 and 1) are completely failing. I have a new Rottendog MPU in, so it shouldn’t be an MPU matrix issue. What else might I be missing?

34EF8EBE-597C-4C06-AFA6-652857591356 (resized).jpeg34EF8EBE-597C-4C06-AFA6-652857591356 (resized).jpeg

#2536 5 years ago

Do you get continuity on those lines between the MPU switch matrix connector and the diode strip? It sounds like it might be more of a harness issue.

Wow, I had no idea those were even there. I measured the left side and right side, both layers. All of them measured in the .230 ballpark, except for two. On the left side set, the left diode on the top and bottom board measured .000. Colors are black/purple/purple and what looks like a faded brown/orange/orange. That relates to sw 16 on row 2, and sw 6 on row 2. Would one diode on each row being out cause the whole row to fail? If so, I’ll have to swap those out and give it a go. I’m pretty excited to have a new path to follow trying to fix this game. Thanks.

#2538 5 years ago

It might. If the diode has failed as a short, it can cause strange behavior, since the diodes are meant to block current flowing in one direction, and failing short means they're no longer blocking it from the other direction. You'd be getting phantom switch presses, or it will act like a switch is locked on.
Also, make sure you don't actually have a switch stuck closed on the playfield. Go through all the switches in the affected rows first, then check the rest. It's quick enough to do with a multimeter in continuity mode. The 10 point switches might be a bit trickier, since all those switches are literally in a daisy chain.
Do also make sure you have continuity between those diodes and the MPU via the harness.

Boom! Swapped out those two diodes and all (most) of the switches work. The 10 point switches still weren’t working, but I found one more hiding where I hadn’t previously looked. It was closed. Opened it up and touched another and it worked.

And guess what? The test button works now too. Time to move it inside and level it and figure out how steep I have to make it for it to be a little more dangerous.

1 week later
#2552 5 years ago

Anyone know how to light the spinner on Circus? I did it once during a long ball, but wasn’t really paying attention to that area and I’m not finding any text on the art describing how.

32AF576F-42CA-448A-8D6F-84ADE7555693 (resized).jpeg32AF576F-42CA-448A-8D6F-84ADE7555693 (resized).jpegEA51F870-F403-47CA-A4A4-09315AA01327 (resized).jpegEA51F870-F403-47CA-A4A4-09315AA01327 (resized).jpeg
#2554 5 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

When you go through both side lanes that have the blue lights it will light the spinner. Circus is really a great game, love mine.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/circus-gottlieb-1980-fans-and-members-welcome
There are videos showing game play and scoring. Second video shows how to light different features.

Cool, thanks.

1 month later
#2581 5 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Question.
I just acquired El dorado city of gold ..
My first gottlieb of this era .
Im getting absolutely nothing on any coils.
No flippers . no bumpers . no drop target resets .
Switches are functional for scoring ..
Also won't throw the ball in play ..
I can add credits . hit start . if the ball is in the drain the music will play as if the game is playing .
I can hit target's and it wall calculate the score .. Fuses are all good .. I've reseated the connectors .
The game has been idle for a long ass time ..
Any way I just started looking at it today . I do not have the manual .. So any leads ect would be cool.
Thanx ahead of time ...

Do any of the coils have voltage?

1 week later
#2585 5 years ago

I moved Ice Fever to the other side of the room at one of my locations and now the displays won’t turn on. It’ll coin up and start the game and plays just fine. Didn’t have my tools, so looking for suggestions to check.

I’ll check for voltage, and hopefully the fuse filament didn’t snap in the ten seconds it took to move. Outside of that, maybe a harness or two needs to be reseated. Any typical ones to pull and reseat?

1 month later
#2678 5 years ago

What category of display issue might this fall under? It’s the only display doing this.

2973E73F-D185-47B1-8EC0-8DC084CD292D (resized).jpeg2973E73F-D185-47B1-8EC0-8DC084CD292D (resized).jpeg
2 years later
#4512 3 years ago

Ice Fever is blowing the 1/4A fuse for the displays right at power up. Pinwiki has a lot of spots to check for power but no mention of potential/typical areas that could cause the fuse to blow. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have a Gulf Pinball power supply in here. Before I unplugged J3, I unplugged each display’s connector. With the displays unplugged the breaker (I got one today) blew. Unplugging J3, the breaker didn’t blow. For reference, here are my measurements on the PSU followed by (printed value).
TP1 13.7V (12V)
TP2 is GND
TP3 5.0 (5V)
TP4 7.94V (8V)
TP5 83.2V (70V)
TP6 62.5V (60V)
TP7 44.5V (42V)

3487D28B-74E7-4F92-94AD-87D00237D332 (resized).jpeg3487D28B-74E7-4F92-94AD-87D00237D332 (resized).jpeg859FE699-DCB6-444A-9953-8024D1730147 (resized).jpeg859FE699-DCB6-444A-9953-8024D1730147 (resized).jpeg
#4514 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Power off, disconnect all displays, reconnect one display at a time (still power off!)
Test between connecting displays - do each individually then additive once fuse/breaker blows, that display is likely bad (6184 drivers)

The first time I tried that the breaker blew, even without any of the displays plugged in. Doing it again nothing blew ever. I plugged them all back in and the breaker was fine. Strange, but ok.

Here is the game in attract with the fuse pulled for back box lighting to try to not wash out the displays. Nothing is scrambled like what used to happen, but you can see a few digits are completely out in one display. The credit/ball display is on, but barely.

One other thing is when I put the backglass back on it played a sound. The game is in attract mode so shouldn’t do that. It used to play the spinner sound and the startup song at random and that might still be an issue.

#4515 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

The first time I tried that the breaker blew, even without any of the displays plugged in. Doing it again nothing blew ever. I plugged them all back in and the breaker was fine. Strange, but ok.
Here is the game in attract with the fuse pulled for back box lighting to try to not wash out the displays. Nothing is scrambled like what used to happen, but you can see a few digits are completely out in one display. The credit/ball display is on, but barely.
One other thing is when I put the backglass back on it played a sound. The game is in attract mode so shouldn’t do that. It used to play the spinner sound and the startup song at random and that might still be an issue.

Well, after attempting to swap displays and see if the missing digits stay or follow the display the problem has resolved itself. Connector might not have been fully seated, or starting to go bad, or who knows. So that's done.

Now my next issue is the ball/credit display. Super dim. I tried to apply voltage to the pins of the glass and that didn't work. The three wires inside got a red glow and turned it off after a minute. Plugged it back in and it was still very dim. Any other options to look into?

#4539 3 years ago

Left the game on in the garage to try to get it to juice up the 4-digit display a little. Came out a few hours later to this. No clue what’s happening to cause it...

2 months later
#4612 2 years ago

Digging a little deeper on my display fuse blowing. I pressed on the connectors on all of the boards and couldn’t mimic this behavior, but if I press on the front of the light board (or sometimes when you nudge) I can get the displays to flicker.

They all flicker at once, so it’s not seeming to be a single display. I can hear an arcing sound up in the top right corner when the light board is closed, so top left when it is open. That’s power supply and sound board territory. When I fidget with the connectors I can’t get it to flicker the displays.

Any guesses would be appreciated.

#4627 2 years ago

Found the source of that little arcing sound.

2 years later
#6371 5 months ago

This is the A2 power supply board on my Ice Fever. I’m trying to track down some low voltages on some coils, but I can find the other side of this J3 connector. I’ve tried following it in real life, but it goes into a very busy bundle. Anyone know where A2J3 pin 3 spits out?

IMG_7416 (resized).jpegIMG_7416 (resized).jpeg
#6373 5 months ago
Quoted from Mthomasslo:

The 42V (and 60V) power supplies are used for the displays only. They aren't related to the coils, and wouldn't have enough current capacity to operate any coils. In fact, the power for the coils does not come from the power supply board at all. Coil power comes from one of the rectifiers in the bottom of the cabinet and then through connector A12P1 pin 7 (wire color 222, red, red, red) then through various fuses to the coils (and some of the coils run through the "Q" /
'Game Over" relay.

Maybe that’s why I can’t find it. Thanks, I’ll find that section of the schematic since I did see the game over relay path earlier, so I know ballpark where it is and what I’m looking for.

#6374 5 months ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Maybe that’s why I can’t find it. Thanks, I’ll find that section of the schematic since I did see the game over relay path earlier, so I know ballpark where it is and what I’m looking for.

Well what do ya know, F10 was showing 34V on one side, and the same 1.8V on the other side I was seeing on the coil legs. The DMM couldn’t quite make up its mind but bounced between .5 and 1.0 megaohms, so it was blown, but still hanging on by a thread.

Replaced that and the coils fire, and the choppy audio issues (which was my next thing to work on after the coils) seems to have cleared up.

Things are looking up, so will have to play some test games to make sure everything is doing what it should.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jefferson, WI
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hickory, NC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider desertt1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club?tu=desertt1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.