(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,524 posts
  • 648 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 46 hours ago by JakePG
  • Topic is favorited by 322 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg
IMG_5720(1) (resized).jpg
IMG_5721(1) (resized).jpg
IMG_5719 (resized).jpg
IMG_3287 (resized).jpeg
20240131_210835 (resized).jpg
20240131_210842 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240110_003042000.MP (resized).jpg
PXL_20240110_004644797 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5634 Gold Wings Settings page Posted by mbaumle (1 year ago)

Post #5771 Arena settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Post #5801 Robowar settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cadmium.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2932 4 years ago

Howdy! I've recently purchased a Genesis in need of work. I have done the ground mods and have the machine almost working fully. However, I am stuck on an issue with the alphanumeric display. As you can see from the pictures only a few segments light and some are very faint. The broken display segments are frozen and never change.

I put a display from my Bounty Hunter in Genesis and it works fine. I've replaced the two 7147 IC hex buffer chips on the board but that had no change. Any suggestions on where to troubleshoot next? Thanks.

IMG_5900 (resized).JPGIMG_5900 (resized).JPGIMG_5901 (resized).JPGIMG_5901 (resized).JPG

#2940 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

The two "939" Rockwell chips drive the two displays and is what I would suspect if everything else looks good. Frankly for the cost of the two chips you could pickup a good used display and be done with it. Just make sure the voltages are good on the board though, odds of both chips acting up are slim in my opinion but possible. I just got my Gold Wings display working correct and I'm picking up a spare for good measure, let me know if there is any readings I can do for you.
FYI looking at your pictures it caught my eye the cap has been replaced, is it the correct value? Looks far smaller than the original.

Thanks for responding so quickly. The cap isn't original but its 470uF compared to the 10uF in the schematic. It's had some obvious work done. Hopefully I'll get lucky soon or be able to source one.

10 months later
#3457 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

For those of you wanting to get rid of that nasty florescent tube in your 80B backboxes, this LED setup from Amazon looks great and is super easy to install. You'll need to open up the mounting holes for the tube mount slightly, but the stock bolt will go back in the stock hole for perfect spacing with the included mounts. I clipped the wire right after the plug and used the included wire nuts to connect. You want straight 110v, so get rid of the transformer and starter all together. The 6500k daylight deluxe version seems to make the translite less washed out than the original bulb.
The whole setup costs a whopping $12 shipped if you have Prime.
Link to LED tube: amazon.com link »
[quoted image][quoted image]

I've been replacing them with this version from Home Deport. Works good and a little cheaper.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/toggled-24-in-8-Watt-Cool-White-4000K-T8-Linear-Tube-LED-Light-Bulb-E208-40310/205622686

#3460 4 years ago

I’ve been fixing a Genesis for a couple of months that came to me totally wrecked. I’m close to fully operational but having an issue with the soundboard. The board originally did not work but after bench testing it against a good board I have almost all the sounds working.

It is not playing any switch sounds. I’ve been methodically replacing ICs and testing using the schematic but no luck. You can see from the attached picture the ICs I’ve changed because I’ve added sockets. I’ve also tried swapping the ROMs.

Can anyone help me understand which part of the board is responsible for switch hits? My baseline test is using the credit switch to see if a sound is made. With a working soundboard the game makes the add credits sounds. With this soundboard it doesn’t. Is there anyway to determine from the schematic which data line makes this sound?
E6B1634C-3E77-45B4-912A-FECB0C307105 (resized).jpegE6B1634C-3E77-45B4-912A-FECB0C307105 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#3491 4 years ago

Are there any aftermarket system 80b sound boards available?

#3500 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Flipp sells their "Twister" sound board. Their website is inexplicably Not Safe For Work, but the products themselves are good: https://www.flipprojets.fr/AudioTwisterSound_EN.php

Unfortunately, it only supports just 3 early system 80b game.
I am more specifically looking for an MA-766 or aftermarket sound board.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/MA-766

2 months later
#3709 3 years ago
Quoted from vassq:

Does anybody know the must do mods specifically on a BoneBusters.
Is there a Checklist of things?

Be sure to do the ground mods: https://www.flippers.com/gottlieb_ground_cures.html

2 months later
#3886 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Thanks for the help. I just ran everything to the yellow ground wire bolt in the head. Game didn’t blow up and plays fine. We shall see. Thanks again!

Just make sure the yellow ground in the head is connected to the cabinet below. It needs to ground all the way to the transformer case. I just worked on a Gold Wings that had everything in the head connected but it wasn't connected to the ground braid in the cabinet.

3 months later
#4273 3 years ago
Quoted from jtreehorn:

Where is the best place to get a voice eprom? I just picked up a Big House. I have sound but no voices.

Flippers.com is the license holder for EPROMs. PBR for copyrighted material.

They have Big House binaries available on their website.

https://flippers.com/catalog_oc/index.php?route=product/product&path=676_720&product_id=2802

9 months later
#4837 2 years ago

FYI, PBR is now saying November for restock of 27" legs.

6 months later
#5249 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Is there a way to use the initials buttons on an 80b as a credit button without adding an additional switch?

I do it on all mine. You add a jumper to the diode board.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/File:GTB_Sys80B_Coin_Door_Diode_Board_Jumper_Added.JPG

I believe that Excalibur you have from me has this mod on it.

1 month later
#5313 1 year ago

I have a few 80b power supplies for sale on eBay. I'd recommend you just buy an aftermarket Gulf Pinball one though.

ebay.com link: itm

2 weeks later
#5349 1 year ago
Quoted from gjm:

Just picked up a Pinball Pool on the cheap side. Lady said, it was working fine then I smelled something burning and shut it down after a minute or so.
Upon inspection I noticed the coil going to the upper kick out hole chard to a cinder, wiring not fried. Also the 5 amp and 2 amp slo blo fuses were cooked as well. Does this look like damage to the driver? If so, is it worth sending out for repair (I don't do board repair) or just purchase another one?
NI-Wumph and PBR are out of stock of Dave's driver board at the moment. The pin has a NI-Wumph CPU. Who ever worked on the pin before made a note in the back box that it was re-pinned June 2018. Any help and opinions are greatly appreciated.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The driver board is easily repairable. You'll need to determine if it's a shorted coil or something else that cooked things.
I diode test the driver transistor, test the diode associated with it, and test the ohms on the coil. Replace whatever tested bad.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
8 months later
#5981 1 year ago
Quoted from RGarriott:

Hello Im looking to service the power supply on my Robowar as the voltage is being alittle erratic. Does any one have a link for the 5v 500ohm 1w pot that would work on this?

I find those Gottlieb power supplies unreliable and always replace the factory one with these:

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cadmium.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club?tu=cadmium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.