(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Sammer
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5634 Gold Wings Settings page Posted by mbaumle (1 year ago)

Post #5771 Arena settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Post #5801 Robowar settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider billc479.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4919 2 years ago

FlipperFanatic -
Review Pinwiki - I seem to remember something about measuring the power supplies. Something about ground not being the same reference when measuring voltages.

#4927 2 years ago

Put a 50 watt light bulb (load) on the output and read the voltage.

#4954 2 years ago

Is there a source for a game IC? I am working on a corroded MPU board, and it is missing an IC labeled "C". I want to try this in Joker Poker. Thanks

3 months later
#5156 2 years ago

I only have an answer about the post adjustment. If you remove the post under the slingshot cover at the top left, there should be two or three holes where the screw that holds the post can go into. By moving the post that little amount equals big changes in how the ball reacts.

I've always been a bit confused concerning liberal/conservative - for whom are they speaking? The player or the operator? Regardless - move it and see what you like best.

#5161 2 years ago

I’ve attached a picture from a Bally machine, but the Williams should be close. You can see three holes in the playfield at the top of where the slingshots are. Those holes are the post adjustment.

I should have been more clear. At the top OF the left slingshot.

3562B8A7-7E72-47D4-8D9E-E1EBE5479DEA (resized).png3562B8A7-7E72-47D4-8D9E-E1EBE5479DEA (resized).png
1 week later
#5183 2 years ago

Chuckwurt - Harbor Freight has a body and molding trim kit that may work. They are basically two pronged forks that slip under the cap of the buttons to then pull it up. Better than just lifting one side with a screwdriver.

3 months later
#5406 1 year ago

Snowtrooper - Has this just started? If so, you have fish paper (insulation) breaking down, or the ground from the electrical plug opened up, or the grounding inside the machine opened up.

If this is happening all the time, then check to verify the electrical cord is connected properly inside the machine, and that all the grounding is attached properly. Make sure the electrical cord has the ground prong - sometimes people pull them out because they don't have a grounded outlet.

Don't ignore this issue - it will only get worse and can get somebody hurt.

#5414 1 year ago

I would try to replace the chip, but use a socket. It looks like you may need to stitch a few of the connections.

#5426 1 year ago

The pin on the lower left is not making reliable contact - it needs reflowed. And since you're there, you may as well reflow the other pins, too.

2 months later
#5674 1 year ago

Timtim - strip off about an inch of the plastic on each side of the break. Use a piece of braided ground strap and solder it, about 3/8" on each side. If you don't have ground strap, use a piece of 16 or 18 gauge wire. It will take a bit of heat - use some flux, pre-tin the areas, then solder the wire/braid. Should be good as new.

5 months later
#5988 1 year ago

Just a PSA: if you have the Gottlieb playfield simulator/tester, it does work for testing the lamp drivers with a NiWumph board. (System1)

I have not tried the switch simulator side yet, nor the solenoid drivers. I’ll try that in about two weeks and report back.

6 months later
#6293 7 months ago

Put a piece of paper between the contacts for each switch. Go to switch test and verify switch 34 is open. Pull paper, one at a time, till switch 34 closes. That’s your problem switch.

If switch 34 stays closed with paper between all contacts, then you have a shorted wire or a bad MPU.

1 month later
#6365 5 months ago

Bontango - check your math.

Without knowing what the other three resistors are, you can't say for sure what the resistance is. However, I agree that they used what they had to get to the correct resistance.

The big question has to be: Did it work?

#6367 5 months ago

Your total resistance for that chain needs to match what was in there originally. Therefore, they need to add up to 1000 ohms. As long as the wattage on each individual resistor is at least 2 watts, they will be fine.

I only see the one resistor value, Which is 100 ohms. The other three need to add up to 900 ohms. I have to assume they are at least 2 watts.

#6369 5 months ago

Find a 1000 ohm resistor or combination to get to 1000 ohms.

I don’t know what the effect would be for a resistance of 40% of what was designed.

1 week later
#6376 5 months ago

You mean like this?

I’m not sure about selling it right now since I’m working on a bunch of System 1 machines, but if the price is right ( I have no idea what these go for) I might let it go. Not sure about how shipping to Canada would work.

Also, it does work with an Ni-wumph board.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#6378 5 months ago

I got it thru a Craigslist ad about 10 years ago. The guy’s dad was a distributor near Atlanta, Georgia and he was going through some of his stuff and thought this might have some value. I gobbled it up, and asked him to contact me if he found any other pinball related stuff. I never heard anything more from him, so I don’t know if this was it or he just didn’t want to mess with it.

I think ForceFlow also has one, or something similar. I remember asking him about it after o got it.

#6389 5 months ago

I think that replacement would be OK. Are you going by looks or because its bad?

#6391 5 months ago

Do you have power to the machine when you turn it on? Its a coil with caps on each side, along with an inductance coil to filter out noise.

https://www.ato.com/power-line-filter-basics-working-principle

3 weeks later
#6404 4 months ago

Electrically it will work, but I am worried that the stem would not be long enough to go thru the mounting plate to secure it and still be able to reach it and turn it on and off.

Measure the height of the old one, or at least measure how much stem you need to clear the mounting and still reach the button.

1 month later
#6450 3 months ago

Cheddar - I have not seen that, but it makes me think there's an issue with the MPU. Are all the diodes good in the switch matrix for the Kings and Aces? They are located away from the switches.

4 weeks later
#6477 63 days ago

I'm trying to get a few System 1 boards going, and I'm following Clay's guide. From what I am reading, if any of the data lines from U1 are not pulsing, then U1 is bad, and that's the end of the story. (Also assume that the reset and clock circuitry has been verified good.)
The pulses are checked at TC pins 1 thru 13. I have a few boards where a few of the lines are not pulsing - so, I'm looking for verification that this means U1 is bad.

I have a handful of these boards, and if U1 is bad, any suggestions of what to do with the boards since the spider chips are unobtainium?

#6479 63 days ago

Mthomassio - thanks for the info. So, for the boards where I'm missing data lines out from U1 - how should I proceed in finding out whether its bad or if something downstream is loading it down? Do I lift a leg from U1 and check for activity?

I'm really trying to learn these boards and its hard to believe that I have 8 bad boards. (Batteries have all been removed, luckily only one puked.)

#6482 62 days ago

Thanks - I'll report back what I find - I'm planning to go thru all of them again and get better documentation on what I have for each board.

EddiePi - I have used the alive LED, and yes, there's enough voltage there for an LED.

#6483 61 days ago

Ok. I decided to work one board at a time on the bench. I’ve got a Joker Poker rom in it, and an external battery. I’ve got 3.5 volts at the RAM.

I’m using a computer power supply, solid -12 and +5 volts. At power up, power supply is good, but looking TC1-14, my reset signal keeps resetting. In fact, on the scope, it looks like a heartbeat, going from -12 to +5 about every 6 tenths of a second. The heartbeat pattern is also at Z2.

I’m not sure why the constant reset or where to look next. Any ideas? Thanks

#6485 61 days ago

I'll go ahead and do the changes you mentioned, hopefully today/tonight and let everyone know. I did look at the power supplies on a meter while testing, and they looked solid. I'll look at it with a scope to see if there's any noise.

#6488 61 days ago

Wouldn't you know it - a zillion resistors here, and I'm missing two of the three I need. I think I'll start on a different board tonight, and leave the reset resistors alone for now.

#6490 58 days ago

System 1 sanity check, please.

Does the reset signal on TC1-14 stay at +5volts after startup or is it a 5 volt pulse, dropping down to 0 volts? (It starts ant -12 volts.). I ask since Z2 is a pulse output device, and I only see a -12 to +5 volt pulse, then zero volts on my scope.

Thanks

#6492 54 days ago

OK - got reset going - bad Z2. Checking for data pulses on TC1, logic probe says I have all the pulses. I'm not getting any display activity. The ABCD inputs to Z30 are not active. I checked the CPU bus for activity - there's some, but for the most part, just a constant 5 volt level, with waveform dips to about 3 volts. I am thinking I should see dips to near zero.

Is it possible I have a U chip that is bad, holding everything near 5 volts? Should I start lifting legs of the chips on the CPU bus to see is anything changes?

What a journey - these are so different than Bally/Wms!

#6494 54 days ago

I forgot about that - I like that option better - easier to repair. Any idea on which signal line would be my best option to start with?

1 week later
#6500 46 days ago

You can tell they’re sprung by looking across the inside of the connector and look at the height of the mating surface.

I agree with Sparky, your issues are due to the connectors. Repin them all, DO NOT try trifurcon pins.

#6508 41 days ago

I'm not familiar with sys 80, but it sounds like the machine won't kick out the ball due to the trough switch. Look on the schematic and follow each wire from the switch to the circuit board. With power off, read resistance from the leaf on the switch to the first point on the circuit board. You should get close to zero ohms. I think one of these two wires is not being felt on the circuit board. Once you find which wire does not have continuity, break it down into sections - from the switch to the first connector pin, from the connector to the first point on the circuit board. I suspect you have a loose wire.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington Township, NJ
$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

1,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Massillon, OH
$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider billc479.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club?tu=billc479 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.