(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,542 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by bajm
  • Topic is favorited by 323 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5634 Gold Wings Settings page Posted by mbaumle (1 year ago)

Post #5771 Arena settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Post #5801 Robowar settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alan_l.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1467 6 years ago

Guessing: maybe something to do with the Slam switch? Somehow it was wired into that relay? Loose/broken Slam switch wire?

Just throwing darts in the dark.

1 month later
#1520 6 years ago

GTB Raven. Game boots partially: playfield feature lights come on and go into attract mode. Displays do not come on, game will not accept credits and will not start a game. Must an 80b have a battery in or connected to the CPU to fully boot? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Al

1 month later
#1608 6 years ago
Quoted from Smart_Bomb:

Can someone please tell me what the power supply cap rating should be on a Diamond Lady pin? That big cap on the power supply next to the bank of fuses....and mind is not orange...i can only assume it was never orange or it was orange and was replaced.

Should be 10,000uf, 25 volts.

You can't find the manual online because it has a strongly guarded copyright by Gottlieb. Order one from Steve Young at PBR or on ebay.

BTW, is your translate very hard to remove or install? Mine and a couple of others I've seen have the groove in the bottom of the display holder cut too shallow, making it tough to remove.

#1632 6 years ago
Quoted from Marv:

Could someone with a Diamond Lady post a picture of the boards in the backbox please?

I have one, were you looking for anything in particular? Mine does have a Rottendog driver board.

1 month later
#1691 6 years ago
Quoted from Biffbar:

Which, if any, System 80 games came from the factory with doubled up rubber rings, or is that something the operator did? Wondering about Volcano and Black Hole, as I've seen multiple examples with two sets of rings on the kicking rubber posts, the slingshot posts, and behind the drop targets.

Yeah, I've wondered about that myself.

2 months later
#1788 6 years ago

Looking for a decent used or NOS playfield for an '84 Jacks to Open.
Ad in Marketplace also.

4 weeks later
#1854 6 years ago

System 80a, Jacks to Open.

There is a wire, purple/purple/purple (777), that runs from the 4 digit Status display, 1A5J1-2, to the MPU A1J3-16. But instead of stopping at that connector it goes through the IDC connector for about 5 inches and is broken off. I can't for the life of me figure out where it is supposed to go by either searching for the other end or by looking at the schematic.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Al

#1856 6 years ago

Thanks for the reply, REGNE. I'll check when I get home.

Go Huskers!

Alan

#1857 6 years ago

Just got home. That wire does go to the reset board: A24J1-3.

Here's where I am: the game will boot and start a game but none of the switches and solenoids work. The displays at power up either show one zero in the far right position at Player 1, Player 3 and the Status display, or, on every other power up they show all zeroes with strobing. In either case they come on right away, no four second delay.

Is it true that System 80a games will not activate switches and solenoids if the displays are not functioning properly?

I may be looking at connector issues. Which connector should I look at first?

#1859 6 years ago

All fuses removed and checked.

All voltages at A2 are correct with J2 and J3 (displays) connectors not attached. As I add the displays one at a time, the 60 and 42 volt test points drop a few volts with every added display. I have 66.9 vdc at TP1 (should be 62 vdc) and 49.2 at TP2 (should be 42 vdc) without J2 & J3 hooked up. With both connectors attached and all display connectors attached, I have 52.9 VDC at YP1 and 35.0 vdc at TP2. Each display added drags down the voltage. Is this correct or caused by corrosion on the pins, or something else?

I have performed the Slam Switch mod: put a solder bridge between the two traces just to the right of Z26, and cut the wire into the A1J5-10 connector.

No alkaline damage to the MPU, cleaned all the fingers with the pink eraser.

At power up, with just a single zero in the Player 1 & 3 and Status displays, the Test button does nothing. But when it powers up with all zeroes and strobing, the Test button will take me through the tests.

Well then, go Wildcats. As a Ravens fan, I like any team with purple.

#1862 6 years ago

Definitely a possibility. Z7 & Z8 are cheap, but U1 is $21.75 at PBR, but it is a socketed chip.

I'm concerned that corrosion on the connector pins may be my problem. I hate like hell to re-pin every connector but I want this thing to work right.

Just use the shotgun method on those three chips or try re-pinning the connectors that affect the displays?

#1864 6 years ago

Jameco has them for about $6.00. Refurbished, that's OK, isn't it?

1 month later
#1965 6 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Here's where I am: the game will boot and start a game but none of the switches and solenoids work. The displays at power up either show one zero in the far right position at Player 1, Player 3 and the Status display, or, on every other power up they show all zeroes with strobing. In either case they come on right away, no four second delay

How it turned out:

Thanks to ForceFlow's suggestion. I replaced U7 and the CPU chip, didn't have another 7402 for U8. No change. Finally got another 7402, socketed and replaced U8: problem gone! Jacks to Open will be at Allentown, no pics or price yet.

#1978 6 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

I swear this Black Hole is going to be the death of me.

Black Hole is the most correctly named machine in pinball.

2 weeks later
#2023 5 years ago
Quoted from REGNE:

50K = L5 -> pin 3 A3J2 -> Q6 ->Z2
100K = L6 -> pin 5 A3J2 -> Q7 -> Z2
200K = L8 -> pin 10 A3J2 -> Q9 ->Z3
special = L9 -> pin 9 A3J2 -> Q10 ->Z3
16K bonus = L41 -> pin 3 A3J3 -> Q42 -> Z11

Have you tested the Q transistors with a meter I had a Raven (same driver board) with multiple lamps out and each was caused by a dead transistor. Also check to see if any of your feature lamps are stuck on, I had some of them too and they were transistor problems. All of them were MPS-U45's which are no longer available, replaced by CEN-U45's, available rom Mouser, among others.

4 months later
#2376 5 years ago

Vitrigraph playfield?

1 month later
#2484 5 years ago

System 80b MPU board for sale, see Pinside Market post below:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/70179

#2493 5 years ago

I have a System 80a Jacks to Open, no way to set free play.

At one time I thought that I saw a picture tutorial on how to graft in an extra switch to the Start switch in order to increment a credit when the Start button is pressed. The new switch had to close before the original start switch for it to work right. The new switch was somehow wired to a coin switch. I could probably figure it out, but with pics it would be easier.

Thanks,

Alan

1 month later
#2567 5 years ago
Quoted from wildwillys:

so I put in another driver board

I may have had the same problem on a Raven that I used to have. Is the board that you replaced the driver board? If so, check your manual and see if there is a separate Chaser Lamp board that drives just those few lamps. I can't see it on the IPDB or there may not be one. But if you find it, remove it and reflow the header pins. That's all mine needed.

#2568 5 years ago

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1922&picno=25202

Here's a good pic of that Chaser Lamp board on a 80b Raven. It's the small board that is in the middle of the rectangular board that is perpendicular to the playfield toward that bottom of the pic. Reflow both headers if you have one.

1 month later
#2584 5 years ago

I had this on CL without too much luck. Sold my last machine on Pinside, so here's another one.

Machine - For Sale
Fully shopped/refurbished - “For sale is a 1984 Gottlieb "Jacks to Open". This is a System 80a machine that is in 100% working condition with all ground mods performed. Reduced from $900 on CL. The backglass...”
2019-01-19
Jarrettsville, MD
Archived after: 5 days
Viewed: 221 times

2 weeks later
#2619 5 years ago

I need to replace the outhole kicker coil (A-5195, 11.6 ohms, 26-1305) on a Jacs to Open. Can I use a Bally AN26-1200, 12.5 ohm? Is there any chance of long term damage if I do?

#2621 5 years ago

Thanks dothedoo, go Huskers!

1 month later
#2771 5 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Anyone know where to get sound roms for Diamond Lady?

John's Jukes in Vancouver, BC.

www.flippers.com

He's the only one licensed by Gottlieb.

You could also try Steve Young at PBR.

#2779 5 years ago

I have a friend who has a Jacks to Open that is constantly racking up points 1000 at a time. Seems like a switch that is almost closed and vibrating. Does anyone know what switch on a JtO scores 1000 points?

Thanks,

Alan

#2793 5 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I don’t but that is an easy fix. Just pull off the glass and start up a game. Hit all the switches manually until you find the problem child.

That's a good idea but the non-stop scoring starts the instant you press the Start button and doesn't stop until you drain three balls. Touching all the various switches has no effect.

4 weeks later
#2912 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

So, I connected that, replace the burned coil and transistor and now when I boot up, I get no coils at all

Maybe you blew the solenoid fuse in the process?

4 weeks later
#2969 4 years ago

Anyone got a picture of Diamond Lady Sound Board so I can see how JP7 and JP8 are jumpered so I can make sure mine are correct?

Here you go,

20190513_215022 (resized).jpg20190513_215022 (resized).jpg20190513_215028 (resized).jpg20190513_215028 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#2991 4 years ago
Quoted from Neoaztek:

I have not reflowed the daughter board, sometimes it does reset..

Unless your soldering skills and equipment are well above average, do not attempt to remove the daugterboard, reflow and reinstall.

6 months later
#3303 4 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

I’m just questioning if it’s actually necessary. Do you suppose that the motor / inside the cabinet actually gets that hot?

Gottlieb, being notoriously more frugal than Bally or Williams when it came to product cost control, would not have installed such an expensive part were it not necessary. If you try and weld/solder the blades back on, you can't get them perfect so the motor will shake and make a lot of noise.
Get a new or good used one.

2 weeks later
#3337 4 years ago

A friend has a solid state Joker Poker with a fairly new Ni-Wumpf MPU and Rottendog driver and power supply boards. The cpu does not fully boot at power up and the displays are out. But when turning off the machine the displays come on for about two seconds and go out. Don't know if ground mods have been done or any connector re-pinning, but what could cause this and where do you guys think I should start looking?

Thanks,

Alan

3 years later
#5930 1 year ago

The Ball Launch motor on my Hot Shots just quit. It was working fine. I tried an extra motor that I happened to have, still dead.
The voltage to the motor through connector A9J10/P10 should be around 120 VAC. My meter shows 54 VAC there. I cannot figure out where I'm losing 66 or so volts.
Any ideas ad to where to start looking? See pic below.

20230119_175034 (resized).jpg20230119_175034 (resized).jpg
#5934 1 year ago
Quoted from sparky672:

Is the "A" relay working? Are the "A" switch contacts fully closed and clean?

The "A" Relay works when a game is started, the contacts have been card cleaned. I got the A relay to work by repeatedly pressing the Interlock Switch and taping it down with the playfield up.

The varistor doesn't look blown or burnt, it's bright red, but could it still be bad?

It's tough to verify 120vac at the small transformer because there are no lugs like a Bally. The wires go down into the transformer. There are factory crimped wire nuts at the first junction between the green (5) wires coming out of the small transformer and the vio-brn-brn (711) and the vio-vio-vio- (777) wires going to A9J10 through the A switch and varistor. Should I remove these nuts to get a good reading on the transformer output?

Thanks for your help. Turning in, I'll check with you in the morning.

Alan

#5935 1 year ago

I cut myself off.

It's tough to get a good reading on the small transformer output because the wires go down inside the transformer unlike a Bally which has lugs. There are two factory-crimped wire nuts at the junction of the green (5) wires and the vio-brn-brn (711) wires and the vio-vio-vio- (777) wires. Should I remove these nuts to get an accurate reading of the transformer output?

The ohm reading on the varistor is 17.2.

Thanks for your help. Turning in, I'll check in in the morning.

Alan

#5940 1 year ago

Found the problem with my non-working Hot Shots' Ball Launch Assembly. After all the electrical back and forth, the cause was that some wretched doofus had replaced the set screw in the small white gear with a 1/4" machine screw. Sounds innocent but the outside of the screw was hitting on the bottom of the metal plate opposite the gear. The screw was actually digging into the metal and was preventing the shaft from spinning. Also, all the spinning shafts were gummy and dirty. After correcting those problems and it works great.

Many thanks for your help and advice to sparky672.

4 months later
#6165 10 months ago
Quoted from radial_head:

does anybody have a plastic set for The Games

Have you tried Steve Young at Pinball Resource?

5 months later
#6401 4 months ago

80b Hot Shots.

Solenoids and Ball Launch Motor rarely work. When starting a game, the Game Over "Q" Relay will energize for a second and a half, then de-energize for about 10 seconds, then energize for a second or so and then de-energize for 10 seconds. This just keeps going on and on. During the 1 second periods, the solenoids work but the Ball Launch motor rarely works. The "Q" relay energizes the "A" motor relay for the brief second when the solenoids work, and which is supposed to activate the Ball Launch motor. It seems like something is keeping the "Q" relay for staying energized.

The signal to the "Q" relay comes through the A3J3 connector, to the Z1 SN74175N Latch Flip-Flop on the Driver board, then back to the Z32 SN7417N Hex Buffer on the MPU.

I don't want to go ripping out chips willy-nilly here when it probably is something simpler. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Alan

1 month later
#6442 89 days ago
Quoted from John_In_WI:

Looking for a single flipper crank (Gottlieb A-16361). One with the plunger and link attached will work as well.

What machine, year?

1 week later
#6463 78 days ago
Quoted from EntityClay:

Hey all, earlier this week I joined the club!

Kitty approved.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
Machine - For Sale
Portland, OR
$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Calgary, AB
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alan_l.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club?tu=alan_l and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.