(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Sammer
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5634 Gold Wings Settings page Posted by mbaumle (1 year ago)

Post #5771 Arena settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Post #5801 Robowar settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RWH.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#46 10 years ago

If you dial your Star Race in correctly it will be more than challenging. The shots have to be spot on, right spot and speed, especially the upper right kickout!

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Today is Juice up the Star Race day, bigger coils

Star Race will not need bigger coils if they're working. They are plenty strong enough on mine.

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Star Race is getting better

Very under rated game, shots must be spot on to really get this game rolling. Love mine, it is the only pin I've kept from the begin.

1 month later
#317 10 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Who has a machine that THUNKS. My BH has every time it has been powered up for over 10years.

Ditto for my Star Race for over 15yrs. I don't believe I've ever had a system80 that didn't thunk when turned on.

1 month later
#407 10 years ago
Quoted from Hotelone:

Late to this thread but here's my Roller Disco

Pretty sweet looking. All the old Gottliebs BG's and PF's have fantastic art, thanks for posting the pic's.

2 years later
#1112 7 years ago

Need to adjust (align) my flippers on my Star Race. I know that you have two bolts with allen heads and that you must loosen them to make adjustments. What I want to know is if it's necessary to loosen both or just one? I'm assuming that one bolt allows you to adjust height relative to the playfield and the other allows you to align left/right (towards or away from center drain) so if this is correct, does anyone know which bolt controls alignment rather than height adjustment?

#1114 7 years ago

Thx Cactus, I'll check it out tomorrow morning. Right now I'm going in to see the new Jason Bourne movie!

3 months later
#1155 7 years ago

Has that Spirit been under water at sometime? Door mech looks to have major water spots all over it.

1 month later
#1260 7 years ago
Quoted from twoplays25c:

OK, I'll play.
Got it in April, 2010.
And it's still enjoyed, thank you Edd!

That's a good looking Cleopatra, is it a restoration?

8 months later
#1629 6 years ago

Wow didn't think I'd see that many spirits together in one place until I was dead!

2 weeks later
#1646 6 years ago
Quoted from swampshroom:

Recently I've been doing some videos for YouTube, and it just so happens that nearly all of them have been repair how-to's on my gottlieb machines

Looking forward to viewing your repair videos, thanks for posting they're available.

1 month later
#1715 6 years ago

There is a volume control (trim pot) inside the coin door and bottom right, have you tried to adjust it there?

2 weeks later
#1725 6 years ago

PBresource sells rebuild kits that come with everything you'll need except one item I believe.

#1728 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Any one else running the Pascal all in one board?

My advice is to contact them, many on this site have spoken well about their problem solving.

1 week later
#1750 6 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

Hey Guys... i am sure this is a long shot, but my motor went on the auger on my big house. I checked with Marco and PR and it is obsolete. is there anyone here with a chance they would have one lying around for sale?

As Cactus Stated PBR sells the parts to fix it and I think they offer a repair service for them too. Not 100% positive but worth the call.

#1753 6 years ago

Run some wanted ads and see what comes your way. Lots of platforms to drop one on.

4 weeks later
#1806 6 years ago

That is cool, where did you get it? Did you have the logo put on it or did it come that way?

#1814 6 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

Added victory to the club!

What is that other pin you have there?

2 months later
#1972 6 years ago

Are the lot numbers printed on the chips? I hope if they are the Op post them so others can check their own.

4 months later
#2280 5 years ago
Quoted from Andreas:

My workshop right now

Looks like you better get to working!

#2293 5 years ago
Quoted from vaevictis:

My buddy worked with F-14s at one point during his career,

F-14 Tomcat would have been dead on for him.

#2299 5 years ago

Very nice, how do you like the play?

4 weeks later
#2370 5 years ago

You can test your sound board by pressing the black button on the sound board itself, it will play some attract sounds if all is well. The two dip switches there can affect sound as well.

#2373 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Here is what mine does.

Do you have another system80 machine? If so you can swap boards and see if its a board problem, switch roms as well when you do it. Big Daddy enterprises has pascal plug and play for circus at $124 and change. I have two one for circus and one for star race, love 'em. Keep my original boards as backup or if I ever sold.

3 weeks later
#2433 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

So now that I know my MPU is still not working what are my options?

You can trace down the problem and fix it or you can get a replacement board. Personally if I were to go the new board route, I'd get a 4 in 1 from pascal. I have one in my circus and I love it. I've also got the original boards that are fully functional should I later decide to sell.

1 week later
#2468 5 years ago

I ground down one of those eyeglass screwdrivers and have use it to do both my pins without problems.

#2473 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Go to Johns Jukes website.
He has the mods broken down by System 1, 80 80A and 80B.

Do you have a link for this? I went to a site but could find no instructions etc., only pinball parts for sale.

#2480 5 years ago

Check to see if all your switches are open.

#2481 5 years ago

You can check the switches etc. by booting up and then opening coin door, use the red button above your slam switch, just press it as many times as needed. I believe it is 18 and 20 that test switches.

1 week later
#2503 5 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Also, want to know if there is a manual or something to tell me what the LEDs mean on the boards.

The guy who made those boards used to be on this site, have you tried to pm him?

1 week later
#2521 5 years ago

The Spiderman is a good one, love the play and if tuned in it will be pretty fast for its time.

1 week later
#2540 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Boom! Swapped out those two diodes and all (most) of the switches work.

Great glad you've got it going!

#2547 5 years ago

Genie is a beautiful machine, all the D. Gottliebs were great.

1 week later
#2553 5 years ago

When you go through both side lanes that have the blue lights it will light the spinner. Circus is really a great game, love mine.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/circus-gottlieb-1980-fans-and-members-welcome

There are videos showing game play and scoring. Second video shows how to light different features.

1 month later
#2605 5 years ago
Quoted from slgerber:

I have rebuilt all 4 flippers on my Gottlieb Star Race. I still have problems making the figure 8 loop at the top left corner. The current flipper coils are A-17875, is there a replacement coil with a little more "umph" ?

I have no problem making the loop shot. Are you sure you have the flippers aligned correctly? You can put stronger coils in but you'll risk breaking or cracking plastics, especially the one where the upper kick out is on the right. Make sure your flippers are not sagging any, mine are angled just slightly upwards. Star Race is a great game if setup correctly.

#2610 5 years ago

I can't remember what thread it was in but Blown Fuse (rest his soul) had put a capacitor somewhere down the line per/Janin Pascal so you could send him an email and ask him what to do. Steve said it made is so snappy that he changed back due to worries over broken plastics. The thread was old 4- yrs ago so if I were you I'd look at all the threads about star race.

#2611 5 years ago

Found it in this thread, it's post #67 check it out. Steve was a wealth of great info. Hope this helps you

#2613 5 years ago

I have mine at 6 degrees and it's pretty fast, 6.5 may be too much.

4 weeks later
#2676 5 years ago

The head has four bolts that hold it on, just be sure to unplug your harnesses and color code if you're not familiar with Gottlieb 80's pins.

#2677 5 years ago

Those bolts are readily accessible behind the back glass in the head.

1 week later
#2728 5 years ago

Looks fantastic! Fire it up and play!

#2750 5 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

Update to paragraph above: During gameplay, "Shoot Again" light still not activating, but I know those sockets work based on the diagnostic.

Have you checked the dip switch positions, specifically no#22 which controls whether the special lights up and awards or it gives extra ball during game mode?

#2751 5 years ago

You're likely to know this already but be sure the pin is turned off before you change any dip switches or plug and unplug boards, displays etc..

2 weeks later
#2840 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Put it in switch test and start shaking. The switches (likely rebounds) are too sensitive. Adjust them to be more open but still close when you hit with a ball

Agree, sounds like a simple adjustment of switches with to narrow of a gap.

4 weeks later
#2938 5 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Does anyone know if the hardware was common to any other Gottlieb game?

If it matches the system one mech or not you may be able to get what you need from PBR (pinball resource). I would text or call and ask.

2 months later
#3051 4 years ago

Check your header pins for cracks and reflow them as a start. Also use a pencil eraser and clean all the card edges and reset before you power it back up after reflowing.

1 month later
#3106 4 years ago
Quoted from Andreas:

A1-j7 is repinned and groundmods done.

Check A1-J7 closely and make sure all in the right place, same with the ground mods.

#3108 4 years ago

You are missing segments on 2 displays it looks like to me. That is controlled by either chip z19, z21, z23 do you have the cpu board schematics? One of those chips has a bad leg.

#3120 4 years ago
Quoted from Lathroum:

Also where do I get pins and the tool to repin the connectors?

You can it all from GPE (great Plains Electronics) Ed will take good care of you.

2 weeks later
#3139 4 years ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

missing just 1 full digit?

I think it's a problem with the display itself. Have you exchanged the display position with another to see if the problem follows the display? Do this with the machine off and reboot and check. If that one digit problem shows up when its anywhere else it is the display. Likely the und6116 chip.

2 weeks later
#3152 4 years ago

Looks nice.

2 weeks later
#3163 4 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Just looking for a little more power.

Careful, there have been a few on here that have done just what you are proposing and replacing with a stronger coil ended in a lot of broken plastics.

1 month later
#3214 4 years ago

Hey guys just want to get a few opinions. I'm going to rebuild the flippers on my Star Race and ordered the kits from PBR; well I just noticed they do not have the shaft in them, do you think it's important to change those as well? The only thing I thought could be wrong with the old would be indentations from set screws so if that's good what else could there be?

#3216 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Does any board repair shop or company buy old board sets?
I have 2 sys1 games and am replacing all boards and all displays. And while the stock boards may not be worth a lot it would be nice to offset the cost of the new gear and pass boards on to someone.

Put them up for sale on the site. I'd bet someone on here will purchase them.

#3222 4 years ago

Lol yeah I've noticed that the heads look empty after you install a pascal system.

#3224 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I'll be selling this Pinball Pool, so it should make a solid game with pascal and new BP led displays.

Boy the price of that Pascal board is gonna eat a lot of potential profit isn't it?

#3225 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Just fyi, boston pinball is making new led displays for sys1/sys80, so if you wanted them, contact them!

I'll check that out, be nice if they were just plug -n- play!

2 weeks later
#3272 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I'd go with NVRAM, but I don't have the skills to install a socket.

Chris Hibler installed my NVRAMs and he did a fantastic job. Contact him and he will do you right.

#3288 4 years ago

I have a Circus and I love it, great shots, sounds are of the time but I do like the little calliope ditties, and offers a good amount of shot variety. I've heard others say it's similar to Genie and to be honest I don't get it other than some similarities in PF layout. IMHO they play completely different. Circus is super wide with the PF area damn near a full 3 inches wider but with all that extra space it still play fast and loses no flow. I will never get rid of my Gottlieb super wide bodies.

1 month later
#3353 4 years ago

Saw those pics, you did one hell of a job, actually one of the best I've seen on here over the years.

3 weeks later
#3414 4 years ago

Check with PBR Steve had replacement motors I believe and he may also have the bracket. I would call directly and ask as he has many items not listed on his site.

#3424 4 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

It's missing all the trim. What kind of trim did gottlieb use for the System 80b translights? Also, what kind of lift channel did they use? I'd like to put together some parts, and I want to be prepared before sending in my email to pbresource.

Steve did have the trim and channel at PBR but you'll have to contact them and see if it is still in stock. I bought four pieces of the trim from them just last year for my Circus.

#3426 4 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Last I checked, a lot was out of stock. It doesn't have to be "the right" trim, just trim that works, honestly. I'll use generic stuff if I have to. I'm more concerned about the lift channel.

It always says it's out of stock. Just call them or email them and they will tell you what hardware etc. you'll need. If you can't get the trim I'll look through my stuff and see what I have left and send it to you if needed. Do you just need the normal 3 pieces of trim? They do have to be cut down length wise unless you have ultra widebodies like mine then they're just a tiny bit short.

#3428 4 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Yea, I just need the 3 pieces, and the lift channel piece that runs along the bottom. I appreciate you looking, I'll check with steve first, since I have to order a bunch of other stuff from him anyway.

Okay but if you need it I only have 2 pieces left, so after you check with PBR let me know if you need it. Surely someone would come off the other piece. The lift channel may be a problem I don't know.

1 week later
#3447 4 years ago

Might be better off buying the whole board off CL if the above $135.00 is the only option.

1 week later
#3481 4 years ago

How many times have we heard that, Steve to the rescue!

1 week later
#3511 4 years ago

Have you looked at the switches to see if they need adjustment or cleaning? I'd also look closely and see if they may be gummed up with old wax as well.

#3517 4 years ago
Quoted from callmedoor:

Here's something new: The rollovers work flawlessly when I have the playfield up, but as soon as I put it down or shortly after hitting the pops they cease working. Could this still just be a gunky switch issue? Or could it be something different?

Check for loose connections in the wiring especially around the pop bumper area. Sounds like something is loose that is connected to the pops. Do you have a manual? If so look to see which connector(s) and wires drive those rollovers and pops, likely they're on the same line.

Make sure you do the switch test as mentioned above.

4 months later
#3790 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just realized Panthera has a plastic spinner. Bummer. Haha. Anyway the metal gottlieb spinner can be installed

Both of mine have plastic too probably all Gottlieb used in the early boards.

#3804 3 years ago

Does anybody replace their crappy eaten up non-adhesive pop bumper mylar with adhesive mylar rings? Suggestions<

Make sure you wax it before you put the adhesive mylar down and it will aide you greatly should you ever have to pull it. I have taken the old non-adhesive ones off (cut them) then cleaned under them and instead of taking the pop bumper off I cut the new adhesive one in half and applied them half at a time making sure to line the two halves up.

#3805 3 years ago
Quoted from Sputnik:

Brought Haunted House home today

Beautiful pin and a blast to play to boot, congrats on a great pin!

2 months later
#3990 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

original 6 digit displays.

Damn near indestructible it seems, when something does go wrong usually minor so long as you haven't damaged a nipple.

1 week later
#4014 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Hmm you must have some privacy setting tight on your location/avatar?

He's from Japan just look at his picture, Gwodzilra! Of coarse I kid I kid

1 week later
#4042 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Where are the serial numbers on system 80b games like Monte Carlo and diamond lady?

I believe they are most times on the stretcher inside. I have 2 system80's though and one has the numbers on the stretcher and the other has it on top of the back box and they were produced only a couple months or so apart.

#4049 3 years ago

I just always just use frisket

2 weeks later
#4117 3 years ago

Sweet looks fantastic!

#4120 3 years ago

@ Chuckwurt What do you think about the play? Got the typical 80's sound but I really like it when I got to play one.

#4122 3 years ago

Those knockers will startle you if you're not prepared lol they're loud! Star Race is the same when it comes to your shots having to be dead on and if not you pay the price! Enjoy it, I love the early 80's Gottliebs

3 weeks later
#4223 3 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

Or if you have one - let me know!

Check with PBR I'm not 100% positive but I think Steve rebuilds them or offers alternative motors for some Gottleib games.

1 week later
#4262 3 years ago

Love system80's and I have to say it saddened me when more people started buying them over the last 4-5yrs, cut down my continuous stream in and out! Lol

2 weeks later
#4302 3 years ago

I had to replace housing and couldn't find the right size so I just bought the larger size and cut it to size I needed.

1 week later
#4359 3 years ago

Very very nice work!

4 months later
#4597 2 years ago
Quoted from vipe155:

Edit: I checked with them and PBR doesn't have this part.

I would say you should just post a "wanted to buy" showing what you need someone on the site will have it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RWH.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club?tu=RWH and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.