(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,542 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by bajm
  • Topic is favorited by 323 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #5634 Gold Wings Settings page Posted by mbaumle (1 year ago)

Post #5771 Arena settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Post #5801 Robowar settings page Posted by BorgDog (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jahkub.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3823 3 years ago

Picked this up the other week, seems so alien inside compared to other systems I've worked on. The gameplay looks very basic for the era but I'm sure some cubs fan out there will love it once I rehab it.
I learned that this is the first alpha numeric machine and also the first game with high score initials. Kind of a neat little slice of pinball history.

20200724_131942 (resized).jpg20200724_131942 (resized).jpg
#3826 3 years ago
Quoted from the9gman:

will be interesting to see what you get into when you fix that. My first guess would be if the thing has a daughter board on game prom 1 usually always find bad or cracked solder joints on the prom chip socket. seeing as that was one of the first 80B systems I would guess that the caps on the display have degraded there are two 10uf caps and one 470uf cap that get weak. On my last unit the 10uf caps read 1pf and the 470 dropped to 360uf. Not to mention the normal battery corrosion stuff

I haven't dug far into it yet, waiting on schematics before I even power it up to test voltages. I does have the daughter board, thanks for the tips. Thankfully it has caps in the battery area so other than some dust, the boards look good.

#3827 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Almost looks like a street level game Gottlieb was selling 1990-1991.
Simple game with no ramps and basic mechs to reduce downtown for pins in more remote locations. Not as expensive as other games of the timeframe or as prone to downtime.

Looking at the playfield I assumed it was late 70's/ early 80's, heck, even early 80's gottliebs had way more going on than this game.

3 weeks later
#3867 3 years ago

Nearly finished rehabbing this oddball.

20200828_153412 (resized).jpg20200828_153412 (resized).jpg
#3879 3 years ago

I see the one wire to the cabinet having the advantage of avoiding strain on the individual wires that are soldered onto the boards. Also be sure to remove the anodized layer from the heat sink.

#3883 3 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

I wouldn't use the heatsink as a GND. The metal case from the LM338K regulator at the heatsink is connected to 5V. It is isolated from the heatsink with a thin mica shim. You are creating a potential short circuit between 5V and GND when connecting the heatsink to GND. It is safer to run GND wires to the yellow strap in the head as you suggested before.

That's a great point.

1 month later
#3977 3 years ago
Quoted from stumptown:

Working on a Triple Play, and have been getting it more and more reliable but still dogged by random resets... When they happen the displays fill with asterisks (but no TILT like I see when I trigger the slam and tilt switches so I don't think it's a problem with those), and the game drops back to game over mode.
It has an aftermarket MPU so that probably rules out half the causes. I've also completed replaced the contacts everywhere in the backbox harness, and replaced everything except the connector bodies for the inter-board harness. 5V power supply seems stable to me and is sitting at 5.1V. Did the ground mod down in the main cab and all of the grounds are bolted right to the power block frame. Replaced all of the contacts in the Molex connectors going up to the playfield and backbox from there too. I'm also going to do the ground chaining between the backbox boards, and replace that filter cap on the main power block.
The resets seem to happen mostly when flipping, particularly the left flipper... So I'm going to check the diodes on the switches. This is the only Gottlieb 80B I've worked on but am I right in assuming there should be capacitors on both the cabinet switches and EOS switches like you'd find on other manufacturers' pins? From looking at parts diagrams they seem like they're called for. They're absent on this pin, which doesn't surprise me given some of the other janky bullshit I'm finding. From reading back in older threads, and from working on other pins with similar issues, those missing caps seem likely to be part of the problem here.
Am I on the right track here? Any suggestions from experience as to other things to check?

Does the new MPU use the reset board? Just spit balling here.
https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Reset_Board

Doing the board grounds would be where I'd start though.

#3982 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Went to work on my friends Roller disco. Rottendog driver board and the outhole kicker was staying locked.... rotten dog uses the 13N10L transistors, I don't have any on hand, and I'm assuming I'll have to replace with the same, no sub?
I'll replace the coil diode (1N4004) and transistor at the same time.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mosfet-13n10l-subplease
Maybe this will help?

3 months later
#4369 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballemporium:

I just picked up a load of parts from a former pinball tech that worked for a local distributor. There were about 15-20 Gottlieb system 80 boards/displays which he had repaired on the shelf ready to swap. Trying to gauge a value on sound boards, driver boards, power supplies/displays. All are very clean. Just a sample, I have multiples of each. Thanks for the help.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I'm not sure on value but I know PumRibby could use some of those for his Black Hole and Haunted House projects.

2 months later
#4501 3 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

its a Goldwings, dunno if its in that list of games that must have the modification? werent those just the last 4 games?

It says NOT to do this to the last 4 games as they used a N.O. slam switch. I didn't see goldings named as one of the last 4 games.

Edit: I just went back and saw that you're having a different problem, sorry.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodhaven, MI
$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

1,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Massillon, OH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jahkub.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club?tu=Jahkub and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.