(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Sammer
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 97 of 131.
#4801 2 years ago

Any current sources for 27" Gottlieb legs? I need to get a set for a Buck Rogers. Has Williams legs on it for now but it is a bit too tall. Are they going to be reproduced?

If I can get some decent chrome ones I can evaporust them or if I can get decent painted legs I can always repaint them. Anyone have an extra old set stashed away?

#4802 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Any current sources for 27" Gottlieb legs? I need to get a set for a Buck Rogers. Has Williams legs on it for now but it is a bit too tall. Are they going to be reproduced?
If I can get some decent chrome ones I can evaporust them or if I can get decent painted legs I can always repaint them. Anyone have an extra old set stashed away?

have you checked with pbresource to see if they have more repro in the works? they are the only ones I know of that normally sold them.

#4803 2 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

have you checked with pbresource to see if they have more repro in the works? they are the only ones I know of that normally sold them.

They showed out of stock but I will try e-mailing them.

#4804 2 years ago

27" legs seem hard to get, Marco is out also

#4805 2 years ago

They showed out of stock but I will try e-mailing them.

Don’t email Steve. Just call him.

#4806 2 years ago
Quoted from Timmo:

Don’t email Steve. Just call him.

I did get a response and they said they are expecting more in October so some are on the way. Still hope that that I can find a set before then but at least I know I'll be able to get them eventually.

#4807 2 years ago

I think I have my boards ready to test for my Buck Rogers. Just going through and repinning all the connectors. Quite a few pins going to the MPU had broken contacts with no connection. I don't mind crimping on all the new pins but popping out the old ones can be a huge pain. That is not my favorite part. If I can get that done tonight will see if I can get it going later this evening.

#4808 2 years ago

I did get a response and they said they are expecting more in October so some are on the way. Still hope that that I can find a set before then but at least I know I'll be able to get them eventually.

Email Jimmy and tell him to put your name on the list for the legs. That way when they arrive, yours get shipped out first before others call in and grab them or he will email you when they arrive. Either way let him know.

#4809 2 years ago

I bought a set from PBResource a month or so ago. The web site says out of stock but he has some stored back.

#4810 2 years ago
Quoted from RGarriott:

I bought a set from PBResource a month or so ago. The web site says out of stock but he has some stored back.

Always call.

#4811 2 years ago

Where is the best place to get these?

Thanks!!

20210921_225354 (resized).jpg20210921_225354 (resized).jpg
#4812 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Thanks!!
[quoted image]

The pinball resource.

#4813 2 years ago

Thanks!!
[quoted image]

PBResource. Just ordered some 2 wks ago for my robowar. They look good but what a pain in the a$$. They are hard to get on and even harder to get off.

#4815 2 years ago
Quoted from RGarriott:

They are hard to get on and even harder to get off.

Thanks for the PR tip guys!!

Sometimes they can be a nuisance, but I find 9 times out of 10 they go smoothly... I tend to start them by hand with a small twist so they bight, then use a wrench while my thumb is pressed on the head to encourage them on... sometimes they can grip the post too hard and mess the post thread up in the playfield, that's when things go bad and you have to fill the hole with a tooth-pick... at least that's what I do...

#4816 2 years ago

Thanks for the PR tip guys!!
Sometimes they can be a nuisance, but I find 9 times out of 10 they go smoothly... I tend to start them by hand with a small twist so they bight, then use a wrench while my thumb is pressed on the head to encourage them on... sometimes they can grip the post too hard and mess the post thread up in the playfield, that's when things go bad and you have to fill the hole with a tooth-pick... at least that's what I do...

I've had good luck using a shallow nut driver.

#4817 2 years ago

This tool from PBR also helps to hold the post in place when working with those acorn nuts. Fits perfectly under the plastics.
Part # GTB-26181+

gtb-26181i (resized).jpggtb-26181i (resized).jpg
#4818 2 years ago
Quoted from gjm:

This tool from PBR also helps to hold the post in place when working with those acorn nuts. Fits perfectly under the plastics.

Now I know what I want for Christmas!!

#4819 2 years ago

Now I know what I want for Christmas!!

Great stocking stuffer

#4820 2 years ago

If a new coil (not installed) is supposed to read 12 ohms but instead reads 11.3, is that ok?
Is there a plus/minus range that is ok when checking?

#4821 2 years ago

Not all dmms are spot on accurate.
And even 2 identical meters could give you a different reading.

#4822 2 years ago
Quoted from gjm:

Great stocking stuffer

The one from Titan Pinball works great as well.

PinWrench1-800x800 (resized).jpgPinWrench1-800x800 (resized).jpg
#4823 2 years ago

I ordered that tool from PBResource when I ordered the nuts.

#4824 2 years ago

Hey all. In search of a 19 Position Single Sided Edge Connector for A1J6 on Sys80 MPUs. 4-4-4-3-4 (edit: corrected key arrangement) keyed/notched would be ideal. Please please please let me know if you have one. Not looking to buy the ones from Docent (too many bad experiences with those connectors).

#4825 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Hey all. In search of a 19 Position Single Sided Edge Connector for A1J6 on Sys80 MPUs. 4-4-4-4-3 keyed/notched would be ideal. Please please please let me know if you have one. Not looking to buy the ones from Docent (too many bad experiences with those connectors).

I have some donor harness and I can send you one for shipping. It's actually 4-4-4-3-4 (same as display connectors). It's got the IDC pins in it but they can be removed and replaced with standard .156 crimps

#4826 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

I have some donor harness and I can send you one for shipping. It's actually 4-4-4-3-4 (same as display connectors). It's got the IDC pins in it but they can be removed and replaced with standard .156 crimps

THE LEGENDARY CHEDDAR COMING THROUGH.

Sending you a PM right now.

#4827 2 years ago

First post for help....

I bought a Panthera a month or so ago. My first Gottlieb sys 80. Originally played with a few issues. Some lights were on all the time, some not on. 2 of 3 white drop targets would immediately drop. It was recommended that I repin all connectors, I replaced all except double sided. Now lights up and makes sound, but not the initial sound. Wont start

#4828 2 years ago
Quoted from Dwboca:

First post for help....
I bought a Panthera a month or so ago. My first Gottlieb sys 80. Originally played with a few issues. Some lights were on all the time, some not on. 2 of 3 white drop targets would immediately drop. It was recommended that I repin all connectors, I replaced all except double sided. Now lights up and makes sound, but not the initial sound. Wont start

The first thing to do on any Gottlieb is to do the ground mods - the ones on the transformer and the ones on the circuit boards.
If they have not been done, check here : https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Ground_updates

#4829 2 years ago
Quoted from Dwboca:

First post for help....

Repin the mpu to driver board cable (the double sided one) That one is a must. Do your displays work but just show 1s and or 0s? If so, it is likely the kill switch in the door. That needs to be closed or the game won't start.

#4830 2 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

The first thing to do on any Gottlieb is to do the ground mods - the ones on the transformer and the ones on the circuit boards.
If they have not been done, check here : https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Ground_updates

Will read this then do, thanks for link

#4831 2 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Repin the mpu to driver board cable (the double sided one) That one is a must. Do your displays work but just show 1s and or 0s? If so, it is likely the kill switch in the door. That needs to be closed or the game won't start.

I guess I'll have to read more about this one and execute. This looks much harder than others. Displays don't have any numbers, as of now

#4832 2 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:Repin the mpu to driver board cable (the double sided one) That one is a must. Do your displays work but just show 1s and or 0s? If so, it is likely the kill switch in the door. That needs to be closed or the game won't start.

I thought those bifurcated crimps were obsolete and impossible to find now. Is there an alternative that works well?

#4833 2 years ago

These guys have them already on the wires. I'm not sure if they are real or knockoffs.

https://www.docentelectronics.com/httpdocs/AmusementGames/Pinball/Gottlieb/system%2080.htm

I have personally been making the MPU to Driver cables for years with all NOS parts but my supply is beginning to run dry also. I only have enough parts to make another dozen.

#4834 2 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

These guys have them already on the wires. I'm not sure if they are real or knockoffs.
https://www.docentelectronics.com/httpdocs/AmusementGames/Pinball/Gottlieb/system%2080.htm
I have personally been making the MPU to Driver cables for years with all NOS parts but my supply is beginning to run dry also. I only have enough parts to make another dozen.

Yeah I've dealt with Docent before. I don't know what kind of supply he has, but for personal reasons, I'd rather not deal with him again. I'd like to just find a suitable alternative instead.

#4835 2 years ago

This post has a link to a guy who has them at .30 each https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-to-buy-obsolete-gottlieb-sys-80-edge-connector-crimp-terminals#post-3760284

Each interconnect takes 66 of these if you double up the GND and 5V

#4836 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

This post has a link to a guy who has them at .30 each https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-to-buy-obsolete-gottlieb-sys-80-edge-connector-crimp-terminals#post-3760284

Also for the short cables if you attempt to reuse the wire they can be too short after cutting off the old crimps

#4837 2 years ago

FYI, PBR is now saying November for restock of 27" legs.

#4838 2 years ago

Guys and gals,
Looking for a plastic for the Spider-Man. A-19721. The one with the skyscraper on it. Stock photo below. Mine has a pretty large corner missing.

And i know it’s not this thread, but none the less a Gottlieb…ISO a rebound bracket for an EM I got that was missing it. Image also attached. Let me know if you can help me out with one, or the other, or perhaps both!

Thanks, Chad

474C3643-376D-44A2-A021-9CCEA53BD438 (resized).jpeg474C3643-376D-44A2-A021-9CCEA53BD438 (resized).jpegD453DA1A-0B61-4B68-A8D1-F18EE4DEE085 (resized).jpegD453DA1A-0B61-4B68-A8D1-F18EE4DEE085 (resized).jpeg Added over 3 years ago:

EDIT: I've got the EM rebound bracket coming. Should be to me this weekend. Thanks @gjm!! Still looking for the A-19721 Spiderman plastic.

#4839 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

This post has a link to a guy who has them

Unfortunately that's Bob Robert's, his site shows that its been down since 2016.

#4840 2 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Unfortunately that's Bob Robert's, his site shows that its been down since 2016.

My apologies, I dug into my emails and this is where I made my last order https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com/store/pinball-kits-parts/pinball-parts/bifurcated-edge-connector-split-pins-18-24-awg-100-pack-me1004/

#4841 2 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Try the link in this post https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bob-roberts-alive

#4842 2 years ago
Quoted from REGNE:

Guys and gals,
Looking for a plastic for the Spider-Man. A-19721. The one with the skyscraper on it. Stock photo below. Mine has a pretty large corner missing.
And i know it’s not this thread, but none the less a Gottlieb…ISO a rebound bracket for an EM I got that was missing it. Image also attached. Let me know if you can help me out with one, or the other, or perhaps both!
Thanks, Chad
[quoted image][quoted image]

If you can get someone to scan the original, Mr_Tantrum can make you a replica.

#4843 2 years ago
Quoted from REGNE:

http://pbresource.com/signatur.html Pinball Resource has reproduced them in the past, although they currently show as out of stock. I suggest inquiring; I strongly suspect they will re-run them when they can.

#4844 2 years ago
Quoted from REGNE:

Guys and gals,
Thanks, Chad

Post in the looking for EM parts thread, fairly common EM part. I'll check my stash but dont think I have one myself.

#4845 2 years ago
Quoted from REGNE:

Guys and gals,
Thanks, Chad

I have the rebound bracket, I will pm you.

#4846 2 years ago

Hey everyone,

I have a couple of System 80 displays where the backing tape/adhesive holding the glass to the circuit board has given up (maybe dried out?). Any suggestions on what to buy to stick the glass back on?

#4847 2 years ago
Quoted from vipe155:

Hey everyone,
I have a couple of System 80 displays where the backing tape/adhesive holding the glass to the circuit board has given up (maybe dried out?). Any suggestions on what to buy to stick the glass back on?

I use this stuff https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotch-1-in-x-11-1-yds-Permanent-Double-Sided-Extreme-Mounting-Tape-414-LONGDC/205507375

#4848 2 years ago
Quoted from vipe155:

Hey everyone,

After cleaning off the old glue and tape residue with denatured alcohol, I just use a dime-size glob of clear silicone adhesive under the top two corners. It sticks well but can still be popped loose if ever needed. The main advantage is that it keeps a small gap behind the glass while still making really good contact over a potentially uneven, rough, or warped surface, and you have quite a bit of time to adjust position if needed before it sets up.

With tape, I always worry about failure with age, heat, or not making enough initial contact. And if the tape is too good (I actually have some that sticks as well as super-glue) you're never removing that display without breaking the PCB or the glass.

FWIW, I have original display boards with serial numbers that match my game, and with the silicone method, over the years I have been able to replace the glass tubes as needed without trouble.

#4849 2 years ago

Hopefully I dont get shot for this but I had to save this Alien Star. Or as I'm calling it now "Alien Scar"! The playfield was too bad to save so I decided to sand it down to a flat surface and then cleared it. I figured I'd get it all working that way when/if they repop the playfield I'll be ready. I actually like how it turned out and I am happy to have a playing game that I had been looking for for a very long time. Next up is Ice Fever. I'm using rubber rings I had on hand so thats a little hodge podge at the moment and PBResourse sent me the wrong caps but other than that its done for now.
-Jim
IMG_20210925_163502 (resized).jpgIMG_20210925_163502 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210927_135654 (resized).jpgIMG_20210927_135654 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210927_135703 (resized).jpgIMG_20210927_135703 (resized).jpg

#4850 2 years ago
Quoted from jim5six:

Hopefully I dont get shot for this but I had to save this Alien Star. Or as I'm calling it now "Alien Scar"! The playfield was too bad to save so I decided to sand it down to a flat surface and then cleared it. I figured I'd get it all working that way when/if they repop the playfield I'll be ready. I actually like how it turned out and I am happy to have a playing game that I had been looking for for a very long time. Next up is Ice Fever. I'm using rubber rings I had on hand so thats a little hodge podge at the moment and PBResourse sent me the wrong caps but other than that its done for now.
-Jim
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Should have went all the way and called it a whitewood.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hickory, NC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodhaven, MI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 97 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/97 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.