(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,542 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 20 hours ago by bajm
  • Topic is favorited by 323 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,542 posts in this topic. You are on page 87 of 131.
#4301 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Take a tiny flat head screwdriver and push down the tab in the pin from the window of the connector the work it out of the connector using the screwdriver. Might need some needle nosed pliers to get the wire and pin completely out.

i will try that out on the one connector size i couldn't find the right replacement connector for, thanks!

#4302 3 years ago

I had to replace housing and couldn't find the right size so I just bought the larger size and cut it to size I needed.

#4303 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Cut that IDC and throw it in the garbage. Replace with molex crimp .156 pins and new housing.

Ideally yes, but many of the specific Gottlieb edge connectors are no longer available, so he has no choice.

20201106_145607.jpg20201106_145607.jpg20201106_145740.jpg20201106_145740.jpg20201106_145528.jpg20201106_145528.jpg20201106_145740.jpg20201106_145740.jpg20201106_145740.jpg20201106_145740.jpg20201106_145740.jpg20201106_145740.jpg20201106_145740.jpg20201106_145740.jpg
#4304 3 years ago

I have absolutely no idea how those Volcano pics got into that post!!!!!

#4305 3 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

I had to replace housing and couldn't find the right size so I just bought the larger size and cut it to size I needed.

but don't they have specific tabs between certain pins numbers? did you cut those off too?

#4306 3 years ago

Anybody have a source in the US or have a couple of the Gottleib World logo stickers for the coin door on a Sinbad?

#4307 3 years ago
Quoted from falcon114:

Anybody have a source in the US or have a couple of the Gottleib World logo stickers for the coin door on a Sinbad?

http://www.pbresource.com/CoinDoor.html

scroll down till you spot them, or search the page for decal

#4308 3 years ago

Gents,

I am currently refurbishing the underside of my system 80 (Spider-Man) playfield (e.g. testing all the diodes and coils, etc.) before installing the new Pascal board.

There are two banks of 1N270 diodes that seem original (all read forward bias ~0.233).

I replaced a broken 1N270 with a replacement from Newark (new diode forward bias is 0.57).

https://www.newark.com/solid-state/1n270/rf-diode-pin-0-8pf-100v-do-7/dp/10P4366?scope=partnumberlookahead&ost=1N270&searchref=searchlookahead&exaMfpn=true

Is this variance significant or due to the nature of age of the older diodes the range seems plausible.

Reverse bias reads OL for all diodes

Thanks.

#4309 3 years ago

Man i miss my Volcano so much

#4310 3 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyPinball:

Is this variance significant or due to the nature of age of the older diodes the range seems plausible

there was a reason that Gottlieb used germanium diodes ...I believe it was due to de-bounce characteristics of the germanium diodes vs standard silicone ones on the strobe and return lines, at any rate I think you need to put a germanium one back in there or you may have problems

#4311 3 years ago

Thanks @the9gman.

Interesting thing is that I replaced it with a germanium diode. Package I received is same as item in link

ECB86D01-5CB3-469A-AFC1-2A2FD1BEB3E7 (resized).jpegECB86D01-5CB3-469A-AFC1-2A2FD1BEB3E7 (resized).jpeg
#4312 3 years ago

wow that's strange usually a germanium will read an average of .270 to .330 forward bias and a silicone will read .57 to .6 something its an rf diode so technically it should work

#4313 3 years ago

It looks like Mirco will be doing a small run of Alien Star playfields this spring!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/small-run-of-alien-star-playfields-/page/3#post-6055360

#4314 3 years ago

I ordered the manual for Devil's Dare from PBR, and believe that I have an issue with the bridge rectifiers in the body near the transformer.

Is there a post here or any notes someone could share on measurements of the three bridge rectifiers?

I have ordered a new 6800 mfd cap, couldn't seem to find a 10,000 mfd 40V cap, so hopefully will have good luck from Docent.

TIA

#4315 3 years ago

Check great plains electronics

#4316 3 years ago
FAD4787B-120A-42E2-A718-ED3D13CFFE3D (resized).jpegFAD4787B-120A-42E2-A718-ED3D13CFFE3D (resized).jpeg
#4317 3 years ago

I used these for my Amazing Spider-Man (1980, System 80)

E0AD6F4E-C114-445C-8FE8-67A522FE2BCD (resized).jpegE0AD6F4E-C114-445C-8FE8-67A522FE2BCD (resized).jpeg
#4318 3 years ago

Thanks, guys.

I think I have the rights bridge rectifiers as well as some spares on order - some of them don't have the positive leg rotated 90 degrees as I would expect, and am seeing what I expect to be incorrect voltages in diode test.

Also seeing incorrect voltage from power switch - reading 26VAC which I know is wrong and suspect the power switch to be faulty.

The plan is to replace the bridge rectifiers and power switch, but would like to know if there's a doc or whitepaper that shows what I should be measuring off of the bridge rectifiers out there.

I'm going to take pictures and label the BRs and cut and test out of the system, to be sure. But I'm seeing some odd reverse bias on the current BRs.

#4320 3 years ago

terryb has a website, http://pinballrehab.com/, that has tutorials for measuring rectifiers, diodes, etc. I'm having problems with the site ATM though.

#4321 3 years ago

Right, yes thank you. That's the way I've tested them in the past, but getting some weird reverse readings and wanted to know if there's anything 'funny' in the way they're wired up (didn't have the manual, waiting on replacements).

My gut tells me they need replacement, and I'm going to take them out of circuit and test as a sanity check.

#4322 3 years ago

Test them out of the game to be sure. I just diagnosed a bad BR in my Panthera and did all testing out of the game.

#4323 3 years ago

when a system 80B repair goes south and I mean really south. I have a Monte Carlo and it wouldn't do this all the time but seemed to glitch when you had a really good game going. The display would blank and never come back and the sounds would stop playing. When the ball drained the sound would come back on but the display would not. Turn the machine off then back on and everything was normal again. This problem came with the Machine which is why I think it was priced the way it was 1100 bucks. Finally got sick of it and figured it was probably the daughter board. This wasn't my first Rodeo but the problem was someone had got there before me and the daughter board was smashed all the way in ....I tried all the tricks and ended up with this a complete nightmare .....so I ordered a new swemmer board first picture is the damage second pic is the attempted repaid

IMG_1686 (resized).JPGIMG_1686 (resized).JPGIMG_1687 (resized).JPGIMG_1687 (resized).JPG
#4324 3 years ago

it didn't work so I ended up taking it back off ....swemmer board was not in yet and I ordered these and did this making the daughter board socketed so to speak and it did work. although I am not a fan of hot glue it was the only thing that would keep the traces down ....epoxy ,superglue, copper tape nothing would adhere to the board

IMG_1694 (resized).JPGIMG_1694 (resized).JPGIMG_1695 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_1695 (1) (resized).JPG
#4325 3 years ago

then the swemmer board came in so ....I installed it .....it didn't work ....all kinds of funky things started to happen .....it was not the swemmer board .....my 5 volt power supply was all over the place so took it out ....reworked the 5v supply ...new heatsink compound ....cleaned the resistor new solder on all the joints and the power supply was very stable at that point but every once in a while the stupid problem persisted . So took the display out and sure enough all the caps were bad the 470uf read 360uf the 3 10uf caps read 1uf so replaced them all and did some re-soldering on the display board .....any joint that looked suspect, put it back in and the problem seems to have gone away at least I hope so
not real proud of this repair but it works so guess I'm good with that

#4326 3 years ago
Quoted from the9gman:

it didn't work so I ended up taking it back off

I am interested in buying your old hack'd board. I have a few system 80B boards I'm in the process of fixing and testing.

#4327 3 years ago

its still in the machine working ...waiting on 5v 10 amp power supply to put the swemmer board back in ......The swemmer board is a nice piece of equipment but I believe with all the led's it draws more current so the plan is to put the new supply in with the original board and then give the swemmer another try to see if this is the main problem that people have problems with when they install these boards in their machines

#4328 3 years ago

There's a spendy but very good kit from Soldertools.net for replacing eyelets and traces.

I use the non-epoxy for trace repair (uses heat from soldering iron and heat tape - forget the brand name).

https://www.soldertools.net/circuit-frame-best13ackttrackdf/

^ that's one example of what they offer.

#4329 3 years ago
Quoted from the9gman:

its still in the machine working

Oh damn if it works then great! I guess I didn't read very well & missed it, in your posts. You definitely need a good power supply to test those sys80b games. I bought a new one off of eBay and use it for testing.

#4330 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

that's one example of what they offer.

that's a great link thanks

#4331 3 years ago

Help. On my Joker Poker. Been working fine, now the 10-J drops wont reset, they try, but don't come all the way up. if i lift the PF, so the coil is horizontal, they will reset. Coil resistance reads fine, as does the diode. i had this problem before, but don't remember what the fix was. hopefully someone can help.

#4332 3 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

Help. On my Joker Poker. Been working fine, now the 10-J drops wont reset, they try, but don't come all the way up. if i lift the PF, so the coil is horizontal, they will reset. Coil resistance reads fine, as does the diode. i had this problem before, but don't remember what the fix was. hopefully someone can help.

Weak springs?

#4333 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

Weak springs?

Weak springs would cause the opposite problem, no?

I would change your coils sleeves and rebuild the cross bar reset mech. Been a bit since I’ve had to mess with any of my gottlieb drops though so I could be wrong.

#4334 3 years ago

Good ground?

#4335 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Weak springs would cause the opposite problem, no?
I would change your coils sleeves and rebuild the cross bar reset mech. Been a bit since I’ve had to mess with any of my gottlieb drops though so I could be wrong.

i pulled the sleeve out and cleaned it, all seems to be fine. Nothing seems out of the ordinary. i will replace the sleeve, i just didn't have any with me.

Also in case you don't know the 10-Jack drops are on the same single reset coil. It is 3 total drop targets.

#4336 3 years ago

Perhaps bad coil, maybe there's some impingement on the path of the rod going into the solenoid perhaps some gunk? I'm trying to remember the assembly pieces...

I attached pics from a Cue Ball Wiz, thinking perhaps the spring, or spring washer may be positioned incorrectly also. I realize the drop targets may be a different style, but maybe they help someone.

Drop Target - disassembly back showing screws to remove (resized).jpgDrop Target - disassembly back showing screws to remove (resized).jpgPXL_20201130_225642735 (resized).jpgPXL_20201130_225642735 (resized).jpgPXL_20201130_225644654.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20201130_225644654.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20201130_235811698 (resized).jpgPXL_20201130_235811698 (resized).jpg
#4337 3 years ago

So as i said, nothing changed, we were playing. All was fine. i raised the pf to change a diode on the diode strip at the bottom of the pf, for the tilt circuit. Put the pf back down, and noticed the drops were staying down. Went into the test menu, and checked the coils, it tries to come up, but only comes up maybe 1/2", when i raise the pf to vertical, then that coil is horizontal, it raises them all the way. The mech seems smooth, i checked the resistance on the coil, it reads around 9.0 which according to pinwiki, is correct, i also compared to another of the same coil, and got the same readings. I checked the coil diode, it also reads as good.
While i was checking, i pulled the coil sleeve, and ran a paper towel through it, and wiped down the plunger. i haven't made any changes to the mech, changed any springs or anything.

#4338 3 years ago

anyone with an Alien Star can confirm what their upper right wire gate looks like? I am not sure if mine is a replacement but it doesn't fit right if the ball goes from left to right, it often gets stuck if it comes in slowly...

20210108_181325- (resized).jpg20210108_181325- (resized).jpg

#4339 3 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

So as i said, nothing changed, we were playing. All was fine. i raised the pf to change a diode on the diode strip at the bottom of the pf, for the tilt circuit. Put the pf back down, and noticed the drops were staying down. Went into the test menu, and checked the coils, it tries to come up, but only comes up maybe 1/2", when i raise the pf to vertical, then that coil is horizontal, it raises them all the way. The mech seems smooth, i checked the resistance on the coil, it reads around 9.0 which according to pinwiki, is correct, i also compared to another of the same coil, and got the same readings. I checked the coil diode, it also reads as good.
While i was checking, i pulled the coil sleeve, and ran a paper towel through it, and wiped down the plunger. i haven't made any changes to the mech, changed any springs or anything.

There's no guarantee of the diode coil being good if it's mounted on the coil - which in itself of course is a great big loop. Did you cut the diode and test?

#4340 3 years ago

Just wanted to give everybody an update on the Germanium 1N270 diode saga.

Bought diodes from Newark that were labeled as 1N270s - all 20 measured forward bias of ~0.5 (not in range of what a Germanium should read).

Received my order today from Jameco (labeled 1N270s) - all 20 measured forward bias of ~0.223 (correct range).

Just an FYI to the Gottlieb club since many machines use this particular diode.

#4341 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

anyone with an Alien Star can confirm what their upper right wire gate looks like? I am not sure if mine is a replacement but it doesn't fit right if the ball goes from left to right, it often gets stuck if it comes in slowly...
[quoted image]

I believe mine looks a bit different than that, but hard to tell from the angles.

per the manual it's a 21958, Marco has them. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/21958

PXL_20210109_214816292 (resized).jpgPXL_20210109_214816292 (resized).jpg
#4342 3 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyPinball:

Just wanted to give everybody an update on the Germanium 1N270 diode saga.
Bought diodes from Newark that were labeled as 1N270s - all 20 measured forward bias of ~0.5 (not in range of what a Germanium should read).
Received my order today from Jameco (labeled 1N270s) - all 20 measured forward bias of ~0.223 (correct range).
Just an FYI to the Gottlieb club since many machines use this particular diode.

Also a heads-up, not really Gottlieb related, but I got 20 out of 20 bad LM339s from Marco's recently.

#4343 3 years ago

I saw marco had 6808 ICs.
With that notice i think i will pass on ordering from marco on those.

#4344 3 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

Also in case you don't know the 10-Jack drops are on the same single reset coil. It is 3 total drop targets.

I did not know that! Thanks for the info. Good luck with your issue. Drop target reset issues always piss me off. I love drop target, until they dont work or need to be replaced.

Anybody in New England have some 6 digit displays they would sell me in person? I’ve had a set lost in the mail, looking to pick some up in person. Only need one really....

While I’m at it, any reason a failed display would fuck up the Non Controlled +38vdc?

#4345 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

There's no guarantee of the diode coil being good if it's mounted on the coil - which in itself of course is a great big loop. Did you cut the diode and test?

yes, removed 1 leg from coil before testing.

#4346 3 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

I believe mine looks a bit different than that, but hard to tell from the angles.
per the manual it's a 21958, Marco has them. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/21958
[quoted image]

Thanks, I'll compare with mine and buy it anyway

#4347 3 years ago

So today, i swapped the coil and diode between the 10-J drops, and the queens drops. the problem stayed at the 10-J, so must be something in the mech, or the plunger. Like i said, nothing changed, i didn't do anything to the mechs. 1 game they were working, and the next game they weren't. unless it isn's getting the correct power for some reason?

#4348 3 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

So today, i swapped the coil and diode between the 10-J drops, and the queens drops. the problem stayed at the 10-J, so must be something in the mech, or the plunger. Like i said, nothing changed, i didn't do anything to the mechs. 1 game they were working, and the next game they weren't. unless it isn's getting the correct power for some reason?

I don't have a schematic to that game, but I'm wondering if there's something up with that particular 10-J coil's circuit or perhaps the connector? I'd test the diode(s), transistor(s) and resistors to it. Should be on the solenoid/driver board...?

#4349 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

I don't have a schematic to that game, but I'm wondering if there's something up with that particular 10-J coil's circuit or perhaps the connector? I'd test the diode(s), transistor(s) and resistors to it. Should be on the solenoid/driver board...?

i am running a NiWumph driver and cpu board. But i will test all appropriate devices.

#4350 3 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

i am running a NiWumph driver and cpu board. But i will test all appropriate devices.

Ah, I didn't see that in prior posts. Might be something on the board, but hope not. Looks like a much more difficult rework on the driver board as it's surface-mount on some of those pieces.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Las Vegas, NV
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

1,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sullivan, WI
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,542 posts in this topic. You are on page 87 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/87?hl=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.