(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,539 posts
  • 650 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 36 hours ago by bajm
  • Topic is favorited by 322 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg
IMG_5720(1) (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,539 posts in this topic. You are on page 83 of 131.
#4101 3 years ago

what are the 80b mpu options these days? I see rd in stock. Have seen Swemmer but no place with them in stock.

Anyone else I'm missing? 1st time needing a mpu board so not certain what's out there.

Thanks

Mike

#4103 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

You should be able to, system 80s let you set in 10k increments.
There are free play roms available as well, in addition to 6-7 digit conversions.

Not sure about others but Alien Star is 100k increments, so not always achievable in tourneys. It helps enough though since most players in comps can get past that level.

I have a Pascal board ready to put in there for the next one, which has a freeplay feature included.

#4104 3 years ago
Quoted from Mtkst19:

what are the 80b mpu options these days? I see rd in stock. Have seen Swemmer but no place with them in stock

If you search on eBay for johan6685 you’ll see all the boards Swemmer has.
As of now (November 14) he only has one system 80 board remaining. Just bought one for my caveman. He is quick to answer any questions you may have.

#4105 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Not sure about others but Alien Star is 100k increments, so not always achievable in tourneys.

All system 80a are 100k increments. System 80a is actually internally a /10 setup built off of system 80 and they just add a dummy 0 to the 1's digit. (Similar to how Alien Poker did it).

That's why 7 digit 80a games have '00' instead of '0' at game start.

For tournaments there are people that have the keys so just keep loading up the credits or do one of the non-invasive methods, or put the free play roms in.

#4106 3 years ago

Panthera allows the high scores to increment by 10k.

#4107 3 years ago
Quoted from pinflip_:

If you search on eBay for johan6685 you’ll see all the boards Swemmer has.
As of now (November 14) he only has one system 80 board remaining. Just bought one for my caveman. He is quick to answer any questions you may have.

Thanks for info
Purchased it this morning

#4108 3 years ago
Quoted from stumptown:

Dug in some more on this fucker of a machine tonight, and had a nice breakthrough. I disconnected everything from the MPU except the power regulator and display, and it booted perfectly, so the problem wasn't with the MPU. Added connectors back on one by one until I found which one caused the no boot condition. It turned out to be the switch matrix connector. So I took advantage of the edge connector setup and just taped off sections of it until I found the pin that introduced the problem...
It turned out to be one of the switch return lines, pin 11, which serves some drop targets, and the pop bumpers. Which includes those pop bumper driver boards that Gottlieb loved. I tried disconnecting those and found that one in particular introduced the no boot condition. With that disconnected the game boots and plays pretty reliably. I got a stack of the pop bumper driver boards in a lot of parts I bought a while back so hopefully one of those is good.
Still had the display conk out on me once though... Worked fine til it didn't, worked fine again after power cycling the game. Still need to figure out what's going on there. Seems to always happen when you've got a good game going, too!

Okay, bit of an epilogue to this... The pop bumper driver boards I don't think were the problem (though I had two that hadn't been updated per the service bulletin, and took care of those). What seems to have actually been happening is that the 5v coming off the power supply was at a sweet spot where with all three pop bumper drivers connected it would pull low enough to prevent a boot a lot of the time, but with one removed it would stay high enough to allow it to boot most of the time. I bet this explains a lot of my random resets too. I adjusted the 5v up a bit and the machine boots consistently now, with all three pop drivers installed.

I'm still digging in to the display issue, but I think I got some good data about what's going on tonight. I played a bit after figuring out the 5v thing and reinstalling the third pop bumper driver, and had the displays cut out on me a few more times. I poked around with a multimeter when that happened, and I see both the 6.2v and 32V AC inputs looking good.

Then, I hooked up my oscilloscope, and sniffed around both when the displays were working, and when they were. Data coming in from the MPU looks fine to me, activity on those pins is about the same whether the displays are showing anything or not, and I can see it at the hex buffers and digit drivers. But... Given what I know about these displays it sounds like an intermittent interruption to the data flowing in would cause them to shut off until things were power cycled. So, I'm going to have another look at the connections between the MPU and display board.

#4109 3 years ago

I have a gottlieb The Games Sys80A. Need a good diagram of how to do the ground mod and then any other modifications to make this game somewhat reliable. Any help would be greatly appreciated

#4111 3 years ago
Quoted from Mtkst19:

what are the 80b mpu options these days? I see rd in stock. Have seen Swemmer but no place with them in stock.
Anyone else I'm missing? 1st time needing a mpu board so not certain what's out there.
Thanks
Mike

myPinballs is making one up for me for my Robowar, aka applejuice on here I think. Doing the Whirlwind rewrite/thread.
Here in the UK though.
https://mypinballs.com/electronics/store.jsp

#4112 3 years ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

myPinballs is making one up for me for my Robowar, aka applejuice on here I think. Doing the Whirlwind rewrite/thread.
Here in the UK though.
https://mypinballs.com/electronics/store.jsp

I've used 3 of his 80b boards and I have been very happy with them. He also usually has them in stock and ready to ship.

#4113 3 years ago

I'm looking for some help with the switch matrix and solenoids for James Bond 007.
I need the wiring information to complete the Tech Chart I'm creating.
I have a manual pdf, but it does not have the schematics.
Anyone here can shoot me some images please?

Peter
http://www.inkochnito.nl

#4114 3 years ago
Quoted from SeymorGoldfarbJr:

I've used 3 of his 80b boards and I have been very happy with them. He also usually has them in stock and ready to ship.

He just sold the last one when I asked him for one but I had some boards for him to check for me so all good. Should have it soonish.

#4115 3 years ago

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but since 80bs are included....does anyone have spare metal side ramps for Gold Wings? One of mine busted off from the mounting bracket. Marco used to sell them but they are out of stock. ^_^

#4116 3 years ago

All done! This is one super nice Panthera now.

7AF0D418-6BD5-41C8-898C-24280AEDBF27 (resized).jpeg7AF0D418-6BD5-41C8-898C-24280AEDBF27 (resized).jpeg
#4117 3 years ago

Sweet looks fantastic!

#4118 3 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Sweet looks fantastic!

Thanks again for the tip on Mayfair! Way better than waiting for months for a BG resto assuming Mayfair has the glass you need.

#4119 3 years ago
Quoted from tait316:

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but since 80bs are included....does anyone have spare metal side ramps for Gold Wings? One of mine busted off from the mounting bracket. Marco used to sell them but they are out of stock. ^_^

Can you post a pic of what you mean? I might have what you want but I’m not sure of your description.

#4120 3 years ago

@ Chuckwurt What do you think about the play? Got the typical 80's sound but I really like it when I got to play one.

#4121 3 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

What do you think about the play? Got the typical 80's sound but I really like it when I got to play one.

It’s solid. Nothing crazy good, but plays mean and you have to be accurate with your shots. I’m liking it though. Especially the special and EB collects. If EBs are off, those are worth 50k each and the knocker goes off 5 times when you collect them. Love that gottliebs do that.

#4122 3 years ago

Those knockers will startle you if you're not prepared lol they're loud! Star Race is the same when it comes to your shots having to be dead on and if not you pay the price! Enjoy it, I love the early 80's Gottliebs

#4123 3 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Those knockers will startle you if you're not prepared lol they're loud! Star Race is the same when it comes to your shots having to be dead on and if not you pay the price! Enjoy it, I love the early 0's Gottliebs.

Yeah I got the knocker 100% rebuilt too. It’s so loud. Haha

#4124 3 years ago
Quoted from SeymorGoldfarbJr:

For my future reference seeing we are in same area what's typical timeframe until you receive a board? Looking down the road I have atleast 2 more 80bs I hope to get going this winter. Both do not have main boards.

#4125 3 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Those knockers will startle you if you're not prepared

Oh pleeeeeze.

#4126 3 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Can you post a pic of what you mean? I might have what you want but I’m not sure of your description.

Here’s my broken piece. These are the metal parts on either side of the loopdeloop

72F5D681-F8D3-40EC-B86A-0A98126BFAD3 (resized).jpeg72F5D681-F8D3-40EC-B86A-0A98126BFAD3 (resized).jpegF07FF035-9A17-4924-B8D0-48F56D534653 (resized).jpegF07FF035-9A17-4924-B8D0-48F56D534653 (resized).jpeg
#4127 3 years ago

More fun! I had the main line fuse blow mid game on Panthera. Replaced that, and the 24v coil fuse blows on power up.

Tested the bridge rectifier and it was bad.

Replaced that, and the now the fuse doesn’t blow, but one of the drop target bank reset coils locks on.

I know I need to replace the transistor, but I have a niwumpf board and I’m not sure which transistor drives that reset coil. See pick below. That’s the stock board. Where is this on the niwumpf board?
DA993AF8-912A-43A8-BBAE-AC9804D544B3 (resized).jpegDA993AF8-912A-43A8-BBAE-AC9804D544B3 (resized).jpeg

#4128 3 years ago
Quoted from Mtkst19:

For my future reference seeing we are in same area what's typical timeframe until you receive a board? Looking down the road I have atleast 2 more 80bs I hope to get going this winter. Both do not have main boards.

Typically I receive the board in a little over a week.

#4129 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

More fun! I had the main line fuse blow mid game on Panthera. Replaced that, and the 24v coil fuse blows on power up.
Tested the bridge rectifier and it was bad.
Replaced that, and the now the fuse doesn’t blow, but one of the drop target bank reset coils locks on.
I know I need to replace the transistor, but I have a niwumpf board and I’m not sure which transistor drives that reset coil. See pick below. That’s the stock board. Where is this on the niwumpf board?
[quoted image]

Niwumpf responded to my email right away and said on their boards there are 8 transistors labeled QS1-QS8 for the 8 solenoids in the game. FYI for anyone else troubleshooting with those aftermarket boards.

#4130 3 years ago
Quoted from tait316:

Here’s my broken piece. These are the metal parts on either side of the loopdeloop
[quoted image][quoted image]

I’m sorry man I don’t have extra, for some reason I was thinking you were describing the metal posts at the entrance of the main ramp. I hope you can find a replacement to get Gold Wings back in action.

#4131 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Niwumpf responded to my email right away and said on their boards there are 8 transistors labeled QS1-QS8 for the 8 solenoids in the game. FYI for anyone else troubleshooting with those aftermarket boards.

After market boards should have the same Q list as stock. Also check to see as some games had to use a transistor under the playfield ie. rollerdisco. Which my friend had a drop target bank coil lock and it was that transistor.

Do you have the manual? I'm trying to think...there may of been a small sheet of paper stapled in the head or under the pf that listed the Q's as well.

#4132 3 years ago

Niwumpf was same as original except for the controlled solenoids. They are listed as QS1-QS8 on the aftermarket board for solenoids 1-8 in the manual.

#4133 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Niwumpf was same as original except for the controlled solenoids. They are listed as QS1-QS8 on the aftermarket board for solenoids 1-8 in the manual.

OHH you weren't asking you were just stating, sorry I didn't read your post right.

#4134 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

All done! This is one super nice Panthera now.

Looks great...all i hear in my head now is BUMPBUmpbump BUMPBUmpbump BUMPBUmpbump BUMPBUmpbump

#4135 3 years ago

I would really really like this game if the sound was better.

#4136 3 years ago

Anybody want these two 5150 NVRAM chips for SYS80 MPUs? I don’t think I’ll ever use them. $25 + shipping for both of em.

CD758320-95E2-4023-B782-10DF0A999FFA (resized).jpegCD758320-95E2-4023-B782-10DF0A999FFA (resized).jpeg
#4137 3 years ago

Couldnt youre-attach the bracket to the gold wing loop? A fastener would not be in the path of the ball.
Did you check pbr?

#4138 3 years ago

Could you find a local welder to fix gold wings?

#4139 3 years ago
Quoted from tait316:

I have a spare gold wings playfield and may have one. It's probably rusty/tarnished though..... I do think PBR has these though... if not let me know.

#4140 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-up:

I have a spare gold wings playfield and may have one. It's probably rusty/tarnished though..... I do think PBR has these though... if not let me know.

I already contacted Steve Young and he says he doesn't have any more. I would gladly purchase a rusty/tarnished one. ^_^

#4141 3 years ago

Just started working on my Chicago cubs
Very rare game in europe
Also installed the mypinballs 80b mpu and it works great
Looking for an original manual

4C686AA2-6DF1-4BED-9AD4-D7D7390D75FC (resized).jpeg4C686AA2-6DF1-4BED-9AD4-D7D7390D75FC (resized).jpeg7B82DFFE-0433-45FF-AB31-D07AFB77402D (resized).jpeg7B82DFFE-0433-45FF-AB31-D07AFB77402D (resized).jpeg

#4142 3 years ago

anyone know where to get a lift channel for a sys1/80 backglass?

#4143 3 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

anyone know where to get a lift channel for a sys1/80 backglass?

Did you try Steve at Pinball Resource?

#4144 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Did you try Steve at Pinball Resource?

Shows out of stock

#4145 3 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

Shows out of stock

Always contact them specifically asking to be sure. Their website isn’t always up to date.

#4146 3 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

Shows out of stock

If you call Steve at PR and he’s out, try the Arcade Boneyard at: http://thearcadeboneyard.com/

You never know what they will have. Also worth an email to double check if the site doesn’t show one.

#4147 3 years ago

Left the club when I sold my HH, came back in it with this Caveman

20201122_183146 (resized).jpg20201122_183146 (resized).jpg
#4148 3 years ago

Ok, i need help here, im trying to burn new roms for a friend's Monte Carlo (yeah i only got to it today, been busy with life LOL), and Rom2 is done and went smoothly and checks out fine with GQ-4X burner, but Rom1 is giving me headache, i keep getting "Write failed, address=0x000000, Buffer= 0x4F, Device=0xff" with a brand new chip (ST M27C64A) and fresh roms (freeplay ones from Flippp).

What is going on? can two brand new chips from a pinball supplier be bad? or am i doing something wrong?

"d:\downloads\gottlieb montecarlo\mc rom\prom1_703.bin.
Speed = 4
ID check skipped
Writing... Buffer
Elapsed time: 18.98 seconds.
ID check skipped
Writing... Buffer
Elapsed time: 18.98 seconds.
Write failed, Address=0x000000, Buffer=0x4F Device=0xFF
Write failed "

is how it says.

#4149 3 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:Write failed

problems I've had .....hooked up the external power supply that helps......slow your speed down but usually when I have had a consistent write fail it was bad chips ....had three bad ones from one supplier .....they erased fine had all FF in their buffers but would not write ....ordered 5 new ones and they were perfect .....my guess you got bad chips

#4150 3 years ago
Quoted from the9gman:

problems I've had .....hooked up the external power supply that helps......slow your speed down but usually when I have had a consistent write fail it was bad chips ....had three bad ones from one supplier .....they erased fine had all FF in their buffers but would not write ....ordered 5 new ones and they were perfect .....my guess you got bad chips

I have adapter on and i tried slowing down to 0 and even -1, but still write fails on brand new chips. So basically i threw away cash then...
im gonna ask the pinballshop to burn the rom for me in that case, gonna cost me abit extra but cheaper then to buy another 3 chips and take a chance.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wind Point, WI
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

1,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ajax, ON
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,539 posts in this topic. You are on page 83 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/83?hl=cadmium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.