(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,539 posts
  • 650 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 27 hours ago by bajm
  • Topic is favorited by 322 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg
IMG_5720(1) (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,539 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 131.
#351 10 years ago

I have one. It's a lot harder to beat than a Black Hole.

Steve

Quoted from mof:

Damn, that's cool. 193 units made, I won't hold my breath for one -- what would be the 2nd best choice?
-mof

#352 10 years ago

anyone in this group have a Sys 1 mpu board that might be salvageable with some work? Project Solar Ride and the mpu is totally and completely shot beyond shotness. Would like to avoid getting a Ni-Wumpf if I can find a workable candidate. Already brought one mpu back to life (Close Encounters)

#353 10 years ago

Devils dare, Volcano, and Mars God of War, are badass pins, that will spank you like a redheaded step child if you let them...

they are all very worthy.

#354 10 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

anyone in this group have a Sys 1 mpu board that might be salvageable with some work? Project Solar Ride and the mpu is totally and completely shot beyond shotness. Would like to avoid getting a Ni-Wumpf if I can find a workable candidate. Already brought one mpu back to life (Close Encounters)

PMing you now, shimoda.

#355 10 years ago

I have a few alkaline free System 1 CPU boards too. I don't know if any of them work so figure they don't. PM if interested.

Steve

#356 10 years ago

I finally finished my Big House- I am in the club!

IMG_9056.JPGIMG_9056.JPG
#357 10 years ago

I am restoring a Genesis machine and concerned about my 5 volt power supply. I did all the ground mods, replace the trim pot, repinned all connectors, trifurcons on the power supply. I start with my supply set to 5.1 volts and after I hook up power to all the boards that use 5 volt power my voltage is down to 4.36 volts. I checked the power drop of each board individually and amazingly it adds up to the total power drop.

Starting voltage 5.10
Less cpu indv. drop -.33
Less sound board -.30
Less driver board -.10
Less display logic -.01
Final voltage 4.36 volts

Any ideas , is this normal, maybe a bad voltage regulator ? Any thoughts would be appreciated !!
Game does work as it stands, played a dozen or so games already.

#358 10 years ago

Could you adjust the supply to 5.05V loaded and then remove board and see what power supply reads with no load.

It doesn't seem horrid but really the boards need 5V some issues will crop up if running on 4.3V most likely.

#359 10 years ago

With the trim pot all the way up I can only muster 4.86 volts loaded. The unloaded reading at this setting was 6.16 volts

#360 10 years ago

What is the ohm reading of the trim pot? Try putting the old one back on and see if it improves.

Steve

Quoted from OCD_pinball:

With the trim pot all the way up I can only muster 4.86 volts loaded. The unloaded reading at this setting was 6.16 volts

#361 10 years ago

Picked this up in St. Charles, MO last year.

CCTP003.JPGCCTP003.JPG
#362 10 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

I finally finished my Big House- I am in the club!

Cool, but you need to figure out the movie that Big House is made after first, before being an offical member.

Joking! Welcome to the club!

I looked and found "the big house" but i am not sure? The movie strip reference to me is kind of stupid unless you really know the exact movie. Any ideas?

#363 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Is there another sys80 like Black Hole that has pops in the middle of the field, or the outlane, that can hurt you?

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?searchtype=advanced&mpu=15

James Bond, Haunted House, Panthera, Counterforce all have them, although maybe not quite as obnoxious as Black Hole.

#364 10 years ago

!!!!!!SOLVED !!!!!!

Low voltage from power supply under load. Well it's going below zero here AGAIN so I can't play outside, so, down to the basement to work on this problem. Headers looked good, but replaced them anyway, also replaced C1 and C2 as long as I was in the neighborhood. Ordered a voltage regulator earlier in the month and installed that and BOOM, 5.10 volts out of the power supply and 5.0 volts at C1 on the cpu with all boards connected and machine on. Only took a 1/2 hour and 40 cents worth of parts, except for the regulator, that was 9 bucks. AHH but life is good now !

#365 10 years ago

Nice, now isn't that a good feeling!

#366 10 years ago

I'm in the club! Monte Carlo is in the house! Big shout out to Gerry as well, awesome guy, all deals should go this well and be this fun.

#367 10 years ago
Quoted from Scotty78:

I'm in the club! Monte Carlo is in the house! Big shout out to Gerry as well, awesome guy, all deals should go this well and be this fun.

Gerry is a great guy, i also bought a Monte Carlo from him

#368 10 years ago

Since you guys both have MC's you can give each other a few OTPHJ's LOL

#369 10 years ago

you stole that from me gerry

#370 10 years ago

Yeah i did so what Phucker !

LOL

#371 10 years ago

i cant wait to come over and play with your BH and your Hurdy Gurdy

#372 10 years ago

It all started with my first game Count Down, and I still have it.

#373 10 years ago

Count-Down is one of my favs. Such an addictive simple game. I finally found a decent one but the glass was horrible. I found one if my favorite glasses to put in it. A Totem. So now I either have a "Tote Down" or a ""Count 'em".

#374 10 years ago
Quoted from BumperMcBaulhogh:

Count-Down is one of my favs. Such an addictive simple game. I finally found a decent one but the glass was horrible. I found one if my favorite glasses to put in it. A Totem. So now I either have a "Tote Down" or a ""Count 'em".

Yes, I had to replace the glass in mine also. luckily I found one locally.

#375 10 years ago

Looking for some help from the 80B gang here. I bought a Raven to add to the collection a few weeks back. I have been working on it to bring it back to life, had to replace several IC's on the MPU board and it is now up and running. The problem I currently have is that the game has no sound.

I have checked everything out voltage and input wise and it all looks good. The board will beep the speakers when the red test button is pushed and the red LED is blinking but it will make no other sounds. I put the Raven sound board into the Genesis I am restoring and it didn't make any sound out of it either. So I am pretty sure this is a sound board issue but from looking at the schematics for the board I am really not sure where to start at to trouble shoot the board. Any help/tips/links etc would be greatly appreciated.

I could put the genesis sound board in the Raven to see if it would work but don't want to risk the board in case the driver board or something damaged the sound board.

Thanks,
Chadd

#376 10 years ago

I don't think that would happen. Putting known good board in there. But you do know the other sound board is not working. You should probably start making sure each ic has proper supply voltage on it. Do a good visual for anything that looks like it is internally burned up. You may need an oscilloscope work on. Unless you get lucky.

You could take out the Genesis sound roms and put in the Raven ones and put back into Genesis. You should heard Raven music.

#377 10 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

I don't think that would happen. Putting known good board in there. But you do know the other sound board is not working. You should probably start making sure each ic has proper supply voltage on it. Do a good visual for anything that looks like it is internally burned up. You may need an oscilloscope work on. Unless you get lucky.
You could take out the Genesis sound roms and put in the Raven ones and put back into Genesis. You should heard Raven music.

I swapped the 2 Raven roms into the Gensis sound board and I do get Raven sounds but no background music. Any idea which of the two roms is for the music?

Thanks,
Chadd

#378 10 years ago

Those would be on the MPU board.

#379 10 years ago

Got my Genie Tuesday. Glued the back of the cabinet together and clamped earlier this evening. Thankfully had some of the new style leg brackets. Rebuilt the power supply, replaced/rebuilt a solenoid driver board for it and while some more work needs to be done (more driver issues) it runs.

#380 10 years ago

I have a free Touchdown coming my way next week sight unseen.
No idea what I will find when I open it up, but free is free, so I will try and get it up and running.
I did a bit of reading up and expect to re-pin the board connector and replace some caps at the least.
I will post some photos when it arrives.

#381 10 years ago

Charlies Angels just joined the herd.......I dont have a pinball problem, I can quit anytime I want.....Plus, I dont go to pinball anoumous (sp)meetings.....

#383 10 years ago

Seen those before. All widebodies, talk about heavy collection. Even shopped 18k is a bit much, granted they are some of them rare machines.

#384 10 years ago

Just got my first and it is a Star Gate. I'm really impressed with the build quality on these games.

I would like to a Bad Girls and Big House at some point

#385 10 years ago

My first pin was a Dragon- main board was a mess, but I didn't know any better. Fun game once it worked, though, and the simple chimes could get into your head.

My next pin was a Volcano, and I regret letting it go, but between starting a family and deployments I ended up selling it. Great game- sounds were great, skee ball idea was great, the thwacking the ball would back on the glass with the upper flipper was great, the tight pop bumpers were great, the factory mylared playfield was great...

My third pin was a HH, bought online- one of my favorites from the boardwalk growing up. Not armed with clays repair data at the time, it didn't think to ask if the machine had caught fire... Which it had, due to the cellar up kicker locking, as stated in a myriad of info about HHs. Slowly been working on the one, but a classic, that'll one day go next to my f14, pinbot, xenon and space shuttle, after my mom stops playing it.

I then somehow acquired a Force II in solid shape, the sold it- fun game, lots of targets, nothing fancy. I also acquired a lot of DD, Mars, and I think Circus, but all were so best up that I let them go.

I haven't seen anyone mention the storks nest website- my first sys 80 talks were with him and his collection, nice guy.

#386 10 years ago

I haven't talked with Peter Hall in some time either.

Steve

Quoted from Whiskers:

I haven't seen anyone mention the storks nest website- my first sys 80 talks were with him and his collection, nice guy.

#387 10 years ago

yeah Shout out to Peter!

He sent me gears for motor so that I could rebuild and still have original in it. Still works. I have the motor mod so that only spins during game play. His site WAS really good.

Thanks Again Peter!

1 week later
#388 10 years ago

Can anybody with a Genesis tell me where the only 2, 1 3/16 tall playfield post go. I took pictures before I did a tear down and the placement did not seem right. Thanks- Mark

#389 10 years ago
Quoted from OCD_pinball:

Can anybody with a Genesis tell me where the only 2, 1 3/16 tall playfield post go. I took pictures before I did a tear down and the placement did not seem right. Thanks- Mark

Mine is wrapped up and buried ATM, or i would...

In your manual it should tell you...

the list of PF parts should give you the ness clues to figure it out...

#390 10 years ago

I see the two taller post listed, but the manual gives no layout for the post. Right now I have them behind the drop targets. Maybe someone with access to a machine will chime in.

#391 10 years ago

I won't be of much help either, my parts manual just lists the posts but doesn't show where they go.

Steve

#392 10 years ago

Ok.
Just got my System 80A Touchdown home. This was a free machine so if I get it working then great.
I know this is not a tech thread per se, but thought I would post my first photos of it here and let people who know what they are looking at tell me what they think should be tackled first.
I am replacing all the caps that I can because I know they are old.
I did buy a system 80A cap kit but it seems to have some stuff in it that may not pertain to my machine. ie the giant blue standing capacitors in the bottom of the cabinet with screw tops. Mine has some strange coupled together capacitors in the bottom that certainly do not look stock or safe for that matter. lol
I also got the kit to re-pin the main cpu connector harness.
Anyway, on to the photos.
The first photo is of the cap kit I purchased and the second is what is in the bottom of my cabinet as this confuses me the most.
Leon.

IMG_0840.JPGIMG_0840.JPG
IMG_0836.JPGIMG_0836.JPG
IMG_0837.JPGIMG_0837.JPG

#393 10 years ago

And the backbox boards

IMG_0830.JPGIMG_0830.JPG IMG_0831.JPGIMG_0831.JPG IMG_0832.JPGIMG_0832.JPG
#394 10 years ago

Under side and playfield.

IMG_0835.JPGIMG_0835.JPG IMG_0829.JPGIMG_0829.JPG IMG_0825.JPGIMG_0825.JPG
#395 10 years ago

Well looks like MPU has recharable battery pack. Circular file that. Looks like you purchased caps for HV and 5V power supply board. Well R10 30 ohm needs to be changed to 680? ohm. If I remember correctly. and change the 5V adjust resistor. Read pinwiki for all the PS mods/parts to replace while you have apart as it can be a pain and you don't want to to it more than once per game unless you have to.
Yeah the parallel caps are just what someone did to get a larger value with what they had. If they would have spent the 5bucks for the correct value and style it could have saved you a little work.
Read up and do the grounding mods. Like the 40 pin inner connect from cpu to driver. Adding a power and ground line.
Piggyback board on sound card ( neat ) never saw that.

We will need to see a little video of gameplay once you get it working good.

#396 10 years ago

I guess I am technically in the club now, I picked up an Amazing Spider-Man that was stored in someones garage for years. I think it is complete other than missing a sound board and a backglass. On the plus side I did find $4.28 jammed into the coin return. This is my first non-Williams pin but it seems like there is a ton of good info out there on the Gottlieb System 80.

Anyways, is there any danger in running the machine without the sound board installed? Just want to make sure I can get it working before I start ordering parts.

#397 10 years ago

It'll work fine without a sound board installed (if it worked before ).

Steve

#398 10 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

It'll work fine without a sound board installed (if it worked before ).
Steve

Thanks Steve! I'll post some pictures here if I can get it working.

#399 10 years ago

Anyone know a good place to get a little u-shaped heat sink for my Q1 transistor on my power board?
Just noticed it is missing on my game.

#400 10 years ago

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=136

Not sure if you mean the TIP31C for the HV but Ed has some heat sink stuff.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 7.50
1,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sullivan, WI
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waterbury, CT
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Calgary, AB
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,539 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.