(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,542 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by bajm
  • Topic is favorited by 323 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,542 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 131.
#3901 3 years ago

I just posted an original 80B driver board. I no longer have an 80B machine, but had it repaired to help someone who does.

Parts - For Sale
Used, good condition - “A fully functional, OEM Gottlieb driver board. It had burned a transistor for the out-hole solenoid on one of my old machines. It has been repaired and tested. (Photo below shows i...”
2020-12-07
Plymouth, MI
Archived after: 149 days
Viewed: 143 times

#3902 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

good to know, i'll try the connector then see if the MPU itself is the issue. that's the problem with only one machine of that generation, i could use a quick swap to check it out if I another GTB SS

My display problems when I aquired mine were all connector related. Those displays are pretty good from what I've experienced.

#3903 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

First time owner of a SYS80, found myself a pretty beat up Alien Star but I am still happy.
I read pretty much the whole thread and went through Pinwiki, did what I could for now but I still have display issue.
-The game boot right away to all 0's on the display (minus the one not working) but I can coin up and start a game. it plays fine all around after that but I am assume there is some kind of issue with all the 0's and not having the 5 seconds boot up sequence?
-The display have missing segments (Unit on all 4, M's on P2 and 4 and service display completely out! the picture didn't catch P4) i went through some of the pinwiki steps (power tested good, display glass was fine...) but i do not have the material to redo the connector yet.
I see the 24 and 19 EDGE connector are out of stock from GPE... what is the alternative? I would rather buy new ones instead of having to remove all the pins one by one and reuse the connector.
[quoted image]
On a side note, Pinwiki table mention that M's digit out on P2/P4 should be D13 on A1J3-19 with Z18-3 but A1J3 only has a 17 pin connector, am I missing something?
From the picture I think the MPU had quite a bit of work (lots of IC replaced with sockets...) done so after doing the connector if I still have issue I will assume the MPU has issues and a replacement maybe needed...
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

From Clay's repair guide:-

When there is a problem with two (or more) displays, often the problem is
the chips closest to the connectors on the CPU board. This would be
Z19,Z21,Z23 (7448) or Z17,Z24,Z26 (7404).
If there is a Digit problem on two or more of the displays, check these chips.
These chips all go to connector J3. If all displays are missing a digit, suspect
CPU chip Z25. If two displays have a missing digit, suspect chips
Z17,Z24,Z26. If only one display has a missing digit, suspect the display
itself.
CPU chip Z25 (74154) controls the three digit CPU chips Z17,Z24,Z26.
CPU chip Z17 controls player 1, player 3, and the bonus display.
CPU chip Z24 controls player 2, player 4, and the credit/ball count.
CPU chip Z26 controls the the status display.
If there is a Segment problem in two or more of your displays, check these
chips. Remember connector J2 takes the segment lines to the displays. If all
displays have a segment problem, suspect CPU chip Z16. If two displays have
a display problem, suspect chips Z19,Z21,Z23. If one display has a segment
problem, suspect the UDN6116 chip on the display itself.
CPU chip Z16 (7404) is the main segment controlling chip. If a segment
is out on all displays, chances are good Z16 is the problem.
CPU chips Z18,Z20,Z22 (74175) feed Z19,Z21,Z23 (7448)
respectively. If a segment is out on a pair of displays, chances are good
its a 74175/7448 pair that is bad. The Z19,Z21,Z23 (7448) are the
most problematic though (I don't think I have ever changed a 74175 to
fix a segment problem).
CPU chips Z18,Z19 control segments on players 1 and 2 displays.
34 of 68

#3904 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

My display problems when I aquired mine were all connector related. Those displays are pretty good from what I've experienced.

that is my first priority though GPE is backup and now allowing order at the moment so it will have to wait unfortunately

#3905 3 years ago
Quoted from Andy_B:

If there is a Digit problem on two or more of the displays, check these chips.
These chips all go to connector J3. If all displays are missing a digit, suspect
CPU chip Z25. If two displays have a missing digit, suspect chips
Z17,Z24,Z26. If only one display has a missing digit, suspect the display
itself.
CPU chip Z25 (74154) controls the three digit CPU chips Z17,Z24,Z26.
CPU chip Z17 controls player 1, player 3, and the bonus display.
CPU chip Z24 controls player 2, player 4, and the credit/ball count.
CPU chip Z26 controls the the status display.

thanks that is helpful, based on the above and the table from Pinwiki, it would be worth trying to replace Z26 since my P2&4 M's digit is out on boath display as well as the whole Status display.
Since the Unit digit is missing on all 4 display i'll try to change the Z25 based on above too.

I can get those from a shop 10 minutes away compared to hard to find Edge connector for now...

#3906 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

On a side note, Pinwiki table mention that M's digit out on P2/P4 should be D13 on A1J3-19 with Z18-3 but A1J3 only has a 17 pin connector, am I missing something?

80A - Millions digit - on players 2&4 is D12. A1J3-12. Z26 pin2

In fact all of your display issues seem related to Z26. (maybe someone unplugged connectors with the power on? do not do this.)
D12: A1J3-12 Z26 pin2 80A - Millions digit - on players 2&4
D13: A1J3-13 Z26 pin4 80A - RH most digit of status display
D14: A1J3-14 Z26 pin6 80A - middle RH digit of status display
D15: A1J3-15 Z26 pin10 80A - middle LH digit of status display
D16: A1J3-16 Z26 pin8 80A - Ones digit - on players 1&3 and LH most digit of status display

Power off while making these display swaps:
Try each 7-digit display in player 1. only one display plugged in at a time.
Try each 7-digit display in player 3. only one display plugged in at a time.
does each display behave the same as in your picture above when in those locations?

For the status/credit display.
Is +42V DC present out of the power supply? if no, check CR6 and R5 on PS.
+42VDC at the display?
Proper VAC at the display?
Glass is still in good condition? (black dots in top left & bottom right corners still present?)
if white dots glass is NG.

#3907 3 years ago
Quoted from REGNE:

Power off while making these display swaps:
Try each 7-digit display in player 1. only one display plugged in at a time.
Try each 7-digit display in player 3. only one display plugged in at a time.
does each display behave the same as in your picture above when in those locations?

Will try that today, thank you!

Quoted from REGNE:

For the status/credit display.
Is +42V DC present out of the power supply? if no, check CR6 and R5 on PS.
+42VDC at the display?
Proper VAC at the display?
Glass is still in good condition? (black dots in top left & bottom right corners still present?)
if white dots glass is NG.

Yes on all the above, i check the power on the display, both VDC and AC were good and the one black dot (and nipple) looks fine as well. I am ordering a spare from PBR just in case though.

#3908 3 years ago

Just when you think you are out, they pull you back in...

I picked up a nice BH this weekend. It came with all the usual electrical gremlins, but I should be able to get it working soon.

54E83BAA-D417-47A9-8E57-1CB8D9D640AE (resized).jpeg54E83BAA-D417-47A9-8E57-1CB8D9D640AE (resized).jpeg
#3909 3 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Just when you think you are out, they pull you back in...
I picked up a nice BH this weekend. It came with all the usual electrical gremlins, but I should be able to get it working soon.[quoted image]

Looks pretty nice from here!

#3910 3 years ago

So I'm getting ready to test the power supply in the Force 2 I just picked up and I'm pulling up a schematic for the voltages and pins. I usually use the System 80 Service Manual since the power supply doesn't change until 80B.

http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/PDF%20Pinball%20Misc/System80%20Service%20Manual.pdf

So I see this? Anybody spot the problem?
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#3911 3 years ago

I'm not a fan of that schematic as it can make a pin to pin match up confusing. I have a better pic and the update for it.
-Mike

20200915_162147 (resized).jpg20200915_162147 (resized).jpg20200915_162235 (resized).jpg20200915_162235 (resized).jpg
#3912 3 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

I'm not a fan of that schematic as it can make a pin to pin match up confusing. I have a better pic and the update for it.
-Mike
[quoted image][quoted image]

thanks for this!

#3913 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

Will try that today, thank you!

Yes on all the above, i check the power on the display, both VDC and AC were good and the one black dot (and nipple) looks fine as well. I am ordering a spare from PBR just in case though.

Well, all pretty strange, took off the MPU to change Z26 and after putting it back in, everything worked! i feel like there is some bad connector contact somewhere for sure...

When the bakcboard is out of the back box everything is sharp though sometime when i push it back in and it drops in its resting place the display seriously dim to a point you can barely see the status.
Below is V reading test from display from when they are out or when they are in.

Board open
status/credit: 2.8VAC, 42.9VDC & 6VDC
P4: 5.9VAC, 61.0VDC & 6.0VDC

Board close in its resting position
status/credit: 2.8VAC, 17.1VDC & 6VDC
P4: 5.9VAC, 34.5VDC & 6.0VDC

Looks like the 40/60VDC drops quite a bit... any thoughts? Grounding issue to display or voltage itself?

#3914 3 years ago

I’m in need of a scan of a Rock manual. If anyone has one, please send me a PM.

EDIT - Copy has been obtained. Thanks for the support.

#3915 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

Looks like the 40/60VDC drops quite a bit... any thoughts? Grounding issue to display or voltage itself?

Different voltage based on the position of the backboard?
Sounds like terminals and/or cold solder joint on PS.

Repin A1J3. Repin all PS connectors. Check the PS pins for cold solder joints as well and reflow or replace.
Need to get your voltages stable.

#3916 3 years ago
Quoted from REGNE:

Different voltage based on the position of the backboard?
Sounds like terminals and/or cold solder joint on PS.

Repin A1J3. Repin all PS connectors. Check the PS pins for cold solder joints as well and reflow or replace.
Need to get your voltages stable.

Make sense, thank you. I was waiting for GPE to reopen orders so I can get EDGE contact. Are the "08-50-0134 / 08-52-0072" the right one for these SYS80A connector? Not the "Bifurcated" ones right?

I was wondering if there was ground mod for the displays as well? Would a flaky ground to the display impact reliable VDC?

#3917 3 years ago

Update, so I replaced u4, and z11-z14 and game is back up and running and switches work. Only things not working is the feature lamps in attract mode only. Lamps light fine in game play mode, which has got me baffled. Not sure where to go from here, so any help would be greatly appreciated
Game worked fine until I hooked up the #5 kicking target, that was previously disconnected by someone

#3918 3 years ago

On my Black Hole (and a number of my Gottlieb games), I've noticed that a lot of the plastics have broken/warped themselves in part due to posts wooden star post screws just blowing out of their socket in high impact areas or areas where the rubber tension is high.

Does anybody see any issue with just drilling those holes through and replacing the bare wooden hole with metal T-Nut receiver for more strength or am I really better off just doweling and re-drilling with the original post.

#3919 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

On my Black Hole (and a number of my Gottlieb games), I've noticed that a lot of the plastics have broken/warped themselves in part due to posts wooden star post screws just blowing out of their socket in high impact areas or areas where the rubber tension is high.
Does anybody see any issue with just drilling those holes through and replacing the bare wooden hole with metal T-Nut receiver for more strength or am I really better off just doweling and re-drilling with the original post.

Drilling and using t-nuts is a good option. Just confirm there is nothing under the playfield where you are drilling.

#3920 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Nope, I do this all the time. Just make sure your machine post and tnut gets more than a thread or 2 into it - should ideally make it all the way to the bottom.

#3921 3 years ago

I recently had a customer request a yellow ramp for Gold Wings...I never really gave this color a thought until now, but it could definitely work on some machines. I think I would need to change some bulbs back to white in order to pull it off.

20200920_132618 (resized).jpg20200920_132618 (resized).jpg20200920_132625 (resized).jpg20200920_132625 (resized).jpg
#3922 3 years ago

@jodyG, is that top left "roller coaster" ramp attainable at all? i simply can't make that shot.

#3923 3 years ago
Quoted from pinostalgia:

jodyG, is that top left "roller coaster" ramp attainable at all? i simply can't make that shot.

Mine is set up that it has to be hit juuuuust right, but I like it that way. Its definitely a fidgety mech to get right, and im not sure mine was in the factory form when I got it. I make the shot about every 1 in 5 attemps, which still lets me get the extra ball occasionally.

#3924 3 years ago

Picked up another one of my grail pins. Getting it cleaned up to set it next to my Spiderman.

20200918_064208 (resized).jpg20200918_064208 (resized).jpg20200918_064220 (resized).jpg20200918_064220 (resized).jpg
#3925 3 years ago

I had that pair for a while. Couldn't get rid of Spiderman fast enough, had to sell Hulk kicking and screaming. great game. I hope someday I come into another one.

#3926 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

I had that pair for a while. Couldn't get rid of Spiderman fast enough, had to sell Hulk kicking and screaming. great game. I hope someday I come into another one.

Interesting. I restored a Hulk last year and sold to a guy in Sacramento. Was happy to get rid of it since the ball kickers in the lower playfield make the game play slow. Now am restoring a Spider-Man for my 7yr son.

#3927 3 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyPinball:

Interesting. I restored a Hulk last year and sold to a guy in Sacramento. Was happy to get rid of it since the ball kickers in the lower playfield make the game play slow. Now am restoring a Spider-Man for my 7yr son.

Wish I could point out what bugged me about Spidey. The Playfield artwork and cabinet were in rough shape on mine and that might have tainted my view of it. I think once I realized I could alley pass the inlanes to boost my bonus multiplier up with consistency made the game extremely dull for me.

I never minded how those slingshot kickers slowed the game down. Plus. Those sounds!

#3928 3 years ago

Hulk is on my "one to get" list.

#3929 3 years ago

I owned gold wings for 8 years or so. The loop has to be "finessed" to work properly but even then it is not an easy shot. I could get it about one in five trys.
Then i changed the coil to the next strongest one and could get it 60 to 75 % of the time.
Even wth the original coil, if you play it enough that shot can be made.

#3930 3 years ago

What's the recommended cleaning solution for restoring System 1-80B aprons? Dish soap & Water?

I hit a System 1 apron with Simple Green and it started making the screen printing run.

#3931 3 years ago
Quoted from RatShack:

What's the recommended cleaning solution for restoring System 1-80B aprons? Dish soap & Water?

Almost everything smears/pulls the ink off, at least on system 1.

#3932 3 years ago

80B fans, the ramp for Excalibur is coming up shortly on my to-do list. I think this ramp is almost always broken. If you know anybody in need of one, please have them contact me so I can put them on my list. Drop me a PM with an email address so I can get an accurate count of how many I am going to run initially. Thanks!

#3933 3 years ago

Diamond lady. The bottom half of the display fades out from time to time. Top is always good. Ground mods done. If I tap the front of the display it comes back for a while. Any ideas?
56A8AA0E-9C4A-4F82-80AC-EDADC5900586 (resized).jpeg56A8AA0E-9C4A-4F82-80AC-EDADC5900586 (resized).jpeg

#3934 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Diamond lady. The bottom half of the display fades out from time to time. Top is always good. Ground mods done. If I tap the front of the display it comes back for a while. Any ideas?
[quoted image]

I'm curious about the display voltage and if it's low maybe the upper display is starving the lower? I would think cap but they look to share a common incoming line

#3935 3 years ago

Swapped the displays between diamond lady and Monte Carlo and they both seem nice and bright in each. Haha. I’m going to run them for a while and see if anything changes.

#3936 3 years ago

Okay confirmed. The issue follows the display. So I guess it’s a power draw issue at one of the caps on the display board.

Never heard of these outgassing, so I assume it can be repaired. Doesn’t look like repros are available.

#3937 3 years ago

Beautiful thing about gottliebs, these displays are tough!

#3938 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Okay confirmed. The issue follows the display

The caps do go bad on one of my displays the 470uf cap was bad .....read 360uf and both 10uf caps were bad however I would think that would affect the whole display. would think the problem may be U2 because the actual display looks good as far as brightness but the lack of info and the fact that you tap on it brings it back. I would check the caps and reflow the pins on U2

#3939 3 years ago

Thanks so much. Will do.

#3940 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

[quoted image]

Sounds like a broken solder joint to the glass display where it meets the board, most likely a power or ground pin. Best to remove the solder on all the pins and resolder them all. I repaired 2 different Gottlieb displays like this.

#3941 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Sounds like a broken solder joint to the glass display where it meets the board, most likely a power or ground pin. Best to remove the solder on all the pins and resolder them all. I repaired 2 different Gottlieb displays like this.

I've had a couple where this happened...resoldered everything and it melted the pin off when I plugged it in again. I gave up on it at that point.

#3942 3 years ago

My Hulk is finally together with my Spider-Man.

20200925_121748 (resized).jpg20200925_121748 (resized).jpg
#3943 3 years ago

My two favorite System 80Bs.

20200927_095148 (resized).jpg20200927_095148 (resized).jpg
#3944 3 years ago

The Amazing Spiderman- Game works great. Boards all refurbished. I have an issue with my sound, volume is very low almost non existent, sound board works great in another spiderman cabinet.

My Pot measures 0 ohms to 96 ohms. When I turn the pot its silent until the very end of the turn. Then I get low volume.

Is it possible the pot is worn out? Even though it does measure correct Ohms variance?

#3945 3 years ago

Riddle me this sys1/sys80 folks. I have two different displays in my Haunted House. One has two ICs, and one seems to have a few other single strip ICs (please correct me if thats not what those are).

The display with more ICs is noticeably darker than the rest. I have tried toasting the crud off of it with that trick with the end pins and some AC voltage.

So what is the difference between these two?

7FBF7622-3A07-4BCC-87BA-CCE0569CCF4C (resized).jpeg7FBF7622-3A07-4BCC-87BA-CCE0569CCF4C (resized).jpegAAFE7553-5BBD-4836-879A-A4BA95B60C8A (resized).jpegAAFE7553-5BBD-4836-879A-A4BA95B60C8A (resized).jpeg
#3946 3 years ago

The single strip components are resistor networks, not ICs.

#3947 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

The single strip components are resistor networks, not ICs.

I guess that would make sense then. There are a few hacked looking resistors stretched across the board as well. Is this just two different revisions of the same board or some hack work?

#3948 3 years ago

I think its not some hackwork. It is a different version with Dionics (level converter) IC's which you don't see often. Not sure if the resistors inside the SIL resistor networks are used as pull-ups or series resitors. At most of these displays UDN6118 or UDN6184 are used. Atari also used Dionics IC's at some of their Gen1 displayboards and the Display Controller in Williams System3-6 games can also be configured for using Dionics level converter IC's.

#3949 3 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

I think its not some hackwork. It is a different version with Dionics (level converter) IC's which you don't see often. Not sure if the resistors inside the SIL resistor networks are used as pull-ups or series resitors. At most of these displays UDN6118 or UDN6184 are used. Atari also used Dionics IC's at some of their Gen1 displayboards and the Display Controller in Williams System3-6 games can also be configured for using Dionics level converter IC's.

I think also Hankin used this kind of display?

#3950 3 years ago

Good to know! So any reason to believe they’d be noticeably dimmer?

I assumed it was hackwork, just because of that one stray resistor that looks unoriginal.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 7.50
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wind Point, WI
$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

There are 6,542 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/79?hl=luzur and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.