(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,542 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 24 hours ago by bajm
  • Topic is favorited by 323 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,542 posts in this topic. You are on page 78 of 131.
#3851 3 years ago
Quoted from Cherga:

Anyone have the measurements of the Backbox glass for Bad Girls?

Shouldn't it be the same as the other 80b machines.
-Mike

#3852 3 years ago

Ok.. call me a noob or a nub or whatnot because I am LOL, but what is the "Special" you get when you hit the special when lit target on Genesis ?

#3853 3 years ago
Quoted from Menthelm:

Ok.. call me a noob or a nub or whatnot because I am LOL, but what is the "Special" you get when you hit the special when lit target on Genesis ?

500k points.

#3854 3 years ago

Hey Gottlieb fans!
I’m working on a Roller Disco and need a few pieces of hardware for the backbox door (the main door with the backglass installed).
My game was completely missing the backglass frame door so I’m looking for the two latch strikes and half of the lower hinge. I have the other hardware already. Does anyone happen to have these parts available? No luck with Steve Young as he doesn’t have backbox hardware.
Thanks!
Eric

P.S. The last pic is sideways but shows the half of the hinge that I already have. I need the other piece with the hole that attaches to the door frame.

FA747668-8F1E-4CE4-BD7A-28F1938DD7FF (resized).jpegFA747668-8F1E-4CE4-BD7A-28F1938DD7FF (resized).jpeg0C81511F-B397-4CD8-91EB-7DA2C49B7215 (resized).jpeg0C81511F-B397-4CD8-91EB-7DA2C49B7215 (resized).jpeg17E37AC1-91E6-4155-A63B-AD2D2DFD047D (resized).jpeg17E37AC1-91E6-4155-A63B-AD2D2DFD047D (resized).jpeg
#3855 3 years ago

Thanks! For some reason it says nothing about what you score for that anywhere in the manual.

#3856 3 years ago
Quoted from Menthelm:

Thanks! For some reason it says nothing about what you score for that anywhere in the manual.

The knocker should go off 5 times. Dead give away on gottliebs. One for each 100k

#3857 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The knocker should go off 5 times. Dead give away on gottliebs. One for each 100k

I haven't actually been able to score this hit yet. Just was wondering what it scored lol. Thanks and I appreciate it. Highest score I've gotten is 2.95 million so far.

#3858 3 years ago
Quoted from Menthelm:

I haven't actually been able to score this hit yet. Just was wondering what it scored lol. Thanks and I appreciate it. Highest score I've gotten is 2.95 million so far.

Right before I sold mine my best was like 21 million. The scoring goes crazy once the multiplier gets above like 15-20x

#3859 3 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Shouldn't it be the same as the other 80b machines.
-Mike

It’s definitely not the same size as Gold wings, Genesis or Hollywood Heat.

#3860 3 years ago
Quoted from Cherga:

Anyone have the measurements of the Backbox glass for Bad Girls?

Just took the measurements off mine
Top/bottom :25"
Sides :24"

IMG_20200810_195821 (resized).jpgIMG_20200810_195821 (resized).jpgIMG_20200810_201258 (resized).jpgIMG_20200810_201258 (resized).jpg
#3861 3 years ago
Quoted from Cherga:

yes, I’ve installed the following on several 80b’s... disconnect the ballast and starter.

Thanks! I ordered a new translite. I will see how that looks with the current lighting configuration then decide if I want to replace it where it is or reconfigure. I may hit you up for some pointers when I'm ready.

#3862 3 years ago
Quoted from Cherga:

It’s definitely not the same size as Gold wings, Genesis or Hollywood Heat.

No kidding, I was thinking they would be the same size.
-Mike

#3863 3 years ago
Quoted from pinostalgia:

Just took the measurements off mine
Top/bottom :25"
Sides :24"[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks!

#3864 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Hot take: 90% of Sys80B games wouldn't get as much flack as they do if they had better art packages.

The art is miles ahead of the layouts + rulesets on a lot of them, that's the problem with them. There is some spectacular 80B art.

#3865 3 years ago

I’m getting a lot of random flickers of garbage rapidly spiraling across my displays on my Night Moves. Also a few lamps are out or flickering.

I’ve done all the grounding mods.
What might be my issue and how do I check?

#3866 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I’m getting a lot of random flickers of garbage rapidly spiraling across my displays on my Night Moves. Also a few lamps are out or flickering.
I’ve done all the grounding mods.
What might be my issue and how do I check?

Check the contact in the connectors.
The manual is available from the ipdb.
https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3507
That can direct you to the right connector.
You can also upgrade the driver board with some extra ground connections.
There is a way to add 16 ground connection to the board with just some jumpers added to the board.

Gottlieb_System-80_Driver_board_Ground_update.pdfGottlieb_System-80_Driver_board_Ground_update.pdf
1 week later
#3867 3 years ago

Nearly finished rehabbing this oddball.

20200828_153412 (resized).jpg20200828_153412 (resized).jpg
#3868 3 years ago
Quoted from Jahkub:

Nearly finished rehabbing this oddball

looks like you got yourself a good working game out of that

#3869 3 years ago
Quoted from erico201:

Hey Gottlieb fans!
I’m working on a Roller Disco and need a few pieces of hardware for the backbox door (the main door with the backglass installed).
My game was completely missing the backglass frame door so I’m looking for the two latch strikes and half of the lower hinge. I have the other hardware already. Does anyone happen to have these parts available? No luck with Steve Young as he doesn’t have backbox hardware.
Thanks!
Eric
P.S. The last pic is sideways but shows the half of the hinge that I already have. I need the other piece with the hole that attaches to the door frame.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Are you still looking for the back box hardware? I have some hardware from a donor / parted Mars God of War.

#3870 3 years ago

System 80b ground mods question (diamond lady):

It says to attach all the ground wires to the heat sink on the 5v power supply then run another wire to the bolt in the bottom right of the head where the yellow ground wire is.

Can I just run all the wires and attach them at the head bolt? Why do I have to run them to the heat sink first?

#3871 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

System 80b ground mods question (diamond lady):
It says to attach all the ground wires to the heat sink on the 5v power supply then run another wire to the bolt in the bottom right of the head where the yellow ground wire is.
Can I just run all the wires and attach them at the head bolt? Why do I have to run them to the heat sink first?

I was told the only ground mod that needs to be done on an 80b is the one at the power supply. The other mods are not necessary.

#3872 3 years ago
Quoted from Menthelm:

I was told the only ground mod that needs to be done on an 80b is the one at the power supply. The other mods are not necessary.

Too late. Haha. Now can I just run them all the head bolt with the yellow ground wire on it? Or is it imperative I run them all to the heat sink on the power supply first?

#3873 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Too late. Haha. Now can I just run them all the head bolt with the yellow ground wire on it? Or is it imperative I run them all to the heat sink on the power supply first?

Should just be able to hook it up where you want. I believe the only reason it suggests that is that it's an easy point to ground that many wires to.

#3874 3 years ago
Quoted from Menthelm:

Should just be able to hook it up where you want. I believe the only reason it suggests that is that it's an easy point to ground that many wires to.

Okay. Just making sure a stop at the heat sink is not required. Not sure why that’s suggested. Way easier to run them all to the bolt in the bottom right of the head.

#3875 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Okay. Just making sure a stop at the heat sink is not required. Not sure why that’s suggested. Way easier to run them all to the bolt in the bottom right of the head.

I thought the same thing when I was looking at it too. As long.as the grounds are all connected somehow then it's good. I mean a ground is a ground right? Lol

#3876 3 years ago
Quoted from Menthelm:

I thought the same thing when I was looking at it too. As long.as the grounds are all connected somehow then it's good. I mean a ground is a ground right? Lol

Yeah I guess. I’m no expert though and this whole process seems so hacky. I half expect my game to explode when it fire it up for the first time. Haha

#3877 3 years ago

The heat sink is also the +5 ground point isn't it? Probably they want it there so there isn't one wire going from the entire bundle back. I'd do whatever John Robertson at flippers.com says in this case since he figured it out in the first place.

#3878 3 years ago

Is he on pinside? Not sure how to ask him. Thanks.

#3879 3 years ago

I see the one wire to the cabinet having the advantage of avoiding strain on the individual wires that are soldered onto the boards. Also be sure to remove the anodized layer from the heat sink.

#3880 3 years ago

On diamond lady the screws for the heat sink are in these nylon sleeves so not really sure how the ground connection is made since the screws don’t actually touch the heat sink.

#3881 3 years ago

I wouldn't use the heatsink as a GND. The metal case from the LM338K regulator at the heatsink is connected to 5V. It is isolated from the heatsink with a thin mica shim. You are creating a potential short circuit between 5V and GND when connecting the heatsink to GND. It is safer to run GND wires to the yellow strap in the head as you suggested before.

#3882 3 years ago

You can also modify the driver board ground.
There are 14 ground wires going to the driver board!
Here is a pdf file for this modification...

Gottlieb_System-80_Driver_board_Ground_update.pdfGottlieb_System-80_Driver_board_Ground_update.pdf
#3883 3 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

I wouldn't use the heatsink as a GND. The metal case from the LM338K regulator at the heatsink is connected to 5V. It is isolated from the heatsink with a thin mica shim. You are creating a potential short circuit between 5V and GND when connecting the heatsink to GND. It is safer to run GND wires to the yellow strap in the head as you suggested before.

That's a great point.

#3884 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Is he on pinside? Not sure how to ask him. Thanks.

No, he's Rec.games.pinball.

The whole newsgroup, at this point, with maybe 10-12 other people that occasionally post, but most of them are here now, including me.

He's got the info on his website as well:
https://flippers.com/gottlieb_ground_cures.html

#3885 3 years ago

Thanks for the help. I just ran everything to the yellow ground wire bolt in the head. Game didn’t blow up and plays fine. We shall see. Thanks again!

#3886 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Thanks for the help. I just ran everything to the yellow ground wire bolt in the head. Game didn’t blow up and plays fine. We shall see. Thanks again!

Just make sure the yellow ground in the head is connected to the cabinet below. It needs to ground all the way to the transformer case. I just worked on a Gold Wings that had everything in the head connected but it wasn't connected to the ground braid in the cabinet.

#3887 3 years ago

Great call. I will verify this as well.

#3888 3 years ago

Next Level Pinball Shop & Museum in Hillsboro just brought out TX-Sector last weekend and it looks so beautiful.

1F724EEB-C133-4AB7-8B44-C3BEE5924160.jpeg1F724EEB-C133-4AB7-8B44-C3BEE5924160.jpeg1930B10A-AF7C-4521-90E0-8308C488380A.jpeg1930B10A-AF7C-4521-90E0-8308C488380A.jpeg
#3889 3 years ago

Managed to record a decent game of Alien Star on the weekend... that Never happens when I'm recording! Lol

I think she's ready for our Pinball event at the Bowl next weekend

#3890 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Managed to record a decent game of Alien Star on the weekend

Fantastic game, that was fun to watch.

#3891 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Managed to record a decent game of Alien Star on the weekend... that Never happens when I'm recording! Lol

I think she's ready for our Pinball event at the Bowl next weekend

Nice game.

couple questions, do you have the blue bumper caps or blue lights in them? you on original board set or a replacement?

#3892 3 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

Nice game.
couple questions, do you have the blue bumper caps or blue lights in them? you on original board set or a replacement?

Boardset is original. Pop caps I had were all white but only one with the right pattern, so replaced with Black Hole centres and left the white bodies. Someone needs to do those caps in white!

All of the CPU inserts are Warm White LED, apart from the Spinner insert which has a Blue LED because it seemed a little washed out compared to the rest. Some GI is still the brighter incandecents, with some Warm White LED including the three in the pops. The game has a playfield protector.

#3893 3 years ago

I bought I set of the white caps when I redid mine a little over a year ago, it looks like pbresource has them.

#3894 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Boardset is original. Pop caps I had were all white but only one with the right pattern, so replaced with Black Hole centres and left the white bodies. Someone needs to do those caps in white!

PBR has them.

1 week later
#3895 3 years ago

Ray I will be doing a pinball resource order hopefully late sept or October. Let me know of you need anything. Jesse.
Ps liking the alien star mate

#3896 3 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

Looked up data sheet on 7400 and a 7408 so those don’t cross over. Looks like the 7404 is completely different. I have a local store that may have them so I’ll run by there in a few to see how much they’ll bend me over. I see they are cheap online but this place likes to up charge.

I'm guessing you are talking about "Electronic Connection."

#3897 3 years ago

First time owner of a SYS80, found myself a pretty beat up Alien Star but I am still happy.
I read pretty much the whole thread and went through Pinwiki, did what I could for now but I still have display issue.

-The game boot right away to all 0's on the display (minus the one not working) but I can coin up and start a game. it plays fine all around after that but I am assume there is some kind of issue with all the 0's and not having the 5 seconds boot up sequence?

-The display have missing segments (Unit on all 4, M's on P2 and 4 and service display completely out! the picture didn't catch P4) i went through some of the pinwiki steps (power tested good, display glass was fine...) but i do not have the material to redo the connector yet.
I see the 24 and 19 EDGE connector are out of stock from GPE... what is the alternative? I would rather buy new ones instead of having to remove all the pins one by one and reuse the connector.
20200913_150213 (resized).jpg20200913_150213 (resized).jpg

On a side note, Pinwiki table mention that M's digit out on P2/P4 should be D13 on A1J3-19 with Z18-3 but A1J3 only has a 17 pin connector, am I missing something?

From the picture I think the MPU had quite a bit of work (lots of IC replaced with sockets...) done so after doing the connector if I still have issue I will assume the MPU has issues and a replacement maybe needed...
20200913_182426 (resized).jpg20200913_182426 (resized).jpg
20200913_182437 (resized).jpg20200913_182437 (resized).jpg

#3898 3 years ago

Could someone please confirm the correct allen wrench size for the flipper set screws on a System 1?

Having a heck of a time getting these out, only 1 out of 4 wants to budge. Not sure if my wrench is stripped or if I stripped the screw. Might be rusted in place. Tips/Tricks welcome.

#3899 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

The game boot right away to all 0's on the display (minus the one not working) but I can coin up and start a game. it plays fine all around after that but I am assume there is some kind of issue with all the 0's and not having the 5 seconds boot up sequence?

System 80 has the 5 second boot time.

80a does not.

The 5 second boot time is widely assumed to be a set of startup diagnostic sequences similar to Bally/Stern of the time - it is not, it's just a delay loop! Cheap.

#3900 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

System 80 has the 5 second boot time.

80a does not.

The 5 second boot time is widely assumed to be a set of startup diagnostic sequences similar to Bally/Stern of the time - it is not, it's just a delay loop! Cheap.

good to know, i'll try the connector then see if the MPU itself is the issue. that's the problem with only one machine of that generation, i could use a quick swap to check it out if I another GTB SS

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

1,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Massillon, OH
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

There are 6,542 posts in this topic. You are on page 78 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/78?hl=the9gman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.