(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,524 posts
  • 648 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 27 hours ago by JakePG
  • Topic is favorited by 322 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg
IMG_5720(1) (resized).jpg
IMG_5721(1) (resized).jpg
IMG_5719 (resized).jpg
IMG_3287 (resized).jpeg
20240131_210835 (resized).jpg
20240131_210842 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240110_003042000.MP (resized).jpg
PXL_20240110_004644797 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,524 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 131.
#3801 3 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

be sure and wax good before sticking the new ring down.

Will do. Is this to ensure that the adhesive comes off easily if you decide to pull them up at a later date?

#3802 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Will do. Is this to ensure that the adhesive comes off easily if you decide to pull them up at a later date?

Exactly.

#3803 3 years ago

Brought Haunted House home today.

20200729_133021 (resized).jpg20200729_133021 (resized).jpg
#3804 3 years ago

Does anybody replace their crappy eaten up non-adhesive pop bumper mylar with adhesive mylar rings? Suggestions<

Make sure you wax it before you put the adhesive mylar down and it will aide you greatly should you ever have to pull it. I have taken the old non-adhesive ones off (cut them) then cleaned under them and instead of taking the pop bumper off I cut the new adhesive one in half and applied them half at a time making sure to line the two halves up.

#3805 3 years ago
Quoted from Sputnik:

Brought Haunted House home today

Beautiful pin and a blast to play to boot, congrats on a great pin!

#3806 3 years ago

Finally found a Diamond Lady!

75DB1795-656D-464E-9AEB-35EE6C5D3F34 (resized).jpeg75DB1795-656D-464E-9AEB-35EE6C5D3F34 (resized).jpeg
#3807 3 years ago

Anyone have a proven method for cleaning an 80b translite without causing damage?

#3808 3 years ago

These transistors. Are these consistent throughout 80b games or are there multiple types of these disc transistors used?

https://www.jameco.com/z/MJ2955-Major-Brands-Transistor-MJ2955-TO-3-PNP-Silicon-Power-60-Volt_211502.html

#3809 3 years ago

Had to make a compromise to bring home Spring Break. This machine is one of my favorites but the wife thought it was a little to adult entertainment for the grand kids .....I agreed with her so this is the solution I came up with...had to put clothes on the girl and at the same time I was looking at the back glass and right in the middle there is this kinda obscene dude ....lets just call him Mr. P .....he got censored too cause I'm not gona look at that

IMG_1496 (resized).JPGIMG_1496 (resized).JPGIMG_1498 (resized).JPGIMG_1498 (resized).JPG
#3810 3 years ago

you might say I like system 80B's finally got Raven in the line up, this one took a lot of work , re-soldered daughter board and a work of wisdom to anyone that tries this (chip quick) you really can not do it well without it , replaced the ram with nav-ram kit, replaced a bunch of caps and resistors an LM324 on the audio card and removed the SP0250 chip that was locking up the audio processor but the game and the sound all seem to work so I really don't know what the function of this chip is.....hey what did I expect for 450 bucks.......this one is getting re themed once I figure out how I'm going to change the ma766 sound unit to something else

IMG_1503 (resized).JPGIMG_1503 (resized).JPG
#3811 3 years ago

I hear you brother,I have the bug too

IMG_20200802_144402 (resized).jpgIMG_20200802_144402 (resized).jpg
#3812 3 years ago

Gold Wings is definitely on my short list not that many come up for sale and I think its a great game

#3813 3 years ago

I need a Monte Carlo topper. That thing is ridiculous. Haha

#3814 3 years ago

It's an ok game,the upper Left ramp thingy is impossible to make though

IMG_20200802_145044 (resized).jpgIMG_20200802_145044 (resized).jpgIMG_20200802_145112 (resized).jpgIMG_20200802_145112 (resized).jpgIMG_20200802_145044 (resized).jpgIMG_20200802_145044 (resized).jpg
#3815 3 years ago

Sorry couldn't figure out how to fix the last picture

#3816 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I need a Monte Carlo topper. That thing is ridiculous. Haha

send a pm to Chisel he has one for sale

#3817 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Does anybody replace their crappy eaten up non-adhesive pop bumper mylar with adhesive mylar rings? Suggestions?

All the time!

#3818 3 years ago

System 80b RULES!!

#3819 3 years ago

Just ordered adhesive versions and non-adhesive versions of the pop bumper caps. Thanks for all the help. Next up....

I'm about to triple thick my OG Haunted House Backglass. The part with the most flaking is the on the lower end right next to the lift channel. The lift channel is so ungodly tight that I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get it off....

Should I try harder or just triple thick it with the lift channel on?

#3820 3 years ago
Quoted from the9gman:

Gold Wings is definitely on my short list not that many come up for sale and I think its a great game

Just listed mine for sale

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/100252

1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG
#3821 3 years ago
Quoted from jeep-mustang:

Just listed mine for sale

Great idea for the backglass light. What light is that? Where did you buy it?

#3822 3 years ago

Edit: I just looked it up , did not know that was an original topper , I thought Gold Wings just came with the siren

#3823 3 years ago

Picked this up the other week, seems so alien inside compared to other systems I've worked on. The gameplay looks very basic for the era but I'm sure some cubs fan out there will love it once I rehab it.
I learned that this is the first alpha numeric machine and also the first game with high score initials. Kind of a neat little slice of pinball history.

20200724_131942 (resized).jpg20200724_131942 (resized).jpg
#3824 3 years ago
Quoted from Jahkub:

Picked this up the other week, seems so alien inside compared to other systems I've worked on. The gameplay looks very basic for the era but I'm sure some cubs fan out there will love it once I rehab it.
I learned that this is the first alpha numeric machine and also the first game with high score initials. Kind of a neat little slice of pinball history.
[quoted image]

Almost looks like a street level game Gottlieb was selling 1990-1991.

Simple game with no ramps and basic mechs to reduce downtown for pins in more remote locations. Not as expensive as other games of the timeframe or as prone to downtime.

#3825 3 years ago
Quoted from Jahkub:Picked this up the other week,

will be interesting to see what you get into when you fix that. My first guess would be if the thing has a daughter board on game prom 1 usually always find bad or cracked solder joints on the prom chip socket. seeing as that was one of the first 80B systems I would guess that the caps on the display have degraded there are two 10uf caps and one 470uf cap that get weak. On my last unit the 10uf caps read 1pf and the 470 dropped to 360uf. Not to mention the normal battery corrosion stuff

#3826 3 years ago
Quoted from the9gman:

will be interesting to see what you get into when you fix that. My first guess would be if the thing has a daughter board on game prom 1 usually always find bad or cracked solder joints on the prom chip socket. seeing as that was one of the first 80B systems I would guess that the caps on the display have degraded there are two 10uf caps and one 470uf cap that get weak. On my last unit the 10uf caps read 1pf and the 470 dropped to 360uf. Not to mention the normal battery corrosion stuff

I haven't dug far into it yet, waiting on schematics before I even power it up to test voltages. I does have the daughter board, thanks for the tips. Thankfully it has caps in the battery area so other than some dust, the boards look good.

#3827 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Almost looks like a street level game Gottlieb was selling 1990-1991.
Simple game with no ramps and basic mechs to reduce downtown for pins in more remote locations. Not as expensive as other games of the timeframe or as prone to downtime.

Looking at the playfield I assumed it was late 70's/ early 80's, heck, even early 80's gottliebs had way more going on than this game.

#3828 3 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Great idea for the backglass light. What light is that? Where did you buy it?

I looked but couldn’t find where I got that LED light from.
I bought it a couple years ago.

Sorry I couldn’t be a bigger help.

Bud

#3829 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Just ordered adhesive versions and non-adhesive versions of the pop bumper caps. Thanks for all the help. Next up....
I'm about to triple thick my OG Haunted House Backglass. The part with the most flaking is the on the lower end right next to the lift channel. The lift channel is so ungodly tight that I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get it off....
Should I try harder or just triple thick it with the lift channel on?

where did you buy them,i need a few too...

#3830 3 years ago

Just picked up an Arena today! Super excited! I'll get her in the basement this weekend and get her going!
(Sunlight is hitting the backglass/translite)

20200805_154807.jpg20200805_154807.jpg20200805_195159.jpg20200805_195159.jpg20200805_194828.jpg20200805_194828.jpg20200805_194834.jpg20200805_194834.jpg20200805_194842.jpg20200805_194842.jpg
#3831 3 years ago

Hot take: 90% of Sys80B games wouldn't get as much flack as they do if they had better art packages.

#3832 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

if they had better art packages

Sys80B: Poor Art, Great Sound, a memoir by Gottlieb

#3833 3 years ago
Quoted from Ed150:

Just picked up an Arena today! Super excited! I'll get her in the basement this weekend and get her going!
(Sunlight is hitting the backglass/translite)
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

awesome game,if you've never played it before,you'll love it and the cabinet looks great on this one

#3834 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Hot take: 90% of Sys80B games wouldn't get as much flack as they do if they had better art packages.

don't believe the hype,they're hard to find as it is,and rarely come up for sale.

#3835 3 years ago

Anyone have experience with Victory? I have never been able to figure out how to get the ball to lock into the saucer for the "ball save" feature. I can advance the bonus up to the point of the extra ball light, but every hit into the saucer after that just ejects the ball again. The extra ball light at that location never toggles, but I do get an extra ball light between the flippers. I have tried both the liberal and conservative dip switch settings on the MPU with no change. I am starting to wonder if there is a different version of the game code for this feature.

#3836 3 years ago

Novelty feature on that game? That has to be on or off (can’t remember) to get EBs I think.

#3837 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Novelty feature on that game? That has to be on or off (can’t remember) to get EBs I think.

Okay, I will check that out...I know there is a dip switch for novelty.

#3838 3 years ago

The settings on these are wacky. I remember on genesis I think I had to do two different dip switches to get EBs to turn off. They still light, but just doesn’t award it.

#3839 3 years ago

Hello all,

New to this club, just brought home a Genesis this weekend. I have a few questions may you all have answers for:

1) Other than the backglass size which it can be cut to fit, do standard translite trim channels for a Williams/Bally fit in a Gottlieb head or are there Gott specific channels out there?

2) Does anyone know of a good color match paint for a Genesis head. Have some fill work to do.

3) Can the fluorescent tube in the Genesis head be easily replaced with and LED in any way?

4) there is a hole in the top of the head about lock sized. I assume there was some type of locking bar to keep the backglass in place in these? (it actually works out well that it is not there as I will use the hole to mount a Metropolis-themed topper on it).

5) I have seen plasma toppers for the poppers. Does anyone know where those can be purchased?

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I delve into this machine.

#3840 3 years ago

Alright, tips and trips for removing these metal guides without annihilating the veneered side rails?

IMG_0540 (resized).jpgIMG_0540 (resized).jpg
#3841 3 years ago

Slide a spackle spreader/joint knife down to work the nails out behind them once you get the head out a little bit you can grab it with your fingers or pliers and pull it out. Once those start to come out there's not much friction holding them in.

You don't want to mangle the metal guide at all once that's messed up it will never sit correctly once it goes back on.

#3842 3 years ago

As slochar says. I remove the rail from the game, makes removing the ball guide easier, as you can get under both sides of the nail.

#3843 3 years ago

anybody know where I can get a SP 0250 speech chip?

#3845 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The settings on these are wacky. I remember on genesis I think I had to do two different dip switches to get EBs to turn off. They still light, but just doesn’t award it.

Well, that fixed it! The description of the novelty setting in the manual threw me off...but now I have a working ball lock again. Thanks!!

#3846 3 years ago
Quoted from lhsette:

Hello all,
New to this club, just brought home a Genesis this weekend. I have a few questions may you all have answers for:
1) Other than the backglass size which it can be cut to fit, do standard translite trim channels for a Williams/Bally fit in a Gottlieb head or are there Gott specific channels out there?
2) Does anyone know of a good color match paint for a Genesis head. Have some fill work to do.
3) Can the fluorescent tube in the Genesis head be easily replaced with and LED in any way?
4) there is a hole in the top of the head about lock sized. I assume there was some type of locking bar to keep the backglass in place in these? (it actually works out well that it is not there as I will use the hole to mount a Metropolis-themed topper on it).
5) I have seen plasma toppers for the poppers. Does anyone know where those can be purchased?
That's all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I delve into this machine.

To answer #4 Yes it's a lock hole. Mine has the key and glass locking mech

#3847 3 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Try in France...

Thanks , guess those aren't cheap and somebody just listed some on ebay for 75 bucks each. As far as I can tell its just used for some percussion lines in the Raven game I'm fixing and at this point I think I'm just going to buy some spark fun boards and tinker with making the sound better. I have been looking at other threads on improving the sound of some system 80B games and it seems like people get so far and then they just quit or disappear (go inactive). It's a real mystery. Yes the system 80B audio codes are complicated and the ones used to change the music are hard to figure out, but it seems like the basic sounds that are from the play field come from sound 1,2,4 and 8, bumpers,switches etc. I plan on using a 4 bit to 16 bit chip along with a randomizer circuit for call outs and basic sounds ......The Music ..I'm planning to trigger off the driver board when certain events happen like when the ramp goes down , the snipers come up etc. I have already figured out how to alter the code and change the RAVEN and Top Commandos to 007 and Top Agents .....the rules are not terrible in this game , the play field will be challenging and it will need all new plastics but I think changing this Machine to .......SkyFall will be worth it

#3848 3 years ago
Quoted from Cherga:

Anyone have a proven method for cleaning an 80b translite without causing damage?

Soap and water, nothing else.

#3849 3 years ago
Quoted from lhsette:

Hello all,

Answering number 3... yes, I’ve installed the following on several 80b’s... disconnect the ballast and starter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XC8C222/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00

#3850 3 years ago

Anyone have the measurements of the Backbox glass for Bad Girls?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
There are 6,524 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/77?hl=impzilla and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.