(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,542 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by bajm
  • Topic is favorited by 323 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,542 posts in this topic. You are on page 76 of 131.
#3751 3 years ago
Quoted from Cherga:

Any other feedback on what I should be looking for?

After checking the fuse, check the pop bumper driver board. Pretty sure this game only has one.

#3752 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I'm going off random memories, didn't they run a few tilt/slam switches off eachother? I know many disable the slam switches to stop any random slam/tilts.

i'm not sure. i just know that the manual says the tilt should go to the main board via A1J6-7, and i have no wire there. If you look at the post 3628 and from there, it appears from the people who chimed in, that the manual is wrong. This weekend i hope to install the new diode and see if that is the problem.

#3753 3 years ago

Countdown now at work in our physical therapy department for use by staff and patients.

20200703_120559 (resized).jpg20200703_120559 (resized).jpg20200703_120652 (resized).jpg20200703_120652 (resized).jpg
#3754 3 years ago

Need some help with MGOW... I have an issue with the 6x multiplier light and need some guidance. Q33 was bad and that corrected the issue initially. While converting to LEDs I also noticed the socket was bad so I replaced it. The lamp no longer lights and Q33 is fine. Not sure what else to check. Any thoughts? Thanks

#3755 3 years ago

I'm having a weird issue with sound on Hollywood heat. The board wasn't booting and measuring across c18 only gave .5 volts. I recrimped the output on the power supply and verified 5vdc at the sounds board connector.
But still .5vdc across c18 and board doesn't boot.
So I ran a jumper wire from power supply C2 right side to C18 bottom on the sound board and it worked.

I forgot to test continuity on the wire from the power supply to the sound board. I'll do that next.

Is it possible that something is pulling the 5v low? My guess is it would pull it low just as low with the jumper.

So it has to be a wiring issue correct?

#3756 3 years ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

Thanks for all the tips everyone. Just need to work through some of this.

As mentioned in many threads & posts. It comes down to not enough power getting through to the flippers. Mainly eos switch problems. PBR has been contacted. Thanks again all.

#3757 3 years ago

I’m gonna check out a Monte Carlo pin soon. Priced at $1,000,plays and has the topper. What should I look out for on this title. Thanks

#3758 3 years ago
Quoted from locksmith:

I’m gonna check out a Monte Carlo pin soon. Priced at $1,000,plays and has the topper. What should I look out for on this title. Thanks

Ramp is almost always broken....i'm working on it!

#3759 3 years ago
Quoted from locksmith:

Quoted from JodyG:

Ramp is almost always broken....i'm working on it!

Agreed and great news!

I would also add that Marco and PBR have a few of the game specific parts for this but it's a no go for any plastics or the translite for this game from what I've found.

#3760 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Countdown now at work in our physical therapy department for use by staff and patients.

Always nice to see a Count-Down out in the wild!

#3761 3 years ago

Monte Carlo owners...im going to be running some of these this weekend. Drop me a PM if you would like to get on the list. These are 50% thicker and stronger than the original. (Note- the edges are a bit rough on this test piece in the photo)

20200709_193600 (resized).jpg20200709_193600 (resized).jpg

#3762 3 years ago

JodyG, you're a saint

#3763 3 years ago

Does anybody have teardown pics for Mars God of War? I'm putting together a machine that I picked up that had the majority of the topside torn down. Need to verify post placement and general top side parts. Any leads appreciated!

#3764 3 years ago
Quoted from kilmarnock1350:

Does anybody have teardown pics for Mars God of War?

Have a look at the shopout pictures in the Mars God of War machine gallery:

https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/mars-god-of-war/gallery

#3765 3 years ago

Getting a Panthera soon and it’s missing the power supply. What are my options on replacement? I’d rather not buy from rottendog if I can help it.

Thanks!

#3766 3 years ago

Need new spinner switches for ROCK but PBR is out of B-19354.

This is an assembly of a switch + bracket, does anyone have a part number for the switch by itself?

#3767 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Getting a Panthera soon and it’s missing the power supply. What are my options on replacement? I’d rather not buy from rottendog if I can help it.
Thanks!

Marco carries the one from Gulf Pinball, which seems to be a poor mans clone of the GPE design.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/MA-114

You can also get in touch with Fred Swemmer to see if he has any at the moment.

#3768 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Thanks!

get a ".. 5A DC-DC Boost Buck Step-down Constant Voltage Current LCD Power Supply Module .." for 8 bucks and you are done.
for a 6.5V - 36V input you get a regulated 1.2V - 36V output , and is rated for 4 amps. you can get the less luxury one without a display with 5 bucks.
I got the cheaper version and works fine on my Robowar.
I know the opinion some people have for Chinese products but often you get quality items for really super price.

Screenshot_20200717-165452_eBay (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200717-165452_eBay (resized).jpg
#3769 3 years ago

What does this do exactly? Replace the stock power supply? I already bought a replacement board.

#3770 3 years ago

On another topic, I picked up a Raven in real bad shape ,the play field is completely shot. i guess the original clear coat has turned brown and is flaking off but the residual stuff will not come up with anything i have tried so I have decided to re theme it. I have an idea on how to use something else for the sound board but my question is this. The board has 5 inputs ...Sound 1 ,Sound 2 ,Sound 4, Sound 8 and sound 16 which is a single line from the A9 , I'm thinking they use a single binary code to make 16 different sounds so if the board gets a low input on 1 ,2 and 4 it decodes that to play sound 7 ....Am I in the right ball park or am I out in left field ?

#3771 3 years ago

I decided to do something a little different with my Alien Star. I was inspired by another post (sorry I can't find it right now) of an Alien Star with lit star posts. I took it a little further and wired up nine sets of start posts on opposite sides of the playfield with the star post lights. I then connected them to the 1000 thru 9000 bonus ladder. It it gives the game a cool strobing light show when in attract mode, and moves up the playfield when adding to the bonus during game play.

Added over 4 years ago:

Added a second short clip of the new ball light show.

#3772 3 years ago
Quoted from La4s:

I decided to do something a little different with my Alien Star. I was inspired by another post (sorry I can't find it right now) of an Alien Star with lit star posts. I took it a little further and wired up nine sets of start posts on opposite sides of the playfield with the star post lights. I then connected them to the 1000 thru 9000 bonus ladder. It it gives the game a cool strobing light show when in attract mode, and moves up the playfield when adding to the bonus during game play.

Nice job man that looks great.

#3773 3 years ago

Where can I buy the game EPROMs for Panthera?

#3774 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Where can I buy the game EPROMs for Panthera?

Pinball Resource has all the ROMS to Gottlieb games. Just ask for the latest revision.

#3775 3 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Pinball Resource has all the ROMS to Gottlieb games. Just ask for the latest revision.

I did. They said they don’t have them. Reading their response again they recommended this place:

www.flippers.com

Anyone use them?

#3776 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I did. They said they don’t have them. Reading their response again they recommended this place:
www.flippers.com
Anyone use them?

Haven’t used them yet but that is John’s Jukes.

https://www.flippers.com/catalog/product_info.php/gottlieb-game-sound-promepromgals-p-2802

FYI: there’s a note on the page for Panthera that you’ll receive a single EPROM instead of two, so you may need to perform some jumpering if your board hasn’t already been modified for a single EPROM.

#3777 3 years ago

#3778 3 years ago
Quoted from pincity:

Haven’t used them yet but that is John’s Jukes.
https://www.flippers.com/catalog/product_info.php/gottlieb-game-sound-promepromgals-p-2802
FYI: there’s a note on the page for Panthera that you’ll receive a single EPROM instead of two, so you may need to perform some jumpering if your board hasn’t already been modified for a single EPROM.

Okay cool. I’ll buy this and look into the modification from one EPROM instead of 2. Thanks!

#3779 3 years ago

I have used johns jukes.
He has some obscure parts and charges a premium for them. If you need it, he is often times the only source around.
HOWEVER: service is top notch. Turn around is quick from there to boston. Shipping is reasonable.
Extremely helpful over the phone and via email. You will get what you ask for.
Deal with confidence.

#3780 3 years ago

Weird issue with Hollywood Heat, hoping for some assistance. L40 the “B” lamp which is driven by Q41 on the driver board is dead. Q41 checked ok but I replaced anyway, same issue persists. I also replaced the socket without success. Not sure where to go next... thoughts?

#3781 3 years ago
Quoted from Cherga:

Weird issue with Hollywood Heat, hoping for some assistance. L40 the “B” lamp which is driven by Q41 on the driver board is dead. Q41 checked ok but I replaced anyway, same issue persists. I also replaced the socket without success. Not sure where to go next... thoughts?

1) Check continuity from lamp to driver board. (to rule our wiring & edge connecter terminal)

then check driver board:
2) R41 is not open (has resistance)
3) then check 74175 (latch flip flop) at Z11. Pin 2.

#3782 3 years ago

REGNE thanks, I have continuity from the lamp to the connector. I will check to Q41 as well. I swapped The Driver and MPU and the issue remained. Is there a diode somewhere that could cause the issue?

#3783 3 years ago
Quoted from the9gman:

The board has 5 inputs ...Sound 1 ,Sound 2 ,Sound 4, Sound 8 and sound 16 which is a single line from the A9 , I'm thinking they use a single binary code to make 16 different sounds so if the board gets a low input on 1 ,2 and 4 it decodes that to play sound 7 ....Am I in the right ball park or am I out in left field ?

Yes, that's correct, but sometimes they send a series of codes that will do alternate functions.... and sometimes the sound board itself decides to play one sound out of 2 or 3.

There was a map somewhere I remember seeing of the 'common' codes (like tilt, no sound, game start, etc.) that are the same for each game but I've no idea where I saw it or how long ago it was.

#3784 3 years ago
Quoted from Cherga:

regne thanks, I have continuity from the lamp to the connector. I will check to Q41 as well. I swapped The Driver and MPU and the issue remained. Is there a diode somewhere that could cause the issue?

My edit above does you no good since you swapped the driver and MPU. I still think it's 1).

Yes. check from lamp onto PCB. rule out that edge connector pin. also check other side of the lamp is connected to other working lamps.
& I believe all diodes are in the switch matrix, so no diode.

#3785 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Yes, that's correct, but sometimes they send a series of codes that will do alternate functions.... and sometimes the sound board itself decides to play one sound out of 2 or 3.
There was a map somewhere I remember seeing of the 'common' codes (like tilt, no sound, game start, etc.) that are the same for each game but I've no idea where I saw it or how long ago it was.

Thanks slochar . I have been troubleshooting the old board for a noise problem and realize its a beast, the actual songs are made on several different chips and mixed at the final output amp. I built an led decoder to look at the inputs and try and decode some of the sound commands. I figure it this way the old ems only used three chimes so if I can figure out a way to to play a couple of songs and get 16 wav sounds I will be happy. Anything is better than the cheesy sound effects the machine comes with

#3786 3 years ago

ok so I'm definitely deep in it and determined to figure this out. sound one ,two,four and eight are 1 millisecond triggers. sound 16 is strange it either stays low or goes high depending on whats going on in the play field. right now I think it mostly controls what song is being played but, it also moves intermittently to create certain sounds. Since there are 15 possible commands on lines one,2,4 and 8 that would mean there are 30 possible commands due to the function of sound 16. What makes this difficult is that to make a machine gun noise the control actually spits out 5 triggers on the one line that makes the single gunshot sound. I'm thinking I can use a 4 line in to 16 line out converter with a long delay de-bounce circuit and a wave trigger board for the normal sounds and call outs and an mp3 trigger with a modified trigger circuit using sound 16 to select the songs

#3787 3 years ago

Hi Pinsiders. I am trying to track down a part from a Gottlieb System 80 Multi-ball Gate Mechanism. This gate is used on Black Hole, Devil's Dare, Mars God of War, Volcano and several others. Gottlieb lists the part number as A-20606 and describes it as a "gate". The pictures show the entire unit and the part that I need. Steve at Pinball Resource doesn't have any of them left so I am reaching out to you guys. If anyone has a spare A-20606 "Gate" or has the complete unit I will gladly purchase either. Please shoot me a PM if you have one you can part with.

Many Thanks

Ken

Gottlieb Ball Lock (resized).jpgGottlieb Ball Lock (resized).jpgGottlieb A-20606 Gate (resized).jpgGottlieb A-20606 Gate (resized).jpgGottlieb Ball Gate (resized).jpgGottlieb Ball Gate (resized).jpg
#3788 3 years ago

Just realized Panthera has a plastic spinner. Bummer. Haha. Anyway the metal gottlieb spinner can be installed?

#3789 3 years ago

Does anyone have a J2 connector for a system 80b control board? Thanks!

#3790 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just realized Panthera has a plastic spinner. Bummer. Haha. Anyway the metal gottlieb spinner can be installed

Both of mine have plastic too probably all Gottlieb used in the early boards.

#3791 3 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Both of mine have plastic too probably all Gottlieb used in the early boards.

Yeah metal isn’t stock by any means, just wanted to maybe mod the game for a metal one to get better rippage

#3793 3 years ago
Quoted from Cyberrocker:

Hi Pinsiders. I am trying to track down a part from a Gottlieb System 80 Multi-ball Gate Mechanism. This gate is used on Black Hole, Devil's Dare, Mars God of War, Volcano and several others. Gottlieb lists the part number as A-20606 and describes it as a "gate". The pictures show the entire unit and the part that I need. Steve at Pinball Resource doesn't have any of them left so I am reaching out to you guys. If anyone has a spare A-20606 "Gate" or has the complete unit I will gladly purchase either. Please shoot me a PM if you have one you can part with.
Many Thanks
Ken
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I think I got what your looking for.(see picture for match)
Funny I’ve got an old Genesis playfield mostly parted out, when I looked almost all mechs are missing then crazy enough here is the part you need dangling from part of the leftover wiring harness, not connected to anything, lol.

I feel like God must have wanted you to have it, since it was missed and left hanging there when the playfield was parted out.
If you wanna pay for shipping I’ll send it your way.

Just pm me your address.

Bud

C406B596-4F81-47E1-9CB9-2AD08EA21431 (resized).jpegC406B596-4F81-47E1-9CB9-2AD08EA21431 (resized).jpeg
#3794 3 years ago
Quoted from jeep-mustang:

I think I got what your looking for.(see picture for match)
Funny I’ve got an old Genesis playfield mostly parted out, when I looked almost all mechs are missing then crazy enough here is the part you need dangling from part of the leftover wiring harness, not connected to anything, lol.
I feel like God must have wanted you to have it, since it was missed and left hanging there when the playfield was parted out.
If you wanna pay for shipping I’ll send it your way.
Just pm me your address.
Bud[quoted image]

Thanks Bud! PM Sent.

#3795 3 years ago

Would anyone have the paint codes for the purple paint on the cabinet of Hulk? Are they even available somewhere, or is it best to just match with color swatches on a per machine basis? Thanks

#3796 3 years ago

Does anybody replace their crappy eaten up non-adhesive pop bumper mylar with adhesive mylar rings? Suggestions?

#3797 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Does anybody replace their crappy eaten up non-adhesive pop bumper mylar with adhesive mylar rings? Suggestions?

I have done it on 2 machines and I think it works great. the bad part pulling the bumper cleaning underneath it and reassembly

#3798 3 years ago

I'm getting a tilt and game over randomly on joker poker. Slam switches are gapped wide for home use, same with plumb bob. Tried to run a switch test, can get switch in the display, but cant figure out how to run test. Any ideas on tilting and how to run test? Ni wumph and rotten dog

#3799 3 years ago
Quoted from the9gman:

I have done it on 2 machines and I think it works great. the bad part pulling the bumper cleaning underneath it and reassembly

Yes. Definitely not looking forward to this part...

#3800 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Yes. Definitely not looking forward to this part...

it's not to bad, the de-soldering and re-soldering of the light socket wires is really the only pain part. i've done it on several machines, although the ones I cleared I did not put a mylar ring back. be sure and wax good before sticking the new ring down.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waterbury, CT
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

1,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodhaven, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Madison, WI
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,542 posts in this topic. You are on page 76 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/76?hl=la4s and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.