(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,542 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by bajm
  • Topic is favorited by 323 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,542 posts in this topic. You are on page 75 of 131.
#3701 3 years ago

Hey Gang,

Has anyone re-pinned the A1J1 (+5V) connector on a system 80B?

I think these pins from Ed would work [08-52-0072]

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=08-52-0072

I can’t quite figure out how the existing pins come out, though . Do you need the molex removal tool for this connector or is there an alternative approach?

#3702 3 years ago
Quoted from pincity:

I think these pins from Ed would work [08-52-0072]

All the parts needed here.
https://www.docentelectronics.com/httpdocs/AmusementGames/Pinball/Gottlieb/system%2080%20AB.htm

A video that shows the pin removal.

#3703 3 years ago

Thanks! My A1J1 connector doesn't have the little slots like in the video but it helps to visually see where the tail is on the pin so that I can try to disengage it.

#3704 3 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Glad to be in the club!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Love quirky sounds of the older Gottlieb games. Especially Totem!

#3705 3 years ago

Anyone have a Gold Wings Topper For sale; working or not? If so, please PM. Thanks!

#3706 3 years ago

Does anybody know the must do mods specifically on a BoneBusters.
Is there a Checklist of things?

#3707 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

My first System 1; It had been in a basement for the last 30 years dead with no key for the head. I drilled the lock and this is what I found behind the backglass, a very unmolested unit back there. The tilt wiring and outhole had been disconnected in the cabinet for some reason, undoubtedly an attempt to "repair" the unit after the battery leaked.
I repaired the tilt wiring and outhole switch, pulled the battery off the MPU, did some quick clearing of the board contacts and fired up with the MPU unplugged. Checked and set voltage and plugged everything in.
Looks like it is stuck in slam tilt mode even with C2 bypassed but the MPU looks to be working. No insert lights but the GI and displays work and the ball in the saucer was ejected on power up so the MPU is seeing the switch matrix and can activate a coil.
I'm going to replace the interconnect cable (already on order) and use the good pins from the old cable to rebuild the J6 connector which has several broken ones from the battery leakage and go from there.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Well I replaced the interconnect cable, replaced the pins in the mpu connectors and.. nothing. Just 000000 on the displays. Not even kicking out a ball from the saucer or 70 on the display.

Anyone have an aftermarket system one MPU for sale? Hate to use it for parts.

#3708 3 years ago

Hey now progress!

Have a 5 second boot up now! Replaced the Z29 buffer chip and this got me out of slam tilt mode.

Now I get coin up tones, start tones and the first step of the diagnostics which will power up the flippers , outhole and popper. The MPU is seeing the switch matrix too.

Displays are good and sharp.

20200609_175409 (resized).jpg20200609_175409 (resized).jpg
#3709 3 years ago
Quoted from vassq:

Does anybody know the must do mods specifically on a BoneBusters.
Is there a Checklist of things?

Be sure to do the ground mods: https://www.flippers.com/gottlieb_ground_cures.html

#3710 3 years ago

Newish to System 80. My (rather ugly) Alien Star won’t play a game after sitting for a couple months.

I reseated some connectors to get it to come on and it did start a game, but all solenoids and switches are unresponsive.

What should I be looking for? Any connectors in particular?

Thanks a bunch everyone.

#3712 3 years ago

Anyone have a “family friendly” Bad Girls alternate translite? I’ve seen some alternates that were less family friendly than the original but nothing the other way. If someone has a Photoshop file with correct sizing and placement of the display cutouts, that would help too. Thanks!

#3713 3 years ago

Hi guys,

Just got a Supet Orbit with a very loud humming sound coming from the speakers.
Any known part that could be causing that?

Thanks

#3714 3 years ago

Just picked up a Mars God of War. Anyone have a pdf service manual? Thanks!

#3715 3 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Hi guys,
Just got a Supet Orbit with a very loud humming sound coming from the speakers.
Any known part that could be causing that?
Thanks

No one?

#3716 3 years ago

Ok, i got this weird ROM problem, after i did some romchip juggling (to test MPU board from a Goldwings) my comrade managed to put int he ROM2 chip in backwards in my Hollywood Heat MPU, which we all know pops the chip dead, so i got the "Missing ROM2" message after booting HH up, and i figured i do a quick reburn a new ROM2 with a brand new chip, and now the "Missing ROM2" message is gone, but the game doesnt boot anymore, it lights up the backbox and a load of lamps on the playfield and also have a section of attractmode going (Extra ball and Bonus multiplier strips) but nothing more, even with the quick ON/OFF trick. did i burn the romchip wrong? faulty but brand new chip? is there some trick to burning Gottlieb roms? i used the modded "free credits" Roms you can get from flipprojets.fr and changed the dipswitches to match.

#3717 3 years ago

Nihonmasa Not sure if this title has a line filter, but if so, I’d check that. I’ve found most Gottlieb speaker hum issues were ground related.

#3718 3 years ago

Anyone have a nice scan/actual size pdf of this section of the Arena playfield?

D9146E50-CBB6-48D0-BB84-B51AB3F434AA (resized).jpegD9146E50-CBB6-48D0-BB84-B51AB3F434AA (resized).jpeg
#3719 3 years ago

I have a blank digit on my credits/ball in play display, System 1. Can anyone provide a (portion of) picture of the schematic of this display board?

#3720 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

I have a blank digit on my credits/ball in play display, System 1. Can anyone provide a (portion of) picture of the schematic of this display board?

Sys 1 Credit Display Schematic (resized).pngSys 1 Credit Display Schematic (resized).png

#3721 3 years ago

Cheddar, thank you. Does this mean Z1 is not used for anything on this board????

#3722 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Cheddar, thank you. Does this mean Z1 is not used for anything on this board????

Z1 is used as an input to Z2 pin 2. Between the connector and Z2

#3723 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Z1 is used as an input to Z2 pin 2. Between the connector and Z2

OK..I see it now. My D7 display is blank. So if I don't have a bad connection somewhere, and my MPU is good, then I can assume the Z3 is defective?

I see Z3 can also be tested. With the power off, disconnect the display and use a DMM set to diode function:

Red DMM lead on udn6116 chip ground (pin 9)
Black DMM lead on udn6116 pin 2 to pin 8 - reading of .5 to .7 should be seen.
Black DMM lead on udn6116 pin 11 to pin 17 - a null (no reading) should be seen.
Sound like a plan?

#3724 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

OK..I see it now. My D7 display is blank. So if I don't have a bad connection somewhere, and my MPU is good, then I can assume the Z3 is defective?
I see Z3 can also be tested. With the power off, disconnect the display and use a DMM set to diode function:
Red DMM lead on udn6116 chip ground (pin 9)
Black DMM lead on udn6116 pin 2 to pin 8 - reading of .5 to .7 should be seen.
Black DMM lead on udn6116 pin 11 to pin 17 - a null (no reading) should be seen.
Sound like a plan?

I have never done this but that sounds like a plan

#3725 3 years ago

If anyone needs a spare System 80b MPU board and driver board, I have a set for sale. See my ad for details.

#3726 3 years ago

Looking for a working sys80 Mpu and driver for my MGOW. Pm if you have. Thanks

#3727 3 years ago
Quoted from Cherga:

Anyone have a nice scan/actual size pdf of this section of the Arena playfield?
[quoted image]

I wound up hand painting mine after the tedious task of hand mixing colors to match. Then I clear coated.. Seems to be a very common wear area on that game. Sadly, I no longer have the game. I DO have scans of the rest of the playfield that was no missing paint on mine.

20180526_120400 (resized).jpg20180526_120400 (resized).jpg20180526_135642 (resized).jpg20180526_135642 (resized).jpg
#3728 3 years ago

Ordered a new MPU from PBR. I could muck around with the OEM board for weeks and it still could have a bad spider chip.

Cleaned all the inserts and made sure all the lamps were working and refreshed the power board and reflowed its headers.

20200618_175553 (resized).jpg20200618_175553 (resized).jpg
#3729 3 years ago

Well this is awkward.. I got the System One board to work. After replacing the outhole driver on the driver board, I did some work on the MPU and brought it back to full operation.

So when the aftermarket MPU shows up send it back or keep it?

20200622_094420 (resized).jpg20200622_094420 (resized).jpg20200622_085455 (resized).jpg20200622_085455 (resized).jpg
#3730 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

So when the aftermarket MPU shows up send it back or keep it?

The new MPU I have has a new rule set options you can use, I think it really helps me enjoy Cleopatra.
Extra ball, high score recall and skill shot options makes the game a bit better.

#3731 3 years ago
Quoted from Impzilla:

The new MPU I have has a new rule set options you can use, I think it really helps me enjoy Cleopatra.
Extra ball, high score recall and skill shot options makes the game a bit better.

Ended up canceling the MPU order, its working well and I think I'll be moving it along in the near future. It is pretty fun to play but not a big drop target fan.

I'll be able to list it for less without a new MPU baked into the pie.

1 week later
#3732 3 years ago

Can anyone help me with sys 80 flippers. They are weak. Feels like the ball is too heavy for the flipper or the flipper is dragging. I've tried cleaning, adjusting, rebuilds to no avail. I'm at my wits end with these Gottliebs. Bally's, no problem. Adjust & go, strong as hell. Any direction or guidence is much appreciated. Thanks. Scott

#3733 3 years ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

Can anyone help me with sys 80 flippers. They are weak. Feels like the ball is too heavy for the flipper or the flipper is dragging. I've tried cleaning, adjusting, rebuilds to no avail. I'm at my wits end with these Gottliebs. Bally's, no problem. Adjust & go, strong as hell. Any direction or guidence is much appreciated. Thanks. Scott

did you check what voltage you get at the flipper coils?

#3734 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I'm heading in that direction. As well as cleaning and recleaning all switch contacts involved. Including q & t relays as mentioned in other posts. Its been frustating to me. 3 seperate games with weak ass flippers! Thanks for the response. I'll report back.

#3735 3 years ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

I'm heading in that direction. As well as cleaning and recleaning all switch contacts involved. Including q & t relays as mentioned in other posts. Its been frustating to me. 3 seperate games with weak ass flippers! Thanks for the response. I'll report back.

Seems like the first thing you'd want to check, no?

#3736 3 years ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

I guess, start with how much voltage is at your outlets, then you know what your games are getting.
Then you could go down and check voltage at the test points to make sure the boards/transformer have good voltage, then move to power at the coil(s). If this is your first time doing this, yes it can be overwhelming and daunting, however just ask questions, do some googling and focus on one thing at at time.

#3737 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Seems like the first thing you'd want to check, no?

I actually find the Gottliebs are very sensitive to flipper pivot and sleeve condition and usually the first thing I look at along with EOS switch.

#3738 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

How do I check voltage at the flipper coil?

#3739 3 years ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

How do I check voltage at the flipper coil?

Put the game to on/attract mode. Get your DMM and set to DC voltage. Black lead goes to cabinet ground. Red goes to the power leg of any coil. You should read a voltage. The manual should state the voltage it should be.

#3740 3 years ago

Refiled down switches. Ever so slightly better. Having trouble getting voltage readings?

#3741 3 years ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

Refiled down switches. Ever so slightly better. Having trouble getting voltage readings?

What trouble are you having?

#3742 3 years ago

Another tip...take care when tightening the flipper crank to the shaft of the flipperbat. When it is too low, the whole flippercrank will rest on the lower bearing and when it too high you will get a sticky flipper. The last issue most of us will be aware of, but with the double bearing baseplates Gottlieb uses in system 1 and ststem 80, the first will be an issue too and you will loose power. It can be a bit of a hassle to get the crank floating between the 2 nylon bearings.

#3743 3 years ago

Thanks for all the tips everyone. Just need to work through some of this.

#3744 3 years ago
Quoted from Slogan1111:

Thanks for all the tips everyone. Just need to work through some of this.

I’m troubleshooting a coil not firing on my sopranos and was documenting tests via video but haven’t finished...

#3745 3 years ago

Thought I'd throw this out here in this thread to see if anybody has any suggestions, I've got an Amazing Spiderman System 80 that locks up after it's sat in attract mode for 5 or 6 hours. I know that's not really that big of a deal, but it's still kind of weird, something is going on there.

Ni-Wumpf MPU Board
Ni-Wumpf Driver Board
Gulf Pinball Power Board
New capacitor in the transformer board
New bridge rectifier in the transformer board
Seperate grounds back to the power supply (ground mod)
The extra 2 wires added into the interconnect
CPU harness repinned (the 5 volt/ground connection from the power supply)

Game plays great no issues and all the boards are new except the sound board. Power supply voltage is at 5.05 and 5.04 on the cpu and driver....

It's just a little bit of an annoying issue, it wouldn't be able to be operated like that (as if anybody's still operating System 80's much).

It has a slight heat component to it, once it locks up if you turn it off and back on it immediately boots and plays fine... but it will lock up in a couple hours instead of 5 hours.

When it locks up it kind of just freezes where it is (in attract).... so the score displays are still lit, the lights on the playfield are still lit (whichever one was lit up)... it's as if the game has just frozen in the middle of the attract mode it's in. No coils or anything lock on, and the displays are legible and just look as if it's stopped where it was.

The Ni-Wumpf board is an early one, I think serial number in the 300's, it's one of the ones where they had to preprogram it to whatever game you wanted. These machines have so many ground issues and things I hate to bug Ace about it possibly being the MPU if somebody's seen something similar but I'm kind of running out of grounds to fix

#3746 3 years ago

Have a System 1 game, TOTEM, with Ni-Wumpf MPU and original driver board and PS. Game is shopped and plays great except for the tilt bob functionality. The bob is new and all metal contacting parts are clean. It takes repeatedly HARD hits to tilt the game. Normal bumps of the bob into the brass ring do not tilt the game. I've read this problem on other postings and other websites, and it seems to pertain only to System 1 games running the Ni-Wumpf. I have the original version Ni-Wumpf, and they deny there is any issue with their board. Interesting however, the Version II board has settings for tilt that my version doesn't have.

Anyway, has anyone here ever dealt with this tilt bob problem, and any solution out there?

#3747 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Have a System 1 game, TOTEM, with Ni-Wumpf MPU and original driver board and PS. Game is shopped and plays great except for the tilt bob functionality. The bob is new and all metal contacting parts are clean. It takes repeatedly HARD hits to tilt the game. Normal bumps of the bob into the brass ring do not tilt the game. I've read this problem on other postings and other websites, and it seems to pertain only to System 1 games running the Ni-Wumpf. I have the original version Ni-Wumpf, and they deny there is any issue with their board. Interesting however, the Version II board has settings for tilt that my version doesn't have.
Anyway, has anyone here ever dealt with this tilt bob problem, and any solution out there?

I have an issue on my Joker Poker. Tilt bob doesnt work. i have found that the wiring in my machine doesn't match the manual, but also looks original. I have also now found a blown diode for the playfield tilt that seems to have the tilt bob running through it as well. i have a new diode, just haven't installed yet.

look at post 3584 and 3635 in this thread.

#3748 3 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

I have an issue on my Joker Poker. Tilt bob doesnt work. i have found that the wiring in my machine doesn't match the manual, but also looks original. I have also now found a blown diode for the playfield tilt that seems to have the tilt bob running through it as well. i have a new diode, just haven't installed yet.
look at post 3584 and 3635 in this thread.

I'm going off random memories, didn't they run a few tilt/slam switches off eachother? I know many disable the slam switches to stop any random slam/tilts.

#3749 3 years ago

Just picked up a Hot Shots. The Pop Bumper coil doesn’t fire but the spoon switch registers points. Diode is good, haven’t checked the coil yet. Any other feedback on what I should be looking for?

Also need a manual if anyone has one on electronic form. Thanks

#3750 3 years ago
Quoted from Cherga:

Just picked up a Hot Shots. The Pop Bumper coil doesn’t fire but the spoon switch registers points. Diode is good, haven’t checked the coil yet. Any other feedback on what I should be looking for?
Also need a manual if anyone has one on electronic form. Thanks

Check the pop bumper board fuse.
F15 under the playfield.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Las Vegas, NV
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

There are 6,542 posts in this topic. You are on page 75 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/75?hl=cadmium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.