(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,524 posts
  • 648 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 30 hours ago by JakePG
  • Topic is favorited by 322 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg
IMG_5720(1) (resized).jpg
IMG_5721(1) (resized).jpg
IMG_5719 (resized).jpg
IMG_3287 (resized).jpeg
20240131_210835 (resized).jpg
20240131_210842 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240110_003042000.MP (resized).jpg
PXL_20240110_004644797 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,524 posts in this topic. You are on page 73 of 131.
#3601 3 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

still looking for help with the Joker Poker tilt.

Here is a couple pics of mine. Hope it helps. and yes that is only 4 diodes on that board if that's the one you are referring to.

IMG_20200502_164830 (resized).jpgIMG_20200502_164830 (resized).jpgIMG_20200502_164903 (resized).jpgIMG_20200502_164903 (resized).jpg
#3602 3 years ago

Yeay our spring brake landed today!
Just a little bit dirty and missing the epic translite

31AD2E54-8A15-4187-B90D-C7340C44032C (resized).jpeg31AD2E54-8A15-4187-B90D-C7340C44032C (resized).jpeg
#3603 3 years ago

Finishing up a shop job on an Alien Star. Love the game but have no room for it. Let me know if you're interested. Located in Charlestown, RI.

#3604 3 years ago

Hey gang - I have a quick question on a Gottlieb Pinball Pool I've been fighting switch matrix issues with for awhile.

I'm getting odd things in the switch matrix - for example when certain drop targets are down, it kills other switches in the same line. I thought it was one specific line (game wouldn't start because the start button was getting killed is target '2' was down) - but as I've troubleshot that one, I've noticed others (ex - sometimes 9 won't work if others are down - also killed the corresponding coin switch, etc). I've checked all diodes, repinned J6 and J7 for all switches, etc - and done more visual verifications than I can count... Any ideas where to check next?

Also - I'm using a Pascal all in 1... This is actually my second Pin Pool - the first one had a quart of oil dumped on it and I got it for very cheap... Unfortunately, it's been a lot more work to save than expected and I found another one locally with a much better playfield. The boards were shockingly ok, but I already had the all in 1 for the first, so I'm going with that for now while I recap the power supply. I don't think it's ground mod related because of that - but open to any ideas or things to look at.

#3605 3 years ago
Quoted from TheRave:

Finishing up a shop job on an Alien Star. Love the game but have no room for it. Let me know if you're interested. Located in Charlestown, RI.

Shouldn't have a problem selling an Alien Star, seems to be a lot of buzz around the title lately.

-Hans

#3606 3 years ago
Quoted from Drussksu:

Hey Pinsiders,
I am thinking about getting a Genesis. Does anyone know if it's still possible to find the clear replacement lamps/pop bumper caps for this game?
Thanks,
Dan

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10434Z these ??

#3607 3 years ago

Those look white, but Zitt was making some cool parts in transparent colors. These look like the same pop caps gottlieb used on sys1, sys80 and maybe em? they may be worth asking. however you'd be missing art unless you did some viny...hey that would be cool.....

#3608 3 years ago
Quoted from dahlman:

[quoted image]

I have the cardboard so hope to have scanned in tomorrow morning!

#3609 3 years ago

Ordo moved into a new place so we hauled the sys1’s over in one trip! Snug as a bug in the rug

32CF0C86-319E-4666-9C0D-2E064ECADDFC (resized).jpeg32CF0C86-319E-4666-9C0D-2E064ECADDFC (resized).jpeg
#3610 3 years ago

Just picked up this baby.

774EFFAC-6E13-404D-9A9A-8CB237039731.jpeg774EFFAC-6E13-404D-9A9A-8CB237039731.jpeg
#3611 3 years ago

Picked this up this week. Added some missing parts and now it needs cleaning.

20200429_183445 (resized).jpg20200429_183445 (resized).jpg
#3612 3 years ago
Quoted from Blackghost4:

Picked this up this week. Added some missing parts and now it needs cleaning.

Nice find. Seems like literally every Robo War has a cracked/broken lower pop bumper cap. Mine was the same way. Marco's generic white Gottlieb pop bumper body fits it, even though it says it doesn't--assuming you don't order from Pbresource.

#3613 3 years ago
Quoted from dahlman:

[quoted image]

Scan is complete; I have a 600 DPI TIFF file ready for upload when I get home tonight.

sb (resized).pngsb (resized).png
#3614 3 years ago

I recently had a Diamond Lady owner ask if I would create some apron cards for him, so I wanted to offer them to other owners.

I print the cards on a photo quality printer using 6 color OEM inks and thick OEM ultra gloss photo paper. I then coat with a clear gloss vinyl and color the white edges for a finished look when installed.

The cards are $10 per set including postage. If interested in purchasing, please PM me to arrange payment. The cards are made to order, and I'm usually able to send no more than one or two days from day of payment.

IMG_3878 (resized).JPGIMG_3878 (resized).JPG
#3615 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'd look close at the plunger yoke first to see if it wedging itself in place.

Quoted from gdonovan:

Look to see if the yoke is hitting at the indicated spots. If it does this will cause the yoke to cock over and jam the plunger into the side of the sleeve. Drove me crazy on my Black Hole finding. I ground the point down on the yoke an 1/8" inch and it fixed it.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from BorgDog:

If you shut off power and it stays down, sounds like a magnet to me. plunger or coil stop as you say.

UPDATE: on the stuck pop bumper

Ok so new parts in. The coil bracket, plunger, yoke metal and yoke fiber. Installed and now the yoke/plunger does not hit the coil bracket anymore. So it seems they made some adjustments so the plunger is hitting the coil stop and now that yoke doesn't hit. I'll try this now and see if it sticks.

#3616 3 years ago

Back home, safe and sound and file uploaded.

20200505_153816 (resized).jpg20200505_153816 (resized).jpg

#3617 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

UPDATE: on the stuck pop bumper
Ok so new parts in. The coil bracket, plunger, yoke metal and yoke fiber. Installed and now the yoke/plunger does not hit the coil bracket anymore. So it seems they made some adjustments so the plunger is hitting the coil stop and now that yoke doesn't hit. I'll try this now and see if it sticks.

New parts and it still sticks. Here’s a video

#3618 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

New parts and it still sticks. Here’s a video

Interesting, it acts like it is binding up.

A PITA I know, try swapping the whole assembly coil and all from one location to another to see if problem follows?

#3619 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Interesting, it acts like it is binding up.
A PITA I know, try swapping the whole assembly coil and all from one location to another to see if problem follows?

yup, if it is binding i wonder if it is the pop ring itself. sucks to remove that, but maybe I'll swap tonight . WILD!!! you'd think it was the coil but it holds while off for so long. GRRRR, but luckily when it sticks the pascal disables play, but obviously I want to play it

EDIT: so you mean swap the coil, coil bracket, yoke aka the easy stuff from under the pf? I can do that tonight and test tomorrow!

#3620 3 years ago

Quick question on a Mars God of War that I just picked up. It has a new MPU and connector between the MPU and driver. It appears to be playing correctly, with all sounds and speech as appropriate. However, at game over, the game speaks the final sentence (Battle is over, Mars is supreme) but the final sound effect which slowly fades away does not play at all.
I'm hoping you System 80 guys can help out here. Any ideas what might be going on or where to look? Thanks!

#3621 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

yup, if it is binding i wonder if it is the pop ring itself. sucks to remove that, but maybe I'll swap tonight . WILD!!! you'd think it was the coil but it holds while off for so long. GRRRR, but luckily when it sticks the pascal disables play, but obviously I want to play it
EDIT: so you mean swap the coil, coil bracket, yoke aka the easy stuff from under the pf? I can do that tonight and test tomorrow!

I mean everything lock, stock and barrel. Yes I know the light connections are a pain but you can always do what you suggested first to see if it changes anything.

#3622 3 years ago

Quick question for Rock/Encore owners....
Does the game make a sound when players are added to the game? All of my other 80b games do but my Rock doesn’t seem to at all. Wondering if this is the programming or an issue with my game. Thanks for the info in advance..

#3623 3 years ago
Quoted from BaymenCoach:

Quick question for Rock/Encore owners....
Does the game make a sound when players are added to the game? All of my other 80b games do but my Rock doesn’t seem to at all. Wondering if this is the programming or an issue with my game. Thanks for the info in advance..

I've tested this in PinMame and the same as you say.
No sounds when adding another player.
For a Rock machine, the sound doesn't rock that much...

#3624 3 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

I've tested this in PinMame and the same as you say.
No sounds when adding another player.
For a Rock machine, the sound doesn't rock that much...

Thanks, that’s why I changed the sound roms to the Encore ones. So strange, no player start sound. Guess it’s just lazy programming.

#3625 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I mean everything lock, stock and barrel. Yes I know the light connections are a pain but you can always do what you suggested first to see if it changes anything.

got busy rebuilding a sys1 psu last night and work this am. I'll be trying to swap the easy parts over tonight. I did place a pop ring on order last night for giggles and a backup.

#3626 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Working on some new ramps for 80B fans! Diamond Lady on the left will be available in clear, red and smoked. On the right is the first of the three ramps in Victory. Same color options as Diamond Lady.[quoted image]

Excellent, would be interested in ramps for Excalibur, Arena & TX Sector if considering it?

#3627 3 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

Here is a couple pics of mine. Hope it helps. and yes that is only 4 diodes on that board if that's the one you are referring to.[quoted image][quoted image]

Ok, looks just like mine, do you have a wire at A1J6-7? Also does your tilt work?

#3628 3 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

Ok, looks just like mine, do you have a wire at A1J6-7? Also does your tilt work?

My tilt does work, I'm not near my JP at the moment, but here is a snip from an old pic of my A1J6.

I'm not real good at reading the schematics, but the tilt wiring is a little weird.

A1J6 (resized).PNGA1J6 (resized).PNG
#3629 3 years ago

Here are some pics of my wires and schematics from sys1 pinball pool

4B566FC3-345D-4513-A247-C20DF6A736E1 (resized).jpeg4B566FC3-345D-4513-A247-C20DF6A736E1 (resized).jpeg5915C011-2EB0-400F-A957-C84EA1148403 (resized).jpeg5915C011-2EB0-400F-A957-C84EA1148403 (resized).jpegD3EC960B-D512-43DA-82B3-673F764081B4 (resized).jpegD3EC960B-D512-43DA-82B3-673F764081B4 (resized).jpeg
#3630 3 years ago

that's weird, it's even called out on the Pascal board as tilt pendulum and you have no wire there either @northvibe

Joker Poker manual a bit different on the switch matrix

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#3631 3 years ago

OK, found this in the system 1 service manual. Are the game manuals wrong?

Annotation 2020-05-07 115405 (resized).pngAnnotation 2020-05-07 115405 (resized).png
#3632 3 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

that's weird, it's even called out on the Pascal board as tilt pendulum and you have no wire there either northvibe
Joker Poker manual a bit different on the switch matrix[quoted image]

so whats up with pascal board saying tilt pendulum j14?

#3633 3 years ago

I don't think the J14 text goes with the tilt pendulum text, I think J14 is that block of jumper pins to the right, the tilt pendulum text follows the line to S4 which is A1-J6-7

So i think whats going on is like in your Pinball Pool matrix image, in the bottom left I believe the tilt on the back of the playboard and the tilt bob run together through A6J4-9 and return on A1J7-6 (instead of A1J6-7, maybe someone transposed). The red line below connects the two sides of the same pin on that connector. Make sense? now why Insane is not working is another matter, but maybe look at A1J7-6

Annotation 2020-05-07 122020 (resized).pngAnnotation 2020-05-07 122020 (resized).png
#3634 3 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

I don't think the J14 text goes with the tilt pendulum text, I think J14 is that block of jumper pins to the right, the tilt pendulum text follows the line to S4 which is A1-J6-7
So i think whats going on is like in your Pinball Pool matrix image, in the bottom left I believe the tilt on the back of the playboard and the tilt bob run together through A6J4-9 and return on A1J7-6 (instead of A1J6-7, maybe someone transposed). The red line below connects the two sides of the same pin on that connector. Make sense? now why insane is not working is another matter, but maybe look at A1J7-6 [quoted image]

it was close enough to make me wonder if it was with or without the tilt pendulum... ya makes sense

#3635 3 years ago

Sorry, for the delay, here is what i have. My Joker Poker manual looks exactly like what BorgDog posted above. As i said th wires going to A1-J6 up to the connector look original, ,except the connector and red wires. The last pic is the wires going there. No Purple, or pur wht, etc. i do have a solid purple at A1j7-6.

Any suggestinos are appreciated. i checked for continuity between the pendulem wire (wht-blu) and the playfield Tilt, and have continuity.

IMG_20200509_105125731 (resized).jpgIMG_20200509_105125731 (resized).jpgIMG_20200509_105133699 (1) (resized).jpgIMG_20200509_105133699 (1) (resized).jpgIMG_20200509_105140878 (resized).jpgIMG_20200509_105140878 (resized).jpgIMG_20200509_105247002 (resized).jpgIMG_20200509_105247002 (resized).jpgIMG_20200509_105321604 (resized).jpgIMG_20200509_105321604 (resized).jpg
#3636 3 years ago

Ok, so as you can see in the above, i have 7 wires at A1J6, the manual says i should have 8. I have looked at that wire loom all the way back to the bottom panel, and have 7 wires there as well. so can anyone verify that the manual is correct, and if so, where does the A1J6-7 wire come from. I also went into switch test, and the pendulum tilt, doesn't register at all. Even jumping the wires together to take out the possibility of bad connection between the lead plumb, and the brass ring.

#3637 3 years ago

Yeah, it looks like an error in the manual. My LISY1 Solar Ride setup looks identical (outside of switching over to screw terminal blocks instead of the molex plug), including positions 7 and 9 being empty on that connection. And my tilt pendulum actually works here.

#3638 3 years ago

Hey Joker Poker owners,

I'm restoring a playfield to working condition and looking for some info that's not in the manual or parts catalog.

-How many of each type of post screw? Same length for both heights of star posts?
-How many tall star posts is correct and where do they go? Manual calls out 2 but I pulled 8 off the playfield. Slingshots and the 4 posts by the extra ball target?
-The posts at the top of the slings show 2 positions, but on my playfield they are mounted w/ machine screw posts and t-nuts. Operator hack? There are multiple stripped post holes that would benefit from this.
-Does anyone have a good picture of a playfield with just the plastics removed?

Thanks in advance!

#3639 3 years ago

Gotta reach out for some help because I'm at a loss....

Here's my situation, picked up a Rock and have it playing sweet but have a problem that I can't track down. When playing the game, I lose music (but not sounds) at times until a set of drop targets is reset and then the music returns to the game. I have done all of the ground mods, repinned the soundboard, power supply, aux power supply, and every reset line connected to the sound board (including the display board connector). Can't seem to track down the problem but only occurs when the top row of drop targets are plugged in and it seems to somehow be related to the right flipper button if that makes sense. Looked over the schematics and the entire game countless times. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions at this point? Thanks for the help everyone!

#3640 3 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Thanks Scott for the kind words. I need to come play this bad boy. Ct crew get togethers are lacking big time lately. I just secured the pinball store in Milford for the league and some tournaments and hope to do an open house there probably next Thursday night of your free. Trying to get the local players together to check it out before we start in January.
Don't own my place here in CT Gerry. Plenty of room in the house we still own and rent out up in Maine. Its a tough choice. Stay here and make good money to afford this hobby but be limited in space or move back to Maine and have room but make shitty money.

I have a 1,400 sq foot finished basment avalible to use, with a bar ,kitchen and bathroom

#3641 3 years ago
Quoted from BaymenCoach:

Gotta reach out for some help because I'm at a loss....
Here's my situation, picked up a Rock and have it playing sweet but have a problem that I can't track down. When playing the game, I lose music (but not sounds) at times until a set of drop targets is reset and then the music returns to the game. I have done all of the ground mods, repinned the soundboard, power supply, aux power supply, and every reset line connected to the sound board (including the display board connector). Can't seem to track down the problem but only occurs when the top row of drop targets are plugged in and it seems to somehow be related to the right flipper button if that makes sense. Looked over the schematics and the entire game countless times. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions at this point? Thanks for the help everyone!

I'm reverse engineering a Rock/Rock Encore and preparing to rip audio so I might be able to help.

The top row of targets is what advances the music so that makes sense it's related. Right Flipper in the switch matrix is the EOS switch on the right flipper. I don't see how it could be related, it only shares 1 strobe line with the upper drops.

There are 5 data lines so only 32 possible sound commands. You gets sounds, but are you sure it's playing all the correct sounds?

There's that oddball data line, Sound 16, that gets routed through the playfield instead of going direct to the sound board. This is working correctly?

If you have an EPROM burner you could try the sound roms for Rock Encore and see if it makes a difference WRT losing music.

#3642 3 years ago
Quoted from RatShack:

I'm reverse engineering a Rock/Rock Encore and preparing to rip audio so I might be able to help.
The top row of targets is what advances the music so that makes sense it's related. Right Flipper in the switch matrix is the EOS switch on the right flipper. I don't see how it could be related, it only shares 1 strobe line with the upper drops.
There are 5 data lines so only 32 possible sound commands. You gets sounds, but are you sure it's playing all the correct sounds?
There's that oddball data line, Sound 16, that gets routed through the playfield instead of going direct to the sound board. This is working correctly?
If you have an EPROM burner you could try the sound roms for Rock Encore and see if it makes a difference WRT losing music.

Thank you for trying to help. The game fully plays music and the correct sounds until it resets at a random point from the top set of drop targets. I can only get this happen while popping the right flipper for some reason. Can’t get it to happen with the left one for some reason. I have tried both sets of sound roms for Rock and Encore with the same results. Swapped out a full board set today and got the same results in the game. As for the boards that were in the game, they work perfectly in another cabinet. Any ideas as to which direction I head next?

#3643 3 years ago
Quoted from BaymenCoach:

Thank you for trying to help. The game fully plays music and the correct sounds until it resets at a random point from the top set of drop targets. I can only get this happen while popping the right flipper for some reason. Can’t get it to happen with the left one for some reason. I have tried both sets of sound roms for Rock and Encore with the same results. Swapped out a full board set today and got the same results in the game. As for the boards that were in the game, they work perfectly in another cabinet. Any ideas as to which direction I head next?

From testing in PinMAME there's only 1 sound command that stops the music playback (31, the last one), so that would be with all data lines high. Doesn't sound like that's your problem.

Maybe the flipper is causing the sound board to reset? Did you swap cables along with the boardset? And this happens randomly, not after hitting the 4th target in sequence?

#3644 3 years ago

Didn’t switch cables but have checked continuity on every reset line and put new pins in every one. The reset is completely random other than it being from the top drop targets. If I just push them though, it never trips off. How do you initiate sound 31? Might be something that may help.

#3645 3 years ago
Quoted from BaymenCoach:

Didn’t switch cables but have checked continuity on every reset line and put new pins in every one. The reset is completely random other than it being from the top drop targets. If I just push them though, it never trips off. How do you initiate sound 31? Might be something that may help.

It's something the CPU would be doing and I was doing in an emulator. If you had a line stuck high then I could see that happening but then you'd have mixed up sounds.

Maybe try putting paper in-between the drop switch contacts and see if the issue's related to a specific drop. Don't forget about the 10pt switches in that area, they also share a strobe line with the right flipper.

#3646 3 years ago

I haven't heard back from Todd at BDE, I ordered the sys1 solenoid driver voltage rebuilt kit, but the capacitors are different than what is on the board and are the same value but different type and I want someone who may know, to verify that is ok.

I have from the kit, .1 uf and .01uf ceramics. they are supposed to replace the axial and ceramic discs.
attached are my caps/kit and the old ones. Just have C22, C20 and c25 left to do.

image0 (resized).jpegimage0 (resized).jpegs-5vregkit1a (resized).jpgs-5vregkit1a (resized).jpg
#3647 3 years ago
Quoted from RatShack:

It's something the CPU would be doing and I was doing in an emulator. If you had a line stuck high then I could see that happening but then you'd have mixed up sounds.
Maybe try putting paper in-between the drop switch contacts and see if the issue's related to a specific drop. Don't forget about the 10pt switches in that area, they also share a strobe line with the right flipper.

Pm sent to you Ratshack...

#3648 3 years ago

Couple sys1's i have questions on:

Dragon - rebuilt the PSU, put it back into the game, ONLY plugged in power to the psu board. Was poking my DMM at the voltages to try and get the pot's aligned correctly and noticed the wire loom from the cabinet to bring power up was hot. Haven't noticed hot wires on any other sys1 games. Game GI all works with powered on.

Rollerdisco - lisy1 board, rottendog driver, rebuilt psu. I repinned a ground on A3J4 with the wrong pin. Friend played the game though, and it worked, then after a while he said the outhole kicker would kick then stay ON, and then all other coils stopped working. I went back today, repinned the correct pin. Game boots kicks a ball out, the outhole ball coil stays on and no other coil works, includes flippers, drop target reset. Tried swapping driver board from Dragon to roller disco, same behavior. Did a diod get blown on a coil, or is the lisy1 blown? this seems kinda nuts.

#3649 3 years ago

Saved this one from being extinct. She came back to life. Wish @hardtops made a playfield for her, mine is roached. What is with the coin door? This one is narrow and I have seen others with the regular size? I like the narrow better, its unique. I cleared the translite, she is original. Metal legs and trim came back to life with a shit ton of high speed buffing.

20200514_194350 (resized).jpg20200514_194350 (resized).jpg20200514_194358 (resized).jpg20200514_194358 (resized).jpg20200514_194410 (resized).jpg20200514_194410 (resized).jpg20200514_194419 (resized).jpg20200514_194419 (resized).jpg

#3650 3 years ago

nice Alien Star. I like the narrow door much better on this one, shows much more of the stencil artwork.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
There are 6,524 posts in this topic. You are on page 73 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/73?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.