(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,524 posts
  • 648 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 42 hours ago by JakePG
  • Topic is favorited by 322 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg
IMG_5720(1) (resized).jpg
IMG_5721(1) (resized).jpg
IMG_5719 (resized).jpg
IMG_3287 (resized).jpeg
20240131_210835 (resized).jpg
20240131_210842 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240110_003042000.MP (resized).jpg
PXL_20240110_004644797 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,524 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 131.
#3551 3 years ago

All the mandatory ones i did before I ever powered it up. Played maybe 50 games between when I did then and when it quit working.

Was thinking I did adjust a couple pop bumper switches along the way and may not have powered it off so maybe i arc'd something. No fuses blown though.

Quoted from Pin-up:

There are ground mods that should be done to the system 1 games as well. I would do the ground mods and see what happens. That might save from having to purchase a new board as well.

#3552 3 years ago
Quoted from pkrobin:

All the mandatory ones i did before I ever powered it up. Played maybe 50 games between when I did then and when it quit working.
Was thinking I did adjust a couple pop bumper switches along the way and may not have powered it off so maybe i arc'd something. No fuses blown though.

I've got a Buck Rodgers waiting for a restore as well, and it was doing random and strange things at power up as well. I was going to do the ground mods on mine and see where it ends up at.

Since you've already done them, maybe the next step is the replacement board.

If I remember right these have the "spider" chips on them that are basically unattainable now and difficult to work with for many.

#3553 3 years ago

The leaf switches on two of the pops on my Solar ride are missing the bottom leaf. Do I need to take apart the whole assembly to replace them or can I just replace the switch and spoon assembly separately?

I am new to this whole pinball maintenance and restoring thing, but I think the pops are causing odd behavior with my rollover switches. Any advice is appreciated.

#3554 3 years ago
Quoted from callmedoor:

The leaf switches on two of the pops on my Solar ride are missing the bottom leaf. Do I need to take apart the whole assembly to replace them or can I just replace the switch and spoon assembly separately?
I am new to this whole pinball maintenance and restoring thing, but I think the pops are causing odd behavior with my rollover switches. Any advice is appreciated.

The switch assembly is effectively independent of the rest of the pop bumper - you can remove it without removing the bracket or the coil.

What sort of odd behavior are you seeing with the rollover switches?

#3555 3 years ago

Has anybody, or anybody thought about adding in WPC/Modern Stern style playfield rails under the playfield to their Sys1 or Sys80?
Something like this.
https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-pinball-support-slide-bracket-kit-for-spike-spike-2-machines.html

#3556 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Has anybody, or anybody thought about adding in WPC/Modern Stern style playfield rails under the playfield to their Sys1 or Sys80?
Something like this.
https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-pinball-support-slide-bracket-kit-for-spike-spike-2-machines.html

Its probably not a bad idea because I seem to have board issues which I figure I might have caused just adjusting a couple switches with the power on (can't imagine what else I might have done) so if thats how fragile these things are you want to protect those under PF electronics best you can.

#3557 3 years ago
Quoted from LynnInDenver:

The switch assembly is effectively independent of the rest of the pop bumper - you can remove it without removing the bracket or the coil.
What sort of odd behavior are you seeing with the rollover switches?

LynnInDenver What is happening is sometimes when I power the game on the rollover switches just don't work. I do the Sys 1 "test" where you press a switch and see a flicker in the displays and when I first power the game on sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. The switches on the rollovers are solid as far as I can tell and are not shorting the line.

When I start a game and I trigger the pops the rollovers generally work for the time that the game is on. It's never just one rollover switch that doesn't work, it's all of them.

The only thing I have found so far is related to the pops and then I noticed that the switches for them were broken. I honestly don't know if this could fix the problem, but either way those switches need replacing.

#3558 3 years ago
Quoted from callmedoor:

lynnindenver What is happening is sometimes when I power the game on the rollover switches just don't work. I do the Sys 1 "test" where you press a switch and see a flicker in the displays and when I first power the game on sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. The switches on the rollovers are solid as far as I can tell and are not shorting the line.
When I start a game and I trigger the pops the rollovers generally work for the time that the game is on. It's never just one rollover switch that doesn't work, it's all of them.
The only thing I have found so far is related to the pops and then I noticed that the switches for them were broken. I honestly don't know if this could fix the problem, but either way those switches need replacing.

So, for rollovers, is it the Star rollovers (the three round ones in the open area of the playfield), or the rollover lanes, either the skill lanes up near the top, or the inlane/outlanes, or all of the rollovers mentioned? It's kind of odd that the switches sometimes don't work until the pops fire. Here's the lay of the switch matrix for all the rollovers I mentioned, note that some switches are wired in parallel and hence the MPU sees all of them as a single switch:

Both Outlanes: Column 1, Row 0.
Inlane: Column 1, Row 1
Star Rollovers: Column 1, Row 2

Skill Rollover 1: Column 2, Row 0
Skill Rollover 2: Column 2, Row 1
Skill Rollover 3: Column 2, Row 2
Skill Rollover 4: Column 2, Row 3

Also, do the 10 point rubber switches suffer the same as the rollovers, if it's the lower lanes and stars? Those are ALSO in the column alongside Outlanes, Inlanes and Stars, on Row 3.

The Pop Bumpers have two switches between the three of them: Column 4, Row 0 for the front one, Column 4, Row 3 for the back pair. The kickout holes (where you reset the drops if they're all down) are on Column 4 as well (Row 1 for lower, Row 2 for upper), and you might check to see if activating one of those has the same effect as hitting a pop in terms of shaking the rollover switches out of their stupor.

#3559 3 years ago
Quoted from LynnInDenver:

So, for rollovers, is it the Star rollovers (the three round ones in the open area of the playfield), or the rollover lanes, either the skill lanes up near the top, or the inlane/outlanes, or all of the rollovers mentioned? It's kind of odd that the switches sometimes don't work until the pops fire. Here's the lay of the switch matrix for all the rollovers I mentioned, note that some switches are wired in parallel and hence the MPU sees all of them as a single switch:
Both Outlanes: Column 1, Row 0.
Inlane: Column 1, Row 1
Star Rollovers: Column 1, Row 2
Skill Rollover 1: Column 2, Row 0
Skill Rollover 2: Column 2, Row 1
Skill Rollover 3: Column 2, Row 2
Skill Rollover 4: Column 2, Row 3
Also, do the 10 point rubber switches suffer the same as the rollovers, if it's the lower lanes and stars? Those are ALSO in the column alongside Outlanes, Inlanes and Stars, on Row 3.
The Pop Bumpers have two switches between the three of them: Column 4, Row 0 for the front one, Column 4, Row 3 for the back pair. The kickout holes (where you reset the drops if they're all down) are on Column 4 as well (Row 1 for lower, Row 2 for upper), and you might check to see if activating one of those has the same effect as hitting a pop in terms of shaking the rollover switches out of their stupor.

LynnInDenver It's just the star rollovers. None of the other other switches you mentioned are affected. I checked this a while ago while the star rollovers weren't working and the switches for the outlanes and inlanes worked fine. Basically everything still works and scores as usual where the stars will just not.

I'll check to the kickout holes next. Do you have any resources on switch matrices and how they work? I watched a video about how the machine sends signals, but I could use some more reading to really understand.

#3560 3 years ago
Quoted from callmedoor:

lynnindenver It's just the star rollovers. None of the other other switches you mentioned are affected. I checked this a while ago while the star rollovers weren't working and the switches for the outlanes and inlanes worked fine. Basically everything still works and scores as usual where the stars will just not.
I'll check to the kickout holes next. Do you have any resources on switch matrices and how they work? I watched a video about how the machine sends signals, but I could use some more reading to really understand.

They refer to "strobes" and "returns" on switch matrixes. The issue is that the old microcontrollers in MPUs couldn't actually handle more than a few inputs, so they used some "glue" logic (74** series logic chips). On a System 1, the Column (first number) is the Return, and the Row (second number) is the Strobe. What it does is it polls the Column, and sees what Rows have been connected to that column, then moves on to the next Column in series. So, instead of needing 24-30 inputs/outputs on the microcontroller, it only needs 12, and the glue logic interfaced into that matrix actually reduces it even further.

#3561 3 years ago

Anyone have a good pic of a backglass? Back and front, I also need a good pic on the side because will bring this back to life and will have to build a cab after the meassures from my genie but need pattern for painting it.

Cheers

received_782093452131100 (resized).jpegreceived_782093452131100 (resized).jpeg
#3562 3 years ago
Quoted from Andreas:

Anyone have a good pic of a backglass? Back and front, I also need a good pic on the side because will bring this back to life and will have to build a cab after the meassures from my genie but need pattern for painting it.
Cheers[quoted image]

I have a roller disco game at work, I could take picture(s) for you. It has some art missing though

#3563 3 years ago
Quoted from Andreas:

Cheers[quoted image]

Is that for real???

#3564 3 years ago
Quoted from Andy_B:

Is that for real???

Looks like someone turned it into a coffee table. Better than most of the coffee table conversions that I've seen.

#3565 3 years ago

Picking it up tomorrow..founda backglass I will buy next weekend
Freaking bad made coffetable. Gonna be fun to make it a game sgain

#3566 3 years ago

hey guys, got a question hopefully someone can answer. I have a Star Race where I have two problems after I moved it. Displays 3 and 4 are missing every 'one' that should be displayed on them. also I find that the game will randomly reboot during a game, every third game or so.
yet for the last 4-5 years it was playing fine.

#3567 3 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

hey guys, got a question hopefully someone can answer. I have a Star Race where I have two problems after I moved it. Displays 3 and 4 are missing every 'one' that should be displayed on them. also I find that the game will randomly reboot during a game, every third game or so.
yet for the last 4-5 years it was playing fine.

The usual suspects....
Connectors, ground upgrade....

#3568 3 years ago

hmmm, ya the ground update is done. and i have disconnected and re-seated all connectors 5ish times. i even switched out the interconnect harness. but all to no avail.

#3569 3 years ago

hmmm, ya the ground update is done. and i have disconnected and re-seated all connectors 5ish times. i even switched out the interconnect harness. but all to no avail.

If the connectors are good, check Z16.
That is the inverter gate for the h segment for player 3 and 4.
A 7404 chip, happens often...

#3570 3 years ago

Awesome thanks, will check that after i check the connectors for The tenth time

#3571 3 years ago

Awesome thanks, will check that after i check the connectors for The tenth time

also check cold solder joints on the A2 power supply

#3572 3 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

If the connectors are good, check Z16.
That is the inverter gate for the h segment for player 3 and 4.
A 7404 chip, happens often...

+1

#3573 3 years ago

question for you guys. was rebuilding a pop bumper on a Monte Carlo sunday. now all of a sudden the roulette wheel doesn't spin. from what I see in the manual, it is tied to relay 0. When in test mode, I notice relay 0 is closed and then relay D fires. Does relay 0 always stay charged? I did check the transistor q22 on the driver board is good. also made sure the ic at z6 is good. What else could cause the wheel not spin? all advice and help is greatly appreciated.

#3574 3 years ago

I started a game last night and noticed that relay 0 is on during the game. so where can I check since the driver board components seem to good?

#3575 3 years ago

Hi Gottliebers!

Anyone got an original spring break translite for sale or have an hires scan or photo of one?

Drop me a pm!

Best regards
Peter

#3576 3 years ago
Quoted from dahlman:

Hi Gottliebers!
Anyone got an original spring break translite for sale or have an hires scan or photo of one?
Drop me a pm!
Best regards
Peter

I might be able to help you with a scan if you give me a few days. You will have to stitch it together though

#3577 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I might be able to help you with a scan if you give me a few days. You will have to stitch it together though

Oh Thank’s! Would really appreciate it!
No problem to stitch it!

#3578 3 years ago
Quoted from dahlman:

Hi Gottliebers!
Drop me a pm!
Best regards
Peter

There are alternatives available (with boobies).
https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/catalogsearch/result/?q=Spring+break+translite

Ahh, there out of stock.
Darn....

#3579 3 years ago
Quoted from dahlman:

Oh Thank’s! Would really appreciate it!
No problem to stitch it!

I'll try to pull today so I can bring into work and use the nice scanner

#3580 3 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

There are alternatives available (with boobies).
https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/catalogsearch/result/?q=Spring+break+translite

Ahh, there out of stock.
Darn....

I just ordered both of them last night. Hopefully they have the ones I ordered.

#3581 3 years ago

Ok!

It’s the original master piece i’am looking for...

#3582 3 years ago

Ok I need some help, I can’t figure this out unless I swap all parts...

Game: pinball pool
Left pop bumper seems to stick down randomly after some pops. If I shut power off the ring stays down.

Manually moving feels perfect, never hangs.
I’ve gapped then spoon switch bigger to make sure it isn’t arching.
I sanded down any lip on the coil stop and plunger.
New sleeve
Made sure it wasn’t catching on the pop body.

When it catches and I pull up, it almost feels like it is a magnet letting go... right one works fine.

Thoughts are diode on coil not blocking voltage? Or maybe the coil stop or plunger has become magnetized. And could be replaced...

#3583 3 years ago

If you shut off power and it stays down, sounds like a magnet to me. plunger or coil stop as you say.

#3584 3 years ago

OK, hopefully someone can help.
Joker Poker, tilt not working.
Pendulum that is.
According to the schematics it should be (please correct me if i am wrong)
Tilt switch, which is part of the roll tilt switch, looks like it should be the bottom most connection
Pur-wht to A6J1-6 ----A6P1-6 Pur-wht -- IN270 diode Pur --A1J6-7

Mine is
Tilt switch Wht-Blu---A6J1-6---A6P1-6 Pur-Wht then it appears to goto the playfield tilt switch.
i have no wire at A1J6-7, it has been rewired, but i have no purple there, and it doesn't appear that the wire loom has been molested at any time. just the A1J6 connector and about 5 inches of wire.
There are only 4 diodes on the bottom panel, i would believe that there should be 5 per the manual and schematics.

Any and all help is appreciated. Can anyone with Joker Poker see if what i am seeing is what they have?

#3585 3 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

If you shut off power and it stays down, sounds like a magnet to me. plunger or coil stop as you say.

I'd look close at the plunger yoke first to see if it wedging itself in place.

#3586 3 years ago

Spiderman..right flipper burns 24vac coil fuse. As fast as touching the cabinet button it blows.

Changed coils, diods, cabinet switch and bridge rectifier...it blows direct when pushing it. Its on a spiderman. Where do I go from here?
Could eos switches do this?

Game works when playing without touching right flipper. all the other coil works.

#3587 3 years ago
Quoted from Andreas:

Spiderman..right flipper burns 24vac coil fuse. As fast as touching the cabinet button it blows.
Changed coils, diods, cabinet switch and bridge rectifier...it blows direct when pushing it. Its on a spiderman. Where do I go from here?
Could eos switches do this?

Yes, they could if wired incorrectly.

#3588 3 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Yes, they could if wired incorrectly.

Thanx...works now..wrong wire

#3589 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'd look close at the plunger yoke first to see if it wedging itself in place.

I took it apart and checked, seemed fine. I ordered new yoke, stop, plunger and coil stop today from PBR.

I can't believe how cool the pascal all-in-1 board is. I spaced on the extra features, turned them on and man that is bad ass. Attract mode, skill shot, ball save, high scores etc. Super neat.

#3590 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I took it apart and checked, seemed fine. I ordered new yoke, stop, plunger and coil stop today from PBR.
I can't believe how cool the pascal all-in-1 board is. I spaced on the extra features, turned them on and man that is bad ass. Attract mode, skill shot, ball save, high scores etc. Super neat.

Look to see if the yoke is hitting at the indicated spots. If it does this will cause the yoke to cock over and jam the plunger into the side of the sleeve. Drove me crazy on my Black Hole finding. I ground the point down on the yoke an 1/8" inch and it fixed it.
20191127_201604_resized (resized).jpg20191127_201604_resized (resized).jpg20191127_201614_resized (resized).jpg20191127_201614_resized (resized).jpg

#3591 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'll try to pull today so I can bring into work and use the nice scanner

Any success with the scanner?

#3592 3 years ago
Quoted from dahlman:

Thanks for reminder, I'll try to pull tonight. Been working on this...

20200428_185228 (resized).jpg20200428_185228 (resized).jpg
#3593 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Look to see if the yoke is hitting at the indicated spots. If it does this will cause the yoke to cock over and jam the plunger into the side of the slide. Drove me crazy on my Black Hole finding. I ground the point down on the yoke an 1/8" inch and it fixed it.[quoted image][quoted image]

yeah it hits...I have the new parts coming so maybe that will help. Ohh you just ground down, i can try that as the part probably wont come for a few days.

#3594 3 years ago
Quoted from dahlman:

I have it pulled but she is brittle so will find a box I can bring it to work to protect while in transport.

20200429_200154 (resized).jpg20200429_200154 (resized).jpg
#3595 3 years ago

Not to change the subject, but I had a random shower thought: did Gottlieb use flash lamps in any game prior to their System 80B generation? I know certainly not in any System 1 games, but I can’t recall them being used in any System 80 or 80A games either. What was their first game to use them?

#3596 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I have it pulled but she is brittle so will find a box I can bring it to work to protect while in transport.[quoted image]

Great!

#3597 3 years ago

Hey Pinsiders,

I am thinking about getting a Genesis. Does anyone know if it's still possible to find the clear replacement lamps/pop bumper caps for this game?

Thanks,

Dan

#3598 3 years ago

I haven't gotten any replies in my tech thread I started. Would anyone in here mind pointing me in the right direction?

Thanks

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/amazing-spider-man-blowing-f5-power-supply-fuse

#3599 3 years ago
Quoted from Drussksu:

Hey Pinsiders,
I am thinking about getting a Genesis. Does anyone know if it's still possible to find the clear replacement lamps/pop bumper caps for this game?
Thanks,
Dan

dan,did you check the genesis club on here? they may have an answer for you.

#3600 3 years ago

still looking for help with the Joker Poker tilt.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gainesville, GA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dayton, OH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 7.50
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models
Other
$ 50.00
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lemont, IL
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,524 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/72?hl=drussksu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.