(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,542 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 39 hours ago by bajm
  • Topic is favorited by 323 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,542 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 131.
#3451 4 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Would highly recommend just buying a new S/S Board from Fred Swemmer. I just purchased one for my Black Hole, and it truly is a nice piece of work.

Also $249 plus shipping and people have reported some incompatibilities.

SC-01 do show up time to time, just need to wait till one does.

#3452 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Genesis and Monte Carlo owners- Do you know if your playfield windows bolt entirely through the playfield (attach with a nut on the bottom), or do they use wood screws into the wood? I am wondering if I can make playfield windows for those games that will not have the exposed flat heads on them, the same way they did Bad Girls and Teed off? I am guessing Monte Carlo has the same size window as Teed Off since it is the same mech.

I never owned a Monte Carlo, but i've had 3 Genesis's and on Genesis it's just black wood screws that go through the plexi via the top of the PF and there's "spongy" washers in between the plastic and the lip in the PF. The "fairness" of the window relative to the PF is metered by how tight you make the screws, and the spongy washers give the needed resistance to hold the screws tight once you fair the window relative to the PF. As they dry out, you end up with that lip, and loose/missing screws.

It's a completely different (and simpler) design compared to Bad Girls. it also does not have the black "ring" around the edge on the underside like the window on Bad Girls has. It's just a triangle piece of smoked plexi.

#3453 4 years ago
Quoted from Oldschool77:

I never owned a Monte Carlo, but i've had 3 Genesis's and on Genesis it's just black wood screws that go through the plexi via the top of the PF and there's "spongy" washers in between the plastic and the lip in the PF. The "fairness" of the window relative to the PF is metered by how tight you make the screws, and the spongy washers give the needed resistance to hold the screws tight once you fair the window relative to the PF. As they dry out, you end up with that lip, and loose/missing screws.
It's a completely different (and simpler) design compared to Bad Girls. it also does not have the black "ring" around the edge on the underside like the window on Bad Girls has. It's just a triangle piece of smoked plexi.

Interesting, thank you for this info! If someone would want a flush mount window with no screws exposed, I am willing to make one up to try. They would have to drill out the original screw holes to allow the new nylon 10-32 machine thread screw to pass through. The top would have a black ring painted or vinyl decal placed on top for a trim effect. Bad Girls had the ring painted on the top. New foam washers would be included so the height can be set flush.

#3454 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Yeah, probably just should’ve went that route in the first place. Already dumped $100 on this board.
I had Swemmer boards in my HH, and they were great. Although there was an issue with a few solenoids from his driver board. Original board fixed the problem.

I feel your pain. I fried my BH S/S board and the moment I looked into replacing parts for it I gave a big NOPE and bought a new one. I've noticed his driver board has been out for a while and I've been really curious about a replacement driver boards altogether. Luckily all of my driver boards have always worked. CPUs on the other hand...

#3455 4 years ago

Now available: Reproduction playfield windows for Bad Girls. Comes turnkey with new foam washers.
Mirror glass for under the window will be available shortly.

20200227_172319 (resized).jpg20200227_172319 (resized).jpg
#3456 4 years ago

Does anybody know what size the connector pins on the power supply are? I need to get those replaced & am getting an order together.
Actually, does anybody what I should order for the pins themselves? G-P-E has a selection & I don't have a clue.

#3457 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

For those of you wanting to get rid of that nasty florescent tube in your 80B backboxes, this LED setup from Amazon looks great and is super easy to install. You'll need to open up the mounting holes for the tube mount slightly, but the stock bolt will go back in the stock hole for perfect spacing with the included mounts. I clipped the wire right after the plug and used the included wire nuts to connect. You want straight 110v, so get rid of the transformer and starter all together. The 6500k daylight deluxe version seems to make the translite less washed out than the original bulb.
The whole setup costs a whopping $12 shipped if you have Prime.
Link to LED tube: amazon.com link »
[quoted image][quoted image]

I've been replacing them with this version from Home Deport. Works good and a little cheaper.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/toggled-24-in-8-Watt-Cool-White-4000K-T8-Linear-Tube-LED-Light-Bulb-E208-40310/205622686

#3458 4 years ago
Quoted from Topher5000:

Does anybody know what size the connector pins on the power supply are? I need to get those replaced & am getting an order together.
Actually, does anybody what I should order for the pins themselves? g-p-e has a selection & I don't have a clue.

I believe its 08-52-0072 for 18 - 20g wire and 08-50-0134 for 22 - 26g wire.

#3459 4 years ago
Quoted from Andy_B:

I believe its 08-52-0072 for 18 - 20g wire and 08-50-0134 for 22 - 26g wire.

Thanks, but it's the pins on A2J1 & J2 that I need. A2J1 feels 'gritty' when I push the connector on.
Great Plains has PN 26-20-2061 that I think is correct, but it's out of stock.
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=26-20-2061

A2J1 (resized).pngA2J1 (resized).png
#3460 4 years ago

I’ve been fixing a Genesis for a couple of months that came to me totally wrecked. I’m close to fully operational but having an issue with the soundboard. The board originally did not work but after bench testing it against a good board I have almost all the sounds working.

It is not playing any switch sounds. I’ve been methodically replacing ICs and testing using the schematic but no luck. You can see from the attached picture the ICs I’ve changed because I’ve added sockets. I’ve also tried swapping the ROMs.

Can anyone help me understand which part of the board is responsible for switch hits? My baseline test is using the credit switch to see if a sound is made. With a working soundboard the game makes the add credits sounds. With this soundboard it doesn’t. Is there anyway to determine from the schematic which data line makes this sound?
E6B1634C-3E77-45B4-912A-FECB0C307105 (resized).jpegE6B1634C-3E77-45B4-912A-FECB0C307105 (resized).jpeg

#3461 4 years ago

An SC-01A chip has been received from a fellow hobbyist! Thanks for all the input.

86C1E934-3E4C-4CB8-AFE2-61CB6DCE3C2B (resized).jpeg86C1E934-3E4C-4CB8-AFE2-61CB6DCE3C2B (resized).jpeg
#3462 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

An SC-01A chip has been received from a fellow hobbyist! Thanks for all the input.[quoted image]

4982cac716b61501e7a92d05802385118bc5c98987c767f4e344d430ead68453.gif4982cac716b61501e7a92d05802385118bc5c98987c767f4e344d430ead68453.gif
#3463 4 years ago
Quoted from cadmium:

I’ve been fixing a Genesis for a couple of months that came to me totally wrecked. I’m close to fully operational but having an issue with the soundboard. The board originally did not work but after bench testing it against a good board I have almost all the sounds working.
It is not playing any switch sounds. I’ve been methodically replacing ICs and testing using the schematic but no luck. You can see from the attached picture the ICs I’ve changed because I’ve added sockets. I’ve also tried swapping the ROMs.
Can anyone help me understand which part of the board is responsible for switch hits? My baseline test is using the credit switch to see if a sound is made. With a working soundboard the game makes the add credits sounds. With this soundboard it doesn’t. Is there anyway to determine from the schematic which data line makes this sound?

The sound is split into different channals.
The first one is coming from sound generator K4 (AY-3-8913) and going via pre-amp H1 (LM324). C7 is a small suspect.
The second is coming from DAC at E2 (AD7528J) and going via pre-amp B1 (LM324) and also using pre-amp A5 (LM314). C13 C37 are a small suspect.
The third is coming from sound generator H4 (AY-3-8913) and also going via pre-amp H1 (LM324). C23 is a small suspect.

You can easily discover which one you are missing.
Take out one of the chips (K4, H4, E2) and listen if any sounds disappeared.
Put it back in and goto the next.
Remember to turn the machine of when doing so.

Peter

#3464 4 years ago

Display 3 and 4 is dead on my spidey. Recrimped connectors to board (Janin all in one). Tried with working displays without any luck. Payer 1 and 2 works fine and also creditdisplay. Where do I go from here? recrimp display connections? The look ok.

#3465 4 years ago
Quoted from Topher5000:

Thanks, but it's the pins on A2J1 & J2 that I need. A2J1 feels 'gritty' when I push the connector on.
Great Plains has PN 26-20-2061 that I think is correct, but it's out of stock.
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=26-20-2061[quoted image]

Try Part Number 26-48-1241 at GPE. Same pin spacing but black. These are square pins too so they make a better contact than the round ones.

#3466 4 years ago
Quoted from Andreas:

Display 3 and 4 is dead on my spidey. Recrimped connectors to board (Janin all in one). Tried with working displays without any luck. Payer 1 and 2 works fine and also creditdisplay. Where do I go from here? recrimp display connections? The look ok.

Swapped displays 1 and 2 with 3 and 4 already? Just to be sure? Or izzat what you mean by tries with working displays ?

#3467 4 years ago
Quoted from Andreas:

Was a pin in wronh place since before I got it

#3468 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Now available: Reproduction playfield windows for Bad Girls. Comes turnkey with new foam washers.
Mirror glass for under the window will be available shortly.[quoted image]

Received mine from JodyG yesterday, he did a fantastic job reproducing the playfield window and playfield mirror for Bad Girls, identical to the original. Very fortunate that these parts are now available especially since they’ve been out of circulation for years now. Included some pictures. Thanks again Jody!!

04B5D159-E780-4367-AFD5-B6B5CC900FB6 (resized).jpeg04B5D159-E780-4367-AFD5-B6B5CC900FB6 (resized).jpeg4DCBC366-D230-4B41-B0DC-38D33F7F054D (resized).jpeg4DCBC366-D230-4B41-B0DC-38D33F7F054D (resized).jpegB613FBEA-0E25-4CE6-9062-5A9862167904 (resized).jpegB613FBEA-0E25-4CE6-9062-5A9862167904 (resized).jpeg
#3469 4 years ago

Scratching my head on this...

I have a 1980 Gottlieb Amazing Spider-Man and am looking for side rails.

Checked PBR and Marco, nobody has these, no repros?

Side rails measure 3" W x 48.25" L (extends to 49.25")

any help is appreciated.

#3470 4 years ago

Anyone have a single System one or System 80 7 digit display for sale? Worse case just need the glass.

#3471 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Anyone have a single System one or System 80 6 digit display for sale? Worse case just need the glass.

Yes I do, but I think shipping to the USA would kill the deal. (35 euro)
Look on my wbesite and click on the Bridge Board image.
Goto the Parts section.

Peter
http://www.inkochnito.nl

#3472 4 years ago

I’m in the club, but accidentally.
I went to buy what I thought was a Williams Grand Prix EM (given the seller’s description of an, ‘old game with race cars on it) and walked into find a Victory. This game is super clean without any wear & I’ll be posting pictures later, but right now I need to order a new Swemer CPU as the battery destroyed it. This title looks fun as I always have enjoyed mini/raised playfields.
Oh ya...the seller begged me to take the taxidermy as she always found it spooky.

A1020C46-5ADD-48B4-B95B-CD9FB772DC8E (resized).jpegA1020C46-5ADD-48B4-B95B-CD9FB772DC8E (resized).jpeg
#3473 4 years ago

Anyone buying boards, don’t forget about pascals all-in-1 solution. Costs a bit more but replaces all/most the boards for sys80/80a and sys1

#3474 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Anyone buying boards, don’t forget about pascals all-in-1 solution. Costs a bit more but replaces all/most the boards for sys80/80a and sys1

I called them about 80B, what a shame they don’t make them yet.

#3475 4 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Pinsider Applejuice makes a replacement System 80B board.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mypinballs-new-system-80b-cpu-board

#3476 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Yes I do, but I think shipping to the USA would kill the deal. (35 euro)
Look on my wbesite and click on the Bridge Board image.
Goto the Parts section.
Peter
http://www.inkochnito.nl

Turns out I need a 7 digit actually.

#3477 4 years ago

If you are going to allentown, there is a vendor who sells them for $40.
What are the seven digit ones on?
I have some kicking around but i believe they are all 6s

#3478 4 years ago

Working on some new ramps for 80B fans! Diamond Lady on the left will be available in clear, red and smoked. On the right is the first of the three ramps in Victory. Same color options as Diamond Lady.

20200308_180740 (resized).jpg20200308_180740 (resized).jpg
#3479 4 years ago

Huh, never knew this, is this still going on? i have a list of bros here in Europe needing this one, but the thrad havent been updated in years, neither have his blog been since 2016 either.

#3480 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

If you are going to allentown, there is a vendor who sells them for $40.
What are the seven digit ones on?
I have some kicking around but i believe they are all 6s

Steve Young found one for me and I added it to my order this morning, woot!

#3481 4 years ago

How many times have we heard that, Steve to the rescue!

#3482 4 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Huh, never knew this, is this still going on? i have a list of bros here in Europe needing this one, but the thrad havent been updated in years, neither have his blog been since 2016 either.

He will respond within a day to pinmail. I have bought 2 boards in the past few months. He is still actively building and selling these.

#3483 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

How many times have we heard that, Steve to the rescue!

They are on Ebay for the same price but since I had an order to place with Steve anyway.. ching!

#3484 4 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

I’m in the club, but accidentally.
I went to buy what I thought was a Williams Grand Prix EM (given the seller’s description of an, ‘old game with race cars on it) and walked into find a Victory. This game is super clean without any wear & I’ll be posting pictures later, but right now I need to order a new Swemer CPU as the battery destroyed it. This title looks fun as I always have enjoyed mini/raised playfields.
Oh ya...the seller begged me to take the taxidermy as she always found it spooky.

Very cool! If you don't want that taxidermy please let me know. Would love to have it in my barn.

#3485 4 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Hopefully he is in development! I love the all in one solution, it really cleans things up and with the updated parts, brings some reliability. The cost...yaaa it is more but if you bought all new boards separate, uff you'd be at or above.

#3486 4 years ago

Just got a Solar Ride SS last week in decent player's condition. First machine. I know that System 1's can be a pain to work on, but it is such an experience to not have to go out to play pinball.

Side questions: Where is the volume knob on the sound board on this thing? Will anyone ever bother to reproduce the playfield for this game? I feel like the artwork is spectacular. Granted, the gameplay is one dimensional, but it is fun to rack up a huge bonus and cash it in.

#3487 4 years ago
Quoted from callmedoor:

Just got a Solar Ride SS last week in decent player's condition. First machine. I know that System 1's can be a pain to work on, but it is such an experience to not have to go out to play pinball.
Side questions: Where is the volume knob on the sound board on this thing? Will anyone ever bother to reproduce the playfield for this game? I feel like the artwork is spectacular. Granted, the gameplay is one dimensional, but it is fun to rack up a huge bonus and cash it in.

The sound board should be the same as on my Close Encounters. When you open the coin door the sound board should be mounted on the cabinet wall to your right. The volume control is a small flat horizontal disc that you can turn. Welcome to the club!

#3488 4 years ago
Quoted from SeymorGoldfarbJr:

He will respond within a day to pinmail. I have bought 2 boards in the past few months. He is still actively building and selling these.

Got a response from him, so now im gonna spread his info in Sweden, so other SYS80b badbros can get their stuff going aswell.

Anyway men, got my Hollywood Heat going again, it was a new ROM1 and resoldering on the piggybackboard that was needed, now its back to good old days again

Good tip for other bros in trouble with their SYS80b

#3489 4 years ago
Quoted from Gott1978:

The sound board should be the same as on my Close Encounters. When you open the coin door the sound board should be mounted on the cabinet wall to your right. The volume control is a small flat horizontal disc that you can turn. Welcome to the club!

Thanks! Some of this older tech is confusing me. I was looking for a more modern potentiometer and it is a flat blue saucer almost ha! I am enjoying working on the machine. I wish I knew more about electronics, but I think this might help me learn a bit.

#3490 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Working on some new ramps for 80B fans! Diamond Lady on the left will be available in clear, red and smoked. On the right is the first of the three ramps in Victory. Same color options as Diamond Lady.[quoted image]

Wow!! I'll take a ramp for Diamond Lady for sure! Absolutely love that pin. Now if only I could find some nos plastics so I can replace the yellowed ones on mine.

#3491 4 years ago

Are there any aftermarket system 80b sound boards available?

#3492 4 years ago
Quoted from cadmium:

Are there any aftermarket system 80b sound boards available?

Flipp sells their "Twister" sound board. Their website is inexplicably Not Safe For Work, but the products themselves are good: https://www.flipprojets.fr/AudioTwisterSound_EN.php

#3493 4 years ago

Need some help from the system 80b gurus. Need help understanding the switch matrix. I have a Monte Carlo showing 3 vertical columns closed when they are open. What ties the switches together vertically? Really want to get this playing 100%. Also, switch 65 which is the ball end trough fires none stop if you start a game. The columns showing closed are ending in 0, 1, and 3

#3494 4 years ago

Here is the matrix

AFCB5025-6B7E-4961-A6DD-BF957128DFFE (resized).jpegAFCB5025-6B7E-4961-A6DD-BF957128DFFE (resized).jpeg
#3495 4 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

Here is the matrix[quoted image]

You most likely have a burned out IC among Z11, Z12, Z13, Z14. I am thinking Z11, but I don't hve a manual in front of me. You can test by setting your meter to its diode setting and putting the red lead on the ground leg and then read each leg with the black probe. Open or dead short indicates a problem. These IC's kind of act like circuit breakers if you short something like a lamp to the switch matrix accidentally.

#3496 4 years ago

Awesome thank you I’ll do some checking today

#3497 4 years ago

So looks like z13 is bad and z11 has a questionable leg so will re place both. One has a 7400 in it the other has sn74ls04 in it. Assuming they are the same since pinout is the same? I have spare 7408 on hand. Would those work? What should I get?

#3498 4 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

So looks like z13 is bad and z11 has a questionable leg so will re place both. One has a 7400 in it the other has sn74ls04 in it. Assuming they are the same since pinout is the same? I have spare 7408 on hand. Would those work? What should I get?

I think two are 7400 series and two are 7404 series. Don't ask me what the difference is, but they are definitely different. Good news is, they are dirt cheap. I always keep a few on hand.

#3499 4 years ago

Looked up data sheet on 7400 and a 7408 so those don’t cross over. Looks like the 7404 is completely different. I have a local store that may have them so I’ll run by there in a few to see how much they’ll bend me over. I see they are cheap online but this place likes to up charge.

#3500 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Flipp sells their "Twister" sound board. Their website is inexplicably Not Safe For Work, but the products themselves are good: https://www.flipprojets.fr/AudioTwisterSound_EN.php

Unfortunately, it only supports just 3 early system 80b game.
I am more specifically looking for an MA-766 or aftermarket sound board.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/MA-766

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shakopee, MN
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

1,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, NY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Madison, WI
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

There are 6,542 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/70?hl=andreas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.