(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Sammer
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 69 of 131.
#3401 4 years ago

I will try that. Thanks

#3402 4 years ago

For those of you wanting to get rid of that nasty florescent tube in your 80B backboxes, this LED setup from Amazon looks great and is super easy to install. You'll need to open up the mounting holes for the tube mount slightly, but the stock bolt will go back in the stock hole for perfect spacing with the included mounts. I clipped the wire right after the plug and used the included wire nuts to connect. You want straight 110v, so get rid of the transformer and starter all together. The 6500k daylight deluxe version seems to make the translite less washed out than the original bulb.

The whole setup costs a whopping $12 shipped if you have Prime.

Link to LED tube: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XFG7RGQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_ECbqEb6TY9Z6M
20200209_092725 (resized).jpg20200209_092725 (resized).jpg20200209_092759 (resized).jpg20200209_092759 (resized).jpg

#3403 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

For those of you wanting to get rid of that nasty florescent tube in your 80B backboxes

Must’ve been reading my mind. I’ve been thinking about this lately. I can’t help but think that the UV produced from the florescent bulb is what contributes to a lot of the faded translites as well.

#3404 4 years ago

Question on setting a system 80 Black Hole to free play. I know of the jumper wire diode board solution, would it also work to solder one set of coin switch wires to the credit/start switch in the coin door? I’m rebuilding my coin door and was just wondering.

#3405 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Question on setting a system 80 Black Hole to free play. I know of the jumper wire diode board solution, would it also work to solder one set of coin switch wires to the credit/start switch in the coin door? I’m rebuilding my coin door and was just wondering.

Or just get the updated ROM:

https://www.flipprojets.fr/Blackhole_EN.php

"The BLACK HOLE (model #668) Pinball that we own has been improved and has now new functions. The main amendment carried out is the SYSTEM 80A translation, with replacement PROM U2 and U3 by a new single EEPROM and the rewiring of the displays.

Features of our Black Hole update:

Talking US version with animated backglass.
Display on 7 digits.
FREEPLAY.
Legacy of improvements of the SYSTEM 80A:
Quickstart (equivalent to the FASTBOOT).
Improved test mode & bookeeping.
New configuration of the DIP (moneyers...).
Limitation of the high-scores (overflow protection).
Deleting of the service printer."

#3406 4 years ago
Quoted from Raff:

Use a flat metal paint scraper put it between the cabinet and the rail and slowly wedge it up and down next to the nails you should see the nails move when you get a few mm get a pair of pincers and pull the spiral nails out.
Raff

Yeah i do the same when coating siderails, works on all machines

#3407 4 years ago

Does anyone have a name or source for the exact large/small springy wire loom hold downs in the 80b back boxes? I'm always breaking them when I have to take a backbox off.

#3408 4 years ago

The plastic ones? They're p clips

#3409 4 years ago
Quoted from psd4me:

The plastic ones? They're p clips

The regular P-clips have screw eyes on both ends and are thinner...I am looking for the open ended, thicker springy ones. But I think I tracked them down now.

Screenshot_20200210-193254_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200210-193254_Chrome (resized).jpg
#3410 4 years ago

IMG20200211142559 (resized).jpgIMG20200211142559 (resized).jpgIMG20200211142633 (resized).jpgIMG20200211142633 (resized).jpg

#3411 4 years ago
Quoted from Raff:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Those are not what Gottlieb used, although you could cut the second screw tab off.

#3412 4 years ago

Anybody have a spare A1J6 Connector housing that they're looking to sell? My OCD is kicking in and hating having a replacement.

Ty

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 3.14.44 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-02-13 at 3.14.44 PM (resized).png
#3413 4 years ago

Posted to the Black Hole Members Club, but figured I'd ask the larger Sys80 club....

Just joined the club, picked up a black hole yesterday....

Aside from a really intense shop job and a the typical ground mods, I do have 1 problem: although the machine I picked up has the spinning disk for the backglass with it, the entire motor assembly to make it spin is AWOL.

Sourcing a new motor, hub and hardware to rebuild the spinning disk motor assembly is easy enough. But the machine is also missing the simple one-piece motor mounting bracket that would allow me to attach the motor to the backbox lamp/board panel in the first place.

Anyone know if that bracket can be found anywhere, or does anyone happen to have a spare one they'd be willing to part with? Thanks for the help.

IMG_20200212_0001 (resized).jpegIMG_20200212_0001 (resized).jpeg
#3414 4 years ago

Check with PBR Steve had replacement motors I believe and he may also have the bracket. I would call directly and ask as he has many items not listed on his site.

#3415 4 years ago
Quoted from cmack750:

Posted to the Black Hole Members Club, but figured I'd ask the larger Sys80 club....
Just joined the club, picked up a black hole yesterday....
Aside from a really intense shop job and a the typical ground mods, I do have 1 problem: although the machine I picked up has the spinning disk for the backglass with it, the entire motor assembly to make it spin is AWOL.
Sourcing a new motor, hub and hardware to rebuild the spinning disk motor assembly is easy enough. But the machine is also missing the simple one-piece motor mounting bracket that would allow me to attach the motor to the backbox lamp/board panel in the first place.
Anyone know if that bracket can be found anywhere, or does anyone happen to have a spare one they'd be willing to part with? Thanks for the help.[quoted image]

Why not making one from scratch? You just need a sheet of metal and a driller...

#3416 4 years ago
Quoted from Leveeger:

Why not making one from scratch? You just need a sheet of metal and a driller...

Piece of flat stock from Home Depot and a drill, take a hot 10 minutes

#3417 4 years ago

Thanks. I realize building one isn't the most complicated thing, but considering I don't own a drill press, center punch, necessary sized bits, etc.... probably doesn't make sense. I'll reach out to Steve directly to see if he has any.

#3418 4 years ago

Hi guys,

Picked up a nice haunted house today

Noticed this issue with some cable in the head, any idea of how it should be?

20200215_214917 (resized).jpg20200215_214917 (resized).jpg
#3420 4 years ago

Looking for help with my Monte Carlo from the system 80b gurus. Any help is greatly appreciated

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-monte-carlo-freaking-out-help-please-

#3421 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Hi guys,
Picked up a nice haunted house today
Noticed this issue with some cable in the head, any idea of how it should be?[quoted image]

Additional question:
2 pop bumper fuses are burst as soon as the game is on; I assume their boards are dead?
Another one is not blowing the fuse but not reacting at all as well.
Fourth one has a seized coil but is registering

Sys80 bumper joy!

#3422 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Additional question:
2 pop bumper fuses are burst as soon as the game is on; I assume their boards are dead?
Another one is not blowing the fuse but not reacting at all as well.
Fourth one has a seized coil but is registering
Sys80 bumper joy!

Start with looking for bad joints on the popper board connections. Mine had a bunch & blown fuses and after repairing the joints the problem went away.

#3423 4 years ago

A couple of questions: I'm putting in a new translight in my Robo-War. It originally had... None, believe it or not. Just a piece of paper printed and literally taped to the glass that slides into the channel. It's missing all the trim. What kind of trim did gottlieb use for the System 80b translights? Also, what kind of lift channel did they use? I'd like to put together some parts, and I want to be prepared before sending in my email to pbresource.

Side note, anyone have a picture of the kind of locking mechanism gottlieb used for the "swing out" display panel? Again, mine is missing ALL the hardware, and I'm preparing to fabricate something if I can't find a drop-in replacement.

Thanks!

#3424 4 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

It's missing all the trim. What kind of trim did gottlieb use for the System 80b translights? Also, what kind of lift channel did they use? I'd like to put together some parts, and I want to be prepared before sending in my email to pbresource.

Steve did have the trim and channel at PBR but you'll have to contact them and see if it is still in stock. I bought four pieces of the trim from them just last year for my Circus.

#3425 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Steve did have the trim and channel at PBR but you'll have to contact them and see if it is still in stock.

Last I checked, a lot was out of stock. It doesn't have to be "the right" trim, just trim that works, honestly. I'll use generic stuff if I have to. I'm more concerned about the lift channel. I want to make sure the lift trim is deep enough.

#3426 4 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Last I checked, a lot was out of stock. It doesn't have to be "the right" trim, just trim that works, honestly. I'll use generic stuff if I have to. I'm more concerned about the lift channel.

It always says it's out of stock. Just call them or email them and they will tell you what hardware etc. you'll need. If you can't get the trim I'll look through my stuff and see what I have left and send it to you if needed. Do you just need the normal 3 pieces of trim? They do have to be cut down length wise unless you have ultra widebodies like mine then they're just a tiny bit short.

#3427 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Do you just need the normal 3 pieces of trim?

Yea, I just need the 3 pieces, and the lift channel piece that runs along the bottom. I appreciate you looking, I'll check with steve first, since I have to order a bunch of other stuff from him anyway.

#3428 4 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Yea, I just need the 3 pieces, and the lift channel piece that runs along the bottom. I appreciate you looking, I'll check with steve first, since I have to order a bunch of other stuff from him anyway.

Okay but if you need it I only have 2 pieces left, so after you check with PBR let me know if you need it. Surely someone would come off the other piece. The lift channel may be a problem I don't know.

#3429 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Okay but if you need it I only have 2 pieces left, so after you check with PBR let me know if you need it.

Thanks again! I'll definitely let you know. Worst case scenario, I'll be attending a TON of pinball shows this spring, and I'll be bound to find what I need there if need be. No worries there.

Now, the lock situation is a different story... If anyone has any methods as to what they use to replace the locks on this style of backbox, I'd love to see it. I've tried a few of mine, and I haven't been able to get any of them to work properly.

#3430 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Start with looking for bad joints on the popper board connections. Mine had a bunch & blown fuses and after repairing the joints the problem went away.

All checked, all soldering reflowed, same behaviour

#3431 4 years ago

I have bought the lift channel at allentown.

#3432 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

All checked, all soldering reflowed, same behaviour

Check the Pinwiki for details of upgrades and repairs to the pop bumper driver boards.

#3433 4 years ago
Quoted from Andy_B:

Check the Pinwiki for details of upgrades and repairs to the pop bumper driver boards.

Unplugged the boards, does it still pop fuses?

#3434 4 years ago

Since I found a source for all the sizes of these wire harness straps, I am offering pinsiders the ability to buy a set of these that will cover your entire back box with a couple spares. I am waiting for the smallest size yet, then they will be available to ship Monday. $10 for a 14 piece set plus $3 for first class shipping.

20200220_194100 (resized).jpg20200220_194100 (resized).jpg
#3435 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Unplugged the boards, does it still pop fuses?

Nope, it does not.

#3436 4 years ago

System 80 popbumper boards are getting their +5V supply voltage from the switch matrix connector J6 at the CPU board. If this connector is damaged -often by a leaking battery- the popbumper boards will behave in a weird way - retracting the coils for example when powering up.

#3437 4 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

System 80 popbumper boards are getting their +5V supply voltage from the switch matrix connector J6 at the CPU board. If this connector is damaged -often by a leaking battery- the popbumper boards will behave in a weird way - retracting the coils for example when powering up.

Thanks, will definitely check that!

#3438 4 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

So, J6 was fine, except for the weird wiring in the pic a few posts above.
Your post motivated me to dive into the schematics and correct the wiring for both J6 & J5 => have 3 bumpers back to life !!
Now only have the upper playfield bumper missing. Maybe this one really has a dead board ? Will try to identify which board it is and test with one of the others

#3439 4 years ago

I had no idea these were a thing until recently, but damn they are nice to have.

20200223_140917 (resized).jpg20200223_140917 (resized).jpg
#3440 4 years ago

Missed one.

IMG_20200223_111947 (resized).jpgIMG_20200223_111947 (resized).jpg
#3441 4 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

Missed one.[quoted image]

I'm not a big pre-80B guy, but if I do find one to own...I'll definitely get that one too!

#3442 4 years ago

Anyone have a SC01 chip laying around, or sitting on a spare board in the closet?

SOLD!
Parts - Wanted
Wanted! - “Looking for a System 80/80A SC01 chip for my Devil’s Dare if anybody can help. Goes in the U-14 socket on the Sound/Speech board. I’d like to hear some speech on this thing! ...”
2020-02-24
Langhorne, PA
Wanted
Archived after: 5 days
Viewed: 324 times

#3443 4 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Anyone have a SC01 chip laying around, or sitting on a spare board in the closet?

http://www.gameroomrepair.com/ICparts/ICparts.htm#SC01A

#3445 4 years ago

They come up for sale on the board here time to time.

#3446 4 years ago

Genesis and Monte Carlo owners- Do you know if your playfield windows bolt entirely through the playfield (attach with a nut on the bottom), or do they use wood screws into the wood? I am wondering if I can make playfield windows for those games that will not have the exposed flat heads on them, the same way they did Bad Girls and Teed off? I am guessing Monte Carlo has the same size window as Teed Off since it is the same mech.

#3447 4 years ago

Might be better off buying the whole board off CL if the above $135.00 is the only option.

#3448 4 years ago

Thanks for the link. Well now it’s obvious why somebody pried it off the board before my buddy bought it, and then trickled the board down to me.

#3449 4 years ago

Would highly recommend just buying a new S/S Board from Fred Swemmer. I just purchased one for my Black Hole, and it truly is a nice piece of work.

#3450 4 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Would highly recommend just buying a new S/S Board from Fred Swemmer. I just purchased one for my Black Hole, and it truly is a nice piece of work.

Yeah, probably just should’ve went that route in the first place. Already dumped $100 on this board.

I had Swemmer boards in my HH, and they were great. Although there was an issue with a few solenoids from his driver board. Original board fixed the problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hickory, NC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Sturgeon Bay, WI
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 6,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 69 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.