(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,542 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by bajm
  • Topic is favorited by 323 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,542 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 131.
#3351 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

My GW in mid rebuild a couple years ago. Probably my favorite 80B at this point. This was before I started making the ramps for it...my original was actually pretty decent.[quoted image]

wow,where did you get the purple rubber kit?

#3352 4 years ago

Posted in the what did you bring home thread, but thought I'd throw it here too. Just "finished" the Alien Star I built from a mostly populated playfield I bought a year ago from toddtuckey . Loving this machine. More pics and details here -> https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-machine-did-you-bring-home-today-post-your-pictures/page/295#post-5428865

IMG_20190113_160630 (resized).jpgIMG_20190113_160630 (resized).jpgIMG_20200123_063358 (resized).jpgIMG_20200123_063358 (resized).jpg
#3353 4 years ago

Saw those pics, you did one hell of a job, actually one of the best I've seen on here over the years.

#3354 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Saw those pics, you did one hell of a job, actually one of the best I've seen on here over the years.

Thanks, I appreciate it, I definitely enjoyed doing it and got to learn a lot of new things.

I need to remember to put a note in the head that the cabinet and backbox wiring harnesses are from an Ice Fever, so not everything is the same, most of it is, but a few color differences in the wires mainly in the backbox as Ice Fever had extras that AS doesn't.

#3355 4 years ago
Quoted from pinostalgia:

wow,where did you get the purple rubber kit?

These are Titan rubber rings that can be ordered in a multitude of colors. I usually add them to all my machines. Hollywood Heat looks awesome with a mix of purple, pink and teal!

#3356 4 years ago

I have to replace the end piece that holds the fluorescent light in the back box. What's the purpose of the grounding strap that runs from one end of the light to the other? It's not grounding the light. Is it just a convenient spot to run ground mods to?

#3357 4 years ago

There are two cab speakers in my Volcano. Is this factory?

Why bother replacing the line filter when you can add one that could filter the output of the sun and hack the tranformer wiring?

20200102_112404 (resized).jpg20200102_112404 (resized).jpg
#3358 4 years ago

Just checked the manual and yes it is factory

#3359 4 years ago

I am trying to wire the transformers with the original wiring rather than the hack it came with.

Could someone confirm that they are wired correctly for 240v? The common connections seem to be a bit different than on the schematic.

Thanks

20200125_144414 (resized).jpg20200125_144414 (resized).jpg
#3360 4 years ago

Having an intermittent issue with my TX Sector.

The culprit is the single drop in front of the left ramp. Once in a while the drop target will not reset when down. In switch test, you can hear the slight buzz - seems like it doesn’t have enough umph to reset.

Ground mods have been done. I’m leaning more towards a issue with one of the connectors under the play field (possibly from the diode board).

Anybody else have any ideas?

#3361 4 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

Having an intermittent issue with my TX Sector.
The culprit is the single drop in front of the left ramp. Once in a while the drop target will not reset when down. In switch test, you can hear the slight buzz - seems like it doesn’t have enough umph to reset.
Ground mods have been done. I’m leaning more towards a issue with one of the connectors under the play field (possibly from the diode board).
Anybody else have any ideas?

I suppose first check continuity of both lines from the coil lug to the board. Then you can check voltage at the coil, but I think you may need to unsolder the line? I forgot how that test goes

#3362 4 years ago

Not sure how long these have bene posted (they were out of stock for the longest time) but the edge connectors for the double sided sys80 connectors are in stock at Marco.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/08-03-0304

$0.39 a piece.... but they are harder and harder to find these days.

#3363 4 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Not sure how long these have bene posted (they were out of stock for the longest time) but the edge connectors for the double sided sys80 connectors are in stock at Marco.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/08-03-0304
$0.39 a piece.... but they are harder and harder to find these days.

I was getting mine at GPE and/or big daddy enterprises, didn’t realize Marco had them!

#3364 4 years ago

Anyone here know how many pages an original Volcano manual have? A friend of mine is asking since his manual seems to be missing pages since it only have 18 but some "parts lists" on page 15 lists more stuff then he have.

#3365 4 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Anyone here know how many pages an original Volcano manual have? A friend of mine is asking since his manual seems to be missing pages since it only have 18 but some "parts lists" on page 15 lists more stuff then he have.

If it is the pdf file, it is the same as I have.
Your are missing the schematics, as do I.
When you look at page 15 you will see it goes up to page 40.
You can always use the generic schematics from other System-80 files.
If someone is willing to share the full version, please send me a copy too.

#3366 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

If it is the pdf file, it is the same as I have.
Your are missing the schematics, as do I.
When you look at page 15 you will see it goes up to page 40.
You can always use the generic schematics from other System-80 files.
If someone is willing to share the full version, please send me a copy too.

Dunno if its from a PDF since its a printed out version, but i kinda bet it is since it only goes to 18 LOL

#3367 4 years ago

Anybody know the name of this little insulating piece on the driver board of System 80 boards is called? Can't seem to find the right set of words into a search engine to pull up a replacement part.

Still grabbed from Clays video. If you haven't bought his TOP video for HH and Black Hole, you should RIGHT NOW.

Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 8.54.26 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-01-31 at 8.54.26 AM (resized).png
#3368 4 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Anybody know the name of this little insulating piece on the driver board of System 80 boards is called? Can't seem to find the right set of words into a search engine to pull up a replacement part.
Still grabbed from Clays video. If you haven't bought his TOP video for HH and Black Hole, you should RIGHT NOW.[quoted image]

Try High Power Transistor Washer Bushing spacer

Bushings are probably what you can use, that gave me the most image hits. The picture you have is really just two bushings attached. Just making sure the leads don't touch the heat sink metal.

I needed to replace mine in my Spidey... I think they usually provide them with the Transistor and heat sink insulator. There should have been one on the board you're replacing it on? I kinda deja vu about that part, but don't recall if I was able to reuse the original one, or used separate bushings.

#3369 4 years ago

usually something like this...

pix (resized).jpgpix (resized).jpg
#3370 4 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Still grabbed from Clays video. If you haven't bought his TOP video for HH and Black Hole, you should RIGHT NOW.[quoted image]

Try this:

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=18PTI1HDWOB

#3371 4 years ago

Hey guys. I'm not very good at pinball maintenance and refurbishing. But, I finally got my lazy butt in gear and got my Night Moves up and running pretty dang good.
Next up on my list is my Sinbad solid state. So I ordered new rubbers as the ones are super old on my machine. The plastics are in good shape, but I did order a few new lane guides or whatever are the plastics for those.

My question though is about the post caps and screws that hold the posts and plastics into place. Can I replace those with something nicer to look at? And if so any suggestions on what to use. I replaced all the stupid post caps on my Night Moves with the post cabs that Titan pinball sells. Not sure what would work for this game though.

And also I've been having some issues that are sporadic with the drops for my game. Most of the time they work really well. And that is saying something for a 40 year old game. But, I really would like to get them fixed so no more sticking. Sometimes when I hit them, they don't go down. They stay up and really rigid. Sometimes they'll then start to slowly slide down, and then finally get sprung near the bottom and snap all the way down. They reset no problem and sometimes they start back to work normal like how they should...
Watched a few videos on what to do... I don't mind taking it apart to clean. But, I figure I probably should replace the springs... And I have no idea where to buy new springs for them. The drop tartgets themselves are in good shape, but if I'm taking apart. I might as well replace them.

Then I got a question about the spinner. It spins decent. But, I think it can be juicer. Any tips on how I can get that working better. Haven't watched any videos on that yet. But, any suggestions would be warranted and welcome. I figure I'd need to take that apart too and clean.

And really the only bummer besides the beaten up and faded cab(its still in good and sturdy though) is my playfield has a bit of wear and few grooves in it. I was originally going to try to repair this. Or maybe even get a new playfield and swap it out.... But... No... I think I rather just get the drops behaving normal again. Get the spinner nice and juiced. And replace the rubbers on this. And that will be more than enough to have lots and lots of fun on. Eventually maybe... Down the road I'll replace the playfield and repaint(I want to do a custom vinyl) the cab.

Really would appreciate all your wisdom and pointers. As I really don't know anything about these topics or what I should buy. Thanks.

#3372 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

And also I've been having some issues that are sporadic with the drops for my game. Most of the time they work really well. And that is saying something for a 40 year old game. But, I really would like to get them fixed so no more sticking. Sometimes when I hit them, they don't go down. They stay up and really rigid. Sometimes they'll then start to slowly slide down, and then finally get sprung near the bottom and snap all the way down. They reset no problem and sometimes they start back to work normal like how they should...

Take the target bank apart and clean every drop target.
Grease is your problem.

Quoted from Diospinball:

Then I got a question about the spinner. It spins decent. But, I think it can be juicer. Any tips on how I can get that working better.

I always use a little teflon spray on a q-tip. It makes the plastic spinner turn easy in the metal ring.

Peter

#3373 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

My question though is about the post caps and screws that hold the posts and plastics into place. Can I replace those with something nicer to look at? And if so any suggestions on what to use.

On my ASM I replaced all my metal acorn nuts with white rubber barrels (but saved to originals for the die hards). For the ones that were just screws I got some white plastic screw covers at the local hardware store. Two pieces... you need to remove the screw and put the bottom half under the head, then snap on the top piece. Really happy with the results.

IMG_2069 (resized).JPGIMG_2069 (resized).JPGIMG_2070 (resized).JPGIMG_2070 (resized).JPGIMG_2071 (resized).JPGIMG_2071 (resized).JPGIMG_2072 (resized).JPGIMG_2072 (resized).JPGIMG_2073 (resized).JPGIMG_2073 (resized).JPG
#3374 4 years ago

I just listed a rare Q*Bert in the marketplace in anyone's interested.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/91283

#3375 4 years ago
Quoted from srcdube:

On my ASM I replaced all my metal acorn nuts with white rubber barrels (but saved to originals for the die hards). For the ones that were just screws I got some white plastic screw covers at the local hardware store. Two pieces... you need to remove the screw and put the bottom half under the head, then snap on the top piece. Really happy with the results.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for the tips. And whoops for my Night Moves I just threw out the acorn nuts. But, I really don't have a desire to sell that machine. Nor my sinbad. I was thinking about keeping them as backups... But, really since I need a palnut removal tool for them. I don't think I'd ever put them back on.
The white looks nice.
That could look nice on my sinbad. Might go with white, yellow, or possibly red.

#3376 4 years ago

Picked this one up from Rob Berk today...I've been hoping to add one of these to my collection for some time now. One of the more underrated 80B games out there, IMO. I'll eventually remake the ramps, but not for a while.

20200202_095651 (resized).jpg20200202_095651 (resized).jpg
#3377 4 years ago

Nice find. Victory is a great shooters game. Kinda reminds me of White Water, where you have to make your way "through the race" instead of "down the river." Fun progressive rules.

#3378 4 years ago

I understand they had two playfields for Victory....this one has what appears to be the "stick on" style that resembles printed mylar, and it has really held up well with great shine left in it. Did any other Gottliebs have this treatment? Why did they get away from that?

#3379 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Did any other Gottliebs have this treatment?

I'm almost certain you're referring to the "vitrigraph" playfields. TX-Sector had a run of playfields with that as well with different artwork, and Diamond Lady used it. I think I recall hearing a Trudeau interview someplace that it was a cost saving measure? I'm not entirely sure. But it reminds me of what Hardtop is doing now. Almost the same thing. If it's anything like the new hardtops, that should be a good indication that hardtops will wear far better than standard playfields do.

#3380 4 years ago

Not an 80b question but a general gottleib question. Been heavy playing my Hollywood heat that the lane guide mount broke on the right side by the flipper. Took a pic of left side still in tact.

Is this available separate? Trying to find part number for it to order. The manual for hh does not show that part/part number.

Same bracket is on raven's upper guide as well. Raven manual doesn't show it either.

Thank you in advance

20200203_185841 (resized).jpg20200203_185841 (resized).jpg
#3381 4 years ago
Quoted from Mtkst19:

Not an 80b question but a general gottleib question. Been heavy playing my Hollywood heat that the lane guide mount broke on the right side by the flipper. Took a pic of left side still in tact.
Is this available separate? Trying to find part number for it to order. The manual for hh does not show that part/part number.
Same bracket is on raven's upper guide as well. Raven manual doesn't show it either.
Thank you in advance[quoted image]

You may be able to get a piece of sheet metal and make your own with a Dremel and a pair of pliers for bending. I am not aware of a source for them.

#3382 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

You may be able to get a piece of sheet metal and make your own with a Dremel and a pair of pliers for bending. I am not aware of a source for them.

Pinball Resource has the brackets. They seem to be made from a different metal. They don't polish as well as the OEM's.

#3383 4 years ago

Thanks for the insight and prompt replies. I'll reach out to pbr if my local option falls through. Think a friend has some parts playfields that I may be able to salvage something from. Worse case I can spot weld something to work.

#3384 4 years ago

In case the above might help someone else out- name for that bracket is Flat Rail Clip. Part number is 22277.

#3385 4 years ago

Came across some NOS plastics for my Gold Wings that look amazing. Also drilled out the hole under the left plastic cloud and add GI. Definitely breathed some life into this machine!

68CFCF6F-51FC-4087-9D70-4E9611E59E71 (resized).jpeg68CFCF6F-51FC-4087-9D70-4E9611E59E71 (resized).jpeg75FB4E56-C0F4-47D0-9C46-2ABBCC807787 (resized).jpeg75FB4E56-C0F4-47D0-9C46-2ABBCC807787 (resized).jpegE43320D2-8805-42A0-9FA8-B4F3389F2C0A (resized).jpegE43320D2-8805-42A0-9FA8-B4F3389F2C0A (resized).jpeg3FD28ED5-22B1-47FE-B40B-BCC6DD7E0B10 (resized).jpeg3FD28ED5-22B1-47FE-B40B-BCC6DD7E0B10 (resized).jpegC5A7B18C-6E7F-4987-AE23-A1CF213FC81D (resized).jpegC5A7B18C-6E7F-4987-AE23-A1CF213FC81D (resized).jpegDC3436A1-CC72-4E29-9025-6C10ACB71D38 (resized).jpegDC3436A1-CC72-4E29-9025-6C10ACB71D38 (resized).jpeg1E2C4F0B-D82B-4D68-9D5D-78618809C57C (resized).jpeg1E2C4F0B-D82B-4D68-9D5D-78618809C57C (resized).jpeg
#3386 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Came across some NOS plastics for my Gold Wings that look amazing. Also drilled out the hole under the left plastic cloud and add GI. Definitely breathed some life into this machine![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great!! Where did you get them? I may be getting one but the plastics are super faded.

#3387 4 years ago
Quoted from Oldschool77:

Looks great!! Where did you get them? I may be getting one but the plastics are super faded.

PiNDoCToR had them posted in the market for a few days, honestly i was surprised they were still available when I messaged him about them.

#3388 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Came across some NOS plastics for my Gold Wings that look amazing. Also drilled out the hole under the left plastic cloud and add GI. Definitely breathed some life into this machine![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah im planning to add those missing bulbs aswell, its such a dark playfield without them LOL

#3389 4 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Yeah im planning to add those missing bulbs aswell, its such a dark playfield without them LOL

I used the tower LEDs in the GI and added 3 spot lights, major help. There are some places I would eventually like to use the post lights that Comet sells.

#3390 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I used the tower LEDs in the GI and added 3 spot lights, major help. There are some places I would eventually like to use the post lights that Comet sells.

I was thinking of hiding some spotlights under the plastics somehow, but im just finishing repainting the playfield, yet to fix the matrix issue. So its abit to go before i get to light it up LOL
IMG_20200205_221227 (resized).jpgIMG_20200205_221227 (resized).jpg

#3391 4 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

I was thinking of hiding some spotlights under the plastics somehow, but im just finishing repainting the playfield, yet to fix the matrix issue. So its abit to go before i get to light it up LOL
[quoted image]

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gold-wings-plastics-#post-5099599

I made these waterslide decals, might help with your touch ups

#3392 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gold-wings-plastics-#post-5099599
I made these waterslide decals, might help with your touch ups

Aw man, now you show me this, LOL i already did the lettering.

also this isnt "touch-up", its a total repaint, this pupper was ground down to the wood.

#3393 4 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Aw man, now you show me this, LOL i already did the lettering.
also this isnt "touch-up", its a total repaint, this pupper was ground down to the wood.

Before and after images? Would like to see if you have them.
And I only played Gold Wings once, but I was surprised at how good it was. It was fun and unique. But, then again considering the designer that isn't too much of a shock.

#3394 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

On the two lower loops, I added some small "bendy" LED's to light them up from under the plastics. I drilled 1/8" holes in the metal loop away from where the ball would rub them. The result is a nicely lit loop...but it pretty much became a moot point once I added siderail lights.

20200205_201016 (resized).jpg20200205_201016 (resized).jpg20200205_201048 (resized).jpg20200205_201048 (resized).jpg20200205_201149 (resized).jpg20200205_201149 (resized).jpg20200205_201500 (resized).jpg20200205_201500 (resized).jpg
#3395 4 years ago

That’s an awesome idea so the light shines through the metal into the loops. Nice mod man!

#3396 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Before and after images? Would like to see if you have them.
And I only played Gold Wings once, but I was surprised at how good it was. It was fun and unique. But, then again considering the designer that isn't too much of a shock.

I only have this one, i think its about a day into the repaint, so alot of the wood isnt showing anymore, like on the shields

IMG_20191102_132546 (resized).jpgIMG_20191102_132546 (resized).jpg
#3397 4 years ago

I would like to join your club...just bought a Sinbad! I had one about 5 years ago and regretted selling it.

IMG_20200201_205048 (resized).jpgIMG_20200201_205048 (resized).jpg
#3398 4 years ago

Hi i have started a thread for help on a solar ride machine if anyone can help out would be nice.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-solar-rider-system-1-fault-with-specials#post-5455454.
Thanks Raff

#3399 4 years ago

Anyone have any tips on removing the nails that hold the side rails on? I need to either paint them or have them powdercoated.

#3400 4 years ago

Use a flat metal paint scraper put it between the cabinet and the rail and slowly wedge it up and down next to the nails you should see the nails move when you get a few mm get a pair of pincers and pull the spiral nails out.
Raff

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7.50
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodhaven, MI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hickory, NC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington Township, NJ
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
There are 6,542 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/68?hl=srcdube and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.