(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,539 posts
  • 650 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 36 hours ago by bajm
  • Topic is favorited by 322 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg
IMG_5720(1) (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,539 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 131.
#3051 4 years ago

Check your header pins for cracks and reflow them as a start. Also use a pencil eraser and clean all the card edges and reset before you power it back up after reflowing.

#3052 4 years ago

Question:
I found these switches on my system 80A sound board, and am not sure how they should be set. Should they both be pressed towards 1 & 2, should they be pressed towards open, should only one be open, or ?
I currently have no sounds or music so that’s why I’m asking if the switches are correct.
Thanks!

8C24CBA3-99EB-4044-8BDC-04768106F85F (resized).jpeg8C24CBA3-99EB-4044-8BDC-04768106F85F (resized).jpeg

91163F11-4B76-4787-9EA6-3772A5AE801B (resized).jpeg91163F11-4B76-4787-9EA6-3772A5AE801B (resized).jpeg

#3053 4 years ago

So bros, men, the ROMs on Gottlieb sys80b (Hot shots), are they easily found (and what number do they have other then just 2764? all i can find in the manual) brand new?

#3054 4 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

So bros, men, the ROMs on Gottlieb sys80b (Hot shots), are they easily found (and what number do they have other then just 2764? all i can find in the manual) brand new?

Search for arcade emulator sites.

#3055 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Search for arcade emulator sites.

Ah, i already have the files, i meant the chip itself.

#3056 4 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Ah, i already have the files, i meant the chip itself.

Oh, the EPROMS themselves!

Odds are no, anything you find now will be pulls being that old.

You need 2764? I might just have a new stick on the shelf. LMK how many you need.

#3057 4 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Question:
I found these switches on my system 80A sound board, and am not sure how they should be set. Should they both be pressed towards 1 & 2, should they be pressed towards open, should only one be open, or ?
I currently have no sounds or music so that’s why I’m asking if the switches are correct.
Thanks!

If you are unsure wheather they are on or off, check them with a DMM.
Here are the settings for the switches...
Gottlieb_sound (resized).jpgGottlieb_sound (resized).jpg

I also found this setting for older sound boards....

Gottlieb_sound_80 (resized).jpgGottlieb_sound_80 (resized).jpg
#3058 4 years ago

I picked up a pretty nice Victory from a friend of mine, but it is missing a few vital parts. So I’m hoping someone had a parts playfield laying around that I could get the following parts from:
1. The right hand wire form, along with the ball stop at the return lane
2. Both right and left lamp chaser boards.
Thanks,

#3059 4 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

I fried the MPU on my System 80B the other day and figured I'd post about it here to keep others from doing the same thing I was waxing and working on the game with the power on (lightbulbs, etc.) and the board died. So eventually I figure out the U4 RIOT is fried, as are Z13 and Z14. I'm still working on fixing that.
So what happened? I eventually figured out what I did. I had removed all three flipper bats (got new shoes) and turned the game on with the bats removed. This is a Bad Girls... the right flipper on the top has a lane change switch on it. By removing the bats, but not the pawls, the spring on the pawl was holding it against the end of stroke switch... and the metal pawl was also touching the lane change switch just next to it. It was fine for a couple minutes but either by touching just right or by continuous 27 volts to the switch strobe... it eventually burnt through z14 and fried U4!
So. Moral of the story, if you're working on it with the game on don't do it if you've removed the bats and left the Pawls in!

I was able to fix this by using Marco's great test rom. It confirmed everything was working and helped me find a bad trace I had messed up when I socketed U4, if you have a bad System 80 board his Rom test is EXTENSIVE.... on an 80B too you can just pop it right in the socket.

#3060 4 years ago
Quoted from robm:

Anything else you guys suggest?

Original power supply? Time for a rebuild.

Quoted from RWH:

Check your header pins for cracks and reflow them

Great suggestion as well.

#3061 4 years ago

Just a reminder to system 80 owners.
Yesterday the coil that ejects the captive ball on my robowar was not energizing. In test mode everything else was ok except that one. It is solenoid number 3. The coil tested good with a multimeter. I was going to start checking transistors and MPU but before that ,I just cleaned and reattached the connector on the A16 transistor driver board. Everything works fine now.
Usually the solution to a problem with system 80 boards is a connector not making good contact.

#3062 4 years ago

Fyi Docent just scammed me too. 100 bucks for 2 80B connector kits and 1 system 1. Can’t get a hold of them or a response.

#3063 4 years ago
Quoted from Zorak:

Fyi Docent just scammed me too. 100 bucks for 2 80B connector kits and 1 system 1. Can’t get a hold of them or a response.

I had no luck getting in touch with Docent after they collected my payment. Shady, shady

#3064 4 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

I had no luck getting in touch with Docent after they collected my payment. Shady, shady

Isn't the owner in/out of the hospital - per the July 2019 notice on the front web page. Or has their been considerable amount of time lapse with your orders?

Am just curious. Thanks.

WP

#3065 4 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyPinball:

Isn't the owner in/out of the hospital - per the July 2019 notice on the front web page. Or has their been considerable amount of time lapse with your orders?
Am just curious. Thanks.
WP

I didn't see any notice on the website. I had placed an order maybe in March/April, waited a few weeks, no word...called, emailed, called, asked PayPal to step in...and that was it. Docent never responded to any of my calls or emails. Still have not heard from them to this date.

#3066 4 years ago

Sucks. Sorry to hear that.

#3067 4 years ago

Got a bunch of boards you guys might be interested in...

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/82339

#3068 4 years ago

I noticed today that there were two different versions of the Victory playfield produced. One with the car on the flag background in the middle of the playfield, and one without. Anyone know why this was done? I noticed all of the extra NOS playfields that are floating around are the version without the car in the middle.

victory pf1 (resized).jpgvictory pf1 (resized).jpgvictory pf2 (resized).jpgvictory pf2 (resized).jpg
#3069 4 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I noticed today that there were two different versions of the Victory playfield produced. One with the car on the flag background in the middle of the playfield, and one without. Anyone know why this was done? I noticed all of the extra NOS playfields that are floating around are the version without the car in the middle.[quoted image][quoted image]

One is what they called a vitrigraph and one is silk screened.
My Diamond Lady has a vitrigraph basically a mylar with artwork on bare plywood.

IMG_8503 (resized).JPGIMG_8503 (resized).JPG

#3070 4 years ago

I have a Diamond Lady that i put all new boards in including sund board, but I am getting no sound only a hum from the speakers. I even replaced the speakers with new ones.

Any idea what could be wrong or where to start tracking down the problem?

#3071 4 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

I have a Diamond Lady that i put all new boards in including sund board, but I am getting no sound only a hum from the speakers. I even replaced the speakers with new ones.
Any idea what could be wrong or where to start tracking down the problem?

Have you verified you have exactly 5V (or a little over) on the mpu? If you're not, you can have sound issues. I know because I just had the problem on an 80b game. I was getting 6.5v and the pot on the power supply was not functioning at all. Put a new one in and the sound works perfectly now.

#3072 4 years ago

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread or not for SYS80B game parts; if not please point me in the right direction

In transitioning from EM to SS games, my first acquisition was a Gottlieb Monte Carlo. Everything was in surprising good condition except for the Stargate Ramp's plunger / coil assembly. The thing was fried, and the plunger has been permanently bonded to the melted coil sleeve; it is simply not coming out.

Unfortunately, with this being my first SS machine, as well as my first Gottlieb, I do not have a bunch of spare parts lying around to fix this issue, therefore I'm wondering if anyone has (or knows where I can get) the following highlighted parts:

StargateRampMissingParts (resized).jpgStargateRampMissingParts (resized).jpg

Again, if this request should be made in a different thread, just let me know.

Thanks in advance!!

#3073 4 years ago

pbresource.com is the go to place for Gottlieb parts. I find e-mail works great.

#3074 4 years ago

Make sure you have your part numbers before you contact Steve. He can be quite grumpy but does provide great service and is virtually the only source for Gottlieb parts

#3075 4 years ago

Not an obvious modification to the naked eye but a pleasant one none the less. When I picked up my Gold Wings it had the "popular" short leg/long leg modification which I abhor. The manual states 5.5 to 6 degrees, which is a fine suggestion. I had to crank up the front levelers just to get it in the ball park which made a tall machine even taller.

So yesterday while pushing pins around I freed up some time to take the generic black legs that were on GW, run them through the chop saw, fired up the welder and made them all an equal 26" as you can see in the picture. The flipper buttons are now at the same height as the Williams Touchdown right next to it and I can see more of the playfield.

Little gold paint and all is good.
20190728_053117_resized (resized).jpg20190728_053117_resized (resized).jpg

#3076 4 years ago

Howdy,
I recently picked up a Volcano that requires quite a bit of resto works.
The double back-glass on mine is almost non existent. Could I trouble someone who has access to one for a couple of hires photos of the BG panels so I can look into replacing them.
Can't wait to get it going and have a flip, the pops above the slings look like a challenge to me.

Cheers

#3077 4 years ago

Hi all,
Just wondering if any of you Monte Carlo owners could help me out. Working on one with the two 67 flashers on the sides of the roulette wheel are lock on. For some reason I am having a terrible time deciphering the manual and can't figure out which transistor controls them. They have the main driver board and two aux driver boards. If someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it
Thanks

#3078 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Not an obvious modification to the naked eye but a pleasant one none the less. When I picked up my Gold Wings it had the "popular" short leg/long leg modification which I abhor. The manual states 5.5 to 6 degrees, which is a fine suggestion. I had to crank up the front levelers just to get it in the ball park which made a tall machine even taller.
So yesterday while pushing pins around I freed up some time to take the generic black legs that were on GW, run them through the chop saw, fired up the welder and made them all an equal 26" as you can see in the picture. The flipper buttons are now at the same height as the Williams Touchdown right next to it and I can see more of the playfield.
Little gold paint and all is good.
[quoted image]

Any chance you have an extra speaker panel for Gold Wings? I've been looking for one for a bit now.

#3079 4 years ago

Anyone need any playfield parts or playfield from a volcano. Just got done swapping my playfield out. I now have my old one it is in decent shape but has ware around inserts and up by top flipper. No plastics

#3080 4 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

Hi all,
Just wondering if any of you Monte Carlo owners could help me out. Working on one with the two 67 flashers on the sides of the roulette wheel are lock on. For some reason I am having a terrible time deciphering the manual and can't figure out which transistor controls them. They have the main driver board and two aux driver boards. If someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it
Thanks

I assume you mean lamp #17.
These lamps are driven via an aux. transistor board.
I've posted an image from Diamond Lady, which has a 3 driver board, because the ipdb doesn't show them.
I assume the aux. driver board is mounted under the playfield.
Yours should have 4 transistors.
Q4 may be bad.

Peter

MC_playfield (resized).jpgMC_playfield (resized).jpgDriverboard_schematic (resized).jpgDriverboard_schematic (resized).jpgDriverboard (resized).jpgDriverboard (resized).jpg
#3081 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin-up:

Any chance you have an extra speaker panel for Gold Wings? I've been looking for one for a bit now.

I have a Hollywood Heat one on mine, though I'm toying with making one from scratch. With a laser printer and water slide decals could come up with something pretty cool.

#3082 4 years ago

Expanding on Inkochnito's screenshot from the Monte Carlo Manual....

A13 Resistor Board Usage (resized).jpgA13 Resistor Board Usage (resized).jpg

.....does that map over to the following.....

A11_Driver_Board (resized).jpgA11_Driver_Board (resized).jpg

If so, are we referring to the Auxiliary Lamp Driver Board (A11)? I believe that this is the board that is located under the playfield to the right of the Resistor Board (A13) that contains the 4 resistors that are used for the 4 pairs of #67 Lamps:

IMG_20190802_060319 (resized).jpgIMG_20190802_060319 (resized).jpg

Am I correct in my assumptions?

#3083 4 years ago
Quoted from dfrazer:

Expanding on Inkochnito's screenshot from the Monte Carlo Manual....
[quoted image]
.....does that map over to the following.....
[quoted image]
If so, are we referring to the Auxiliary Lamp Driver Board (A11)? I believe that this is the board that is located under the playfield to the right of the Resistor Board (A13) that contains the 4 resistors that are used for the 4 pairs of #67 Lamps:
[quoted image]
Am I correct in my assumptions?

Nope, incorrect aux. lamp driver board.
Those are used for the running lights around the 10 million sign.

#3084 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Nope, incorrect aux. lamp driver board.
Those are used for the running lights around the 10 million sign.

Ah, got it. Thanks for the clarification.

#3085 4 years ago

Hi All,

I went to play my Countdown last night for the first time in about a month. Everything was playing well the last time it was booted, this time the player 1 display was flickering and players 2, 3 and 4 displays were dim.

Ant thoughts? It has a brand new NiWumph CPU.

Thanks

#3086 4 years ago

Have you checked the power supply for voltage? Caps new? pins making connection? Ground mod done?

#3087 4 years ago

Has anyone switched out the solenoids (A-5194) that are used for the (2) out holes on Incredible Hulk?

Am thinking about putting in stronger solenoids

Thanks

#3088 4 years ago

Has anyone switched out the solenoids (A-5194) that are used for the (2) out holes on Incredible Hulk?
Am thinking about putting in stronger solenoids
Thanks

Have not tried that, but interested in how it behaves when you do. What are you thinking of putting in there? an A-1496 like in the pops?

#3089 4 years ago

I remember reading somewhere that a fellow pinsider switched both out (cant find the post). He stated that the right out hole was so strong that it would shoot the ball up and hit the drop target bank.

#3090 4 years ago

My right side hits the drops now with the 5194 in there, does not your's? sometimes knocks 1 down, sometimes 2, sometimes shoots slightly left of them all and goes to the top lanes.

#3091 4 years ago

I re-checked the underside. my left has a 5194, my right has a 5195.

When the ball is ejected from the right out hole, it barely makes it up to the pop bumper

#3092 4 years ago

ah, well that would make sense, 5195 is not nearly as strong as a 5194 (12.3 Ohms vs 4.5 Ohms).

#3093 4 years ago

Have you checked the power supply for voltage? Caps new? pins making connection? Ground mod done?

I haven't checked anything yet, as I'm away from home for a few days, will check when I'm back.

#3094 4 years ago

On my joker poker one of the aces and one of the kings givs lot of points and then resets the droptargets even though all are not down. It gives 2010 points when dropping and then ends up on 7010 when resetting that bank. No diffrent with groundmods done. Its the far right acetarget and the king furthest down. What chip on the mpu should I look into and meassure? Really odd

Cheers

#3095 4 years ago

#Genie
Am I missing it, or are there any aftermarket displays for this game? I could definitely use 2, but would prefer to replace all 4 to have matching brightness.

#3096 4 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Genie
Am I missing it, or are there any aftermarket displays for this game? I could definitely use 2, but would prefer to replace all 4 to have matching brightness.

Boston Pinball, I believe is the outfit that makes LED displays for SYS1/SYS80 machines. The only caveat is it basically requires you to put a plug into the service outlet to power them.

#3097 4 years ago
Quoted from Andreas:

On my joker poker one of the aces and one of the kings givs lot of points and then resets the droptargets even though all are not down. It gives 2010 points when dropping and then ends up on 7010 when resetting that bank. No diffrent with groundmods done. Its the far right acetarget and the king furthest down. What chip on the mpu should I look into and meassure? Really odd
Cheers

I would look at the switches on the drops. are they making good connection, I had one that wasn't tight enough, so as I flipped, it would "bounce" and continue to give out points. are they too tight, so the game thinks they are already down?

#3098 4 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

I would look at the switches on the drops. are they making good connection, I had one that wasn't tight enough, so as I flipped, it would "bounce" and continue to give out points. are they too tight, so the game thinks they are already down?

Switches looks ok with an ok gap

#3099 4 years ago
Quoted from Andreas:

Cheers

Check the little diode boards on the bottom of the playfield. My guess one of them is bad. Common problem on the old Gottliebs.

#3100 4 years ago
Quoted from LynnInDenver:

Boston Pinball, I believe is the outfit that makes LED displays for SYS1/SYS80 machines. The only caveat is it basically requires you to put a plug into the service outlet to power them.

So these guys are out of their displays, and won’t be making another round for a bit- anyone have at least 3, nice bright sys 1 displays for sale for my Genie?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Madison, WI
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Calgary, AB
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,539 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/62?hl=luzur and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.