(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,524 posts
  • 648 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 47 hours ago by JakePG
  • Topic is favorited by 322 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg
IMG_5720(1) (resized).jpg
IMG_5721(1) (resized).jpg
IMG_5719 (resized).jpg
IMG_3287 (resized).jpeg
20240131_210835 (resized).jpg
20240131_210842 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240110_003042000.MP (resized).jpg
PXL_20240110_004644797 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,524 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 131.
#2951 4 years ago

Has anyone seen a gottlieb 80a system with custom sounds/music? I see that Applejuice is working on a custom soundboard for system 80b and system 3, but I was hoping to see some options for a system 80a. It wouldn’t need to be fancy. Even one music track and 3 sound effects would be enough.
I’m starting to think a wav trigger would be my best bet, although I have yet to find a step by step setup writeup to guide me.

#2952 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

So i've got some additional info on this issue I'm having. Apparently the 2 insert (lamp 34) will turn off when lamp 45 turns on. This is true even if lamp 34 is supposed to be on, it will still turn off if lamp 45 turns on. I put the oscilliscope on 2 of the leads on Q35 (the transistor for lamp 34) and in attract mode I can see the transistor turning on and off. Same in test mode. I can even pause the test in test mode and see the transistor turn on/off. Or at least i can see the 2 pins go high at the same time and then back to low. Perhaps I'm not understanding things right there.
Either way how could it be possible for this lamp to be on all the time except when lamp 45 turns on? How would lamp 45 turning on turn off lamp 34? If these lamps were on the same IC i'd suspect the IC but they're on totally different chips. I'm well past my current electronics knowledge here and hoping a more seasoned vet can enlighten me.

So I finally figured this out. Apparently at some time someone had moved the wire on the connector for lamp 34 so that it was no longer connected to Q35. Instead it was now connected to Q50. As it turns out Q46 (lamp 45) and Q50 are inverses of each other. So when lamp 45 turned on Q50 would turn off which would then turn off the "2" insert since it was hooked up wrong. So much hair pulling.

#2953 4 years ago

I'm going to be diving into the switch matrix for the first time of a System 80B system, I have a drop target that is not registering as being down. Any advice? I looked over at Pinwiki to get up to speed, but still a little greek to me. First thought is check continuity and then check the diodes in the circuit to make sure there is no failure. I did a visual exam last night and saw nothing and the switch looks good and clean with no broken wires.

#2954 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I really don't know why people do this, manual states 5.5-6 degrees.

I agree 100%. But even jacking front legs up rears down I can't get it lower. Would lead me to think rear legs were swapped out. Can anyone confirm leg sizes.

#2955 4 years ago
Quoted from Mtkst19:

I agree 100%. But even jacking front legs up rears down I can't get it lower. Would lead me to think rear legs were swapped out. Can anyone confirm leg sizes.

Gottlieb 4337 in my Hot Shots manual is 27 3/8" quantity four.

Some websites list short/tall sets; my factory manual would indicate this is incorrect and borne out with the three System 80's I have here. With the rear jacked up too high you can't even make some of the shots in Spring Break as the ball "falls off" trying to get across the table and will impact the upper turn low.

I just purchased 27" chrome legs from PBResource this week for this very problem, very reasonable at $13 a pop.

#2956 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Gottlieb 4337 in my Hot Shots manual is 27 3/8" quantity four..

Thank you for info.

#2957 4 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Has anyone seen a gottlieb 80a system with custom sounds/music? I see that Applejuice is working on a custom soundboard for system 80b and system 3, but I was hoping to see some options for a system 80a. It wouldn’t need to be fancy. Even one music track and 3 sound effects would be enough.
I’m starting to think a wav trigger would be my best bet, although I have yet to find a step by step setup writeup to guide me.

The LISY80 board can do custom sound on 80,80a, and 80b games. You need to install a sound card. Details are on the website.

#2958 4 years ago

Need help

I have a Gottlieb Diamond Lady that I put all new boards in and I still cannot get any sound? I hear a hum from the speakers and the volume control works, but no game sounds. It will coin up and ply but nothing. Event the test buttons on the sound card produce nothing.

Any thoughts?

#2959 4 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Need help
I have a Gottlieb Diamond Lady that I put all new boards in and I still cannot get any sound? I hear a hum from the speakers and the volume control works, but no game sounds. It will coin up and ply but nothing. Event the test buttons on the sound card produce nothing.
Any thoughts?

Need more info.

Which boards were swapped out? Did you change out the sound board? Were the sound ROMS swapped out for the game?

#2960 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Were the sound ROMS swapped out for the game?

This especially... I have had sound ROMs go corrupt twice in 80b games. There is an authorized reseller guy in Canada I have used who can burn new ones at a reasonable price.

#2961 4 years ago

Need help on a Big House
The spotlight in multi ball moves buts just goes one way then hits the plastic over and over
And insight would be much appreciated
Thanks
Marshall

#2962 4 years ago

Hmmm
The motor works,the rod that comes up from it has a metal post on the side of it.
It bounces it back and forth off of two plastic posts underneath.
It wants to hit the plastic jail on the playfield long before the metal post hits the plastic post underneath
I can put it all the way to one side under there and tighten the light all the way left on the playfield for the “spotlight “but when it goes to the right it just hits off the plastic and comes back
Weird.
It works just not like supposed to

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2963 4 years ago

Maybe this is like a LAH crane situation seems like the two plastic stopper posts under there are too far apart
They’ve never been moved I don’t get it

#2964 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Need more info.
Which boards were swapped out? Did you change out the sound board? Were the sound ROMS swapped out for the game?

I put in a new Driver board, MPU board, Power Board and sound board. Also put in new sound Roms from John.

#2965 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

This especially... I have had sound ROMs go corrupt twice in 80b games. There is an authorized reseller guy in Canada I have used who can burn new ones at a reasonable price.

Put in new sound board with new.sound roms from Canada.

#2966 4 years ago

I recently added a Flippp P1-1x4 and sound add-on card to my Buck Rogers system 1 game and its been working great. I walked into my game room after the game was on for a couple of hours and all four of the score and status display led's are not working. I've reseated J1 on the Flippp board and cycled the power a bunch of times. Any suggestions on something else to check? All the backboard and playfield lights are working and the game starts up fine. I've checked all the fuses and they are fine. Also on the Flippp board, the 60/48/8v light is not lit.

#2967 4 years ago

Anyone got a picture of Diamond Lady Sound Board so I can see how JP7 and JP8 are jumpered so I can make sure mine are correct?

Thanks

#2968 4 years ago
Quoted from ElCid95:

I walked into my game room after the game was on for a couple of hours and all four of the score and status display led's are not working. I've reseated J1 on the Flippp board and cycled the power a bunch of times.

Are all your voltages correct when tested with a meter? The power for the displays comes off the small transformer, if they are original.

Pinwiki is super helpful http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_1

You may want to check with the maker of your all in one board. Everything electronic can fail. Maybe you just got an unlucky one... or it's a fuse down on the bottom.

#2969 4 years ago

Anyone got a picture of Diamond Lady Sound Board so I can see how JP7 and JP8 are jumpered so I can make sure mine are correct?

Here you go,

20190513_215022 (resized).jpg20190513_215022 (resized).jpg20190513_215028 (resized).jpg20190513_215028 (resized).jpg
#2970 4 years ago

Check this round fuse on the board it can cause displays to go out if bad

ED504986-1974-4401-A1AA-0276928421CD (resized).jpegED504986-1974-4401-A1AA-0276928421CD (resized).jpeg
#2971 4 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

but when it goes to the right it just hits off the plastic and comes back
Weird.
It works just not like supposed to[quoted image][quoted image]

I had one and it acted strange like that. Turned out the motor was stripped on that copy, but would still grab and move it to one side sometimes. as I recall I sold it without it working because I couldn’t source the motor at the time

#2972 4 years ago

Hi guys,

Going to check a project Arena this WE.
Anything I should be attentive to?

#2973 4 years ago

It was the round fuse. Thanks for all the help! Now to pick up a couple of extra fuses...

#2974 4 years ago

Best place to get system 1 ground mod parts from?

#2975 4 years ago

Posted this out in tech early before but think I need you guys for this.

I have a new pinball pool...Man its killing me. For 2 month now I have been trying to get the left droptargetbank to work. I have done EVERYTHING. Changed the under playfieldtransistor 2 times. Changed one of the coil and diod just in case. Diods and coils are ok and meassure good. There is continutity to all the wiers conneted to the transistor and the coils and to the driverboard. Tried with 3 diffrent driverboards, 2 diffrent cpu. I have a new powersupply. Groundmods done. .156 edge connectors are like new in it..heck the whole game look factory new. When aligatorclipping from the coils on the right droptarget bank to the nonworking left and by aligatorclipping I mean from white/orange to red/white on the coils it works so coils is ok. I have played 5 games like this hijacking the other coils. Im thinking of doing this to a permanent hack..what is the worst that can happen? It worked like a charm. Both banks resets...Is the worst thing that can happen that the transistor on the driverboard that controlls the right bank burns up?..I have attached som pics of the under playfield transistor..Im 99,99 that it is mounted the right way. I really cant find whats wrong...done 2 pinball pools before and then it was enough to change the transistor. The fuse snd fuseholder for dt is ok. I use 2n5884g transistor under playfield and according to marco and bestofpinball this is an ok replacement.

#2976 4 years ago

2N5884 are okay. You can try to add a 4K7 0.25W pull up resistor to the Base of this transistor, the resistor permanently connected to 25V.

Like this -> 25V ---[ ]--- Base 2N5884.

It is a modification Gottlieb standard performed with the under playfield mounted PNP transistors in later system 80 games starting with Black Hole.

#2977 4 years ago

What are the white/orange and red/white wires? Are these the "hot" side of the coils? Do you have power to the coil that isn't firing? Sucks that I can't just look this stuff up online.

#2978 4 years ago
Quoted from Andreas:

Posted this out in tech early before but think I need you guys for this.
I have a new pinball pool...Man its killing me. For 2 month now I have been trying to get the left droptargetbank to work. I have done EVERYTHING. Changed the under playfieldtransistor 2 times. Changed one of the coil and diod just in case. Diods and coils are ok and meassure good. There is continutity to all the wiers conneted to the transistor and the coils and to the driverboard. Tried with 3 diffrent driverboards, 2 diffrent cpu. I have a new powersupply. Groundmods done. .156 edge connectors are like new in it..heck the whole game look factory new. When aligatorclipping from the coils on the right droptarget bank to the nonworking left and by aligatorclipping I mean from white/orange to red/white on the coils it works so coils is ok. I have played 5 games like this hijacking the other coils. Im thinking of doing this to a permanent hack..what is the worst that can happen? It worked like a charm. Both banks resets...Is the worst thing that can happen that the transistor on the driverboard that controlls the right bank burns up?..I have attached som pics of the under playfield transistor..Im 99,99 that it is mounted the right way. I really cant find whats wrong...done 2 pinball pools before and then it was enough to change the transistor. The fuse snd fuseholder for dt is ok. I use 2n5884g transistor under playfield and according to marco and bestofpinball this is an ok replacement.

Check out the pinrepair.com site it has a segment on the curious case of Pinball Pool and the roto trip targets. This could be related to the added B relay

#2979 4 years ago

Does anyone have a Cleopatra schematics? Middle Lights on playfield are not working on my game. The middle column of Red, white, blue, yellow, green lights. Left and Right columns work, and the feature is working, the lights are not. I replaced bulbs, my guess is that the black with white tracer is the issue.

#2980 4 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

Check out the pinrepair.com site it has a segment on the curious case of Pinball Pool and the roto trip targets. This could be related to the added B relay

In my search to find info to help him I read the segment about the Pinball Pool drop targets. From my understanding the B relay only has to do with the drop target trip coils and nothing to do with the reset. It simply cuts power to the trip coils when the reset happens. Did I misunderstand something?

#2981 4 years ago

I'm back in the club. In fact, I doubled down.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/79-genie

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/haunted-house-resto-plus-multiball-and-speach

I'm still working on the multi-ball/speech mod for Haunted House, but Genie's been back in action for a couple years now.

#2982 4 years ago

I just want to say I love this thread. I check it daily, if not every other. You folks are the best and I consider you all part of my family. Enjoy my row.

C54F35C9-A188-4859-8840-E473626E797E (resized).jpegC54F35C9-A188-4859-8840-E473626E797E (resized).jpeg
#2983 4 years ago
Quoted from REGNE:

I just want to say I love this thread. I check it daily, if not every other. You folks are the best and I consider you all part of my family. Enjoy my row.[quoted image]

Nice!

#2984 4 years ago
Quoted from REGNE:

I just want to say I love this thread. I check it daily, if not every other. You folks are the best and I consider you all part of my family. Enjoy my row.[quoted image]

Awesome collection! I really like the Gottlieb neon.

#2985 4 years ago

Picked up two genies yesterday and I’m excited to get them going! Been looking for one for awhile and had to buy both.

If anyone is looking for a cheap genie project let me know. Backglass is pretty bad but you could have a decent player out of it. Game doesn’t play but boards are there.

#2986 4 years ago

Hey guys, I am going through the power supply on my black hole, and I have found one anomoly I can't explain. I understand this is an unregulated power supply, so I don't expect to find exact voltages coming out of it, but the +6v circuit has me concerned. Right now it is putting out a perfect +12v dc. Should I be concered about this? Or is this something common to system 80 machines?
Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 9.36.45 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-05-27 at 9.36.45 AM (resized).png

#2987 4 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Hey guys, I am going through the power supply on my black hole, and I have found one anomoly I can't explain. I understand this is an unregulated power supply, so I don't expect to find exact voltages coming out of it, but the +6v circuit has me concerned. Right now it is putting out a perfect +12v dc. Should I be concered about this? Or is this something common to system 80 machines?
[quoted image]

Are you sure you have the premary wiring correct?

#2988 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball419:

Does anyone have a Cleopatra schematics? Middle Lights on playfield are not working on my game. The middle column of Red, white, blue, yellow, green lights. Left and Right columns work, and the feature is working, the lights are not. I replaced bulbs, my guess is that the black with white tracer is the issue.

Are you still looking for this? I have a hard copy of the SS Schematics I can try to help if needed.

#2989 4 years ago

Hello all Gottlieb System 1 Owners!

I'm repairing a Gottlieb System 1 Count Down from 1979, with some CPU issues, I'm wondering if anyone owning an operational system 1 could do a couple of resistance measurements across C16 and C17 for me out of interest? They are the +5V and -12V filter caps on the CPU, I'm intrigued to know as my reading across C16 seems way to low?

Here's a picture of the two caps on the CPU I'm talking about:

Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 7.35.36 pm (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-05-29 at 7.35.36 pm (resized).png
#2990 4 years ago

Hi,

I was wondering if you guys could help me,

I recently bought a Genesis, I did the ground mods at the bottom and reflowed the power supply board, working on the rest but there are a couple of issues I can’t figure out..

1. The right side of the playfield lamps seem dim and flickering (illumination lamps)

2. The vari-target does not register anything at all. (Contacts were cleaned etc)

Any ideas?

I have not reflowed the daughter board, sometimes it does reset..

#2991 4 years ago
Quoted from Neoaztek:

I have not reflowed the daughter board, sometimes it does reset..

Unless your soldering skills and equipment are well above average, do not attempt to remove the daugterboard, reflow and reinstall.

#2992 4 years ago

Hey folks. Installed a Ni Wumpf in a project Countdown. I believe I may have missed the first step where the board asks what game is it being installed into and now I dont know how to reset it. I also am unsure if the start button is actually working on the machine as nothing but GI was working before the board was installed. Now the board works, 4 out of 5 display boards are working, but yeah, I think the start button doesn't work. When i somehow get the games to start, the ball will score points and 2 of the drop target banks come up, and flippers work, but ball doesnt properly end when the ball drains.

#2993 4 years ago

Woo hoo! I got my black hole to boot! Does anyone have a spare 6 digit display they would be willing to sell me? My play 4 display had a broken filament and can’t be recharged.

1219FFF5-9AB1-4CDB-BEEE-F0D9BEE92CF2 (resized).jpeg1219FFF5-9AB1-4CDB-BEEE-F0D9BEE92CF2 (resized).jpeg
#2994 4 years ago

Has anyone used the playfeild protector for Charlie's Angels yet? I'm gona order one soon and was wondering if anyone knows how well it fits?

#2995 4 years ago

Maintenance on the Spring Break!

Since purchase a month ago the game was vaguely fussy; sound would not initialize right or was distorted time to time and would take a reboot or two to make right. I knew the 5V pot adjuster was fussy and erratic so ordered replacement pots (which didn't fit!)

This morning I drilled out the 5 volt board PCB so the new pot fit and dialed in 5.05 volts, grounded all the circuit boards and took off the battery (which had been changed in 2007 according to the tag) and simply remotely mounted it so even if it fails can't cause any damage.

Machine fired up and is running beautifully, rock solid.

Picture taken before I removed the battery and plugged in the upper MPU connector.

20190604_090817_resized (resized).jpg20190604_090817_resized (resized).jpg

#2996 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

This morning I drilled out the 5 volt board PCB so the new pot fit and dialed in 5.05 volts, grounded all the circuit boards and took off the battery (which had been changed in 2007 according to the tag) and simply remotely mounted it so even if it fails can't cause any damage.

That's the most tidy grounding job I've ever seen ...

#2997 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

That's the most tidy grounding job I've ever seen ...

Would have been neater but I'm working on the machine while it is in the line up which entails kneeling on another machine's rails to avoid stressing the glass. I'd pre-cut the wire, tin it and added the eyelet before hefting back up to solder in place.. so lengths were done by eye, a little longer than shorter.

#2998 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'd pre-cut the wire, tin it and added the eyelet before hefting back up to solder in place ...

What type of crimping tool do you need to do those eyelets?

#2999 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

What type of crimping tool do you need to do those eyelets?

Nothing special, standard automotive style eyelets. In this case I was using linesmen pliers which has a built in crimper.

#3000 4 years ago

I'm back in the club.
I've got a Hot Shots game to restore.
CPU with battery damage and connectors to replace.

IMG-20190525-WA0011 (resized).jpgIMG-20190525-WA0011 (resized).jpgIMG-20190525-WA0009 (resized).jpgIMG-20190525-WA0009 (resized).jpgIMG-20190525-WA0008 (resized).jpgIMG-20190525-WA0008 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
There are 6,524 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/60?hl=pinball_ric and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.