(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3,166 posts
  • 411 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Inkochnito
  • Topic is favorited by 214 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,028 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20191001_103025 (resized).jpg
20191001_110942 (resized).jpg
20191001_110901 (resized).jpg
20191001_110727 (resized).jpg
20191001_104510 (resized).jpg
IMG_65041 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190907_144915 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190907_145128 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190907_134709 (resized).jpg
20190907_130201 (resized).jpg
20190907_130151 (resized).jpg
5F2D05BD-912F-44C7-A73A-60C2C8CEB5FE (resized).jpeg
IMG-20190907-WA0000 (resized).jpeg
20190817_104602 (resized).jpg
20190816_102612 (resized).jpg
20190816_102616 (resized).jpg

There are 3166 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 64.
#201 5 years ago
Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

"Tell us more about this story, were you there when the guy was getting ready to pitch it off the back of his truck?
its amazing that you were able tyo not that one slip through the cracks...
CF is a GREAT game.. i love mine"
I wasn't there, but got a call from a buddy that knew I had started collecting pinball machines. He stopped them from flipping it off the back tailgate of a pickup truck and moved it to a covered shed. He said they had the manuals and a box of spare parts, but they somehow lost them by the time I got there. The game itself had two blown fuses and is dirty as heck. I replaced the fuses in the driveway and fired it up. I decided to try it outside, just in case it caught fire or something. I played a couple of games and ended up with a flock of neighborhood kids playing it. It appeared everything worked on it, drop targets and all. I actually went to bed and could still hear the kids playing it. To my surprise, it was still there the next morning. I moved it into the garage, pulled the backglass,(took it inside), covered it with a blanket, and promptly moved to a new job in Wichita, 405 miles away.. The thing is still in the garage in Foristell. I'll clip the battery out of it the next time I return home. I did look to see if it had the ground mod on it, it doesn't. It deserves a restore, but I don't know if it will be by me. At least I rescued it.
];

Thats awesome, keep it if ya can, they dont come up EVERY day, and if its in good shape its a worthy catch...

mine kicks my ass daily

I have yet to turn it over or even come close...

#202 5 years ago
Quoted from BALL_LESS1:

"Tell us more about this story, were you there when the guy was getting ready to pitch it off the back of his truck?
its amazing that you were able tyo not that one slip through the cracks...
CF is a GREAT game.. i love mine"
I wasn't there, but got a call from a buddy that knew I had started collecting pinball machines. He stopped them from flipping it off the back tailgate of a pickup truck and moved it to a covered shed. He said they had the manuals and a box of spare parts, but they somehow lost them by the time I got there. The game itself had two blown fuses and is dirty as heck. I replaced the fuses in the driveway and fired it up. I decided to try it outside, just in case it caught fire or something. I played a couple of games and ended up with a flock of neighborhood kids playing it. It appeared everything worked on it, drop targets and all. I actually went to bed and could still hear the kids playing it. To my surprise, it was still there the next morning. I moved it into the garage, pulled the backglass,(took it inside), covered it with a blanket, and promptly moved to a new job in Wichita, 405 miles away.. The thing is still in the garage in Foristell. I'll clip the battery out of it the next time I return home. I did look to see if it had the ground mod on it, it doesn't. It deserves a restore, but I don't know if it will be by me. At least I rescued it.
];
Post edited by BALL_LESS1 : Add pics

CF1.jpg 224 KB

cf2.jpg 173 KB

Holy chit. CF is a great game, and someone was going to pitch one, right in my backyard. Gack! Glad you saved it!
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#203 5 years ago

Yep, I agree. Its a good thing one of us know all about them! This thing cost me more in lost wages to fetch it than what I paid for it! I'd like to restore it, as it appears it is fully functional. It has plenty of electronic farts and burps and gets a bit intense as the game progresses. I tried a couple of LED's in it, which failed to light. I know nothing about the System 80's but like the fact that it is wider than anything in my collection. The cabinet is a weird looking pinkish color, but in decent shape.

#204 5 years ago

I'm a Gottlieb 80b fan, as they are a lot of bang for the buck. I picked up a Hollywood Heat and an Arena in amazing shape for next to nothing, and they are two of my favorite games. I also want to add a Monte Carlo to my collection in the not too distant future!

Any other recommendations for good 80b games?

#205 5 years ago

If you think CF is wide, you should see Star Race, Genie, and Circus... those are extra wide !

#206 5 years ago

I just happen to have 2 MC's for sale !

Look at my Collection list, you cant miss with any of them !

If you have questions about any of them, fire away, and i will give you to low down !

#207 5 years ago

There are 4 of them that wide, you forgot Roller Disco.

Steve

Quoted from Gerry:

If you think CF is wide, you should see Star Race, Genie, and Circus... those are extra wide !

#208 5 years ago

I like my Bounty Hunter and it's 80B. Bone Busters is also a fun game.

Steve

Quoted from Dotmuncher:

Any other recommendations for good 80b games?

#209 5 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

There are 4 of them that wide, you forgot Roller Disco.
Steve

F- me your right, forgot about that.. what a douche i am LOL

#210 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballrus:

Anyone pulled playfield mylar from an 80B? I've got a Hollywood Heat I am considering doing this to, it's not terrible, but would be so much cleaner with it removed!
Any horror or success stories?

Hey if you do this, please document your results I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Gerry do you have before/after pictures?

#211 5 years ago
Quoted from Frankenator:

Hey if you do this, please document your results I'm curious to see how it turns out.
Gerry do you have before/after pictures?

no i dont sorry...

#212 5 years ago

The top bar is a standard width SYS80B, the middle is a widebody SYS80, and the last is the width on the Extra wide SYS80's.. the XW is Star Race..

ldb 1.jpgldb 1.jpgldb2.jpgldb2.jpgldb2.jpg

#213 5 years ago

Uhhh, Gerry ... no Circus to go beside Star Race???

And you call yourself a Sys80 fan.

#214 5 years ago

Dear Gottlieb pinball gods,

I would like to join the sys80 club -- walk through the front door, and march straight down the isle.
I promise to love, cherish, clean, restore, and protect a beloved sys80.

thanks,
mof

#215 5 years ago

If you want to be in the System 80 club, I insist that you go out and buy one tomorrow.

Steve

#216 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Dear Gottlieb pinball gods,
I would like to join the sys80 club -- walk through the front door, and march straight down the isle.
I promise to love, cherish, clean, restore, and protect a beloved sys80.
thanks,
mof

If, Steve cant help ya find one, nobody can!

#217 5 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

The top bar is a standard width SYS80B, the middle is a widebody SYS80, and the last is the width on the Extra wide SYS80's.. the XW is Star Race..

ldb2.jpg 159 KB

ldb 1.jpg 205 KB

Great pic Gerry. Very illustrative. Hope you didn't fall off the chair...
--

#218 5 years ago

I don't get involved it the hunt, that would take away too much of the fun. However, sometimes I do offer advice on pictures when asked.

Steve

Quoted from Gerry:

If, Steve cant help ya find one, nobody can!

#219 5 years ago

Some machines at home.
P1020379-801.JPG
P1020386.JPG

#220 5 years ago

Very cool lb..

#221 5 years ago

Prayers answered! There *ARE* pinball gods afterall !

In da club ! Gotta go update my pin collection ! (And find a neighbor to help me cart it in the garage...)
=)

-mof

#222 5 years ago

What is it, what is it, what is it !

#223 5 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

What is it, what is it, what is it !

"Do you dare to enter..."

#224 5 years ago

Is The Amazing Spiderman an extra wide machine?

#225 5 years ago

Normal System 80 size. If you look at Gerry's pics of the hold down bars, it'll be the one in the middle.

Steve

Quoted from Pintoxicated:

Is The Amazing Spiderman an extra wide machine?

#226 5 years ago

Devils Dare... the perfect first one

Edit after your PM, Duh, Ah, Black Hole... i shoulda got it the first time ..

was still in the morning fog

#227 5 years ago

I played Arena for the first time yesterday. Spend the day at CP Pinball and had a blast. I really liked Arena, the skill shot is super cool.

#228 5 years ago

Had to do it... Will cross-reference back here for people who "do not dare to enter"...

The Black Hole!

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-club-members-only

-mof

#229 5 years ago

Special thanks to "Dr. Gottlieb"

for his remote-help to help me get in my first game within an hour of getting it in the garage.

When did HAVING CREDITS become a requirement of using the REPLAY button? LOL... ! That must have been new for 1981. (Yes I was tired off my ass)

-mof

#230 5 years ago

Pinball Pool best $500 machine money can buy image-46.jpg

image-715.jpg
#231 5 years ago

Any MGOW or Haunted House owners? PM me. I need some close-up pictures of connectors.

#232 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Any MGOW or Haunted House owners? PM me. I need some close-up pictures of connectors.

Tell me what you need

#233 5 years ago

Got it today!

... but I'll really need the eye of the tiger to get this pin playing again; anyone happen to have an extra 80A harness to sell?

100_1851.JPG
100_1813.JPG
100_1840.JPG
100_1811.JPG
100_1848-83.JPG

#234 5 years ago

Holy F%$K Kev, if you wanted a project you got it...

Why in the hell did somebody F- that game up that bad...

Tell us the story !

#235 5 years ago

Wow, talk about rats nest. I wouldn't know where to begin straightening that out.

Steve

#236 5 years ago

Not sure what the story was but I couldn't resist. Big Trudeau fan.

Yeah, it's a mess but I'm patient; one wire at a time. No rush. This was clearly a parts playfield that someone stole the harness from and then someone else optimistically started new wiring. My deal included with a Caveman playfield with harness but I'm not sure that will suffice.

I'm REALLY hoping to find a mostly complete 80A wiring harness, including the transformer board assembly.

#237 5 years ago

Here's a link to a System 80 site from friend of mine, Peter Hall.

http://www.geocities.ws/system80pins/

It has a lot of interesting info to look at, hopefully, some of you will enjoy it.

Steve

#238 5 years ago

woa.....Geocities.

#239 5 years ago

Yeah, it's archived. I don't know if Peter moved or abandoned it.

Steve

Quoted from Gov:

woa.....Geocities.

#240 5 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

Not sure what the story was but I couldn't resist. Big Trudeau fan.
Yeah, it's a mess but I'm patient; one wire at a time. No rush. This was clearly a parts playfield that someone stole the harness from and then someone else optimistically started new wiring. My deal included with a Caveman playfield with harness but I'm not sure that will suffice.
I'm REALLY hoping to find a mostly complete 80A wiring harness, including the transformer board assembly.

My stomach is rolling just thinking about that project...

WOW !

#241 5 years ago

First time sys80 owner, long time listener. Got one dead pop on this BH, other 5 pops seem ok. What's a good strategy to troubleshoot? Also -- what are some basic readings I can take on the solenoid?

With power off, I have .1-.2 resistance between switch lugs on a good pop switch
on the bad pop, I have a wide range from .2 through 17. it keeps moving around. Does this point to a bad coil?

on the coil lugs, power off, good coil is 3 ohms
on bad pop its bad, so I presume bad coil. I guess I have to watch out for this pop locking on... (sigh) which might point to a board issue...

thanks,
mof

#242 5 years ago

does black hole use the pop bumper boards?

#243 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

First time sys80 owner, long time listener. Got one dead pop on this BH, other 5 pops seem ok. What's a good strategy to troubleshoot? Also -- what are some basic readings I can take on the solenoid?
With power off, I have .1-.2 resistance between switch lugs on a good pop switch
on the bad pop, I have a wide range from .2 through 17. it keeps moving around. Does this point to a bad coil?
on the coil lugs, power off, good coil is 3 ohms
on bad pop its bad, so I presume bad coil. I guess I have to watch out for this pop locking on... (sigh) which might point to a board issue...
thanks,
mof

Its the pop bumper board, if its not the fuse for that particular PBB

#244 5 years ago

and i have never rebuilt a PBB yet, i know it isnt that big of a deal, but i have lots of extras in stock.. so i have just swaped them out when needed...

unless its an obvious wiring issue, or bad fuse 99% of the time its the board..

#245 5 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

does black hole use the pop bumper boards?

Yes, it does.
@mof...replace the coil, and troubleshoot the associated pop bumper driver board.
--

#246 5 years ago

Rare, humm no ! unique but in this Club.

20131022_171931.jpg
#247 5 years ago

And do you have a manual ? you will need one owning that game

#248 5 years ago

I dont know what pop it is, but you cna swap a known working PBB into the non working slot, just leave the other one unpluged and see if the said non working pop then works..

then you will know for sure

#249 5 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

I dont know what pop it is, but you cna swap a known working PBB into the non working slot, just leave the other one unpluged and see if the said non working pop then works..
then you will know for sure

Agreed - that would be the first thing to do after checking the fuses.

#250 5 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

Got it today!
... but I'll really need the eye of the tiger to get this pin playing again; anyone happen to have an extra 80A harness to sell?

No harness but these wiring diagrams should help you get you started
Good luck with that rewiring project - it will be worth it when done
Gottlieb Rocky_Page_39.jpg
Gottlieb Rocky_Page_40.jpg

Gottlieb Rocky_Page_38.jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Sale Pending!
Romeoville, IL
800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dallas, GA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Ellensburg, WA
$ 50.00
Machine - For Sale
Saint Charles, MO
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 3166 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 64.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside