(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,524 posts
  • 648 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 25 hours ago by JakePG
  • Topic is favorited by 322 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg
IMG_5720(1) (resized).jpg
IMG_5721(1) (resized).jpg
IMG_5719 (resized).jpg
IMG_3287 (resized).jpeg
20240131_210835 (resized).jpg
20240131_210842 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240110_003042000.MP (resized).jpg
PXL_20240110_004644797 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,524 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 131.
#2401 5 years ago

Hi Guys, I’m 300 miles away from my Black Hole and I need to remake the bottom of Black Hole cabinet for a friend. Can somebody please tell me the diameter of the speaker hole. The machine in question is missing the bottom board altogether. Thanks in advance.

#2402 5 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Hi Guys, I’m 300 miles away from my Black Hole and I need to remake the bottom of Black Hole cabinet for a friend. Can somebody please tell me the diameter of the speaker hole. The machine in question is missing the bottom board altogether. Thanks in advance.

just cut it to fit any speaker you want. you have all the freedom in the world.

#2403 5 years ago
Quoted from TwoHeartedMale:

just cut it to fit any speaker you want. you have all the freedom in the world.

That is very true but the goal is to make it look like nothing was done. That being said, I "phoned a friend". The speaker holes are 5" and there are two of them.

#2404 5 years ago

Yup two 5" holes . Mine measure aprox 13" from back edge of the plywood to center and 6" from the sides to center.

#2405 5 years ago

So here’s an 80B where the #1 score stays corrupted even if I remove the batteries and fully reset the game, scores 2-5 are fine. Anybody know what this could be? thx in advance.

022E91F3-ED40-450E-93EE-32D82D311F88 (resized).jpeg022E91F3-ED40-450E-93EE-32D82D311F88 (resized).jpeg
#2406 5 years ago
Quoted from Zorak:

So here’s an 80B where the #1 score stays corrupted even if I remove the batteries and fully reset the game, scores 2-5 are fine. Anybody know what this could be? thx in advance.
[quoted image]

Is the display test ok? There might be a hardware problem.

#2407 5 years ago
Quoted from Biffbar:

Is the display test ok? There might be a hardware problem.

yep test runs 100%. no garbage on the display at all during gameplay or when displaying scores 2-5

#2408 5 years ago
Quoted from Zorak:

[quoted image]

It is possible the ram is bad.

#2409 5 years ago

I have 2 Volcanos and 1 Mars God of War for sale. All three in good condition. All will need a little work.

20180908_175525 (resized).jpg20180908_175525 (resized).jpg20180908_175528 (resized).jpg20180908_175528 (resized).jpg20180908_175536 (resized).jpg20180908_175536 (resized).jpg
#2410 5 years ago

Does it matter if I change the cables on the popbumper lampsocket. Someone has done the worst job and I cant see witch of the lampsocket side that will have 2 cabels to one lug. Cant find it in the Dragon manual.

#2411 5 years ago

Best way to fix this?

20180916_134503 (resized).jpg20180916_134503 (resized).jpg20180916_134506 (resized).jpg20180916_134506 (resized).jpg
#2412 5 years ago

New blades are not available. Only source is to part out old rotos.

Steve at Pinball Resource has them but will no longer ship them out, only uses to repair what is sent in.

Since you are outside the USA, hopefully someone can supply you with a used blade. Drill rivets, repin with new. (Steve has the Rivets too.)

#2413 5 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

New blades are not available. Only source is to part out old rotos.
Steve at Pinball Resource has them but will no longer ship them out, only uses to repair what is sent in.
Since you are outside the USA, hopefully someone can supply you with a used blade. Drill rivets, repin with new. (Steve has the Rivets too.)

Buggerd...Ok then I will have to manufacter it myself. I have 2 gsmes with rototargets. Is it common that they brake? Maybee I can use parts from a standup target?

#2414 5 years ago
Quoted from Andreas:

Does it matter if I change the cables on the popbumper lampsocket. Someone has done the worst job and I cant see witch of the lampsocket side that will have 2 cabels to one lug. Cant find it in the Dragon manual.

No, it does not matter.

Peter

#2415 5 years ago

Include me on the System 80B list - I have a Raven, a Gladiators, and Amazing Spider Man!

#2416 5 years ago

....And if it's ok, could I ask a question about Raven to a fellow owner? Or another forum?

#2417 5 years ago

GAP is lucky my pocket is empty at this time otherwise i'd be getting more Gottlieb wide-bodies. Like my two but wouldn't hurt to have more. I see that many at once and think of the stories of the gottlieb god steve @blownfuse. Hope these all find a good home.

#2418 5 years ago

Close encounters problem. Never had this problem before. All coils are non working. Game boots up. no 5 second click due to all coils dead. You can start a game if ball not in outlane (otherwise offcourse it say stuck switch due to non working coil). No sound in the game. I have a janin all in one in it. Bridge rectifiers are all good. Fuses are good. So all controlled and non controlled coils are not working. Bad transformer?
Also a question about displays. Displays are recharged, looks good when everything says 000000 but when the janin flashes topscores and so on then the segments that are supposed to be dark is a bit light up...this is for all displays

#2419 5 years ago
Quoted from Andreas:

Close encounters problem. Never had this problem before. All coils are non working. Game boots up. no 5 second click due to all coils dead. You can start a game if ball not in outlane (otherwise offcourse it say stuck switch due to non working coil). No sound in the game. I have a janin all in one in it. Bridge rectifiers are all good. Fuses are good. So all controlled and non controlled coils are not working. Bad transformer?
Also a question about displays. Displays are recharged, looks good when everything says 000000 but when the janin flashes topscores and so on then the segments that are supposed to be dark is a bit light up...this is for all displays

20180918_182213 (resized).jpg20180918_182213 (resized).jpg20180918_182217 (resized).jpg20180918_182217 (resized).jpg
#2420 5 years ago
Quoted from Andreas:

Game boots up. no 5 second click due to all coils dead. You can start a game if ball not in outlane (otherwise offcourse it say stuck switch due to non working coil). No sound in the game. I have a janin all in one in it. Bridge rectifiers are all good. Fuses are good. So all controlled and non controlled coils are not working. Bad transformer?

Do you have schematic ? On my SpiderMan there are 2 relays in line with power to flipper coils (and possibly others... don’t remember). They are in an assembly under the playfield on the end near the flippers. One is tilt and one is something like “game on” . One is normally open and the other normally closed. Check that they are both clean and making contact when they are supppsed to. I’ve have problems before with them preventing power to coils.

Check power at bridge source for the coils (12v or 24v I think) if you have it then follow the line through power board connectors (not sure it goes through board or directly to coils) and relays etc until you find where it drops out.

Edit: if bridge rectifiers are good and you see power on all of them then transformer is good since they are further back in the line.

#2421 5 years ago

Finally finished my Bad Girls and I'm pretty psyched about it. Awesome game!

It got the full led treatment. With some tasteless details, like cold white GI and hot pink flashers. This game just begs for stuff like that.

Gotta love the 80's badness in this part of the game room!
IMG_20180922_184150 (resized).jpgIMG_20180922_184150 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180922_183947 (resized).jpgIMG_20180922_183947 (resized).jpg

#2422 5 years ago

Still having trouble with these Spring Break displays— So I understand that the ram might be bad as to why there is garbage in the number one high score info, but now most of the time the display only flashes both glasses quickly on start up then goes blank, or it will work for a couple games and quit, or it just won’t light up at all on power up. Occasionally it will sit there working for about an hour and then just start throwing garbage all over both displays until I reset the game as well. I have rebuilt the connectors. Any ideas on where to go next?

#2423 5 years ago
Quoted from REGNE:

They are all on "Return 1". It's 611 color wire at pin A1J6-11. see if you have good continuity back to A1. Check at a board trace to eliminate edge connector as a concern. If no, then wiring problem.
If yes, then "Return 1" traces to chip Z13 pin 9 on the A1. That's a 7400. probably bad. You can check it using a multimeter on diode test. Reference pinwiki for proper testing.

Alright, I just replaced the MPU board and the problem is fixed. Looks like the z13 chip seat was the issue...

#2424 5 years ago

The tilt pendelum does not work. Correct me if Im wrong but you dont need the switch connected for the tilt pendelum to work do you?. None of the colors that should go to the missing switch goes to the tilt pendelum. What can cause a tilt to not work on a solar ride? a diod? I have janin all in one installed.

cheers

Screenshot_20180924-202939_Messenger (resized).jpgScreenshot_20180924-202939_Messenger (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2425 5 years ago

This is something I have thought about for a while, solderless ground mods. I tried one out on a 80A today. It works just fine. Now I'm trying to see if it's not a good idea.

the harnessIMG_20181001_180744224 (resized).jpgIMG_20181001_180744224 (resized).jpg

ConnectedIMG_20181001_181748395 (resized).jpgIMG_20181001_181748395 (resized).jpgIMG_20181001_181754975 (resized).jpgIMG_20181001_181754975 (resized).jpg

Thoughts?

To be clear I have no issues with modifying the boards to apply ground mods. I do know several pinheads who wouldn't feel comfortable doing this though.

#2426 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

This is something I have thought about for a while, solderless ground mods. I tried one out on a 80A today. It works just fine. Now I'm trying to see if it's not a good idea.
the harness[quoted image]
Connected[quoted image][quoted image]
Thoughts?
To be clear I have no issues with modifying the boards to apply ground mods. I do know several pinheads who wouldn't feel comfortable doing this though.

If nothing else it would be good to have one of these for trouble shooting. I can think of a couple people who work on pins that may want one. Clip it on to see if it clears the issues and then go back through after with the more permanent mods.

#2427 5 years ago

I agree. It is a great tool but not really a long term solution. Those little test leads don’t have a lot of bite. I use something similar now for testing but my connecting components are insulated alligator clips. I think it is a fine piece of test equipment.

#2428 5 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

If nothing else it would be good to have one of these for trouble shooting. I can think of a couple people who work on pins that may want one. Clip it on to see if it clears the issues and then go back through after with the more permanent mods.

Interesting thing about using it as a test tool is it doesn't need to go to every board. Power supply, driver board and power supply to strap should be enough to validate.

Also make a good temp fix until you can take the machine offline.

I'm going to do some more tests on some of my friends machines.

#2429 5 years ago

A friend has a haunted house that only makes one sound. I had tested his sound card in my machine and it works ok. Seems that the issue is either wiring or in the CPU board. The sounds had been working. I'm going to try his CPU board in my game first. From looking at the schematics it looks like z31 7408 z27 7404 or u6 6532 chips could be at fault. Has anyone run into a similar problem?

#2430 5 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

A friend has a haunted house that only makes one sound. I had tested his sound card in my machine and it works ok. Seems that the issue is either wiring or in the CPU board. The sounds had been working. I'm going to try his CPU board in my game first. From looking at the schematics it looks like z31 7408 z27 7404 or u6 6532 chips could be at fault. Has anyone run into a similar problem?

Check all the pins on J4 of the mpu, J1 and J5 of the driver board and J1 on the sound board. Tired worn out pins can cause all sorts of problems.

#2431 5 years ago

Hi guys

I was about to replace my flaky A2 power board on Night Moves.

Noticed that even with the power OFF game UNPUGGED from the wall I am still reading 12v+ at the connector supplying the A2 board ????

Huh ???? Is this normal ? I don't want to do anything else in case there is some other issue needs addressing.

EDIT - nothing to worry about apparently. Someone more knowledgeable than me just confirmed it's the capacitor in the bottom of the cab holding charge.

#2432 5 years ago

I borrowed a friends James Bond MPU and put it in Circus. It booted fine and I got to play the strangest game of Circus anyone has ever played. But, the flippers worked just fine so that’s all I wanted to do.

So now that I know my MPU is still not working what are my options?

#2433 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

So now that I know my MPU is still not working what are my options?

You can trace down the problem and fix it or you can get a replacement board. Personally if I were to go the new board route, I'd get a 4 in 1 from pascal. I have one in my circus and I love it. I've also got the original boards that are fully functional should I later decide to sell.

#2434 5 years ago

OK so I do have a head scratcher with my Night Moves.

The 5v coming off the A2 board was really low.Reading around 0.5v - 0.8v depending on the pot adjustment. Consequently game not booting.

With the 12v connector unplugged from the A2 power board I measure around 14V.

As soon as 12v connector is connected to the A2 board it drops to around 1.6v. This is with or without the 5v connector attached.

Now exactly the same happens when connecting a new replacement board.

Any ideas ?

#2435 5 years ago

Added encouragement for ground mods. Buddy of mine has a tx sector that wouldn't kick a ball on start and acted like switches weren't hit during a game. On a whim I grabbed a bunch of test leads and connected the grounds to the ground strap and most of these problems went away. Time to break out some wire and do some ground mods.

He thought he didn't need to do this because the power supply and mpu were aftermarket.

Now we have 2 issues left. No power to slings and kickers and no speech.

#2436 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Added encouragement for ground mods. Buddy of mine has a tx sector that wouldn't kick a ball on start and acted like switches weren't hit during a game. On a whim I grabbed a bunch of test leads and connected the grounds to the ground strap and most of these problems went away. Time to break out some wire and do some ground mods.
He thought he didn't need to do this because the power supply and mpu were aftermarket.
Now we have 2 issues left. No power to slings and kickers and no speech.

Check out my advice on the ground mods for Raven..
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-raven-new-project-machine
I still need to add this info to Pinwiki.
Maybe someone is willing to help me with the Pinwiki...

#2437 5 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Check out my advice on the ground mods for Raven..
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-raven-new-project-machine
I still need to add this info to Pinwiki.
Maybe someone is willing to help me with the Pinwiki...

Righteous! Thanks for this

#2438 5 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

OK so I do have a head scratcher with my Night Moves.
The 5v coming off the A2 board was really low.Reading around 0.5v - 0.8v depending on the pot adjustment. Consequently game not booting.
With the 12v connector unplugged from the A2 power board I measure around 14V.
As soon as 12v connector is connected to the A2 board it drops to around 1.6v. This is with or without the 5v connector attached.
Now exactly the same happens when connecting a new replacement board.
Any ideas ?

SOLVED

Bad ground connection at the 12v bridge.

#2439 5 years ago

Hi guys,
I am helping a friend fix a Genie and I am a little stuck. He has all new boards (niwumpf)
But something is off. All the voltages I am reading are about half of what is stated on the transformer. I am testing from transformer terninal lugs to a ground plane in the cabinet. The one all the ground wires run to. At startup, the coil for the drops fires but not strong enough to reset, so maybe something is off with the transformer.
Also I have a transformer for a sys 80a but not sure that they are compatible. In fact I think they are not? Any help would be appreciated.

#2440 5 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Hi guys,
I am helping a friend fix a Genie and I am a little stuck. He has all new boards (niwumpf)
But something is off. All the voltages I am reading are about half of what is stated on the transformer. I am testing from transformer terninal lugs to a ground plane in the cabinet. The one all the ground wires run to. At startup, the coil for the drops fires but not strong enough to reset, so maybe something is off with the transformer.
Also I have a transformer for a sys 80a but not sure that they are compatible. In fact I think they are not? Any help would be appreciated.

ok The issue is you are only testing half the voltage. The transformers output VAC as that is what they are receiving on the input side. To get total voltage you have to measure across the pair to lugs for that voltage on the transformer.

One thing to look at with these weird voltages is the fuse blocks. Find the wire that goes to 1 side of the fuse. Measure from the opposite lug on the transformer (see below) to the side of the fuse connected to the other lug. Then switch your lead to the other side of the fuse. If the voltage drops then tarnish on the fise and block has enough resistance to drop the voltage and the fuse holder should be replaced.

Take a look at this image (on page 10): http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/PDF%20Pinball%20Misc/System%201%20Schematics.pdf

to measure ~14VAC off the transformer put your DMM on V AC and test from 3 to 7 on the transformer. 4 to 6 will get you ~11.5. The final voltage you care about on this transformer is 69 VAC from 8 to 9

None of these voltages are DC until they go through the bridge rectifiers.

You can also measure at the A2J1 connector (disconnected from the power supply) Follow these instructions:

Set DMM to VAC
Turn Machine On
Black to Ground
Red to J1 Pin 1 & 2 ~12 VAC each
Red to J1 Pin 4 & 5 ~14 VAC each
Black to J1 Pin 6
Red to J1 Pin 7 ~69 VAC
Turn Machine Off

This transformer won't work for a system 1 based upon the schematics alone. Here's one for a sys 80 https://www.flippers.com/images/Gott-pwr.gif . You get 12 VAC instead of 15 VAC for 3 & 7 but 4 & 6 aren't present. 8 & 9 are present but at 60 VAC and not 69.

Here's the only thread I can find with the question of using a Sys 80 transformer in a Sys 1. It doesn't have a definitive answer.

Good luck. Let me know if you need any more info

#2441 5 years ago

Thanks, I mostly have sys 11's myself so I am not tol familiar with Gottliebs. In attract mode his knocker kinda twitches but not actually firing. His board is set to Genie. The kickout does not fire, but if I eject the ball manually, it seemingly works without sound. I found a diode shorted to a piece of metal on the ball kickout, so maybe he damaged his new board. If I drain it advances to ball 2. Again, eject by hand but if I drain ball 2 it resets. Has a new power board too.

#2442 5 years ago

Do any new System 80 MPUs come with NVRAM? I actually have some on my Circus MPU, but want to get a new one to get the game up and running while I try to fix the original one.

#2443 5 years ago

Hey Sys80B Guys! Maybe you can offer help.
My Night Moves display has a single leg that seems locked on throughout the entire display. I have no clue where to start looking or what to do to fix this.

Any help is appreciated! If I am supposed to test something please try and be very specific where the test points are, much appreciated!

I have done the grounding mod as well.

B8F3C364-50E1-4859-B43D-CDC3A5C75FB0.jpegB8F3C364-50E1-4859-B43D-CDC3A5C75FB0.jpeg
#2444 5 years ago

Can anyone tell me the component number of the resistor at the top of this stack? I have a sys 1 manual but the sound board does not have a component map. Also it reads 1.7 M ohms and that mathes the bands but I do not see anything that high in the schematic. Trying to fix sound in this Genie now.

#2445 5 years ago
20181010_185216 (resized).jpg20181010_185216 (resized).jpg20181010_185220 (resized).jpg20181010_185220 (resized).jpg
#2446 5 years ago

There is a 1.8 meg and a 2.7 meg that go to U5, the NE555 timer.

Screenshot_20181011-080635_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20181011-080635_Chrome (resized).jpg
#2447 5 years ago

Thanks. Trying to figure out sound. Got this Genie working except 3 of the 5 flippers are not firing and no sound. The sound board is the only original board.

#2448 5 years ago

Also I know these are rarely needed but I have a transformer from a sys 80a if anyone needs one.

c8e936b576028cd20ee65b658477696e4931e7a1 (resized).jpgc8e936b576028cd20ee65b658477696e4931e7a1 (resized).jpg
#2449 5 years ago

I just completed the ground mod on my Sys80B Night Moves and now instead of having a working, playing game with no music, I now have a game that lights up and doesn’t do anything else. Won’t coin up, won’t self-test NOTHING. I’m pretty upset over it :/ I thought the ground mod would help and it’s made it so much worse

#2450 5 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I just completed the sound mod on my Sys80B Night Moves and now instead of having a working, playing game with no music, I now have a game that lights up and doesn’t do anything else. Won’t coin up, won’t self-test NOTHING. I’m pretty upset over it :/ I thought the ground mod would help and it’s made it so much worse

Ground mods are not needed in those late system 80B games. Especially using the 5V heatsink as a groundplane is WRONG. Is there 5V present over the 100uF cap on the CPU board?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn
Toys/Add-ons
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 50.00
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Saint Clair, PA
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,524 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/49?hl=andreas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.