(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Sammer
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 131.
#2251 5 years ago
Quoted from Andreas:

Can someone take a picture of torch toneboard and totem toneboard. I need to see whats printed on the soundrom cause I got awful sound from my torch and I need info on totem cause mine is missing. Any good replacement boards just for the tone?

Sound-Proms have the same imprint as game-Proms ...

SYS1 PROMS Overview (resized).pngSYS1 PROMS Overview (resized).png

Here is the best replacement board just for the tone, a Pascal Janin master piece:

https://www.flippp.fr/pifx1.php

#2252 5 years ago

So is the jury returned on if you can run a NiWumpf CPU with Rottendog driver board in a System 1? I'm not finding a definitive answer & I've got a Sinbad with that setup that won't kick from the outhole despite a good solid 25v at the coil and good continuity from the driverboard to ground side. Not sure how to tab test a rottendog driver transistor in game with it running so I can't be 100% certain yet but wanted to see if I 'm chasing my tail with the NiWumpf in there anyway like it might not be communicating right with the driver board? Read something about lights not firing but wasn't sure if it could cause a coil issue too. It's an early NiWumpf too, a revision M with a 3 digit SR#. Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this for me.

#2253 5 years ago
Quoted from Zorak:

So is the jury returned on if you can run a NiWumpf CPU with Rottendog driver board in a System 1? I'm not finding a definitive answer & I've got a Sinbad with that setup that won't kick from the outhole despite a good solid 25v at the coil and good continuity from the driverboard to ground side. Not sure how to tab test a rottendog driver transistor in game with it running so I can't be 100% certain yet but wanted to see if I 'm chasing my tail with the NiWumpf in there anyway like it might not be communicating right with the driver board? Read something about lights not firing but wasn't sure if it could cause a coil issue too. It's an early NiWumpf too, a revision M with a 3 digit SR#. Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this for me.

I have a rottendog driver on my roller disco and the left drop reset coil isn’t firing. Stock cpu board but I’d be curious on troubleshooting as well. I’m so sick of this that I’m about to buy a pascal all in one and be done with it.

#2254 5 years ago

Hey guys my night moves screen went out while idling, and I noticed the red light on one of the boards that is usually blinking isn’t anymore. Lost sound at the same time. Flippers still flip though. Any suggestions?

2B4E5A63-8C6E-424F-9542-4CF9780046C5 (resized).jpeg2B4E5A63-8C6E-424F-9542-4CF9780046C5 (resized).jpeg
#2255 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I’m about to buy a pascal all in one and be done with it.

same here

#2256 5 years ago
Quoted from luckycreature:

Hey guys my night moves screen went out while idling, and I noticed the red light on one of the boards that is usually blinking isn’t anymore. Lost sound at the same time. Flippers still flip though. Any suggestions?
[quoted image]

And this morning when I went downstairs it boots fine. Is it possible something is overheating and if so where should I start?

#2257 5 years ago
Quoted from luckycreature:

And this morning when I went downstairs it boots fine. Is it possible something is overheating and if so where should I start?

Usually leds are voltage checks. I would make sure you have correct voltage at the power board, then the correct voltage at each other board; cpu and driver

#2258 5 years ago

How are the all-in-one boards for System 80? Highly recommended?

#2259 5 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

The pascal board is freaking amazing. I have one for my black hole. I think they recently got the sound board module to be incorporated too, but that would need to be verified. So many nice features like high score and the menu, also troubleshooting

#2260 5 years ago

Anyone know where I can download eprom 0 for tag team pinball?

#2261 5 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Anyone know where I can download eprom 0 for tag team pinball?

You can download the freeplay gameroms from here:

https://www.flipprojets.fr/Proms80B_EN.php

#2262 5 years ago
Quoted from Zorak:

Ace at NiWumph told me no. When I tried in my Joker Poker, I had issues. There is something incompatible between the 2 per Ace. He might have told me what, but I don't remember. Reach out to him, he is great.

#2263 5 years ago

I know of the free play ones.

I need the one from pic that says prom O.

7A291B33-DA51-488B-8637-2B1B25FFF033 (resized).jpeg7A291B33-DA51-488B-8637-2B1B25FFF033 (resized).jpeg
#2264 5 years ago

Prom 1 is the one I switch out with the free play one?

#2265 5 years ago

If a game (solar ride) kills the house fuse directly when turned on where do I start looking then? Cable looks good going into the game. Trafos?

#2266 5 years ago
Quoted from german-pinball:

Sound-Proms have the same imprint as game-Proms ...
[quoted image]
Here is the best replacement board just for the tone, a Pascal Janin master piece:
https://www.flippp.fr/pifx1.php

Can I use a sys 80 soundcard or a gen1 sys 1 soundcard instead?
Otherwise I will buy from janin.

#2267 5 years ago
Quoted from Andreas:

If a game (solar ride) kills the house fuse directly when turned on where do I start looking then? Cable looks good going into the game. Trafos?

I figured that was a Swedish word that didn't get translated. Trafos = transformers.

#2268 5 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I figured that was a Swedish word that didn't get translated. Trafos = transformers.

Thanx

#2269 5 years ago
Quoted from Andreas:

I'd say remove the cable, and use a multimeter in continuity mode (beeps when the circuit is closed) to check the cable, and where it goes into the transformers, to see if either is shorted. Also, check to see if the service outlet is clear, and that the internal fuses haven't been replaced with things like screws or foil.

#2270 5 years ago
Quoted from LynnInDenver:

I'd say remove the cable, and use a multimeter in continuity mode (beeps when the circuit is closed) to check the cable, and where it goes into the transformers, to see if either is shorted. Also, check to see if the service outlet is clear, and that the internal fuses haven't been replaced with things like screws or foil.

Screws or foil?! Sounds like the chart is needed.

mFeWuBeaPrvDMdBDUXMRcupjFZT03APYajx3ec7I3Uo (resized).jpgmFeWuBeaPrvDMdBDUXMRcupjFZT03APYajx3ec7I3Uo (resized).jpg
#2271 5 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Screws or foil?! Sounds like the chart is needed.
[quoted image]

THIS, made me laugh....thanks

#2272 5 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Awesome My spiderman is a new game with it

#2273 5 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

THIS, made me laugh....thanks

I had lost this image and when searching for it, came across a fun discussion on a Reddit thread linked to this image asking, I believe, an electrical engineer if these values listed were close. They aren't...something about melting points and science way beyond the science I was able to stay awake for in high school.

On topic, clown #3 bit the dust on my Circus , but after 38 years he certainly fought the good fight. I bought a new set of targets and found a few guides online for removing the banks. I guess everything from Gottlieb EM's up to System 80B are about the same as far as removal? The guides I found didn't seem to give much System-centric advice so I'll get to that this weekend. I did sneak in a few quick flipper upgrades and now I'm ripping the spinner pretty well. The left saucer was also getting kinda lonely with weak flippers so it's seeing more action too.

#2274 5 years ago

hey pin heads, I just got a System one Dragon, and I love it. great art work! but just noticed that its not recording high scores. in place of the high score it shows a digit that's almost a 5 or almost a 9. it came this way. it has also been Rigged up to be on free play, it looks like the credit switch has been attached to the start button. so every time you hit the start button, it takes a credit and then gives a credit. not sure if the problem and this hack are related just thought id share what I know. Thanks

#2275 5 years ago

anyone have any leads on a lock down bar and/or side rails for a system 1 in good shape? I could use 2 sets of each. I'm also looking for 1 or 2 white apron for system 1 in good/great shape.

#2276 5 years ago

Solar ride issue:

The 2 kickouthole and droptarget coils locks on when turning on the machine. Remove the a1-j7 and its ok. Coils read what I do belive is the correct ohm.
How do I massure what is causing this in the a1-j7
I have tried 2 mpu boards and 2 driver boards...dont know if somthing is killing the driverbord or its somthing else.

Thankful for help

#2277 5 years ago
Quoted from Andreas:

Solar ride issue:
The 2 kickouthole and droptarget coils locks on when turning on the machine. Remove the a1-j7 and its ok. Coils read what I do belive is the correct ohm.
I have tried 2 mpu boards and 2 driver boards...dont know if somthing is killing the driverbord or its somthing else.
Thankful for help

The outholecoil is also on

#2278 5 years ago
Quoted from TwoHeartedMale:

hey pin heads, I just got a System one Dragon, and I love it. great art work! but just noticed that its not recording high scores. in place of the high score it shows a digit that's almost a 5 or almost a 9. it came this way. it has also been Rigged up to be on free play, it looks like the credit switch has been attached to the start button. so every time you hit the start button, it takes a credit and then gives a credit. not sure if the problem and this hack are related just thought id share what I know. Thanks

Go into Book keeping and clear the high score to date. The odd characters are probably a hexidecimal value greater than 9 so you can never top it.

#2279 5 years ago

My workshop right now

20180809_194423 (resized).jpg20180809_194423 (resized).jpg
#2280 5 years ago
Quoted from Andreas:

My workshop right now

Looks like you better get to working!

#2281 5 years ago

Helping a buddy out with his project Gold Wings. First SS Gottlieb I've dealt with, displays are out/missing. Pinball Resource says they're out of stock. What recourse do I have, eBay or want ad? TIA.

#2282 5 years ago
Quoted from Andreas:

The outholecoil is also on

Quoted from Andreas:

Solar ride issue:
Thankful for help

Does the tone board also lock on for all three tones? That's on the same solenoid circuit bank as the drop coil, kickouts, and outhole, because Solar Ride supports being retrofitted for chimes.

Check the voltages going to the MPU. You should have 5V and -12V rails. Not having one or both might be enough to cause it to lock on; a failed power supply rebuild I did resulted in the machine locking all computer controlled coils on power up.

Check for loose wires in both sides of the harness between the MPU and the driver. Check continuity between both ends of the harness for each wire. If you haven't, either repin both ends of the harness, or buy a replacement with the inline diodes.

#2283 5 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Go into Book keeping and clear the high score to date. The odd characters are probably a hexidecimal value greater than 9 so you can never top it.

if i change the battery out will this have the same effect?

#2284 5 years ago

Hey everyone!

I recently picked up a spiderman and Im having a hell of a time getting this going.

When I turn on the game only the bottom two displays light up and the credit display lights up 8s. My MPU board looks pretty clean, but Im not sure if its good.

I recapped the power supply and changed out all the header pins on it and Im getting the right voltages. Ive repinned about half of the connectors so I will keep going on them, but I would think I could get the game to boot without the rest done.

If some of you system 80 wizards could guide me, that would be amazing

#2285 5 years ago
Quoted from vaevictis:

Helping a buddy out with his project Gold Wings. First SS Gottlieb I've dealt with, displays are out/missing. Pinball Resource says they're out of stock. What recourse do I have, eBay or want ad? TIA.

Man I wasn’t aware there were no displays made. There’s a couple out of date fs posts on pinside selling them but this could be cool

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mypinballs-new-project-2018-80b-display-replacement-with-extras

#2286 5 years ago
Quoted from LynnInDenver:

Does the tone board also lock on for all three tones? That's on the same solenoid circuit bank as the drop coil, kickouts, and outhole, because Solar Ride supports being retrofitted for chimes.
Check the voltages going to the MPU. You should have 5V and -12V rails. Not having one or both might be enough to cause it to lock on; a failed power supply rebuild I did resulted in the machine locking all computer controlled coils on power up.
Check for loose wires in both sides of the harness between the MPU and the driver. Check continuity between both ends of the harness for each wire. If you haven't, either repin both ends of the harness, or buy a replacement with the inline diodes.

Thank you so much for your help

Bad powersupp was the problem...even though it put out the right voltage :/

#2287 5 years ago
Quoted from vaevictis:

https://www.bostonpinballcompany.com/displays.htm

#2288 5 years ago

I'm trying to resolve an issue on a B-20887-1 sound/speech board for a friends Haunted House. It is running the original ROMs without an SC-01 speech chip.

The board works but the sound quality is horrible. The capacitors are fine. Only one was out of spec and replaced but that didn't correct the problem. It looks like the board has the factory jumpers and resistors on the back as it should. I don't see any other prior work or hacks on the board. I don't know if R13 had been adjusted and if that is set to either extreme if that would result in poor sound.

If I had to explain the way it sounds it seems like maybe a bit or two aren't being passed through to the DAC but that is just a guess at this point. What is the most common parts to fail? Looking at the LM379S, LM741, DAC1408, 74LS75 chips.

How are you bench testing these? I have a nice variable supply with three outputs so it would be nice to power and test on the bench to see if all the data lines are working through to the DAC1408.

It looks like I can still get the DAC1408 and LM379S but would rather do those last since those add up and are getting harder too find.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

#2289 5 years ago

I thought they'd have it too, but they only have sys1 and sys80. Gold wings is a sys80b

gottlieb-pinball-system-80-display-ma_1_c7042fd1b34129eb321dff058463e7a0 (resized).jpggottlieb-pinball-system-80-display-ma_1_c7042fd1b34129eb321dff058463e7a0 (resized).jpg
#2290 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I thought they'd have it too, but they only have sys1 and sys80. Gold wings is a sys80b
[quoted image]

Yeah it's a System 80B-are we SOL?

#2291 5 years ago
Quoted from vaevictis:

Yeah it's a System 80B-are we SOL?

Quoted from northvibe:

Man I wasn’t aware there were no displays made. There’s a couple out of date fs posts on pinside selling them but this could be cool
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mypinballs-new-project-2018-80b-display-replacement-with-extras

I would love to see this guy get the lcd working. Yeah, until then, refurbing or buying used are the other way I guess. :/ sad when you can't fix a game easily. I have a friend who loves Top Gun and Miami Heat, so I've been looking for a gold wings or hollywood heat to bring to his house and if I can't fix it...that would suck.

#2292 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I would love to see this guy get the lcd working. Yeah, until then, refurbing or buying used are the other way I guess. :/ sad when you can't fix a game easily. I have a friend who loves Top Gun and Miami Heat, so I've been looking for a gold wings or hollywood heat to bring to his house and if I can't fix it...that would suck.

Thanks for the heads up. Kinda what I feared. My buddy worked with F-14s at one point during his career, so the Gold Wings is perfect for him.

#2293 5 years ago
Quoted from vaevictis:

My buddy worked with F-14s at one point during his career,

F-14 Tomcat would have been dead on for him.

#2294 5 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

F-14 Tomcat would have been dead on for him.

Ya it’s a good game but 3x the price sometimes..... although doesn’t gw’s have the flippers offset to the right?

#2295 5 years ago
Quoted from TwoHeartedMale:

if i change the battery out will this have the same effect?

No, that's how it started. When battery power is lost, the 5101 ram powers up with garbage in it. You need to go through and clear and set free game score values AND the High score to date.

#2296 5 years ago

I owned GW for 7 years.
It is a lot of fun when dialed in and working well.

#2297 5 years ago

I need to replace the bolts that secure the head to the cabinet on my system 1 and system 80. Anyone have recommendations?

#2298 5 years ago

Just saved this
Before and after

20180805_172234 (resized).jpg20180805_172234 (resized).jpg20180811_151007 (resized).jpg20180811_151007 (resized).jpg
#2299 5 years ago

Very nice, how do you like the play?

#2300 5 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Very nice, how do you like the play?

I have one in my collection but had to save this one

I like it slot...a simple but fun gsme

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

1,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sullivan, WI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/46?hl=srcdube and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.