(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,539 posts
  • 650 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 32 hours ago by bajm
  • Topic is favorited by 322 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg
IMG_5720(1) (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,539 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 131.
#2051 5 years ago
Quoted from PhillyBilly:

So I put a 2.5 A in I’ve left the game on and it’s not locking on and the banks are working well and no blown fuse yet. The only problem I’m seeing now with the 2.5 A in is it might take 3-5 times to turn on fully. If it doesn’t I’ll hear some strange noises and the slam tilt or knocker, knocks but it turns after a few on and offs and and works great so far. I’m fine with having to click it on a few times as long as it consistently works

Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

That fuse should not have anything to do with turning the game on. I would check the voltages on your power supply. Also, how do the pins look on the cable going from the power supply to the MPU? If it they look iffy replace them or just buy a new cable.

Ya I agree with mad dog

Follow this
http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/index.htm#power

They walk through how to test power from the power cord to the cpu board, and what to do if there is an issue. Has been GREAT help getting my friends roller disco going.

#2052 5 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

That fuse should not have anything to do with turning the game on. I would check the voltages on your power supply. Also, how do the pins look on the cable going from the power supply to the MPU? If it they look iffy replace them or just buy a new cable.

voltages were all good on the PS and pins seem fine.

all stock boards

thanks ill look into the power

#2053 5 years ago

You will be back.

#2054 5 years ago

So I recapped my power supply cause I had a lot so why not. It’s still turning on currently here and there but not much has changed until it blew my 1amp primary fuse next to me transformer so I put back the other power supply I had which works fine it seems and I checked the bridges one was reading between .4 and .6 from both ground and + but the other one was reading about .393 from both ground and + is that a big enough difference for it to affect the game? Should I replace it?

#2055 5 years ago

Hi All,

Is it ok to have 72Vac coming from the small transformer to the power supply board, will the power supply board be able to handle the 3 extra volts or do I need to drop the voltage slightly so it's 69Vac.

Any help would be great.

#2056 5 years ago

I recently got everything working 100% on my pinball pool. I decided to play a game or 2 last night and wound up playing it for an hour. Its really a fun challenging game. I think I like it better than my joker poker.

#2057 5 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

I recently got everything working 100% on my pinball pool. I decided to play a game or 2 last night and wound up playing it for an hour. Its really a fun challenging game. I think I like it better than my joker poker.

blasphemer! Pinball Pool is definitely very fun, as is Joker Poker I'm glad I have both. I recently added a gottlieb chime unit to my pinball pool and like it even better with chimes. I have one for Countdown as well just need to finish the install then all my system 1's will be chimes.

#2058 5 years ago
Quoted from LGFAutos:

Hi All,
Is it ok to have 72Vac coming from the small transformer to the power supply board, will the power supply board be able to handle the 3 extra volts or do I need to drop the voltage slightly so it's 69Vac.
Any help would be great.

Hello,

Is this for your System 1? As a rule, transformers are seldom the problem. They just normally work. Testing voltage on them is a little challenging. without knowing the details I would say you are well within specs.

#2059 5 years ago

Sorry Mad_Dog_Coin_Op,

Yes it is it's for Charlie's Angels.

Tested both of the tags on the back of the transformer with it unplugged from the power supply board. I think I read somewhere about 72vac, so I thought I would ask first before I plugged it back in. As they say better to be safe than sorry after rebuilding the power supply.

#2060 5 years ago

How concerning is it if my Bridge rectifier is reading .393 instead of between .4-.6? Replace? Or is it fine?
Also my 2 12A fuses have covers around the glass. is that normal?

#2061 5 years ago
Quoted from PhillyBilly:

How concerning is it if my Bridge rectifier is reading .393 instead of between .4-.6? Replace? Or is it fine?
Also my 2 12A fuses have covers around the glass. is that normal?

Spec is .4-.6, so it wouldn’t hurt to replace it.

Covers? Like paper screwed down to cover them? If that is the case, yes, pretty normal for high amp fuses to have a cover

#2062 5 years ago
Quoted from LGFAutos:

Sorry Mad_Dog_Coin_Op,
Yes it is it's for Charlie's Angels.
Tested both of the tags on the back of the transformer with it unplugged from the power supply board. I think I read somewhere about 72vac, so I thought I would ask first before I plugged it back in. As they say better to be safe than sorry after rebuilding the power supply.

Follow the testing in
http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/index.htm#power

You’ll want to unplug all plugs from power supply board. Power game on, do tests, and then turn game off, plug only the cab power to the psu, run tests on the psu test points and make sure the pots are adjusted to output the correct voltage, then you can power off and plug game boards in once confirmed

#2063 5 years ago

Not sure if this is already in the thread but if someone is looking for sys80 manuals there is a pdf of Gottlieb Amazing Spiderman user manual here:

http://www.gametronik.com/site/fiche/pinmame/Spiderman/

I knew there was one out there somewhere, 'cause I have a copy. Unobtanium from ipdb due to the blue meanies.

#2064 5 years ago
Quoted from srcdube:

So... need to figure out what’s keeping the coil locked on.

Have you done the recommended Ground mods to all your boards? What you are experiencing is typical of when the ground potential for the driver board changes in relationship to the source voltage (MPU Board and Regulator board) which can allow the PNP driver on the playfield to get just enough voltage to "hold" a coil but not actually fully energize one. So, with a DT reset, it gets pulled in and then doesn't let go even though the MPU thinks it turned it off.

Your 2.5A fusing is risking not only the life of the DT Reset coil, but also the drivers on the driver board. Chances are, while the coil draws more than 2Amps it doesn't draw the full 2.5 amps so the fuse does not blow. Instead, the coil will heat up, start burning enamel off the windings, start to short windings to windings, reduce the Ohms, increase the current draw, and then start blowing the higher rated fuse. That's if it doesn't melt its nylon sleeve first (unless it has the old Brass ones).

#2065 5 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Have you done the recommended Ground mods to all your boards? What you are experiencing is typical of when the ground potential for the driver board changes in relationship to the source voltage (MPU Board and Regulator board) which can allow the PNP driver on the playfield to get just enough voltage to "hold" a coil but not actually fully energize one. So, with a DT reset, it gets pulled in and then doesn't let go even though the MPU thinks it turned it off.
Your 2.5A fusing is risking not only the life of the DT Reset coil, but also the drivers on the driver board. Chances are, while the coil draws more than 2Amps it doesn't draw the full 2.5 amps so the fuse does not blow. Instead, the coil will heat up, start burning enamel off the windings, start to short windings to windings, reduce the Ohms, increase the current draw, and then start blowing the higher rated fuse. That's if it doesn't melt its nylon sleeve first (unless it has the old Brass ones).

I do have all the ground mods one the back box boards, (not the sound board yet) but an hour ago I changed the diode on the coil with a new one and put back the 2A fuse and ive played about 10 games so far and everything is working and the game is turning on every try. cross your finders for me.

#2066 5 years ago
Quoted from Midniterider:

Cross posted this over in the TECH: Early Solid State forums as well. I thought I would reach out to the fellow pinsiders, experts, and veterans for some assistance.
Just purchased a 1980 Gottlieb Counterforce pinball machine that has upgraded boards and is functional, however there are about 6 controlled lamps (green multipliers) that are not working properly —-> very dim when they are powered up. I thought I would reach out to the experts & veterans on these forums as I am a newbie. They were tested with a DMM, and they are getting power, but not enough to light them fully. The irony is The original MPU was replaced with a Swermmer board, and the original driver board was replaced with a Ni-Wumph board. In addition, the Swermmer board is connected to the Ni-Wumph driver board with a ribbon cable (instead of the original Gottlieb multi-wire connector — so there should be no issue with a worn / corroded / damaged pin causing problems with the signal going to the driver board.
I inspected the A3 - J3 plug connector and did notice (1) lamp pin connector (one of the problem lamps) was replaced with standard Molex edge connector pin (System 1) and not the Molex 08-03-0304 bifurcated edge connector pin. Could this incorrect pin cause problems or issues? Is this be some sort of ground issue? Defective lamp sockets? I have the Counterforce manual with schematics, and they show the controlled lamp signal coming from the driver board to the map but then ties into a common connection — but it does not look like a ground (on schematic). However, in reality the wire comes into light socket the goes to stapled ground wire, which is tied into all the other multiplier controlled lamps. Therefore, I do not think it is a ground issue because all lamps would have issues. Could this be defective pins on the edge connector for these lamps? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: Trying to troubleshoot and pinpoint this controlled lamp issue, trying to narrow down the possibilities. Repinned all the grounds and trouble lamps, in addition to the opposite side sides (in order to provide good pressure / contact against the edge connectors — sort of Gottlieb grounding issue on the MPU - Driver board harness) on the A3-J3 harness. I even located and used the proper bifurcated edge connector pins, and corrected the other standard pins on the harness. Energized the game, and problem still exists. So I know there is good contact on the edge connectors for all lamps in question and the grounds (on that harness). Looking for any tech support or advice. It is greatly appreciated.

#2067 5 years ago

Do they light up all purty if you ground them by hand?

#2068 5 years ago
Quoted from supermoot:

Do they light up all purty if you ground them by hand?

Tried running a jumper wire from (what I am assuming is ground) the stapled bare wire that is attached / soldered to the socket mount “L” (where sockets are secured to wood and is connecting all the bulbs in a chain ) to the main grounding plate (where all grounds are tied together). No change, lights are still very dim (almost on verge looking like LED ghosting).

As stated I assume that stapled bare wire is a ground, however, it does not show a ground on the schematic (shown on original post). All the bulbs tie together, in parallel connection, sort of like a common but unsure where it goes. I can see where signal comes into the bulb from driver board, but it has to complete the circuit to light up, and that is where I am stumped (regarding reading the schematic).

Now I do not have the ground mods done on the power board or sound board. I contacted Shwermmer Elecronics and he stated there was no need to ground the Shwermmer board or Ni-Wumph driver board because there is a ribbon cable used instead of the original Gottlieb harness connector. Again, probably grasping at straws, but could a ground mod correct this? Thanks again for any and all help.

#2069 5 years ago

The common bare braid that goes to all the controlled lamp sockets is not ground but rather positive voltage to the lamps. It is the drive transistors that ground the other end of the lamp sockets to complete the circuit.

#2070 5 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

The common bare braid that goes to all the controlled lamp sockets is not ground but rather positive voltage to the lamps. It is the drive transistors that ground the other end of the lamp sockets to complete the circuit.

AWESOME!

Thank you for clearing up that question for me.

With that in mind, could it be a defective Ni-Wumph driver board. I did see two (2) openings on the A3-J3 harness that show “spare” grounds. If I were to install pins and run that directly to ground plate, I am wondering if that would help the problem.

#2071 5 years ago

AWESOME!
Thank you for clearing up that question for me.
With that in mind, could it be a defective Ni-Wumph driver board. I did see two (2) openings on the A3-J3 harness that show “spare” grounds. If I were to install pins and run that directly to ground plate, I am wondering if that would help the problem.

You can also contact Ace at Ni-Wumph, he has been very helpful to me in the past.

#2072 5 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

You can also contact Ace at Ni-Wumph, he has been very helpful to me in the past.

Is there an email for Ace or should I go to Ni-Wumph website?

#2073 5 years ago

My latest addition I want a frick'n Genie so if someone in the Midwest wants to part with one let me know.

IMG_2576 (resized).JPGIMG_2576 (resized).JPG

#2074 5 years ago
Quoted from Underspin:

My latest addition I want a frick'n Genie so if someone in the Midwest wants to part with one let me know.

I'll have one fs after I get it shopped out. Mike

#2075 5 years ago
Quoted from psd4me:

Nice. That would be great thanks.

#2076 5 years ago
Quoted from Underspin:

Quoted from psd4me:

Buy from Mike with confidence if you don't know him he does nice work on what he sells

#2077 5 years ago

I just picked up a project Genesis. The game boots and sounds are all working. Cabinet is pretty rough but the playfield is in decent shape. I have quite a bit of repair work to do on switches and solenoids, etc. What is a fair price to pay for something like this? I gave $300 for it. Just wondering if that is an ok deal.

#2078 5 years ago
Quoted from woodmedic:

I just picked up a project Genesis. The game boots and sounds are all working. Cabinet is pretty rough but the playfield is in decent shape. I have quite a bit of repair work to do on switches and solenoids, etc. What is a fair price to pay for something like this? I gave $300 for it. Just wondering if that is an ok deal.

You got a good deal keep us updated on restore

#2079 5 years ago

Is there an email for Ace or should I go to Ni-Wumph website?

I went through the site.

#2080 5 years ago
Quoted from dhard:

You got a good deal keep us updated on restore

This is my first system 80. I am looking forward to getting it up and running. The power supply was only able to put out about 4.3 volts so I have a new switching power supply on the way as well as a manual. One thing that is bothering me is that the back glass did not have a lip at the bottom to help raise it up for removal. Is that normal for these?

#2081 5 years ago

Should be a trim piece on the bottom of the glass that fits into the wood and that you can lift it up with

#2082 5 years ago
Quoted from dhard:

Should be a trim piece on the bottom of the glass that fits into the wood and that you can lift it up with

That's what I figured but thanks for confirming it for me.

#2083 5 years ago

HELP please,

Small transformer problem?....maybe....

I have 2 x 11.5vac 2 x 14vac and 2 x69vac at the A2J1, but when I plug it into the psb the 5v and -12 volts are fine. Its the 60v and 42v which is the problem. The 60v is reading 26v's and no volts at all from the 42v's at A2P3.

I have tested the 69v's on the psb, both feeds get as far as the 1N4004 diodes (CR6, CR7, CR8 and CR9). No feed out of CR7 and CR9.

I poped the fuse for the 69v in the cabinet and tested the amperage using the 2 fuse holder lugs and only got 0.089a with it plugged into the psb with nothing plugged into the psb.

Any help appreciated.

#2084 5 years ago

Forgot to mention I have rebuilt the psb so the diodes at CR6 to CR9 are new and I have tested them and all are ok

#2085 5 years ago
Quoted from LGFAutos:

Forgot to mention I have rebuilt the psb so the diodes at CR6 to CR9 are new and I have tested them and all are ok

Lots of things can break on a System 1 power supply. They are not that hard to fix but a new replacement is cheap these days. I thinking you still have a power supply problem. I would recommend just replacing it.

#2086 5 years ago

You could also do a full rebuild on the power supply board, caps diode(s) and pots. I got my kit from big daddy enterprise.

#2087 5 years ago

Cheers for the replies.

Just an update before I found this fault:

I have followed the upgrade/change guide on PinWiki and changed all of the parts they mention with the same or upgraded parts where mentioned. 2 new trim pots as rated by PinWiki. I have done all the ground mods, even the ones across the driver board.

So the psb is ok as the 69v only gets as far as the first 4 1N4004 diodes, which is strange its like the power just stops there.

I think it is the small transformer which is weird, as its like it has no current just the 69-70volts. As soon as it has to do some work like going through the diodes it dies. Just like a car with a bad battery, it shows over 12v's on dmm but when you try to start it it just clicks the solenoid and the motor doesn't spin to turn the engine. As there is no amperage from the battery.

#2088 5 years ago
Quoted from LGFAutos:

Cheers for the replies.
Just an update before I found this fault:
I have followed the upgrade/change guide on PinWiki and changed all of the parts they mention with the same or upgraded parts where mentioned. 2 new trim pots as rated by PinWiki. I have done all the ground mods, even the ones across the driver board.
So the psb is ok as the 69v only gets as far as the first 4 1N4004 diodes, which is strange its like the power just stops there.
I think it is the small transformer which is weird, as its like it has no current just the 69-70volts. As soon as it has to do some work like going through the diodes it dies. Just like a car with a bad battery, it shows over 12v's on dmm but when you try to start it it just clicks the solenoid and the motor doesn't spin to turn the engine. As there is no amperage from the battery.

You know, the GND lines are not tied together on the power supply, so I hope, you do not measure the wrong way (I have seen this very often).

Please measure as follows and tell us the results:

- DMM to DC-Voltage !!!!!!!! (not AC!!!) - set it to a voltage higher than 100VDC, best 200VDC or so
- BLACK cable of your DMM to MINUS (negativ) of the big capacitor C6
- RED cable of your DMM to PLUS (positiv) of the big Capacitor C6

You should measure then something about 90VDC!!! Please tell us your results then.

sys1 powersupply PINSIDE (resized).JPGsys1 powersupply PINSIDE (resized).JPG

#2089 5 years ago

Additionally, if you connect the power supply and you still have approximately 69VAC at the connector, there is nothing wrong with your transformer.

Based on what you told us, either your diodes we're installed incorrectly, or you broke a trace.

#2090 5 years ago

Thank you for the your help.

Ok across Cap C6 the as in the picture above I have 90.0/90.1vdc

#2091 5 years ago

Have double checked all the diodes and they are correct to the print on the board

#2092 5 years ago

Oh for got to say that yes I have used the earth on Cap C6 to test the 69v and 42v, as I have done a lot of reading about how to replace and rebuild and test this board.

#2093 5 years ago
Quoted from LGFAutos:

Thank you for the your help.
Ok across Cap C6 the as in the picture above I have 90.0/90.1vdc

OK, that is good.

In the schematics there are testpoints for the voltages (DC!!!!), please measure all the voltages from the left to the right and tell us the first point, where you cannot measure a good value.

I could think, that you have a bad TIP31c ...

SYS 1 HV section hardcopy (resized).jpgSYS 1 HV section hardcopy (resized).jpg

#2094 5 years ago

Ok German-Pin,

Thank you for all your help with this.

Here are the voltages up to when R13 went petong and glowed until the fuse (mod of yours that i followed to the T up to the 2 fuses that are not rated on your drawings) blew in the cabinet on the 3/4 for the 69v. If I try to carry on with the testing after changing the fuse, R13 starts to glow again until the fuse blows again.

What type/ohms is that R13 resistor please so I can repair to carry on with the test. As on the schematics it just says 3311.

Here is what I got in vdc up to that point:
1, Just after CR7/CR9 was 94v
2, Just after R10/R11 was 14.9v
3, At the collector leg on Q4 was 0.0v
4, At the Base leg on Q4 was 0.0v

When I started testing the voltage at Q2, that was when R13 glowed until the cabinet fuse blew. I think I may have touched more than I should of with the dmm at the same time (muppet) sorry doh.

#2095 5 years ago

Not 3311 but 33 with an Ohm symbol.

If R13 is glowing, you have a dead short on the 60V regulated line. So, either C8 is shorted or one or more of your displays is shorted (Bad UCN6118 or shorted cap)

Unplug all 5 displays and retest voltages after TIP31. You could also have more shorted transistors now since they don't play well with dead shorts down stream. Re-check each with diode check to make sure you don't have any dead shorts across any E-B-C.

In probing, you may have shorted C to E on Q2 sending full 90V down to ICs on the displays. This could cause them to short internally.

#2096 5 years ago

thank you Cactusjack,

Luckily I was just testing the psb so had everything unplugged after it.

Will change R13 with a 33ohm what watt is it rated at please.

Will take the board out and test to make sure all is ok or not and replace.

#2097 5 years ago
Quoted from LGFAutos:

thank you Cactusjack,
Luckily I was just testing the psb so had everything unplugged after it.
Will change R13 with a 33ohm what watt is it rated at please.
Will take the board out and test to make sure all is ok or not and replace.

33 Ohm 1/2Watt

Could you make a high resolution foto of your board, especially, how your TIP31c is mounted?

#2098 5 years ago

Here are the pics:

IMG_3300 (resized).jpgIMG_3300 (resized).jpg

IMG_3299 (resized).jpgIMG_3299 (resized).jpg

IMG_3298 (resized).jpgIMG_3298 (resized).jpg

IMG_3297 (resized).jpgIMG_3297 (resized).jpg

#2099 5 years ago

Are the Insulators in place for the screw heads on the back of the board that mount the two TO220 transistors?

Ever hear of "less is more"? LOL. Too much Heat Sink compound can be as bad as none at all.

#2100 5 years ago

How many ohms do you read across Pins 1 (+60V) and 5 (GND) on A2P3?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

1,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

There are 6,539 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/42?hl=lgfautos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.