(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,524 posts
  • 648 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 27 hours ago by JakePG
  • Topic is favorited by 322 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg
IMG_5720(1) (resized).jpg
IMG_5721(1) (resized).jpg
IMG_5719 (resized).jpg
IMG_3287 (resized).jpeg
20240131_210835 (resized).jpg
20240131_210842 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240110_003042000.MP (resized).jpg
PXL_20240110_004644797 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,524 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 131.
#1901 6 years ago

Finally trying to fix my Genesis sound issue and hoping for help.

Just tested in a fully working genesis and definitely something on the sound board. Sound board hasn’t new roms as fyi

The sounds are out of order, faster pace than normal and a few targets actually kill all sound together. Hit a different target and sound will come back but still not correct sounds.

Any ideas before I send it off to Clive?

#1902 6 years ago

Purchased the sound / speech board from Pinball Life and eproms from Pinball Resource.

#1903 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

You can boot a game without the coin door, but since the coin door has a slam switch and start button, it's a bit more difficult.
You would have to add the slam switch mod, and then find the pins on the coin door connector for the start button, and short/jumper those wires together to simulate pressing the button.

Does having the NiWumpf boards change the need for the slam switch mod?

#1904 6 years ago

Is there a place to download a MGoW Machine Manual or do I have to order it? Not seeing it on IPDB. Thanks

Found the answer: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/manual-for-gottlieb-machines

#1905 6 years ago

I just picked up a joker poker. The blue in front of the displays on the back glass needs to be touched up if possible. Anybody ever touch this area up successfully?

#1906 6 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Does having the NiWumpf boards change the need for the slam switch mod?

From their website: http://www.ni-wumpf.com/System1CPU.html

Stuck switches are ignored and do not impair the rest of the games operation, including the slam switch!

#1907 6 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

I just picked up a joker poker. The blue in front of the displays on the back glass needs to be touched up if possible. Anybody ever touch this area up successfully?

Someone makes blue vinyl? parts...you use tape or something similar to remove the old blue, then stick these new ones in place...I’ll see if I can find them again. I ordered a set years ago for BH, but will need these for roller disco as well

#1908 6 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

I either see people just leave it alone, or carefully scrape off the blue ink and stick a plastic blue filter window in its place, like these: http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=PDG377

Or, there are still a few CPR backglass reproductions floating around: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/GTB-BGJP

Or, replace the displays with boston pinball's blue LED displays (not cheap).

#1909 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

I just played a fabulous game on my volcano. Rolled it over to 1.24 million. Sweet.
I tried to play another game and it will not play.

It turned out to be Z14. 7400 chip.

#1910 6 years ago

Discovered our Solar Ride can't work without the ground mod on the MPU. I got (and installed) the NVRAM package from Pinitech (because I'm tired of changing batteries every two months), and once I found the best places to jumper the diode due to old battery damage on the board, made it professional, removed the remote battery holder, and stupidly removed the ground mod wire since the repinning should have dealt with that issue.

So what I get without the ground mod: Hit the second rollover when the first is lit, it acts like you hit the first, then the second, then the third, and sometimes the fourth, taking it to 4X or 5X multiplier. It will think all the drop targets are dropped when only one to three have been dropped in actuality. Some of the bonus indicator lights won't light when it seems like they should. The right side kickout will add three bonus levels (we're on 5 ball), then the machine will add three more like the right outlane was rolled over.

Rock solid expected behavior resumed when I reinstalled the ground mod. I'm thinking the MPU's ground plane is no longer reliable because of the old battery corrosion.

#1911 6 years ago

So, I'm a HUGE fan of Gottlieb machines. I have 2 Sys80b (Gold Wings and a Hollywood Heat mid-conversion to Grand Theft Auto). After owning my Gold Wings for a few months now, the seller I bought it from popped in for a minute and had a surprise for me.. He found the topper for the machine (it had broken off at one point). So stoked to have an original topper for my Gold Wings!

Sorry, but I had to tell SOMEONE that would appreciate the score.

GWTopper (resized).jpgGWTopper (resized).jpg

GWTopperInstalled (resized).jpgGWTopperInstalled (resized).jpg

#1912 6 years ago
Quoted from Guru-420:

Sorry, but I had to tell SOMEONE that would appreciate the score.

I had a Gold Wings for almost 10 years.
It is a fun game.
I added a "night" switch so I could play it and turn off the siren when my family was sleeping.
The lights and the layout were awesome.
I liked the sounds but the music got to me sometimes.

#1913 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

I had a Gold Wings for almost 10 years.
It is a fun game.
I added a "night" switch so I could play it and turn off the siren when my family was sleeping.
The lights and the layout were awesome.
I liked the sounds but the music got to me sometimes.

I like the unusual layout as well, and with 15 other pins, it fits in well. I had a friend mod his GW with a RPi for custom sounds. Plug-n-play, and can be modified with different MP3s via a computer remote session. Will be doing the same to mine, and the GTA once I re-work the Python code for the different switch mapping.

#1914 6 years ago

After nearly a year, a Sinbad I won at a 'blind' auction for $300 (no boards, minor damage to playfield) and a second Sinbad from Craigslist (drove 2 hours, discovered seller used a 'photo from the web' for his listing- really dude?) and lot's of trial, error and reading here and on pinrepair, my Sinbad project is up and running! Still a few minor tweaks, but here's a montage of the journey from the past year and list of everything that I did.

RESTORATION OF PLAYFIELD
REPAINTED PLAYFIELD BOTTOM
PASCAL p1-X4 BOARD
REPINNED CONNECTORS
FLIPPER REBUILD
NEW DROP TARGET RESET COILS
NEW DROP TARGETS
ADDITIONAL BOTTOM BOARD FUSES (see Pinrepair.com)
REPLACED A "4" BACKGLASS with a "7" and SEALED WITH TRIPLE THICK
COIL CHIME WASHERS REPLACED.
etc....

Sinbad Montage (resized).pngSinbad Montage (resized).png

#1915 6 years ago
Quoted from quinntopia:

After nearly a year, a Sinbad I won at a 'blind' auction for $300 (no boards, minor damage to playfield) and a second Sinbad from Craigslist (drove 2 hours, discovered seller used a 'photo from the web' for his listing- really dude?) and lot's of trial, error and reading here and on pinrepair, my Sinbad project is up and running! Still a few minor tweaks, but here's a montage of the journey from the past year and list of everything that I did.
RESTORATION OF PLAYFIELD
REPAINTED PLAYFIELD BOTTOM
PASCAL p1-X4 BOARD
REPINNED CONNECTORS
FLIPPER REBUILD
NEW DROP TARGET RESET COILS
NEW DROP TARGETS
ADDITIONAL BOTTOM BOARD FUSES (see Pinrepair.com)
REPLACED A "4" BACKGLASS with a "7" and SEALED WITH TRIPLE THICK
COIL CHIME WASHERS REPLACED.
etc....

Nice work, looks great! So do you have a bunch of parts to build another out of? I might be interested in a project sinbad.

#1916 6 years ago

Went from Sinbad
To Sinbadass nicely done

#1917 6 years ago

Recently picked up a Spring Break. Cool machine that cleand up nice. Not a keeper but will be fun for awhile.

2018-03-07 13.38.47 (resized).jpg2018-03-07 13.38.47 (resized).jpg

#1918 6 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

Nice work, looks great! So do you have a bunch of parts to build another out of? I might be interested in a project sinbad.

In fact, I do! I was considering fixing it up and retheming it, but I think I want to try a new machine instead so I can/will part out. Send me a PM and let me know what you need. I have everything except for a few cosmetic pieces (I personally would not trust any of the CPU, Driver boards, etc...).

#1919 6 years ago

Hey guys, so another question.. for Panthera .. all 4 player score boards have the top “a” segment out. I looked into a bunch of referenced documentation and traced that back to the z19 chip. How likely would replacing the chip fix this? I reflowed the solder with no luck. Also, I’m having trouble finding out what chip I would replace it with. The manual didn’t seem to have specific chip info. Any tips or links?

Edit: ok so it’s a sn7448 chip. Just gotta find where to buy one

#1920 6 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

Just gotta find where to buy one

Great Plains Electronics.
Buy the chip and a socket for it. Then if you had to change it in the future there is no soldering involved.
I usually buy 2 of the chip I need in case I screw up.

Ed is great to deal with.

#1921 6 years ago

Thanks dude. It shows out of stock but it looks like I can get a different version. Good call on the socket!!

#1922 6 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

Thanks dude. It shows out of stock but it looks like I can get a different version. Good call on the socket!!

I've gotten parts from this guy in Montreal. Very reasonable prices and shipping costs. Haven't been disappointed yet. Canadian eh!

https://thedhtsstore.com/

Initially found him on eBay, but often just email him directly now. Not all of his parts are on eBay so I just ask if he has something I need. Usually get a pack of 5 for future needs because his prices are so good.

#1923 6 years ago
Quoted from srcdube:

I've gotten parts from this guy in Montreal. Very reasonable prices and shipping costs. Haven't been disappointed yet. Canadian eh!
https://thedhtsstore.com/
Initially found him on eBay, but often just email him directly now. Not all of his parts are on eBay so I just ask if he has something I need. Usually get a pack of 5 for future needs because his prices are so good.

Thanks, the great plains guy looks like he's on vacation and the Canadian options seems promising ,I will contact them.

#1924 6 years ago

Quick update on the SN7448 chips. They are super hard to find and Ed from great plains does not have any. Neither does the Canadian guy. However, A suitable replacement is - 74LS48 - and marco currently stocks them. They aren't cheap but Marco is the best bet unlesss you want to gamble with possible chinese fakes on ebay and wait a month to get it.

#1925 6 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

Thanks, the great plains guy looks like he's on vacation and the Canadian options seems promising ,I will contact them.

For more Canadian connections you can also check with Astill in the Toronto area. I got some proms and other chips for Paragon from him.

Also pinballmedics.ca in Ottawa. Mike got me chips and flipper rebuild kits.

Both are great guys!

#1926 6 years ago

Bad Girls confiscated the house!
IMG_20180316_235042 (resized).jpgIMG_20180316_235042 (resized).jpg

#1927 6 years ago

Hey guys,
Looking for help on repinning a connector on a roller disco...but I can't get the pins out. Is it best to just buy the molex tool?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-roller-disco-club#post-4290935

#1928 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Hey guys,
Looking for help on repinning a connector on a roller disco...but I can't get the pins out. Is it best to just buy the molex tool?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-roller-disco-club#post-4290935

Yes.. but I was just looking for the same thing today online and there are alternatives out there... the cheapest of which is using two staples... go figure. Google it. Probably a good investment to get the right tool though.

#1929 6 years ago
Quoted from srcdube:

Yes.. but I was just looking for the same thing today online and there are alternatives out there... the cheapest of which is using two staples... go figure. Google it. Probably a good investment to get the right tool though.

Mmm my pins are in there freaking good. I tried some tiny flat heads and solid tweasers and couldn’t get one out :/

#1930 6 years ago

Try hammering a small and a jumbo paper clip end flat and see if either will work. The flat head screw driver's problem is it tapers at the end where it needs to be bigger to cave in that little latch tab.

I make all sorts of extractors using paper clips sometimes needing to grind them narrow or put a tiny bend at the very end

#1931 6 years ago

Ok I’ll give some paper clips a shot today!

#1932 6 years ago

Hey guys...I have an unfinished Bad Girls project that I’m looking to sell for $550. I’m in the Philly area. Shoot me a PM if there is any interest and I can provide details/pics.

#1933 6 years ago
Quoted from srcdube:

Quoted from CactusJack:

Try hammering a small and a jumbo paper clip end flat and see if either will work. The flat head screw driver's problem is it tapers at the end where it needs to be bigger to cave in that little latch tab.
I make all sorts of extractors using paper clips sometimes needing to grind them narrow or put a tiny bend at the very end

Holy moly. So I got 2 paper clips, one large, one small, took a dremel and flattened/pointed one edge. The small one worked the best. I would push it in, turn 90 degrees, wiggle, and then try the pin/plug and it generally came out DANG! NEVER thought that would work. Thank you guys.

I repinned the game...the switches work!!! SO PUMPED! Onto audio/game issues!

#1934 6 years ago

Where did Gottlieb get their inspiration from?

badgirls_crop (resized).jpgbadgirls_crop (resized).jpg

michael (resized).jpgmichael (resized).jpg

#1935 6 years ago

Sharing some photos of a mod on my Sinbad....added some backlit LED lights to the Flipper buttons and the credit button. They turned out well, and its so nice to remove the cruddy old buttons!

IMG_6551 (resized).JPGIMG_6551 (resized).JPG

IMG_6553 2 (resized).JPGIMG_6553 2 (resized).JPG

IMG_6554 (resized).JPGIMG_6554 (resized).JPG

#1936 6 years ago

Sold the Bad Girls

#1937 6 years ago

Greetings,

Relatively new here on the Pinside forums, found this amazing group and I wanted to check in and say hello. I am a big fan of Gottlieb and their Star / System 80 games, as they have designed and manufactured some great games with unique gameplay.

Got into pinball 15 years ago, had purchased a Black Hole in which I had tried to fully restore. Dropped a fully wired, NOS upper playfield into the game, and had all boards redone. Got the machine running but no sound. Briefly had a non working Haunted House, but sold that off, and then foolishly sold my Black Hole pinball...which I regret to this day. This was back before the social media (You Tube) and pinball websites were so prominent and full of information.

So late last year, had an opportunity to purchase a System 1 Solar Ride pinball. The backglass was in great shape (just a few, remote touch ups and sealed it immediately with Triple Thick), game had all new boards (Rottendog power and Ni-Krumph MPU) and was fully operational. Installed LED’s and color matched the inserts, looks amazing. Shortly thereafter, had another opportunity and obtained a 1982 Devil’s Dare pinball.

Glad to be back in the pinball community, and this website has been priceless. May sell the Devils Dare as I am hoping to acquire (1) of these unique games:

Black Hole
Counterforce
Haunted House
Time Line

#1938 6 years ago

I have owned my share of gottlieb ss machines.
Circus
Solar ride
Volcano
One other that escapes me right now.

And one black time line and one blue time line.
Have you actually played time line?
I ask because I thought it was a huge playfield with little to shoot at.

#1939 6 years ago

I remember playing it as a kid. Never paid attention or focused on actual game play “rules”.

The Tic-Tac-Toe unique gameplay is what draws me to it. I know there is an “upper” playfield (left corner) that is timed, when time expires the flippers go “dead” and ball drains down onto the main playfield, where there are (3) pop bumpers, (2) sets of drop targets, and spot targets.

#1940 6 years ago
Quoted from Midniterider:

Black Hole
Counterforce
Haunted House
Time Line

I have a really nice counterforce I’m thinking about selling. Message me if you’d like me to send you a link full of pics and some info on the game.
-Ran

#1941 6 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

I have a really nice counterforce I’m thinking about selling. Message me if you’d like me to send you a link full of pics and some info on the game.
-Ran

PM Incoming!

#1942 6 years ago

Email sent.

#1943 6 years ago

I picked up two Black Holes kind of sight unseen. I did get a photo of them sitting on a pallet without legs. Anyway, I bought them because the price was reasonable. My goal was to restore one as a Black Hole and the second was going to become a donor pin for an Eclipse project I have been working on. Anyway, when they arrive I found them in decent shape. One playfield was pretty good as was one of the backglasses. This is perfect for my plans. My only problem is both cabinets need the press board bottoms replaced. They swelled up from water exposure. My question is how do I do that? I am thinking I just slice off the rear lower inch of back of the cabinet. That way I can just slide out the bad board and replace with a new one. Any thoughts? Is the old one glued in? Thanks in advance.

#1944 6 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I picked up two Black Holes kind of sight unseen. I did get a photo of them sitting on a pallet without legs. Anyway, I bought them because the price was reasonable. My goal was to restore one as a Black Hole and the second was going to become a donor pin for an Eclipse project I have been working on. Anyway, when they arrive I found them in decent shape. One playfield was pretty good as was one of the backglasses. This is perfect for my plans. My only problem is both cabinets need the press board bottoms replaced. They swelled up from water exposure. My question is how do I do that? I am thinking I just slice off the rear lower inch of back of the cabinet. That way I can just slide out the bad board and replace with a new one. Any thoughts? Is the old one glued in? Thanks in advance.

Here is the place to learn, ask and read up on cab restore vid is awesome

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-restoration-vids-guide

#1945 6 years ago

Does anyone currently have a Royal Flush Deluxe in their collection? I am buying one and I need some measurements of the machine with the head folded down and the width of the head to see if it will fit in my car or if I need to borrow a friends.

*** Update *** Seller changed mind so do not need the measurements.

#1946 6 years ago

Other than a couple lamps, the only thing not working on my Raven is the tilt. It keeps saying tilt on the display. A tech came over a couple years ago for the sound & he 'fixed' it by pulling the wire out of connector A1J5.
I want to fix it as I can get pretty abusive (I've had the leg bolts back out). I checked the tilt switches & what I can see of the wiring & they're okay. I'm not very good with schematics, but I'm thinking the tilts run into A1J5, through a chip or two & out to the tilt relay, which as far as I can figure out only shuts the GI off.
I'll have to check again, but it looks like it goes to Z11 & then U4. If correct, I'm going to check Z11 in diode mode & if there's nothing wrong, check U4. I don't have a logic probe, but I've read that you can check logic states with a DMM.
I'm new to diagnostics, so does seem like the correct path?
I've started a separate thread if you don't want to clutter this one up https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-the-tilt-on-a-gottlieb-80b

#1947 6 years ago

Joined the club about two weeks ago, found this thread just now. I picked up a nice volcano with a couple of issues. New CPU and Driver (Ni-wumpf) and a Gulf Pinball power supply. Biggest problem is the subway switch slam tilts the game right after it launches a ball back onto the playfield. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Bob

#1948 6 years ago

Is the slam switch under the playfield set too close.
I also have a volcano. Its a fun game.

#1949 6 years ago

Tilt switch under the PF is open. I simulated a game start with the pf up, and activated the subway switch. Coil fires, but the game slam tilts. ‘Tilt tilt tilt tilt’ and display says ‘bad one.’ I wondered if it might be wired incorrectly, but the fact that the coil fires suggests something else ( in my tiny little brain, anyway...)

Cheers!
Bob

#1950 6 years ago

You must have an after market board. It will say tilt, tilt tilt but I do not think it will read anything in displays.
Are your connectors clean?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 6,524 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/39?hl=lynnindenver and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.