(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 46 hours ago by Sammer
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 131.
#1451 6 years ago

Polished the playfield with some Novus 2. It did brighten it up some but the picks looks better than in person. Just scored 549410 on it!

IMG_1003 (resized).JPGIMG_1003 (resized).JPG

#1452 6 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Just picked up a Genie. Where's the go-to place for replacement displays?

Try one of these: http://www.bostonpinballcompany.com/displays.htm

I actually saw a couple of Sys1/80s with the replacement displays. A Genie with a seven digit set (which made it really really obvious), and I believe a Haunted House. It was actually half of the 1/80s that I saw turned on that were on LED displays, so it almost looked like there was some sort of spike in the failure rates, and I'd be surprised if it wasn't just worth it to just get the upgrade and not worry about scrounging replacement glass. Does it look different compared to the VFDs? Yes, of course it does. But it's not liking they're making new ones.

#1454 6 years ago

I've made a gameplay movie for the last original System 80B-design: Night Moves.

Hope you guys like it. Enjoy!

#1455 6 years ago
Quoted from jboner1058:

Does anyone know what the two pots on black holes sound speech board adjust? Voltage? Volume?

R15 and R16 are both 10K pots (resistance adjustment.) You can adjust the volume of the sound and speech relative to each other. Adjust the volume of the sound with R15. Adjust the volume of the speech with R16. The main volume pot (volume up/down) can be found inside the cab through the coin door.

#1456 6 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Just picked up a Genie. Where's the go-to place for replacement displays?

I've got a parts Charlie's Angels that I'm using to refurb my Hulk. If I have any displays left over I'll let you know.

1 week later
#1457 6 years ago

Does anyone know what size of coil sleeves I should be getting for system 80s? Looking at Marco and there's a bunch of different sizes but none specifically labeled.

1 week later
#1459 6 years ago

I got my sound effects on Genesis to come in. I had to order in new sound roms, but this one is almost done.

Here's a question. I need a new glass to go with my NOS translite. I know that the lift trims are hard to come by for Gottlieb. So I should just cut to the same thickness as Williams or Data East, right?

#1460 6 years ago

Really dumb question but I couldn't find the answer, do these games have a self-test switch like Bally-Midway? Do any Gottlieb SS games use a similar switch?

#1461 6 years ago

You know what I hate? Reassembling a System 1 coin door, only to find you forgot to put the coin reject rod back in before putting the front plate on.

#1462 6 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Really dumb question but I couldn't find the answer, do these games have a self-test switch like Bally-Midway? Do any Gottlieb SS games use a similar switch?

yeah. usually a small red button on the inside of coin door

#1463 6 years ago

Got a weird problem I could use some help with: when the game boots up on my TX Sector, the display goes out half the time when the solenoids fire upon initial boot. I have to reset and try again; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Seems like it's robbing the display of power but not sure what to do. Increase 5v supply on power supply? Thanks!

#1464 6 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Got a weird problem I could use some help with: when the game boots up on my TX Sector, the display goes out half the time when the solenoids fire upon initial boot. I have to reset and try again; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Seems like it's robbing the display of power but not sure what to do. Increase 5v supply on power supply? Thanks!

Better measure what you have now

#1465 6 years ago

For those that may not have seen it there is a new cpu board out for system 1 and system 80 that also allows rescipting the games using MPF.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-and-system-80-support-in-the-mission-pinball-framewo

#1466 6 years ago

Cross-posting this here to catch the eye of one of you System 1 geniuses...this one's a doozy:

When I got my JP machine for restoration, it had a strange characteristic: Somebody had placed a large relay box between the incoming power wires and the target bank coil, most likely to substitute for the stand-up transistor, which was taken out of the circuit. The game started up and played fine. (I'm using an X-1 all in one board instead of the Gottlieb boards.)

I wanted to replace the transistor and get that relay out of there before starting the restoration, but when I put the transistor in and wired it up (using Clay's photos for reference as well as other peoples'), the game still turned on okay and all displays worked, but I was unable to start a game. I would think that the two things are COMPLETELY unrelated, but that's the timeline on what happened.

Now my restoration is done, and everything lights up and displays fine, but I'm still unable to start a game.

Any ideas on what the hell would cause this? I do have schematics if anybody needs a photo of a certain section or wants me to refer to them. Or if you can tell me how to test the transistor (I think I'd have to desolder it first, though, no?).

Thanks for any help you can give...hopefully the photos are large enough that you can see what's going where. It doesn't look like that anymore so I can't help with that...

PS - One picture shows the transistor after I replaced it and removed the relay!

IMG_2372 (resized).JPGIMG_2372 (resized).JPG

14045122_10208868672486392_1584218924_o (resized).jpg14045122_10208868672486392_1584218924_o (resized).jpg

14012841_10208868573203910_2107311903_o (resized).jpg14012841_10208868573203910_2107311903_o (resized).jpg

#1467 6 years ago

Guessing: maybe something to do with the Slam switch? Somehow it was wired into that relay? Loose/broken Slam switch wire?

Just throwing darts in the dark.

#1468 6 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Guessing: maybe something to do with the Slam switch? Somehow it was wired into that relay? Loose/broken Slam switch wire?
Just throwing darts in the dark.

Not getting a tilt light, though. I have to figure this out Sunday after Pintastic.

#1469 6 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Got a weird problem I could use some help with: when the game boots up on my TX Sector, the display goes out half the time when the solenoids fire upon initial boot. I have to reset and try again; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Seems like it's robbing the display of power but not sure what to do. Increase 5v supply on power supply?

Not the problem it seems. It was at 5.10v: no dice. Turned it up to 5.30v: no dice. Turned it down to 5v: no dice. Back at 5.10. Anyone got another idea? It only does this when the solenoids test, which makes me think it's being robbed of power.

#1470 6 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Not the problem it seems. It was at 5.10v: no dice. Turned it up to 5.30v: no dice. Turned it down to 5v: no dice. Back at 5.10. Anyone got another idea? It only does this when the solenoids test, which makes me think it's being robbed of power.

One thing you might try is taking the fluorescent bulb out if it's working (or just remove the starter). I have the same type of issue on my Gold Wing, Raven,Amazon Hunt II and sometimes on my Hollywood Heat and it's got to do with the light starting up. I've never been able to determine exactly why this is but it's been the problem. I've been thinking off and on about a different type of back box lighting but haven't come to any conclusions yet.

#1471 6 years ago
Quoted from psd4me:

One thing you might try is taking the fluorescent bulb

I've heard of this problem. I'd rather not take out the bulb though. Argh, stupid Gottliebs.

#1472 6 years ago
Quoted from psd4me:

I've been thinking off and on about a different type of back box lighting but haven't come to any conclusions yet.

Tomorrow actually, I plan to try and do an LED strip around the inside of the backbox. I am going to be tying into the 12v wire to power it. What got me onto this is because my Genesis came with a NOS translite and I'd rather not yellow it with the fluorescent.

#1473 6 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

Tomorrow actually, I plan to try and do an LED strip around the inside of the backbox. I am going to be tying into the 12v wire to power it. What got me onto this is because my Genesis came with a NOS translate and I'd rather not yellow it with the fluorescent.

Be very interested to see how it looks.

#1474 6 years ago
Quoted from psd4me:

I'll update with some photos. I'm still waiting on the glass for the translite. I just called to see if it was in yet and it's not. Hopefully it will be in by the end of the day.

#1475 6 years ago

I joined the club this week, hooray!

P7100135 (resized).JPGP7100135 (resized).JPG

I'm so excited to get some LED's and Titan rings in this little powerhouse!

#1476 6 years ago

So Genesis started getting Slam Switch Error. I tracked it down to the Interconnect wire on the Driver Board side. So it looks like I'll be rebuilding that after all. I think I had already purchased the crimps for it, just never followed through with doing it.

Quoted from psd4me:

I hadn't had a chance to do it yet. I got tied up installing Cliffy's and finding that Slam Switch error. It should still be this week.

#1477 6 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

I joined the club this week, hooray!

I'm so excited to get some LED's and Titan rings in this little powerhouse!

Dang night moves?! Lucky!

#1478 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Dang night moves?! Lucky!

It's a pinball machine!
It's a cocktail table!
It's a dance party!

It's all these things and more!

#1479 6 years ago

The LED strips turned out great. I'm glad I only went with the two sides instead of 3. These are not in permanent right now, just testing phase. The glass isn't in yet so we're just holding it in place.

20170712_194908 (resized).jpg20170712_194908 (resized).jpg

20170712_194827 (resized).jpg20170712_194827 (resized).jpg

20170712_194904 (resized).jpg20170712_194904 (resized).jpg

#1480 6 years ago

Oh, I used neutral color, not warm or cool

#1481 6 years ago

It does look good. Which light strips did you use?

#1482 6 years ago

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007JF2A6G/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apap_9OQUoGojQ1M16

I have a lot of these strips. I've been busy doing arcade light boxes and I did a little something special with some Black Hole backglasses I had lying around (yes the disk spins). I just made a black box with two grooves in to slide in both back glasses. I printed off the image of the disk and glued it to a sheet of plexi. I used a 12v 3rpm motor to spin it.

20170618_215224.jpg20170618_215224.jpg
ddb76a2c8db6318536b82399e424a2db91fa151d.gif.jpgddb76a2c8db6318536b82399e424a2db91fa151d.gif.jpg

20170624_221905 (resized).jpg20170624_221905 (resized).jpg

#1483 6 years ago

That makes me want to get a Black Hole about a million times more than I already did...

#1484 6 years ago

Hey guys!

Looking for an upper hinge assembly for a Gottlieb System 1 backbox backglass door.

Please let me know if you have one you're willing to sell.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

IMG_7758 (resized).jpgIMG_7758 (resized).jpg

#1485 6 years ago

I spent way too long researching how to do the slam switch mod on my Swemmer mpu.

20170715_201136 (resized).jpg20170715_201136 (resized).jpg

#1486 6 years ago

I'm looking for a little direction here if anyone is available to help please chime in I have a post with an issue on a system 80b display. Thank you in advance!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-gold-wings-display-issues-need-help-please

1 week later
#1487 6 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

The LED strips turned out great.

Where did you plug these strips into? I know it's 12v, but is there a specific line that you tapped? Thanks!

#1488 6 years ago

Anyone know why the ball in the trough always kicks out whenever I turn the power on my TX Sector? So annoying.

#1489 6 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Anyone know why the ball in the trough always kicks out whenever I turn the power on my TX Sector? So annoying.

Happened on my MGOW until I rebuilt the power supply, but looks like your PS on that 80B is a bit different.
http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#System_80B_Power_Supplies

Make sure your terminals/connections to and from the PS are nice and clean or re-crimp new terminals. Also, remove old and reflow new solder at the PS header pins. See here also.
http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Recommended_Repairs_for_the_System_80B_Power_Supply_Board

Also take a look at this. You may want to look deeper into de-thunking it.
http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Power_on_.22Thunk.22
Power on "Thunk" --> "...on some games, the thunk can be very annoying by pulsing the ball release coil under the lower apron. The result is a ball being served into the shooter lane, before the MPU board even boots up."

#1490 6 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Where did you plug these strips into? I know it's 12v, but is there a specific line that you tapped? Thanks!

Sorry Sesh, just saw this. Orange wire is 12v, grey wire is ground, don't mind the yellow wire, that's just part of my ground mod.

20170724_175133 (resized).jpg20170724_175133 (resized).jpg

20170724_175137 (resized).jpg20170724_175137 (resized).jpg

#1491 6 years ago

Does anyone know the factory dipswitch settings for goldwings ? This would be very helpful thank you

#1492 6 years ago
Quoted from Kickback2012:

Does anyone know the factory dipswitch settings for goldwings ? This would be very helpful thank you

IMG_3942 (resized).PNGIMG_3942 (resized).PNG

#1493 6 years ago

Hey Guys! I need some help, I'm totally green when it comes to working on pins and am having some issues with my Gold Wings. The game keeps resetting in the middle of a ball and does not seem to be caused by a single issue, it just happens about 10 seconds to a minute into playing a ball and hitting a number of targets/switches etc. The power all stays on, it basically just goes back to attract mode every time. What can I do to determine the issue?? Thanks!!

#1494 6 years ago
Quoted from Caseman0202:

Hey Guys! I need some help, I'm totally green when it comes to working on pins and am having some issues with my Gold Wings. The game keeps resetting in the middle of a ball and does not seem to be caused by a single issue, it just happens about 10 seconds to a minute into playing a ball and hitting a number of targets/switches etc. The power all stays on, it basically just goes back to attract mode every time. What can I do to determine the issue?? Thanks!!

Check that your 5v is actually reading 5v.

#1495 6 years ago
Quoted from Caseman0202:

happens about 10 seconds to a minute into playing a ball and hitting a number of targets/switches etc

Does it happen when you hit only certain switches?

#1496 6 years ago

Unplug the reset board.

#1497 6 years ago
Quoted from Caseman0202:

Sound like a similar issue I had on my Touchdown.

Might be slam tilting. Use a wire lead with alligator clips to temporarily close the slam switch on the coin door. If this fixes the issue, I usually clean slam switch with a business card and adjust the switch. You could also look up how to mod the MPU to bypass the slam switch.

If you've got good voltages...Another idea for flakey resetting is to clean the legs and reseat all socketed chips on the MPU. I use a regular pencil eraser to clean the legs, and I support the legs of the chips by utilizing my bar countertop/workstation. Make sure to do them one at a time so as not to get them mixed up and reinstall them in the proper orientation observing the notch or dot of the chip as pin1.

#1498 6 years ago

Just thought I'd announce that I have joined this club as of a couple months ago by buying the well-known yet seldom-loved System 80A pin, El Dorado: City of Gold. My particular example is in fantastic shape and shows the signs of diligent TLC from previous owners including full LED conversion, ground mod complete, battery mod complete, and a brand new set of drop targets from PBResource. Playfield is in excellent shape with just two blisters in the mylar over a couple of the inserts. Backglass has a couple scratches and flaking at the bottom, especially the lower right corner, but since that area isn't illuminated it doesn't draw unwanted attention. Electronics in the back box got a little fussy a few weeks ago and I lost much of the sound in the game, a light scrub of the contacts on the sound board removed some green oxidation and after reseating the connector sound is back to 100% working.

This pin has a low rating here on Pinside for all sorts of reasons - unbalanced scoring, Indiana Jones "ripoff" theme, its lackadaisical videogame simulation in TPA, and Ed Krynski's phoned-in rehash of an EM playfield since he hated Mylstar and was getting ready to retire. But despite all that I plan on hanging on to this pin for many, many years, because it's in such great shape and is a simple game for fun, casual play. The flippers are snappy and give the ball a lot of momentum, the outlanes are bouncy and like to be nudged. The left pop bumper jackhammers away and sends the ball back and forth over the upper left rollover, over and over, and a few more times after that. Just a lot of aiming and passing and trying to control the ball. For a mediocre player like myself I consider it something of a "tutorial" machine that I can use to practice fundamentals.

EDCoG (resized).jpgEDCoG (resized).jpg

#1499 6 years ago

Hi All.

Can someone provide me with the actual measurements or a link to the specifications for the proper legs to use on Spirit?

My Spirit has two legs that are severely bent which is actually twisting the cab to some degree. I could straighten them out but I am doubting that these are the right legs, being that they are black.

Thanks!

#1500 6 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Hi All.
Can someone provide me with the actual measurements or a link to the specifications for the proper legs to use on Spirit?
My Spirit has two legs that are severely bent which is actually twisting the cab to some degree. I could straighten them out but I am doubting that these are the right legs, being that they are black.
Thanks!

According to this page: http://www.pbresource.com/legs.html

27" chrome non-ribbed legs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hickory, NC
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Calgary, AB
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.