(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,524 posts
  • 648 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 25 hours ago by JakePG
  • Topic is favorited by 322 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg
IMG_5720(1) (resized).jpg
IMG_5721(1) (resized).jpg
IMG_5719 (resized).jpg
IMG_3287 (resized).jpeg
20240131_210835 (resized).jpg
20240131_210842 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240110_003042000.MP (resized).jpg
PXL_20240110_004644797 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,524 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 131.
#1302 7 years ago

I need everything the entire assembly is gone. Steve looks like he has most. I'll make the wire

#1303 7 years ago

Anyone know what causes this kind of coil test behavior?

Edit: a switch not adjusted properly and always closed will do it. Now to figure out why it doesn't do anything after it starts a game.

#1304 7 years ago

Quick question, I recently got my Joker Poker up and running again. I have replaced every diode in the game (as was advised by Ace at Niwumph to hopefully fix a problem with repeatedly blowing one of the mosfets). now when I play, the 100's chime coil seems to "bounce" If you are playing, you hear the chimes hit, then you can feel it continue to bounce. I don't know if it has always done that, or if it supposed to be still chiming and isn't hitting the chime plate after the first hit. I double checked I have the diode installed correctly. I will try to remove the chime assembly and examine closer this weekend, just thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas first.

#1305 7 years ago

Found some other issues, please check out my thread.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joker-poker-issues#post-3667844

#1306 7 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

Quick question, I recently got my Joker Poker up and running again. I have replaced every diode in the game (as was advised by Ace at Niwumph to hopefully fix a problem with repeatedly blowing one of the mosfets). now when I play, the 100's chime coil seems to "bounce" If you are playing, you hear the chimes hit, then you can feel it continue to bounce. I don't know if it has always done that, or if it supposed to be still chiming and isn't hitting the chime plate after the first hit. I double checked I have the diode installed correctly. I will try to remove the chime assembly and examine closer this weekend, just thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas first.

typical reaction (for scoring 5 pulses) when the plunger is a bit gummed up. Plunger never gets low enough to go back up so it kind of oscillates in the middle until the 5th pulse and then it settles down. Usually works okay for single score events.

Also keep In mind there was one set of Rockwell chips that were a little faster for bonus collect since once they went to electronic sounds, they could send sounds faster.

#1307 7 years ago

Looking for this transistor bracket for under the pf....found some sets on ebay for 13 plus shipping. Anyone have one bracket with no trans? Trying to keep my friends cost down....like $7-8 shipped?

IMG_6259 (resized).JPGIMG_6259 (resized).JPG

#1308 7 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

typical reaction (for scoring 5 pulses) when the plunger is a bit gummed up. Plunger never gets low enough to go back up so it kind of oscillates in the middle until the 5th pulse and then it settles down. Usually works okay for single score events.
Also keep In mind there was one set of Rockwell chips that were a little faster for bonus collect since once they went to electronic sounds, they could send sounds faster.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to pull the assembly this weekend to clean and inspect. I am having some scoring issues, please see my thread referenced above if you have any advice.

#1309 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Looking for this transistor bracket for under the pf....found some sets on ebay for 13 plus shipping. Anyone have one bracket with no trans? Trying to keep my friends cost down....like $7-8 shipped?

If you haven't found one yet I have one you can have for shipping. Mike

#1310 7 years ago

Hi all, Just brought home a Gold Wings so I am now officially a member of this club. It isn't fully working yet but I plan on doing ground mods and I am considering buying a Piggy Deux for it. Anyone have one of those installed on your games? Did it solve any problems when you did?

#1311 7 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Hi all, Just brought home a Gold Wings so I am now officially a member of this club. It isn't fully working yet but I plan on doing ground mods and I am considering buying a Piggy Deux for it. Anyone have one of those installed on your games? Did it solve any problems when you did?

Yes. Had a Hollywood Heat that would occasionally lock up during play (display go blank, etc. etc.). A Piggy Deux was purchased, EPROM transferred, and board installed. Problems went away. I also made my own harness to keep the Watchdog Reset board attached to the system.

#1312 7 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

Thanks for the info, I'm going to pull the assembly this weekend to clean and inspect. I am having some scoring issues, please see my thread referenced above if you have any advice.

So I pulled and cleaned the assembly, coil sleeves looked good, so I just cleaned them. I replaced the rubber pad on the bottom with some weatherstripping. All seem to work well, now I am having the same problem again. Maybe I just need to replace the coil sleeves? Any other suggestions?

#1313 7 years ago

I need hep from a System 80b guru. My Gold Wings has a Swemmer CPU in it. The machine worked for two days. I moved all my machines 2' yesterday into chevron configuration, and it stopped booting! Im loosing my mind because I have a party next weekend and I really wanted to have 6 working machines up.

I re-seated all the connectors, no change. All I have is attract lights and the florescent tube for the back glass. The swemmer's 5v LED is lit. Im not sure what else is needed to boot this machine. I didnt get a manual with the game for the Swemmer. Does any one have any advice or have a Swemmer manual that might help?

Thanks

#1314 7 years ago

Im thinking maybe a piggy deux will fix my issues? Im not sure my GW has a reset board though. I may have to steal it from a friends Hollywood Heat.

#1315 7 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I need hep from a System 80b guru. My Gold Wings has a Swemmer CPU in it. The machine worked for two days. I moved all my machines 2' yesterday into chevron configuration, and it stopped booting! Im loosing my mind because I have a party next weekend and I really wanted to have 6 working machines up.
I re-seated all the connectors, no change. All I have is attract lights and the florescent tube for the back glass. The swemmer's 5v LED is lit. Im not sure what else is needed to boot this machine. I didnt get a manual with the game for the Swemmer. Does any one have any advice or have a Swemmer manual that might help?
Thanks

Have you checked the fuses with a multimeter?

If the lamps are going into attract mode, it's booting. It sounds like the display is out for some reason.

#1316 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Have you checked the fuses with a multimeter?
If the lamps are going into attract mode, it's booting. It sounds like the display is out for some reason.

I have not. I will.

I cant start a game either.

#1317 7 years ago

I have not. I will.
I cant start a game either.

Could be the primary solenoid fuse, or one of the fuses on the underside of the playfield. Or an issue with the trough switch. Or no credits.

Getting the display working again first will be able to tell you more.

#1318 6 years ago

Ok, just got home and hoped maybe sitting overnight would do the trick, no go.

Weird thing I noticed though, is that the flippers work. I cant coin up, or start a game. Theres one ball in the top left eject. I pushed the trough switch to simulate the ball in case that was the issue no change.

Family time and then ill check the fuses.

#1319 6 years ago

Fuses check out. I did notice some toastyness on the display boards though.

IMG_3328 (resized).JPGIMG_3328 (resized).JPG

#1320 6 years ago

I broke her down. Cleaned her. New LEDs. New rubbers. Did one ground mod. Another tomorrow. Still no action from pops, sling, flippers, and No GI. But otherwise the game plays. Switches work. Scoring, displays, music all work. Any ideas? I've got a Piggy Deux on the way. Hopefully that helps.

P.S. those hard to find connectors for the ground mod are in large supply in SLC let me know if you need some sent to you!

IMG_2661 (resized).JPGIMG_2661 (resized).JPG

#1321 6 years ago

So this is where I am at. Im not sure where to go from here, and I have a pile of other projects to get done this weekend. I need this thing working for my party next weekend.

Are there any System 80b gurus in my area that want to come by and have a go at it? I can pay in beer or cash. Let me know.

#1322 6 years ago

The Tilt relay will disconnect power to all the solenoids you mentioned as well as turn off playfield GI. So it sounds like that relay is stuck on.

#1323 6 years ago

So this is where I am at. Im not sure where to go from here, and I have a pile of other projects to get done this weekend. I need this thing working for my party next weekend.
Are there any System 80b gurus in my area that want to come by and have a go at it? I can pay in beer or cash. Let me know.
» YouTube video

I could possibly come by and check it out. Mike

#1324 6 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

The Tilt relay will disconnect power to all the solenoids you mentioned as well as turn off playfield GI. So it sounds like that relay is stuck on.

But it is still scoring on drop targets and roll over switches and such. This is my first project pin so I really don't know what I'm doing haha. Have some stuff coming in the mail. Hopefully will have a positive update soon!

#1325 6 years ago

HAPPY DANCE UPDATE: I finished a couple of grounding mods along with some other small things and the machine is back in action!!! Couldn't be happier. Everything seems to be working great except the GI is still out. The lights on the pops are out as well but they may be part of GI??? Again, first project pin so I'm taking stabs in the dark. Piggy Deux is in the mail so I will install when it gets here and see if that helps. Anyway, just wanted to be stoked at you guys for a second.

#1326 6 years ago

GI was just a fuse . Tested them when I first got the machine and they tested fine but must have blown during repairs. Gold Wings is up and running 100%!!!

1 week later
#1327 6 years ago

Having issues with my Joker Poker again. If anyone has any ideas...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joker-poker-issues#post-3703535
I swear I think its haunted...

#1328 6 years ago

Hey guys...I recently picked up a Bad Girls and the mirrored stickers on all of the plastics are coming up in most places. Does anyone have any pics or pointers on what they did to restore/replace them? I was thinking it'd be cool (or even more obnoxious) to replace them all with some solid fluorescent colored stickers.

#1329 6 years ago

Got my GW up for my party thanks to psd4me. Stand up guy. Cant say enough nice things.

Now time to fix the real issues. Both swemmers I have tested out with his system 80 test board, but neither would boot a machine. Going to send them back for evaluation.

Check out this video. I have my air siren triggering at weird times other than the 500k shot. I also seem to have a light locked on (plane shaped adv multiplier). I used psd4me's driver board but that changed nothing. Was hoping it was a bad transistor.

#1330 6 years ago

I also seem to have a light locked on (plane shaped adv multiplier). I used psd4me's driver board but that changed nothing. Was hoping it was a bad transistor.

Never worked on a gold wings but gottlieb put transistors all over the place as they ran out of room on the driver board, just follow the wires and see where they go, i had 6 shorted transistors under a playfield of a monte carlo.

#1331 6 years ago
Quoted from PJKools:

Hey guys...I recently picked up a Bad Girls and the mirrored stickers on all of the plastics are coming up in most places. Does anyone have any pics or pointers on what they did to restore/replace them? I was thinking it'd be cool (or even more obnoxious) to replace them all with some solid fluorescent colored stickers.

I used crome tape. The kind you find a a automotive store, 3" wide roll. Stuck it on top then cut around plastics with a razor. I was very pleased with the results.

#1332 6 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

I used crome tape. The kind you find a a automotive store, 3" wide roll. Stuck it on top then cut around plastics with a razor. I was very pleased with the results.

Thanks Ryan...I'll go that route if I don't find something with a little more color that I like. Bad Girls is a hideous work or art so I'm hoping the gameplay is actually as good as some claim it to be.

#1333 6 years ago
Quoted from PJKools:

Thanks Ryan...I'll go that route if I don't find something with a little more color that I like. Bad Girls is a hideous work or art so I'm hoping the gameplay is actually as good as some claim it to be.

Its really fun to play but hard to look at!

1 week later
#1334 6 years ago

I just re-arranged the games room for a back wall Gottlieb System 80B lineup. Just one is missing, Robowar awaiting a rebuild with new playfield... need a bigger wall.

WP_20170421_17_47_09_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20170421_17_47_09_Pro (resized).jpg

#1335 6 years ago

Cool ill take the txsector

#1336 6 years ago

Hey all, been a while since I've been around but just wanted to say hi and congratulate you guys on owning some awesome and mostly overlooked and underrated games .. enjoy

IMG_1404 (resized).JPGIMG_1404 (resized).JPG

IMG_1401 (resized).JPGIMG_1401 (resized).JPG

IMG_1401 (resized).JPGIMG_1401 (resized).JPG

IMG_1399 (resized).JPGIMG_1399 (resized).JPG

IMG_1398 (resized).JPGIMG_1398 (resized).JPG

#1337 6 years ago

It's about time you showed up, I don't know when your coming to Allentown? But give me a call when you are there.

#1338 6 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

It's about time you showed up, I don't know when your coming to Allentown? But give me a call when you are there.

Will do... And don't forget to beat the kids for me.

#1339 6 years ago

Anyone know why the Ball in Play display would be getting overlaid onto the P1 display? I've swapped displays around but the issues stays on P1.

Pictures show blinking score after starting 1 player game.

IMAG2070 (resized).jpgIMAG2070 (resized).jpg

IMAG2072 (resized).jpgIMAG2072 (resized).jpg

#1340 6 years ago

What's the easiest way to get the balls out of a Black Hole without taking the apron off before lifting the playfield?

#1341 6 years ago

Nevermind, I figured it out

#1342 6 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Anyone know why the Ball in Play display would be getting overlaid onto the P1 display? I've swapped displays around but the issues stays on P1.
Pictures show blinking score after starting 1 player game.

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_1#Individual_6-digit_Display_Interferes_With_Other_Displays

One of the displays might have a bad R1 resistor.

If you disconnect all the displays and only leave only the player 1 display connected, what happens? If it still happens, swap a different display into the player 1 position and see if it still happens. If not, connect another display and then see if it happens. (when disconnecting/connecting displays, make sure to do it with the power off)

The idea is to try to isolate which display might be causing a problem (if the problem is actually on a display).

#1343 6 years ago

Down to single membership with Genesis after selling Monte Carlo last week

20170421_172955 (resized).jpg20170421_172955 (resized).jpg

#1344 6 years ago

I have a MC topper and can bring it to pinfest if anyone would like it...$250 LMK

#1345 6 years ago

I know someone thats looking for one, but i don't think he will be at pinfest.

Quoted from Gerry:I have a MC topper and can bring it to pinfest if anyone would like it...$250 LMK

#1346 6 years ago

I can ship it for him.

#1347 6 years ago

My membership to the club may be lessening by 1. ill still be in the club with NM, and MGOW. please let me know if any of you are interested. please ask questions if you have any.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-solar-ride-2
if your curious about the repinning or lighted flipper button i took videos of the process

Thanks for looking

#1348 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_1#Individual_6-digit_Display_Interferes_With_Other_Displays
One of the displays might have a bad R1 resistor.
If you disconnect all the displays and only leave only the player 1 display connected, what happens? If it still happens, swap a different display into the player 1 position and see if it still happens. If not, connect another display and then see if it happens. (when disconnecting/connecting displays, make sure to do it with the power off)
The idea is to try to isolate which display might be causing a problem (if the problem is actually on a display).

So, I unplugged each display one at a time, including the credit display and there was no change. I swapped P1 with another display and no change.

This is with a brand new Ni-wumpf CPU, btw.

#1349 6 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

So, I unplugged each display one at a time, including the credit display and there was no change. I swapped P1 with another display and no change.
This is with a brand new Ni-wumpf CPU, btw.

Did you also disconnect the credit display?

#1350 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Did you also disconnect the credit display?

Quoted from aobrien5:

including the credit display

I did.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn
Toys/Add-ons
There are 6,524 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/27?hl=pjkools and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.