(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,524 posts
  • 648 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 42 hours ago by JakePG
  • Topic is favorited by 322 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg
IMG_5720(1) (resized).jpg
IMG_5721(1) (resized).jpg
IMG_5719 (resized).jpg
IMG_3287 (resized).jpeg
20240131_210835 (resized).jpg
20240131_210842 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240110_003042000.MP (resized).jpg
PXL_20240110_004644797 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,524 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 131.
#1151 7 years ago

DSC03372 (resized).JPGDSC03372 (resized).JPG

#1152 7 years ago

I have three System 1 games: Dragon, Cleopatra and Genie.

I wouldn't mind adding another one or two.

I like the way these play !

#1153 7 years ago

Moved to resto thread

#1154 7 years ago

Can I join the club? I picked up my first solid state game recently, a Gottlieb Dragon. It was fun to bring it back to life. Clay's guide was invaluable!

#1155 7 years ago

Has that Spirit been under water at sometime? Door mech looks to have major water spots all over it.

#1156 7 years ago

Nah the door was left in a evaporust pool and it had that undesired effect.. waiting for a replacement to come up local.

#1157 7 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

I have three System 1 games: Dragon, Cleopatra and Genie.
I wouldn't mind adding another one or two.
I like the way these play !

I would like to find a Hulk to add to my collection...

#1158 7 years ago

I have a display that is working except for a blank ones digit. Does that mean I need the UDN6116 chip?

IMG_20161121_205413452~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20161121_205413452~2 (resized).jpg

#1159 7 years ago
Quoted from polyacanthus:

I have a display that is working except for a blank ones digit. Does that mean I need the UDN6116 chip?

Does the display exhibit the same symptoms when you move it to another player position? Or does the problem remain at the player 2 position?

#1160 7 years ago

Finally got to see a Spring Break in person... killer machine! Super tall game too haha. I'm 6 feet tall and it comes up to my mid stomach little kid proof

#1161 7 years ago

My modified, updated Solar Ride. Swapped out to a much nicer play field, mostly new clear colored inserts, new rebuilt pop bumpers with pop bumper LED's, full LED's, 3 coats of clear coat and a layer of mylar over entire field, rebuilt drop targets, rebuilt flips. Plays fast and looks much more cleaner than the older opaque inserts...i only kept the original multiplier inserts around the center.

I have lots of leftover parts of anyone needs anything. Almost the entire harness from the other play field.

Sight_2016_11_16_213727_788 (resized).jpgSight_2016_11_16_213727_788 (resized).jpg

Sight_2016_11_16_213734_882 (resized).jpgSight_2016_11_16_213734_882 (resized).jpg

Sight_2016_11_16_213720_253 (resized).jpgSight_2016_11_16_213720_253 (resized).jpg

Sight_2016_11_16_213715_747 (resized).jpgSight_2016_11_16_213715_747 (resized).jpg

#1162 7 years ago

Nice looking Solar Ride. I just picked one up yesterday (as well as a Cleopatra), love the backglass art on this machine and my BG is in amazing shape, but hard as heck to take a picture of all the mirror!

Do you happen to know a source for plastics, the usual haunts don't seem to have any? A couple of mine are broken or severely warped.

2016-11-27 16.49.07 (resized).jpg2016-11-27 16.49.07 (resized).jpg

#1163 7 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

Nice looking Solar Ride. I just picked one up yesterday (as well as a Cleopatra), love the backglass art on this machine and my BG is in amazing shape, but hard as heck to take a picture of all the mirror!
Do you happen to know a source for plastics, the usual haunts don't seem to have any? A couple of mine are broken or severely warped.

I have a second set, kinda yellowed, if you need any. Let me know what you are looking for.

#1164 7 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

I have a second set, kinda yellowed, if you need any. Let me know what you are looking for.

Thanks, just picked up a couple used ones for my broken ones, and I'm going to try the heat to flatten my other warped ones, I'll be in touch if/when I mess them up The big one on the right, is the main one I'm going to attempt to flatten.

#1165 7 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

Thanks, just picked up a couple used ones for my broken ones, and I'm going to try the heat to flatten my other warped ones, I'll be in touch if/when I mess them up The big one on the right, is the main one I'm going to attempt to flatten.

No problem. Just PM me if you need anything, I have ask the playoffs and ah almost complete harness, pop bumpers, drop target assembly available. Good luck....350 degrees and count to thirty five, then pull that plastic and quickly get it inside a dictionary or cook book. Let it cool for 10 minutes. It worked for me when I was flattening out my Elektra plastics.

#1166 7 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

No problem. Just PM me if you need anything, I have all the plastics and an almost complete harness, pop bumpers, drop target assembly available. Good luck....350 degrees and count to thirty five, then pull that plastic and quickly get it inside a dictionary or cook book. Let it cool for 10 minutes. It worked for me when I was flattening out my Elektra plastics.

#1167 7 years ago

HI, not a club member yet, but I hope to this weekend with a Genie. I've never seen this era of Gottlieb machine so I'm not at all familiar with them particularly for transport. I'm wondering if the head comes off these sys 1 machines or do they at least fold down? It is full on winter here so it has to get covered up into the back of my pickup. I know it will be a heavy little piece of kit so will bring an assistant with strong back. Any tips would be appreciated. Does the backglass lift out too?
Thanks!

#1168 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Does the display exhibit the same symptoms when you move it to another player position? Or does the problem remain at the player 2 position?

I hadn't even monkeyed with it yet so I swapped the player 2 and 4 displays, then 2 was perfect and 4 had all digits now but was missing the top segment on all digits. I figured it must be a connector thing then. Reseated the connector and viola, all displays are good! Thanks!

#1169 7 years ago
Quoted from BCpinhead:

HI, not a club member yet, but I hope to this weekend with a Genie. I've never seen this era of Gottlieb machine so I'm not at all familiar with them particularly for transport. I'm wondering if the head comes off these sys 1 machines or do they at least fold down? It is full on winter here so it has to get covered up into the back of my pickup. I know it will be a heavy little piece of kit so will bring an assistant with strong back. Any tips would be appreciated. Does the backglass lift out too?
Thanks!

Not sure on Genie, but on my Joker Poker, I unhook the wires, and unbolt the head. I usually leave the BG in the head, and strap it in the seat. But the BG can be removed.

#1170 7 years ago

Is anyone repairing sys1 boards nowadays? I haven't seen Chris Hibler in this thread for a while.

I'll be getting a Cleopatra next week that's going to be a revival project. It has (what appears to be minor) acid damage, but pretty much everything about the boards is unknown.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in a new thread once I get into it, as this is my first Gottlieb. I've already started prepping with pinrepair/pinwiki.

Thanks

#1171 7 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Is anyone repairing sys1 boards nowadays? I haven't seen Chris Hibler in this thread for a while.
I'll be getting a Cleopatra next week that's going to be a revival project. It has (what appears to be minor) acid damage, but pretty much everything about the boards is unknown.
I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in a new thread once I get into it, as this is my first Gottlieb. I've already started prepping with pinrepair/pinwiki.
Thanks

Nobody repairs them professionally anymore that I'm aware of. Those spider chips are unobtainable, so nobody will touch them. And the costs of repairs would probably be more than the cost of an aftermarket replacement.

However, I do usually at least try to work on them in my own games--so far, I've been lucky in that there are either battery damage issues or a bad RAM chip. Nothing catastrophic so far (like a U5 spider chip failure).

#1172 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Nobody repairs them professionally anymore that I'm aware of. Those spider chips are unobtainable, so nobody will touch them. And the costs of repairs would probably be more than the cost of an aftermarket replacement.
However, I do usually at least try to work on them in my own games--so far, I've been lucky in that there are either battery damage issues or a bad RAM chip. Nothing catastrophic so far (like a U5 spider chip failure).

Well, that sucks. I guess I'll get to try my hand at repairing acid damage for the first time. Then probably buy a replacement boardset anyway.

#1173 7 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Thanks

It is not so hard to repair a sys1 machine as you think; and there is - against all rumors - a lot of information available about all sys1 boards and here are very knowledgeable people, who can help you.

If you get your machine, make high resolution photos of your CPU-board and we can help you.

Experience has shown, that 99% of all sys1 problems are the connectors, these should be replaced all, if you want to have a reliable machine.

So no fear of sys1, all will become good. ....

#1174 7 years ago
Quoted from german-pinball:

It is not so hard to repair a sys1 machine as you think; and there is - against all rumors - a lot of information available about all sys1 boards and here are very knowledgeable people, that can help you.
If you get your machine, make high resolution photos of your CPU-board and we can help you.
Experience has shown, that 99% of all sys1 problems are the connectors, these should be replaced all, if you want to have a reliable machine.

This statement makes my task less daunting, as I will take on my none/partly functioning Charlie's Angeles during next year.

Cheers
/mima

#1175 7 years ago
Quoted from german-pinball:

It is not so hard to repair a sys1 machine as you think; and there is - against all rumors - a lot of information available about all sys1 boards and here are very knowledgeable people, who can help you.

Yes, thanks for that. I'm not new to replacing connectors, so that's no worry.

First question - has anyone made a knock-off molex extractor that doesn't cost $20?

#1177 7 years ago

Going through Clay's guide to bulletproof my Dragon after getting it going. Incredibly helpful BTW, thanks Clay if you're reading.

He recommends adding 3 fuses to the small transformer (mine doesn't have its own line fuse). Is there consensus on this? I'm just curious because the large transformer doesn't have its own line fuse either, just uses the combined 5A fuse. Will the large transformer pop the 5A before burning up its primary coil but the small transformer wont?

#1178 7 years ago

Going through Clay's guide to bulletproof my Dragon after getting it going. Incredibly helpful BTW, thanks Clay if you're reading.
He recommends adding 3 fuses to the small transformer (mine doesn't have its own line fuse). Is there consensus on this? I'm just curious because the large transformer doesn't have its own line fuse either, just uses the combined 5A fuse. Will the large transformer pop the 5A before burning up its primary coil but the small transformer wont?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-small-transformer-issues

#1179 7 years ago

10 years ago, I made this grafic, mightbe, that can help others (mightbe, in the US the fuses have another value!!!):

SYS1 trafo-board (resized).jpgSYS1 trafo-board (resized).jpg

#1180 7 years ago

Can any mars god of war owners please post or send a picture of the wire harness that connects the chaser board under the playfield to the LED strip above the playfield? I need a pic of both ends please, to create my own.

#1181 7 years ago

Xenon75, all I have right now. Sucks right? I took this pic during my tear down. I try to get you what you need tonight unless someone else beats me to it.

IMG_7555[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7555[1] (resized).JPG

#1182 7 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

No problem. Just PM me if you need anything, I have ask the playoffs and ah almost complete harness, pop bumpers, drop target assembly available. Good luck....350 degrees and count to thirty five, then pull that plastic and quickly get it inside a dictionary or cook book. Let it cool for 10 minutes. It worked for me when I was flattening out my Elektra plastics.

Hey polyacanthus - would you happen to have an extra one of these plastics? It is the only one that I need to replace on my Solar Ride.

Solar Ride (resized).PNGSolar Ride (resized).PNG

#1184 7 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

Hey polyacanthus - would you happen to have an extra one of these plastics? It is the only one that I need to replace on my Solar Ride.

I have one, yellowed, but if you need one to fill a spot it works.

Sight_2016_12_01_160459_189 (resized).jpgSight_2016_12_01_160459_189 (resized).jpg

#1185 7 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

Hey polyacanthus

You must have me confused with someone else, I no haz parts!

#1186 7 years ago

Thanks, I wasn't searching with the correct terms apparently.

A couple other questions, hopefully they're fine here, I don't think they warrant their own threads. First, these finish nails in the playfield, what are they for? Are they original? To prop up saggy plastics maybe? Three in this pic, probably half a dozen more.

Second, I need to add a battery to the mpu, I have holders for AAAs and 2032. How long does a coin cell last in these vs AAA or AA?

IMG_20161031_024111020~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20161031_024111020~2 (resized).jpg

#1187 7 years ago

A couple other questions, hopefully they're fine here, I don't think they warrant their own threads. First, these finish nails in the playfield, what are they for? Are they original? To prop up saggy plastics maybe? Three in this pic, probably half a dozen more.

They're factory. They prevent balls from getting stuck in areas where they aren't supposed to go. They're usually found under slingshots, but can be found elsewhere too, as you've discovered.

Second, I need to add a battery to the mpu, I have holders for AAAs and 2032. How long does a coin cell last in these vs AAA or AA?

Go with a coin cell battery. You won't have to worry about leaky batteries.

You can usually safely go 10 years with a coin cell battery before you should change it out, as long as there isn't a problem that drains it prematurely.

#1188 7 years ago

You must have me confused with someone else, I no haz parts!

Yes, my first time using the new user tag feature and I tag the wrong person. I am getting so old, this must be what my mom felt like when she messes up with Facebook, lol.

#1189 7 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

I have one, yellowed, but if you need one to fill a spot it works.

That is the right side one, would you happen to have the left side one?

#1190 7 years ago
Quoted from REGNE:

Xenon75, all I have right now. Sucks right? I took this pic during my tear down. I try to get you what you need tonight unless someone else beats me to it.

Thank you, I appreciate it!

#1191 7 years ago

Got the new kids (Cleo and Solar) all setup and everything working right yesterday. Here's a pic of the current system 1 lineup, 1/4th of the way to having them all LOL. They all have different board setups, PP with Pascal's all-in-one, Cleo all original boards, Solar Pascal MPU original power and driver boards, and Joker with Ni-wumpf and rottendog power and driver, a little bit of everything. Looking for a nice Cleo backglass if anyone knows where one is, while I kind of think the seriously cracked look is kind of cool it is going to bug me over time.

2016-12-01 19.01.52 (resized).jpg2016-12-01 19.01.52 (resized).jpg

#1192 7 years ago

That is a nice looking lineup! I wish my Solar Ride backglass looked that good!

#1193 7 years ago

Hey guys, after years of searching, I finally found a Genesis! It was missing the legs, can someone tell me, does it use standard or Gottlieb legs?

#1194 7 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

That is a nice looking lineup! I wish my Solar Ride backglass looked that good!

Thanks! Yeah, that backglass is in amazing shape, love the artwork on it, dang hard to photograph with all the mirroring though.

2016-11-28 07.09.41 (resized).jpg2016-11-28 07.09.41 (resized).jpg

#1195 7 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

Hey guys, after years of searching, I finally found a Genesis! It was missing the legs, can someone tell me, does it use standard or Gottlieb legs?

mine has the 27 inch gottlieb legs and the manual shows part number 4337

#1196 7 years ago

Just got my Cleopatra home. Look for lots of questions soon. She's going to be quite a project!

First question... Anybody got an extra center plastic?

#1197 7 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

mine has the 27 inch gottlieb legs and the manual shows part number 4337

Thanks for the response. I looked up that part on Marco and it says that D-4337 is for front legs and that D-3768 is for the back legs.
I've never heard of a machine having two different sized legs but this is also my first Gottlieb.

#1198 7 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

Thanks for the response. I looked up that part on Marco and it says that D-4337 is for front legs and that D-3768 is for the back legs.
I've never heard of a machine having two different sized legs but this is also my first Gottlieb.

EDIT: I just talked to Steve over at Marco's. He thinks that the only game that Gottlieb used different legs he believes was Caveman. So I just need to get 4 x 4337.

Thanks for the help.

#1199 7 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

Got the new kids (Cleo and Solar) all setup and everything working right yesterday. Here's a pic of the current system 1 lineup, 1/4th of the way to having them all LOL. They all have different board setups, PP with Pascal's all-in-one, Cleo all original boards, Solar Pascal MPU original power and driver boards, and Joker with Ni-wumpf and rottendog power and driver, a little bit of everything. Looking for a nice Cleo backglass if anyone knows where one is, while I kind of think the seriously cracked look is kind of cool it is going to bug me over time.

What kind of luck have you had on the JP using a Niwumph MPU and Rottendog driver board? I had no luck that way, and Ace at Niwumph said it wouldn't work.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
There are 6,524 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.