(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,511 posts
  • 646 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Zigzagzag
  • Topic is favorited by 322 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg
IMG_5720(1) (resized).jpg
IMG_5721(1) (resized).jpg
IMG_5719 (resized).jpg
IMG_3287 (resized).jpeg
20240131_210835 (resized).jpg
20240131_210842 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240110_003042000.MP (resized).jpg
PXL_20240110_004644797 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240110_003120564 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
5VB1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1301 (resized).png
IMG_1300 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,511 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 131.
#1101 7 years ago
Quoted from supermoot:

One of my flippers has been sticking up on Hollywood Heat. The actuator has worn a groove into the new eos I installed less than a year ago. It gets hung up a little. I fixed it temporarily by wiggling the stack to a different angle. Anyone see anything like this happen before? Is the switch metal just too soft?

Very common problem when we were operating Gottlieb pins back in the day.

Like you did, rotate the switch stack a little to use a new spot on the EOS leaf. Put a dab of super lube on the spot to reduce friction/wear.

You can always add a blank leaf blade to you existing switch stack to get a fresh surface.

1 week later
#1102 7 years ago

Is anyone able to help me out with the fuse values page for a Punk! alas I don't have a copy of the manual..

1 week later
#1103 7 years ago

I have a panthera manual and score cards for sale $20 shipped in the US

IMG_20160603_230949_489_(resized).jpgIMG_20160603_230949_489_(resized).jpg

#1104 7 years ago

I have a black hole with no sound and the displays quit working,
displays were when I originally plugged it in
game plays

#1105 7 years ago

Try rebuilding your A2 power supply and re-flowing the header pins. Also replace all the connector crimps with trifurcon type for less resistance.

Steve
System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

Quoted from Paulb:

I have a black hole with no sound and the displays quit working,
displays were when I originally plugged it in
game plays

#1106 7 years ago

Got another Sys 80! Anybody have a manual?

0609161506_(resized).jpg0609161506_(resized).jpg

0609161506a_(resized).jpg0609161506a_(resized).jpg

#1107 7 years ago
Quoted from Bruce56:

That is nice! I played one of those is college (way too much) and spent years looking for one before my wife bought me the Gold Wings for my 40th birthday. I didn't even know it was a Gottlieb. I'd love to see your playing vid when it is done

Will do! Just need to find the time to finish it..kinda hit a wall and have some trouble shooting to do

3 weeks later
#1108 7 years ago

Love these pins, need a Excalibur, TX, Robowar, Hollywood Heat and BigHouse to complete my mission.

DSC03074_(resized).JPGDSC03074_(resized).JPG

DSC03075_(resized).JPGDSC03075_(resized).JPG

DSC03076_(resized).JPGDSC03076_(resized).JPG

DSC03077_(resized).JPGDSC03077_(resized).JPG

1 week later
#1109 7 years ago

Hey sys80 friends,

One of our beloved sys80 gurus, Steve Charland (aka blownfuse), is smack in the middle of a long healing process in long term care. Between chemo and pain meds, it makes it more challenging to focus and feel comfortable, so he's not on the internet these days.

"Hey Steve is great -- he's helped me with my sys80 machine! Get well, brother!"
"Wait, can I help Steve out in any way?"

YES. You can make a big difference in his healing.

He sure misses reading your stories on Pinside. Imagine being off Pinside for a few weeks? He could sure use some healthy doses of pinball distractions like we get every day.

Brother, can you spare 10 minutes of your day?

Please email me your most recent pinball story (doesn't have to be sys80 related, but always nice, right?), and I'll print 'em out with bigger fonts, and I'll deliver them to the hospital every few days.

From Steve, his family, and friends,

Thank you for helping him heal up!
-mof

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/speedy-recovery-mr-charland

#1110 7 years ago

I like sys 1 and sys 80 gottliebs. Got BH, HH and Cleopatra now. Would love to find a Star Race.

14687604990501892313619_(resized).jpg14687604990501892313619_(resized).jpg

14687605366651207099050_(resized).jpg14687605366651207099050_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#1111 7 years ago

Added another last week, great game.

DSC03096_(resized).JPGDSC03096_(resized).JPG

DSC03093_(resized).JPGDSC03093_(resized).JPG

DSC03101_(resized).JPGDSC03101_(resized).JPG

#1112 7 years ago

Need to adjust (align) my flippers on my Star Race. I know that you have two bolts with allen heads and that you must loosen them to make adjustments. What I want to know is if it's necessary to loosen both or just one? I'm assuming that one bolt allows you to adjust height relative to the playfield and the other allows you to align left/right (towards or away from center drain) so if this is correct, does anyone know which bolt controls alignment rather than height adjustment?

#1113 7 years ago

Both bolts lock the collar to the flipper shaft. Both must be loosened to do either adjustment (hieght or rotation). You will also find the set screws have made a diver in the flipper shaft and they might keep slipping back into the old position. If this happens, swap right and left flippers for a fresh spot on the shaft.

#1114 7 years ago

Thx Cactus, I'll check it out tomorrow morning. Right now I'm going in to see the new Jason Bourne movie!

#1115 7 years ago

That should have read divot, not diver.

How was the 4th instalment if Bourne?

#1116 7 years ago

Has anyone used the Gottlieb system 1 Mark II CPU replacement board and driver board by NI-WUMPE?
if so, what do you thing about it? I guess I should have asked this question before ordering. It would make me feel better getting positive feedback about them.

#1117 7 years ago
Quoted from bronco-jon:

Has anyone used the Gottlieb system 1 Mark II CPU replacement board and driver board by NI-WUMPE?
if so, what do you thing about it? I guess I should have asked this question before ordering. It would make me feel better getting positive feedback about them.

I have and prefer the Pascal board over it still.

#1118 7 years ago

A Ni-wumpf came in my Joker Poker when i bought it, have not had any issues seems to work just fine. I also recently replaced all the boards in my Pinball Pool with the Pascal all-in-one board, and it was quick and easy and also works just fine. Given the choice and especially if having to replace more than 1 board I would go the Pascal all-in-one for simplicity sake, but like I say my Ni-wumpf works just fine, no issues.

#1119 7 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

A Ni-wumpf came in my Joker Poker when i bought it, have not had any issues seems to work just fine. I also recently replaced all the boards in my Pinball Pool with the Pascal all-in-one board, and it was quick and easy and also works just fine. Given the choice and especially if having to replace more than 1 board I would go the Pascal all-in-one for simplicity sake, but like I say my Ni-wumpf works just fine, no issues.

That's good to hear, Pinball Pool is what these boards will be going in. It already had a new Rottendog power supply in it. Steve Young at PBR said he wasn't 100% positive if the Rottendog power supply was compatible with these boards but said it would probably be fine.

#1120 7 years ago

I have a widebody lockdown bar for sale, $100
a good working system 80 sound/speech board for sale for $110

pm if interested

#1121 7 years ago
Quoted from JMP:

Hi, John in the UK here. Love the System 80B's, mainly for the music and sounds on them. Proper 80's stuff.
Own and frequently play my Robowar, TX Sector & Raven with a Hot Shots on the way. Once had Arena and Victory too but now moved on.
Really want to find an Excalibur at top of list, but also a Diamond lady, Bone Busters and maybe Rock. PM me if want to sell
Got a 'My Pinballs' new CPU in TX Sector and Fred Swemmer board in my Robowar and both work great. Top marks to those guys for keeping these machines alive.

Editing this earlier post, I now have an Excalibur, Arena re-acquired and Hot Shots has gone (as did Victory before it). Looking for a Diamond Lady, Rock and Bounty Hunter to complete my System 80B want list.

20160801_195010_(resized).jpg20160801_195010_(resized).jpg

20160801_194935_(resized).jpg20160801_194935_(resized).jpg

20160801_195037_(resized).jpg20160801_195037_(resized).jpg

#1122 7 years ago
Quoted from bronco-jon:

That's good to hear, Pinball Pool is what these boards will be going in. It already had a new Rottendog power supply in it. Steve Young at PBR said he wasn't 100% positive if the Rottendog power supply was compatible with these boards but said it would probably be fine.

I didn't mention it but my Joker Poker has Rottendog power and driver boards with the ni-wumpf so they are definitely compatible.

#1123 7 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

I didn't mention it but my Joker Poker has Rottendog power and driver boards with the ni-wumpf so they are definitely compatible.

My Joker Poker also has a Rottendog PS. I also have a niwumph driver board ad CPU. I have heard that there can sometimes be issues between a RD Driver and a NiWumph CPU Board.

#1124 7 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

My Joker Poker also has a Rottendog PS. I also have a niwumph driver board ad CPU. I have heard that there can sometimes be issues between a RD Driver and a NiWumph CPU Board.

I think my driver board is ok but I went ahead and ordered both Ni-Wumph CPU and Driver boards just to be on the save side. I was really kinda wanting the all-in-one board, but it's a lil to late now.

#1125 7 years ago
Quoted from JMP:

Editing this earlier post, I now have an Excalibur, Arena re-acquired and Hot Shots has gone (as did Victory before it). Looking for a Diamond Lady, Rock and Bounty Hunter to complete my System 80B want list.

That's a lovely collection of 80b's!

There's a Diamond Lady for sale just across the North Sea. According to the owner, it's supposed to be collector quality. http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/verzamelen/automaten-flipperkasten/m1075420254-diamond-lady-in-verzamelstaat.html

Should you go on a trip to buy it, you're more than welcome for a coffee or beer and some pinball at my mini gameroom in Amsterdam.

#1126 7 years ago
Quoted from JMP:

Looking for a Diamond Lady, Rock and Bounty Hunter to complete my System 80B want list.

You don't want a Night Moves as well? Not that I'm looking at selling, but it should be in everyone's want list, or at least their 80B want list!

1 week later
#1127 7 years ago

Help! I just installed a new Ni-Wumph Mark II cpu and Driver board with new Rottendog power supply. It's not showing anything in the manual sent with the new boards about the problem I am having. After I installed the three boards with new CPU to Driver cable connector and powered it up, I am just getting 4 red leds on driver board steady lit, the four displays reading "320,000"then "0" back and fourth, the status display reading "0 10", the playfield and Back box GI's act like they are going through a test mode repeating the same thing over and over. there are three relays in the upper right under playfield ("Q" "T" "B") and the "B" relay keeps kicking in and out. ....never giving me the option to configure the board to my game (Pinball Pool). what I have described is all it will do.

#1128 7 years ago

Don't have an answer for that one, but the one time I e-mailed them they were very responsive. [email protected]

#1129 7 years ago

I messed with cleaning and bending the molex pins on the rest of the cables to make better connection and was able to configure the new board to my game and get set up menu, however, when starting game, it just kicks the ball to shooter lane and that's it, no flippers, pop bumpers, slingshots etc. it will score the 10 point leaf switchs when manually triggered and 1000 points one time when I drop one of the drop targets, then it stops any scoring. I guess my best bet is to replace all the connector pins and go from there. thanks for the email link Borgdog. think I will replace all the pins first and see what happens.

#1130 7 years ago

I also have emailed with Ace, and have found him to be very helpful. Also I think he told me, or I read, that the niwumph boards don't like the interconnect cable that have diodes installed. Don't know if yours does. just something I remember.

#1131 7 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

I also have emailed with Ace, and have found him to be very helpful. Also I think he told me, or I read, that the niwumph boards don't like the interconnect cable that have diodes installed. Don't know if yours does. just something I remember.

No, When ordering the cable, I read that the Niwumph has the diodes built into the board and don't need the cable with the diodes. only need (should use) when using the factory Rockwell board.

3 weeks later
#1132 7 years ago

Question about system 1 bridge rectifier.......can I use a 35 amp 1000 volt rectifier and be okay?

#1133 7 years ago

DSC03118 (resized).JPGDSC03118 (resized).JPG

DSC03121 (resized).JPGDSC03121 (resized).JPG

#1134 7 years ago

GREAT lineup!

#1135 7 years ago
Quoted from bronco-jon:

Question about system 1 bridge rectifier.......can I use a 35 amp 1000 volt rectifier and be okay?

Kind of a late response here, but yes, you can always use a bridge that is rated higher.

#1136 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Kind of a late response here, but yes, you can always use a bridge that is rated higher.

I do remember reading somewhere that it was better to go over factory rated volts but didn't know if going that much over was going too extreme with it. thanks for the reply.

#1137 7 years ago

Just picked up a Robo War. Very clean. I'll power it on tonight but I got it as non booting. Is there a step by step guide to go through to get it running. Boards looks great so thinking Ill start with connectors and fuses.

Anyone have a manual to sell?

#1138 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Just picked up a Robo War. Very clean. I'll power it on tonight but I got it as non booting. Is there a step by step guide to go through to get it running. Boards looks great so thinking Ill start with connectors and fuses.

start with doing the proper ground mods before you do anything
then check the slam tilt to make sure working correctly (pretty sure it is supposed to be normally closed and they commonly wont stay closed; I suggest clipping and soldering to closed.)
then check watchdog daughter board

IME 80B is rarely a connector or fuse issue. Of course it is worth checking them all to make sure they are good and correct

#1139 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Here's a general checklist:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Post-Purchase_Checklist

#1140 7 years ago

thanks..I have had several BH pins and know the ground mods are well documented...Ill have to research the mods for RW.

1 month later
#1141 7 years ago

Anybody happen to have an extra working 4 digit display that you would send me? Like a noob I snapped the teet off mine while trying to get the connector back on. ((Working on a Touchdown.))

Word of caution!! I was putting the connector back on one handed! My thumb was at the top and obviously wrapped to the back edge. As soon as I heard the snap (didn't take much pressure) I knew exactly what had happened. I was like FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU.........just like "Christmas Story." Always use two hands in the future!!

IMG_9829 (resized).PNGIMG_9829 (resized).PNG

IMG_9831 (resized).JPGIMG_9831 (resized).JPG
IMG_9833 (resized).JPGIMG_9833 (resized).JPG

#1142 7 years ago

OMG! I just realized I have never joined or been accepted to this "club".
I apologize for not introducing myself on here first. ((Prior to posting the need for a 4-digit futaba display))

I got my first pin 2 years ago. Mars God of War. Since then I've added a few more. Gottliebs that is.
I cut my teeth on SYS80, and... I guess its still my pacifier...so to speak. If I belong anywhere, it's here.

My current lineup:
Mars God of War
Black Hole
Amazing Spiderman

On deck (or maybe still in the dugout ):
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
- Still needs power supply work and fine tuning.

On the disabled list:
Touchdown
- needs 4-digit display now.
- looking for backglass or at least someone to scan theirs and send data.
- missing "cheering" sound (any thoughts), 2 pop bumpers not working, players 1&3 are missing millionths digit.
- anyone have manual/schematics to share?
- needs full clean and massage
- needs playfield glass

Gottlieb SS baby.

IMG_7104[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7104[1] (resized).JPG

IMG_7411[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7411[1] (resized).JPG

IMG_9739[1] (resized).PNGIMG_9739[1] (resized).PNG

#1143 7 years ago
Quoted from REGNE:

Anybody happen to have an extra working 4 digit display that you would send me? Like a noob I snapped the teet off mine while trying to get the connector back on. ((Working on a Touchdown.))

PBResource still might have some 4-digit glass left. I bought a few not too long ago.

#1144 7 years ago
Quoted from REGNE:

missing "cheering" sound (any thoughts)

If I remember right, one of the dip switches either on the MPU or on the sound board enables/disables the cheering.

Quoted from REGNE:

2 pop bumpers not working

I usually look at the pop bumper boards for cracked solder joints, connector issues, and component failures. That is, after eliminating the possibility of coil issues, cracked solder joints, switch issues, and wiring/connector issues.

Quoted from REGNE:

players 1&3 are missing millionths digit

When the same problem surfaces on paired displays, that usually indicates a connector/wiring issue at the MPU, dirty edge connectors, or a failed chip on the MPU.

#1145 7 years ago

Thanks for the reply & advise. Much obliged.
- It looks like PBResource has refurbished boards, but they are out of just the glass which is what I need (at minimum). My back might be up against the wall though.

- I will check the DIPs on the sound board tonight for the "cheering" sound. Makes sense cause it could get a little annoying. Maybe?

- For the pop bumpers, I've already ruled out the switches...I will pull the PBDBs tonight and review solder. I originally had one that didn't work (middle RH). When I was trying to determine which board went with which bumper another one (outer RH) stopped working. All fuses are correct value and still good. Guess I can always look for power to rule out wiring. Checking components and rebuilding PBDBs may be in my near future...I have one that hasn't yet had the recommended mod done to it.

- Score Displays... my thoughts as well. Looks like millionths on #1 & #3 is a digit issue D16. Connector A1J3 wire16. Chip Z26 pin8. I'll check wiring and also for failed chip. Shout out to Pinwiki!

Any one else out there have a 4-digit display they could part with out of the kindness of their heart??

#1146 7 years ago

I didn't think about telling you about this thread earlier.
Anyway, I have an extra 4-digit display and I bought new pop bumper caps for mine so I have a couple of those I can throw in too since it looks like you are missing one.
I'm not completely clear about pinside rules, so pm me if interested.

......EDITED: After reading some previous posts on this thread it looks like it's safe to say: $30.00 shipped for both the display and the bumper caps.

#1147 7 years ago
Quoted from bronco-jon:

I have an extra 4-digit display

Your offer is stand up, however, I ended up finding a replacement NOS 4-digit display (just the glass) on eBay. Pulled the trigger prior to seeing your post. I removed the glass from my board late last night. Now waiting for arrival. If it falls thru I'll have to PM you.

Regarding the PB caps. One of mine is broken, but the others look good. I will have to order from PBResource for other things so I was planing to get caps from them as well.

And an update:

Quoted from REGNE:

Chip Z26 pin8. I'll check wiring and also for failed chip.

I did find, by checking using diode mode on the DMM, red on pin7 black on pin8 was 0.080. Chip was already socketed. Pulled and replaced the 7404. Need to get all boards back in the cabinet, but I assume the millionths digit issue will be resolved.

#1148 7 years ago

DSC03337 (resized).JPGDSC03337 (resized).JPG
DSC03341 (resized).JPGDSC03341 (resized).JPG

Love sys 80's

#1149 7 years ago

Hello everyone
So glad to see that there is a club for us here. Thanks for making this thread.
I've been secretly in the club for a long time with my Night Moves. And again more recently with my Solar Ride.
As I'm sure you all know the re-pinning of these machines is an absolute must, and there are countless written how-to's on the subject. It took me a long while to read and reread all the documentation thats out there before i worked up the courage to do this myself. I wanted to let you all know of a recent video that I made and posted to YouTube regarding the re-pinning process. I hope this helps to clear up any questions one may have after reading how-to's on the subject. I found that there was a great lack of video documentation considering the popularity of the topic. Here is a link to the video...

I really hope you all like it and learn something from it.
Just trying to contribute to an awesome community that has unknowingly helped me countless times

#1150 7 years ago

Since I own two sys1 games (neither is functioning a@the moment. I figured I needed to say hi. Standing in my cave (among a few other games) is Charlie's Angeles and a Bell conversion kit converted game. From Close Encounters to Pinball - Movie.

Cheers.
/mima

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Baltimore, MD
There are 6,511 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.