(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,511 posts
  • 646 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Zigzagzag
  • Topic is favorited by 322 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg
IMG_5720(1) (resized).jpg
IMG_5721(1) (resized).jpg
IMG_5719 (resized).jpg
IMG_3287 (resized).jpeg
20240131_210835 (resized).jpg
20240131_210842 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240110_003042000.MP (resized).jpg
PXL_20240110_004644797 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240110_003120564 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
5VB1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1301 (resized).png
IMG_1300 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,511 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 131.
#701 8 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Have a bit of a question for other excaibur owners. When you launch the ball into play, does it go all the way around the ramp? I ask this because mine drops through the cut out part. I put in a stronger spring, a blue one, but it still is not going all the way around! Thanks

It takes some tuning but yes you can make it all the way around.

I actually set mine up so it specifically does not make it without a perfect plunge.

#702 8 years ago

Hi, John in the UK here. Love the System 80B's, mainly for the music and sounds on them. Proper 80's stuff.

Own and frequently play my Robowar, TX Sector & Raven with a Hot Shots on the way. Once had Arena and Victory too but now moved on.

Really want to find an Excalibur at top of list, but also a Diamond lady, Bone Busters and maybe Rock. PM me if want to sell

Got a 'My Pinballs' new CPU in TX Sector and Fred Swemmer board in my Robowar and both work great. Top marks to those guys for keeping these machines alive.

1 week later
#703 8 years ago

Arena arrived today, mind blowing pinball.

DSC01728.JPGDSC01728.JPG
DSC01729.JPGDSC01729.JPG
DSC01730.JPGDSC01730.JPG
DSC01731.JPGDSC01731.JPG

#704 8 years ago

You have a great collection going Hazoff!

We have very similar tastes in oddball games.

#705 8 years ago

Just finished this Sinbad.

Just love the Pascal 3x1 board especially the new features it gives the game.

DSC_5632.JPGDSC_5632.JPG DSC_5638.JPGDSC_5638.JPG DSC_5657.JPGDSC_5657.JPG DSC_5641.JPGDSC_5641.JPG DSC_5649.JPGDSC_5649.JPG
#706 8 years ago

Couple more shots.

I tried my best to keep the cost on this project down to a minimum. I spent about $100 with PB Resource (mainly new plastics - the old ones were wasted) and the Pascal board which runs around $270. Everything else was either cleaned, tumbled or soaked in rust remover!

DSC_5637.JPGDSC_5637.JPG
DSC_5635.JPGDSC_5635.JPG
DSC_5636.JPGDSC_5636.JPG

#707 8 years ago

Just picked up a Monte Carlo so I'm in. I just jacked up the board though. Thought I could do the repair on the daughter board but lifted some pads and traces. Anyone able to repair these? Or have a board for sale.?

Has anyone used Great Plains replacement daughter board?

#708 8 years ago

I need an arena, Tx Sector, and Robo war to make my dream sys80b collection.

#709 8 years ago

Contact Chris Hibler, he posts a lot of tech here and also does board work. Ed's U2/3 modules are awesome.

Steve

Quoted from Bax1:

Just picked up a Monte Carlo so I'm in. I just jacked up the board though. Thought I could do the repair on the daughter board but lifted some pads and traces. Anyone able to repair these? Or have a board for sale.?

#710 8 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

Which board are you looking for, the "piggy back" or the reset?

Quoted from blownfuse:

Contact Chris Hibler, he posts a lot of tech here and also does board work. Ed's U2/3 modules are awesome.
Steve

^^ oh, nvrmnd, I see.
I have a MPU/Daughter/Resest set I could part with.

2 weeks later
#711 8 years ago

hey guys, i have a system 80b and when i set the odd number dipswitches on i get A8 on the display, it is suppose to be AA, the even number switches on are reading correctly with 55 , does anyone know what A8 means? thanks

#712 8 years ago

Lighting done, many led strips were needed ot bring this gem to life but man she's glowing now. Cool game.
DSC01766.JPGDSC01766.JPGDSC01769.JPGDSC01769.JPGDSC01768.JPGDSC01768.JPGDSC01770.JPGDSC01770.JPGDSC01771.JPGDSC01771.JPGDSC01772.JPGDSC01772.JPG

#713 8 years ago

sweet looking game!

#714 8 years ago

I would love an arena. That, tx sector, and Excalibur are my dream sys80b lineup.

#715 8 years ago

Arena, TX sextor, Robowar and Excalibur. Thats my dream line up for the sys 80's then maybe throw in a Big house, Raven and Genesis just to complete the collection. I don't have enough room for all the pins I want, new house soon.

#716 8 years ago

Screenshot_2015-06-22-09-42-18.pngScreenshot_2015-06-22-09-42-18.png
I'm in! Picked up a Spirit, needs a bit of work so i'll be back here with some questions from time to time! First one is about the power supply, it came from Zimbabwe (yes seriously, a guy here got 2 shipping containers full of machines from the African continent) so it's operating on the same voltage as Australia, is it now just a case of changing the plug that goes into the wall? The manual is a bit vague..

#717 8 years ago
Quoted from Gerrard17:

Screenshot_2015-06-22-09-42-18.png
I'm in! Picked up a Spirit, needs a bit of work so i'll be back here with some questions from time to time! First one is about the power supply, it came from Zimbabwe (yes seriously, a guy here got 2 shipping containers full of machines from the African continent) so it's operating on the same voltage as Australia, is it now just a case of changing the plug that goes into the wall? The manual is a bit vague..

Wow, cool buy! Playfield looks pretty alright.. How's the backglass?

I'm interested to follow the progress you make restoring this game. Good luck!

#718 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Arena, TX sextor, Robowar and Excalibur

I am 3/4 to that. Guess I need to seek out Arena and see if it clicks for me like the other 3 have.

#719 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am 3/4 to that. Guess I need to seek out Arena and see if it clicks for me like the other 3 have.

I think Arena is a nice game. My brother owns a very nice one that I like to play it when I'm there. Great sounds and an original layout. I do think though that games like TX-Sector and Genesis are of quite a higher class. Also, for me, the luck factor is too high on Arena (the 1 million-shot from the Pit).

Haven't played Excalibur and Robowar enough to form a good opinion about those.

#720 8 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

Wow, cool buy! Playfield looks pretty alright.. How's the backglass?
I'm interested to follow the progress you make restoring this game. Good luck!

Playfield is in really good condition, backglass is actually quite good as well a few mirrored pieces missing around the corners but besides that really good. The cabinet is in poor condition, I'll post some more pictures soon. I just picked up a pin bot, Robocop and this spirit so need to decide which one to restore first but I am leaning towards spirit so i'll keep you up to date with the progress.

#721 8 years ago

Updated pics of spirit..

20150624_202951.jpg20150624_202951.jpg

20150624_203044.jpg20150624_203044.jpg

#722 8 years ago

Your backglass and playfield appear to be in good shape...

#723 8 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

Your backglass and playfield appear to be in good shape...

It does! And the playfield looks like a perfect candidate for a clearcoat. The playfield shouldn't be too hard to touch up, because most of the wear is in the black area.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if I'd dare to remove the mylar from a Spirit. I've seen horriffic results on one example. The playfield quality on that Spirit was very bad, which made a lot of paint come loose from the playfield when the mylar was removed.

#724 8 years ago

Hey guys, I'm trying to revive a SS Sinbad and am having trouble getting my game to work. I've replaced the boards with GPE power board and Ni-wumph cpu and driver board. I repinned the A1J6 and A1J7 connectors according to the manual but I was wondering if another Sinbad owner could take a picture of those 2 connectors to make sure I connected them in the right spot. I've noticed the manual has some errors in it. I'm unable to get the cpu to respond when I push the start button or test button. I've had the board tested by David at niwumph and he said it checks out ok.

If you want to see what I've been doing check this link:https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-sinbad-revival

#725 8 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

It does! And the playfield looks like a perfect candidate for a clearcoat. The playfield shouldn't be too hard to touch up, because most of the wear is in the black area.
On the other hand, I'm not sure if I'd dare to remove the mylar from a Spirit. I've seen horriffic results on one example. The playfield quality on that Spirit was very bad, which made a lot of paint come loose from the playfield when the mylar was removed.

I'm really torn as to what to do with the playfield, it really is in quite good condition except the mylar coming up around the word spirit. It's a risky exercise and maybe a bridge i'll cross a bit further down the line. For the cover on the playfield over the numbers it has sunken a bit, whats the best method of fixing that? I was going to run some foam around the outside to get it back level with the playfield.

#726 8 years ago
Quoted from Gerrard17:

I'm in! Picked up a Spirit, needs a bit of work so i'll be back here

Cool ! Mine needs restoration, but i'm finishing another file..

Open a new topics ; i 'll follow

#727 8 years ago

What NEW board to use with a spirit machine , to replace all the old parts?
I'm sad because the pascal Janin board don't drive Spirit. Asked him, but the machine is so rare, i didn't write the code.

#728 8 years ago

Just send your stock board to Chris Hibler for a rebuild..

Congrats on the Spirit

#729 8 years ago

Question for the sys 80 folks:
I may be fixing a couple of games for a guy. He is willing to give me a game, cash, or a gun for the work. He has Alien Star and Gold Wings. Neither is working, apparently. Which would you request in trade? I haven't played either.

#730 8 years ago

i actually like goldwings, but alien star is the more desired game of the 2..

GW's lots of tight neat shots...

AS some strategy, and a good player

#731 8 years ago

He also had a Playmatic - Magic. He may just give me one for fixing the other two. Thanks for the advice.

#732 8 years ago

Go for the Alien Star. GREAT GAME!!

#733 8 years ago

Hi all,

Fairly new to the club - picked up a Buck Rogers a few months back and started rebuilding it.

Have a quick question with regards to the type of finish on the side rails - should they be super polished or is they some 'grain' that should show?

The ones that are on the cabinet are pretty beat and I would like to refinish them, but not sure what they should be looking like - some parts look like it was a fairly high shine vs other areas that look more 'brushed' (and most of it is just super dull).

#734 8 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

Hi all,
Fairly new to the club - picked up a Buck Rogers a few months back and started rebuilding it.
Have a quick question with regards to the type of finish on the side rails - should they be super polished or is they some 'grain' that should show?
The ones that are on the cabinet are pretty beat and I would like to refinish them, but not sure what they should be looking like - some parts look like it was a fairly high shine vs other areas that look more 'brushed' (and most of it is just super dull).

They should be brushed but feel free to do as you wish

#735 8 years ago
Quoted from iwantansi:

They should be brushed but feel free to do as you wish

Thanks for the reply - that is kind of the way I was leaning.

#736 8 years ago

Hi all,

My HH lights up but the displays won't show and the game won't start.
Power supply has both the 5v and 12v working, and the auxilliary lamp driver works (I get the lightening on the backglass).

Any suggestions where to start looking? Could it be the mpu board?

#737 8 years ago

So, soon I'm going to rebuild the flippers on my Excalibur. I have only ever done Bally flippers and thsee look totally different. Any suggestions?

#738 8 years ago

Rock just purchased and coming tomorow, very excited.

#739 8 years ago

Fun game, great music.

DSC01838.jpgDSC01838.jpg

DSC01840.jpgDSC01840.jpg

DSC01839.jpgDSC01839.jpg

DSC01841.jpgDSC01841.jpg

#740 8 years ago

Hi Folks. New to this club, can you tell me were the best information is to rebuild my Devils Dare Power Supply. I just got the machine and it's playing fine but I want it solid and I know that no mods have been done to it. And yes its still running lol. Thanks

#742 8 years ago

Is there a battery on a devils Dare for high scores?

#743 8 years ago

Yes, it is probably a data sentry battery located on the A1 CPU board.

Steve
System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

Quoted from smersh:

Is there a battery on a devils Dare for high scores?

#744 8 years ago

If its not holding scores but keeps credits what could it be?

#745 8 years ago

Can I use a 4 place AA battery holder with a diode, and use 3 AA batterys for the battery on Devils Dare?

#746 8 years ago

Yes.

Steve
System 80, not just a job, it's an adventure

Quoted from smersh:

Can I use a 4 place AA battery holder with a diode, and use 3 AA batterys for the battery on Devils Dare?

#747 8 years ago

When I bought my TX-Sector about 2 years ago, it had some typical Gottlieb wear by the flippers and some wear at the dropdown from the shooter ramp.
flipper damageflipper damagedrop damagedrop damage

So, when I started working on the project about 6 months ago, I decided to take off the mylar, repaint the wear and clearcoat the machine. But a little more than just the mylar came off... OOPS...
after mylar removal 1after mylar removal 1after mylar removal 2after mylar removal 2

I decided to repaint the damaged areas and proceed with clearcoating the machine. Yesterday I finished the project. I'm very happy with the results! A bit proud even. The machine really was in sorry shape after the mylar removal. But not anymore!
result 1result 1
result 2result 2

I love it when a project works out as well as this one. TX-Sector is a lovely machine to play, too!

#748 8 years ago

AWESOME! Jappie!

They dont get much better than TX!

#749 8 years ago

I just posted FS (cheap): a backglass for a 1982 Gottlieb Striker.

I seek a backglass for a 1980/81 James Bond 007.

#750 8 years ago

Hey fellas. I'm looking for a system 80b mpu if anyone has any extras laying around. It's for my Monte carlo

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dayton, OH
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, NY
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seattle, WA
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 50.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
There are 6,511 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.