(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,686 posts
  • 662 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by RDBowers
  • Topic is favorited by 330 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2024-07-15 160103 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-07-15 155832 (resized).png
DSCN9062 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-07-13 121844 (resized).png
SYS80 Connectors (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6182 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4263 (resized).jpeg
DM7448 (resized).jpg
IMG-20240601-WA0037 (resized).jpg
Striker_solenoids.jpg
Ready_Aim_Fire_solenoids.jpg
Krull_solenoids.jpg
Jacks_to_Open_solenoids.jpg
Going_Nuts_solenoids.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,686 posts in this topic. You are on page 134 of 134.
#6651 35 days ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Does this issue indicate the 5101 is bad

Sure sounds like it. I make a NVRAM that replaces the 5101 on System 1 boards. If interested, let me know.

1 week later
#6652 27 days ago

Two follow ups on my System 1 issues:
Changing the 5101 did not fix my memory issue. I used the same part number, it was a chip I pulled from a working board. To save you from searching, it does not hold scoring levels or HSD. It only allows one game at a time. Each game ends as is the machine thinks that’s a new hi score, and the machine sounds like it awards three credits, but only shows one in the credit window. Using it drops the number to zero when starting a game, then one after the HSD award.

Using the SMD chip I mentioned did not work. The machine only displayed players 2 & 4, and nothing in the credit window or ball in play display. When I get a chance, I’ll see if I can figure out why it didn’t work.

#6653 26 days ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Two follow ups on my System 1 issues:
Changing the 5101 did not fix my memory issue. I used the same part number, it was a chip I pulled from a working board. To save you from searching, it does not hold scoring levels or HSD. It only allows one game at a time. Each game ends as is the machine thinks that’s a new hi score, and the machine sounds like it awards three credits, but only shows one in the credit window. Using it drops the number to zero when starting a game, then one after the HSD award.
Using the SMD chip I mentioned did not work. The machine only displayed players 2 & 4, and nothing in the credit window or ball in play display. When I get a chance, I’ll see if I can figure out why it didn’t work.

I had some issues on my System 80 after installing NVRAM. Turned out that I needed to go through the self-test and clear out various pieces of garbage data and set the various scoring thresholds. Not sure if System 1 is the same.

#6654 26 days ago
Quoted from sparky672:

I had some issues on my System 80 after installing NVRAM. Turned out that I needed to go through the self-test and clear out various pieces of garbage data and set the various scoring thresholds. Not sure if System 1 is the same.

Yes, sys1 is the same, need to clear everything.

#6655 26 days ago

I’ll try clearing again and report back.

#6656 26 days ago

I hit the reset switch at every step, 1-10, rolled back thru to set award levels and HSD, nothing sticks.

Each game played is awarded as if it was the HSD. The award levels do not award anything. The credits still only say one, even though it sounds like three are awarded.

I’m at a loss. Any ideas?

#6657 23 days ago

I've owned my Sinbad for a close to 1.5 years now. I modded the original MPU to use a CR2032 with the blocking diode. I have tons of CR2032 that I bought a few years ago. Generic ones. So, anyway, I used one of those back when I originally did the work on the game. That lasted about a month and died. I changed it to a brand new Energizer CR2032. I only got a year and change out of that one and had to change it the other day. So, just wondering if System 1s eat batteries that fast for others or if something might be going on that's killing the battery. Game plays fine and holds data after the new battery and going through the options and clearing all the ram.

#6658 23 days ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

So, just wondering if System 1s eat batteries that fast for others or if something might be going on that's killing the battery.

Can't answer specifically, but some brand of of 5101 RAM chips consume more than others in sleep mode.
Also the chips at Z1 and Z2 are powered by the battery so they're consuming battery power. Might be worth installing a larger coin battery.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-cr2032-mpu-install/page/2#post-8047167

#6659 23 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

Can't answer specifically, but some brand of of 5101 RAM chips consume more than others in sleep mode.
Also the chips at Z1 and Z2 are powered by the battery so they're consuming battery power. Might be worth installing a larger coin battery.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-cr2032-mpu-install/page/2#post-8047167

Thanks for the info, as always. I don't mind changing it more often, if needed. Just wanted to be sure there wasn't something wrong. Those Z chips draining power wasn't something I was aware of. If I need to pull the board in the future, I'll consider swapping a larger cell in there.

#6660 23 days ago

The 2032 battery I swapped into my Black Hole Sys 80 over three years ago is still working fine. I am very surprised, given the size of the battery and it's such an early system. I figured I'd get a year maybe no matter how great the battery was, if I'm lucky. The battery is just a cheap Chinese brand that neither I nor anyone else has ever heard of. Don't know if there's a significant diff between sys1 and sys80 as far as memory current draw goes though.

#6661 23 days ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

The 2032 battery I swapped into my Black Hole Sys 80 over three years ago is still working fine. I am very surprised, given the size of the battery and it's such an early system. I figured I'd get a year maybe no matter how great the battery was, if I'm lucky. The battery is just a cheap Chinese brand that neither I nor anyone else has ever heard of. Don't know if there's a significant diff between sys1 and sys80 as far as memory current draw goes though.

That is interesting. On a Sys1 the battery powers Z1 and Z2, on Sys80 only Z1. I wonder if they improved the circuit on Sys80 to avoid excessive drain.

You (I) learn something new everyday I guess

#6662 23 days ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

On a Sys1 the battery powers Z1 and Z2, on Sys80 only Z1.

On system 80, it's Z1 and Z4 as well as the 5101 RAM at Z5.
As I said, some brands of 5101 RAM chips draw more power than others.

#6663 21 days ago

Regarding the Sys80 mod where you should add the extra (parallel) 5v and ground wires to the interconnect connectors -

The boards were otherwise designed and built to use the two extra connections for reliability (can't think of another reason anyway), and the schematics show both of them there. So of a-a-all the wires in the whole friggin' game, Gottlieb leaves *THESE* two out? WHY? Was it a factory goof from the start? Especially after Sys1's previous history of grounding problems, and its connector only had single board pins for gnd and 5v.

Were ALL sys80s absent these two wires?

#6664 21 days ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Regarding the Sys80 mod where you should add the extra (parallel) 5v and ground wires to the interconnect connectors -
The boards were otherwise designed and built to use the two extra connections for reliability (can't think of another reason anyway), and the schematics show both of them there. So of a-a-all the wires in the whole friggin' game, Gottlieb leaves *THESE* two out? WHY? Was it a factory goof from the start? Especially after Sys1's previous history of grounding problems, and its connector only had single wires for gnd and 5v.
Were ALL sys80s absent these two wires?

I believe it was fixed late in the Sys80 lifespan. In one of toddtuckey videos, he mentions when they finally fixed it and started including those wires from the factory. I can't recall the game or if it was a 80A or 80B game. Perhaps he can chime in.

#6665 19 days ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I believe it was fixed late in the Sys80 lifespan. In one of toddtuckey videos, he mentions when they finally fixed it and started including those wires from the factory. I can't recall the game or if it was a 80A or 80B game. Perhaps he can chime in.

Pinwiki didn't seem to nail it down more, it just describes the mod and it's filed under 'Sys80/A/B'.

#6666 19 days ago

I have a Dragon pin. Boots up fine. When you play 1 player both 1 and 2 player display the score from player 1. What should I look at.

1 week later
#6667 9 days ago

My Incredible Hulk is in very good condition (playfield). With the exception of the cupped inserts. Going to go through and change them all out. Does anyone know of a source of insert decals?

#6668 7 days ago

Is there an online or pdf version of the Gottlieb 1992 Parts Manual available?

#6669 7 days ago
Quoted from Rampmaster:

My Incredible Hulk is in very good condition (playfield). With the exception of the cupped inserts. Going to go through and change them all out. Does anyone know of a source of insert decals?

Leveling the PF and filling with clear can give pretty good results... or even just filling the cupping with clear to sand down flat and keep the original lettering?

#6670 7 days ago
Quoted from RonSwanson:

I could never find it. I ended up buying one on eBay.

#6671 7 days ago

I bought some of the parts manuals from pbresource.com

#6672 7 days ago
Quoted from RonSwanson:

I do have a PDF. It is a pretty large file with 87MB. I can send it by wetransfer if desired.

#6673 4 days ago

Anyone have a complete list of all the connectors in the backbox for Sys 80b? I want to redo all the connectors in my Genesis. I figure I can save myself some time opening my backbox and counting if someone knows where this information can be obtained.

#6674 4 days ago
Quoted from Menthelm:

Anyone have a complete list of all the connectors in the backbox for Sys 80b? I want to redo all the connectors in my Genesis. I figure I can save myself some time opening my backbox and counting if someone knows where this information can be obtained.

This should do the trick. I have complied this from several sources in an effort to produce all the single side connectors.
SYS80 Connectors (resized).pngSYS80 Connectors (resized).png

#6675 4 days ago
Quoted from RDBowers:

This should do the trick. I have complied this from several sources in an effort to produce all the single side connectors.
[quoted image]

Awesome! I appreciate it. I've been meaning to re-pin all the connectors since I bought the machine. Think I've had it almost 5 years now lol

#6676 3 days ago
Quoted from RonSwanson:

Not directly, but I do have a copy of the pdf file.
Several other catalogs too...
Just send me a pm with your request.

Peter
http://www.inkochnito.nl

#6677 3 days ago
Quoted from Menthelm:

Awesome! I appreciate it. I've been meaning to re-pin all the connectors since I bought the machine. Think I've had it almost 5 years now lol

You should be able to reuse the housings unless they are burnt up. Just replace the pins.

#6678 3 days ago
Quoted from RonSwanson:

Thanks to all who replied. I received a copy of the parts catalog. Now, to find an actual decal or scan of this one for Gold Wings (part 25169). Unfortunately, Pinball Resource is out of stock.

Screenshot 2024-07-13 121844 (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-07-13 121844 (resized).png
#6679 3 days ago

wroung posting...

#6680 3 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You should be able to reuse the housings unless they are burnt up. Just replace the pins.

I'm wanting to replace the old style connectors with the ones that have the crimp on terminals.

#6681 3 days ago
Quoted from Menthelm:

I'm wanting to replace the old style connectors with the ones that have the crimp on terminals.

When I did my Panthera, the IDC connectors doubled as molex as well. Simply cut the old wire off, pull the excess from the connector, repin, insert the water back in just like a molex connector.

#6682 3 days ago
Quoted from Menthelm:

If you need new connectors, I produce the single side edge connector kits. Each kit includes the housing, pins and labels. They are sold through Marco in the US and PinballLEDs.ca in Canada.

#6683 2 days ago
Quoted from RDBowers:

[quoted image]

Good work!

Correct me if I am wrong... regarding your position nomenclature, "right-top", etc; I thought that not every game has all boards mounted the same. How to define "right" when the boards are mounted sideways? How to define "sideways" when you don't know the most common mounting orientation?

Example:

DSCN9062 (resized).jpgDSCN9062 (resized).jpg

#6684 2 days ago
Quoted from sparky672:

Good work!
Correct me if I am wrong... regarding your position nomenclature, "right-top", etc; I thought that not every game has all boards mounted the same. How to define "right" when the boards are mounted sideways? How to define "sideways" when you don't know the most common mounting orientation?
Example:
[quoted image]

I'm pretty sure the board itself is marked. Will be printed on there by where they plug in.... J1, J2... ect.

#6685 2 days ago
Quoted from Menthelm:

I'm pretty sure the board itself is marked. Will be printed on there by where they plug in.... J1, J2... ect.

I know the boards are marked with the connector numbers. I am merely questioning the purpose / accuracy of including positioning information like "right-top", etc. when the board may be mounted in such a way that it's really "bottom-right".

#6686 2 days ago
Quoted from sparky672:

Good work!
Example:
[quoted image]

I agree. When installed the orientation could be anyway. I created the list for my use. I would be looking at the board when it is out of the machine. Writing on the board would help resolve what is top/right/bottom/left. Also images in the catalogs help with the orientation. So top is top, right is right, bottom is bottom and left is left.
Screenshot 2024-07-15 155832 (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-07-15 155832 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-07-15 160103 (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-07-15 160103 (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gilbert, AZ
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 259.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

1,940 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 7.50
$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 6,686 posts in this topic. You are on page 134 of 134.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.