(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,524 posts
  • 648 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 hours ago by JakePG
  • Topic is favorited by 322 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg
IMG_5720(1) (resized).jpg
IMG_5721(1) (resized).jpg
IMG_5719 (resized).jpg
IMG_3287 (resized).jpeg
20240131_210835 (resized).jpg
20240131_210842 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240110_003042000.MP (resized).jpg
PXL_20240110_004644797 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,524 posts in this topic. You are on page 118 of 131.
#5852 1 year ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

I’d welcome pointers if anybody has ideas. So far my Google searches come up empty.

Marco has the Volcano motor in stock. It's supposed to be 25 VAC (28 VAC should not be a problem), and appears to have the same output shaft as Spirit, but gearing is very different. Maybe find out more specs and it might be an option. Based on play memory, I am guessing the Volcano motor is about 10-15 RPM and rotates CCW facing the shaft.

#5853 1 year ago
Quoted from sparky672:

He's looking for a motor for Spirit, which is 28 VAC.

Whoops, sorry about that. I was assuming it was intended for Black Hole...... Same seller however has similar 24VAC alternatives.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255799837629191.html?

#5854 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Does anyone know what Gottlieb game was the first to feature the "status report" by holding a flipper? Robo-War has one, but it doesn't look like TX-Sector has one (can someone please verify this?). Do any System 80B games prior to Robo-War have one, or any games after Robo-War that *don't* have one? I know ROM space was tight then, so I'm just curious if it might have also been game specific.

Try Genesis.....
Tested with PinMame and this was the first System-80B to show something when you hold the flippers.
Not much, just the playfield scoring multiplier.
Hot Shots and Excalibur too.
I have not tested them all.....

#5855 1 year ago

Having issues with all 4 pop bumpers on Gold Wings.

They all have their own fuses. 12-15 on the fuse clip block on the underside of the playfield.

They are daisy changed. If one blows, or the fuse clips are flakey, then they all don’t work.

Anyone seen this before? Tried many new good fuses and tried to give the clips a squeeze to help it, and at best, it will get them to work for a game or two, then out again.

Any ideas to improve connection without putting new clips in? (I don’t have them handy)

#5856 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Having issues with all 4 pop bumpers on Gold Wings.
They all have their own fuses. 12-15 on the fuse clip block on the underside of the playfield.
They are daisy changed. If one blows, or the fuse clips are flakey, then they all don’t work.
Anyone seen this before? Tried many new good fuses and tried to give the clips a squeeze to help it, and at best, it will get them to work for a game or two, then out again.
Any ideas to improve connection without putting new clips in? (I don’t have them handy)

It seems strange that all pop bumpers stop working when one fuse blows. According to the schematics this should not happen.
Perhaps it is a ground problem ?

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png
#5857 1 year ago

Okay thanks for the help. So a ground issue maybe further upstream in the driver board? These are the only coils that don’t work.

But it’s seriously all or not thing here. If one doesn’t work, they all don’t.

#5858 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Okay thanks for the help. So a ground issue maybe further upstream in the driver board? These are the only coils that don’t work.
But it’s seriously all or not thing here. If one doesn’t work, they all don’t.

It could be the 5V or ground going to the pop bumper boards.
That again could be bad/corroded connectors, dry solder, broken wire ... hard to say, I would measure voltages at the pop bumper boards when they stop working.
Also the switches have common ground I see.

I usually do the ground mods as described on Pinwiki as it has solved a lot of intermittent issues on the sys80* games I have, but others here have had strong opinions against it.
I think however we all agree that connectors are prone to corrosion and breakage.

#5859 1 year ago

All ground mods done. Not by me. I’ll check them. And the connectors associate and repin if necessary. Thanks!

#5860 1 year ago

Good day all, i am rebuilding a Genie and looking out for parts, would one of you have a set of hinges for system 1 head?
i am also looking for head and display harness for system 1.
let me know what you have
thanks

#5861 1 year ago
Quoted from RDBowers:

Hope you are happy with them!
[quoted image]

These are incredible, Thank you!

#5862 1 year ago
Quoted from supermoot:

These are incredible, Thank you!

You are welcome. Thanks for sharing your opinion of the single sided edge connector kits I am producing.

#5863 1 year ago

Completely rebuilt the flippers on Genesis (still running original coils) and now the three drop targets are hard to knock down. Most the the time the ball bounces off them instead of knocking them down. Didn’t do anything to the drop assembly. Knock down fine by hand or light hits.

Just want to see if I can get them working all the time.

#5864 1 year ago

Try weaker springs or a smaller rubber behind the drops.

Make the game steeper too.

#5865 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Completely rebuilt the flippers on Genesis (still running original coils) and now the three drop targets are hard to knock down. Most the the time the ball bounces off them instead of knocking them down. Didn’t do anything to the drop assembly. Knock down fine by hand or light hits.
Just want to see if I can get them working all the time.

I had 1 drop that bricked all them time. I ended up rounding the lip that keeps the target up so it is slightly easier to drop. It felt to me like the target was bouncing back to the ledge before it could drop on a hard hit. Stronger springs only made it harder to reset.

#5866 1 year ago

Benjamin, I have to come visit and play that Spirit when it's up and flipping. I'll send you a message soon.

#5867 1 year ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

I had 1 drop that bricked all them time. I ended up rounding the lip that keeps the target up so it is slightly easier to drop. It felt to me like the target was bouncing back to the ledge before it could drop on a hard hit. Stronger springs only made it harder to reset.

Bricking usually isn't a big problem with Gottliebs, more of a Bally/Stern thing.

#5868 1 year ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Bricking usually isn't a big problem with Gottliebs, more of a Bally/Stern thing.

Yeah that's why it was so annoying, and it was the first drop on genesis and they have to be dropped in order to be worth anything

#5869 1 year ago

Rub a dab of paste wax like carnauba on the bare wood in the slot behind the drop targets. Also see if the bottom corners of the targets have begun to dig divots in that wood behind them when they are hit that they may be getting a little bit hung up on. With the central location of those targets they take a beating.

image-18 (resized).jpgimage-18 (resized).jpg

#5870 1 year ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Rub a dab of paste wax like carnauba on the bare wood in the slot behind the drop targets. Also see if the bottom corners of the targets have begun to dig divots in that wood behind them when they are hit that they may be getting a little bit hung up on. With the central location of those targets they take a beating.
[quoted image]

Good idea to try a bit of wax. Can try that and see if it helps.

#5871 1 year ago

Ordered and installed a new PI-80 circuit board from Flippp.com Game won't play and says missing ball on display. I checked all the switches in switch test mode and checked all the coils. Everything is working in test mode. When I push start on the game the sound activates like its starting a game but the ball doesn't kick out. No coils are working or switch during gameplay. Any suggestions on what this error means?

Haunted House pin.

Thanks in advance...

#5872 1 year ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Ordered and installed a new PI-80 circuit board from Flippp.com Game won't play and says missing ball on display....

Was it working prior to installing the board?

#5873 1 year ago

Yes, game played alright has some GI issues and display issues but game worked.

#5874 1 year ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Yes, game played alright has some GI issues and display issues but game worked.

Curious why you wanted to change out the board if it was playing ok? That being said, if it works with the old board but doesn't work with the new board, I'd send the new board back.

#5875 1 year ago
Quoted from sparky672:

Curious why you wanted to change out the board if it was playing ok? That being said, if it works with the old board but doesn't work with the new board, I'd send the new board back.

Yeah, I liked the multiball feature and the high score intails you could put into the game. Also you could add speak to the game.

#5876 1 year ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Yeah, I liked the multiball feature and the high score intails you could put into the game. Also you could add speak to the game.

You can add speech using the original MPU and sound boards for Haunted House.

#5877 1 year ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

[quoted image]

It seems that the real problem was the screws at the top of the window being too tight. With the window set too low the ball would hit the lip of the edge of the wood and become slightly airborne. Ended up hitting the metal bracket above the drops instead. Put some new foam washers under it the releveled it. All good now.

#5878 1 year ago

Hey everyone. So I have a gottlieb diamond lady pin, that I have mostly fixed up. I had the boards professionally repaired, and the game plays fully. The only issue is that sometimes things don't act as they should. For example, sometimes if I hit a rollover switch, two drop targets will drop. Other times if I hit a different switch, the drop target between the two flippers will rise. Or I've had the Aces mode start mid game for no reason. Anyone have any thoughts what might cause wonky behavior like this? Thanks!

9032BE77-2F94-4484-9F02-A569203738A0 (resized).jpeg9032BE77-2F94-4484-9F02-A569203738A0 (resized).jpeg

#5879 1 year ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Hey everyone. So I have a gottlieb diamond lady pin, that I have mostly fixed up. I had the boards professionally repaired, and the game plays fully. The only issue is that sometimes things don't act as they should. For example, sometimes if I hit a rollover switch, two drop targets will drop. Other times if I hit a different switch, the drop target between the two flippers will rise. Or I've had the Aces mode start mid game for no reason. Anyone have any thoughts what might cause wonky behavior like this? Thanks!
[quoted image]

I've had a bit of input from others, and it looks like a good starting place is to test the diodes on the boards under the playfield.

#5880 1 year ago

I would read up on the rules. Everything you mentioned seems intended behavior.

The roll over behind the left drops will drop the middle drops of that bank.

The two diamond drops right above either sling will raise the drop in between the flippers.

I can’t remember how the ace mode starts during the ball, but it can definitely start on the plunge.

#5881 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I would read up on the rules. Everything you mentioned seems intended behavior.
The roll over behind the left drops will drop the middle drops of that bank.
The two diamond drops right above either sling will raise the drop in between the flippers.
I can’t remember how the ace mode starts during the ball, but it can definitely start on the plunge.

This is good to know, I appreciate you chiming in. I'll go read up on the rules, and also check the diode board tonight.
Another issue I have noticed is that of the start-up modes, light spinners and aces modes both work, but the third mode, where certain targets drop and a countdown jackpot starts, doesn't play correctly. the targets drop, but it never runs the countdown jackpot.

edit:
you were definitely correct on both the rollover dropping the middle targets, as well as both lower targets raising the drop target between the flippers. The aces mode is started during the game briefly when the target between the flippers is knocked down.
Now I just need to solve my one plunge mode not working correctly, and I'll be set. Thanks again for reminding me to read the ruleset lol

#5882 1 year ago

To be fair, the rules are weird. Haha

#5883 1 year ago
Quoted from RDBowers:

I have started producing all of the single sided edge connectors used on Gottlieb System 1, 80, 80A and 80B games.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
I have worked out distribution in Canada. https://pinballleds.ca/index.php?route=product/product&path=95&product_id=564
Still working on distribution in the US.

Love these edge connectors! I have started using these on my Charlie’s Angels and find them better than the original with the “quick release” holes. The labels are a nice touch too.

C6794EF4-615F-4852-B823-A3429AF20B34 (resized).jpegC6794EF4-615F-4852-B823-A3429AF20B34 (resized).jpeg
#5884 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

You can add speech using the original MPU and sound boards for Haunted House.

Yeah I know but adding high scores and multi-ball is a cool feature. Just trying to figure out what missing balls mean on display. I wrote the company so hopefully I’ll hear back soon.

1 week later
#5885 1 year ago

My Striker is finally on its way back! A big project: it is a former parts machine and came without boards and without a transformer panel. I built one from donor parts from a Volcano. Which are the same parts, but in a completely different setup. (80 vs 80A)

Next step: make sure everything is technically ok. After that: playfield swap with a NOS one.

By the way, you gotta love the way Striker and Centaur II look next to each other. Their color scheme and art style are almost complete opposites.

IMG_20221228_002342 (resized).jpgIMG_20221228_002342 (resized).jpgIMG_20221228_002829 (resized).jpgIMG_20221228_002829 (resized).jpg

#5886 1 year ago
Quoted from Jappie:

My Striker is finally on its way back!

I don't think I've ever seen a Striker before! Looks like a really really cool game, and I'm not even a big football/soccer fan. I hope you'll be able to do a youtube video on it when you're finished!

#5887 1 year ago

Looks like a really interesting game! Thank you for sharing! I would also like to see it in action.

#5888 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I don't think I've ever seen a Striker before! Looks like a really really cool game, and I'm not even a big football/soccer fan. I hope you'll be able to do a youtube video on it when you're finished!

Quoted from FatPanda:

Looks like a really interesting game! Thank you for sharing! I would also like to see it in action.

Cool and interesting for sure! Striker is one of the last of the larger no expenses spared Gottliebs. Just before they went back to making standard sized games with simpler layouts and without expensive things like speech.

Definitely one of their lesser known titles, too. It's super rare even here in The Netherlands, where football (you know, real football ) is the #1 sport.

It's one of only a few titles I'd spend as much time and effort on as I am, without having ever played it. I'm just very curious about the gameplay experience it offers. It certainly is unique. I've read good things about it.

I'll definitely post a video once it's done, but that could take a while. In the mean time, check out @klyguy533's very informative videos on the game:

#5889 1 year ago

Hey everyone, looking for opinions on my totem project. Thinking about putting down Mylar (after waxing) over the inserts to prevent further wear. It’s such pretty artwork! Thoughts?

C1594AE8-BEE6-42C0-B000-ED290794C226 (resized).jpegC1594AE8-BEE6-42C0-B000-ED290794C226 (resized).jpeg
#5890 1 year ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Hey everyone, looking for opinions on my totem project. Thinking about putting down Mylar (after waxing) over the inserts to prevent further wear. It’s such pretty artwork! Thoughts?
[quoted image]

I'd just keep the machine clean and waxed.

#5891 1 year ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

[quoted image]

It won't get nearly enough play in the home environment where you'll see wear. Use clean balls and clean and wax regularly and you'll be golden.

#5892 1 year ago

I can't seem to find much info... A Gottlieb Punk has popped up in my local area, worth taking a shot? Never seen/heard of/played one.

#5894 1 year ago

Jappie We just picked up a Striker ourselves. Missing the triangle plastic between bottom gate and pop bumper. I think I can manage something for that. The displays worked briefly, but don't now. We have replaced the fuse twice to no avail. Next call is for a tech. Gave it a good clean down & wax, replaced the rubbers all around, some star posts. Still plays and is fun even if you don't know your score.

#5895 1 year ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

I can't seem to find much info... A Gottlieb Punk has popped up in my local area, worth taking a shot? Never seen/heard of/played one.

Jump on it!!!

Punk is a highly sought after game.

#5896 1 year ago

Flynnyfalcon If you don't want the Punk, let me know....my hubby has been trying to get one of them.

Snowtrooper is correct, rare and people looking for it.

#5897 1 year ago

I hadn't played Striker before but excitedly drove hours to pick up a really nice one a few weeks ago. Very challenging to properly control the ball and having to press the other buttons, correctly, when trying to avoid the defense. Great game and certainly not traditional pinball, imho.

20221224_022359.jpg20221224_022359.jpg

#5898 1 year ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

Great game and certainly not traditional pinball, imho.

This is what I liked so much about the Gottlieb 80(A/B) games—and honestly Gottlieb in general. They may catch a lot of flak, but they did some really cool experimental things with their designs.

#5899 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

This is what I liked so much about the Gottlieb 80(A/B) games—and honestly Gottlieb in general. They may catch a lot of flak, but they did some really cool experimental things with their designs.

Agreed

#5900 1 year ago

Greetings club members. I wondered if anyone might have some used drop targets for a Sinbad? I need the white target, 1 yellow and 2 purple. I could also use one bumper cap which says 100 points in red ink and one single sided yellow lane guide. I like to reach out to the community for original used stuff, when I can. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
RC

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 6,524 posts in this topic. You are on page 118 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/118?hl=zigzagzag and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.