(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,543 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Sammer
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 117 of 131.
#5801 1 year ago

hopefully readable

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5802 1 year ago

I key posted all these images of game settings for future use.

#5803 1 year ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

hopefully readable[quoted image]

thanks

#5804 1 year ago

i am running into a "stucky through" on my Genesis. It used to do it rarely but since i moved the game to a different spot is it doing more often.

The ball drain and the other one isn't kicking out right. I am not sure if it if the wire blocking the ball from coming out opening up right, or an issue with leveling? Is this a common issue? Anything to look out for?

#5805 1 year ago

Maybe the one way gate is flipped. I’d take the apron off and watch what’s going on.

#5806 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Maybe the one way gate is flipped. I’d take the apron off and watch what’s going on.

yeah, seems like leveling can have a big impact on it as well-

#5807 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

yeah, seems like leveling can have a big impact on it as well-

Haven’t had any issues on my games and I’m not crazy strict how I level my games.

#5808 1 year ago

Hey folks, I'm doing a full restoration on a Spirit; the thing that I'm stuck on is the metal ball guides (the sheet metal ones, not the wire forms.)
The ones that came with the game are usable, but no amount of Mother's mag polish will make them truly shiny, as it looks like Gottlieb used plated metal rather than stainless steel. These have corrosion/pitting which at best would only be held at bay with a good shining and waxing.

I'm hesitant to spray primer and metallic paint on these as I just think it will make them look spray painted, but I also am not set up to try and stamp my own replacements. Is anyone making repro guides? What are Gottlieb owners doing to restore these, if not replacing them outright?

#5809 1 year ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Hey folks, I'm doing a full restoration on a Spirit; the thing that I'm stuck on is the metal ball guides (the sheet metal ones, not the wire forms.)
The ones that came with the game are usable, but no amount of Mother's mag polish will make them truly shiny, as it looks like Gottlieb used plated metal rather than stainless steel. These have corrosion/pitting which at best would only be held at bay with a good shining and waxing.
I'm hesitant to spray primer and metallic paint on these as I just think it will make them look spray painted, but I also am not set up to try and stamp my own replacements. Is anyone making repro guides? What are Gottlieb owners doing to restore these, if not replacing them outright?

When I restored my Spring Break, I made new ones.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-florida-were-a-pinball-machine-aka-my-first-gottlieb/page/2#post-6512489

#5810 1 year ago

I am looking for a working sound board for a RoboWar. Please let me know if you have one for sale. Thanks.

#5811 1 year ago

Maybe could have them replated, depending on how deep the corrosion is. Is it like big pits, or just dulling on the surface where you can shine it up but then it would likely oxidize and get dull again? The original Gottlieb guides from back then look very chrome-y if a game was in a good environment.

#5812 1 year ago

Anyone have the wire color layout for the right side pop bumper? Jacks To Open pin... Mine wasn't working and I checked someone hacked it out. I found the proper switch but I'm not sure what wires go where. Thanks!

52504839226_cfe63e7533_o(1) (resized).jpg52504839226_cfe63e7533_o(1) (resized).jpg52505315075_0866eab149_o (resized).jpg52505315075_0866eab149_o (resized).jpg

#5813 1 year ago
Quoted from sparky672:

Right. This is why I am suspecting the connector.

Circling back to this. Was out of molex connectors and just finally got them back in. Repinned the connectors both on the driver and the sound board and got nothing.

Back to square one. Here's a thought, if the sound board had been plugged or unplugged while powered, what would that affect? If there was a flaky power supply or connector, maybe that would lead us to a root cause?

#5814 1 year ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

Anyone have the wire color layout for the right side pop bumper? Jacks To Open pin... Mine wasn't working and I checked someone hacked it out. I found the proper switch but I'm not sure what wires go where. Thanks!

The wire with black-black-black stripes and the wire with the blue-brown-brown stripes are for the count switch.
That would be the highest in the stack and is activated when the pop bumper pulls in.
It does not matter which wire goes on which blade.
There is no diode on the switch (its on the diode board elsewhere).

The spoon blade should get the orange-orange-orange striped wire and the black-red-red striped wire.
Again, it does not matter which wire goes on which blade.

Let me know it you need the manual file.

Peter
www.inkochnito.nl

#5815 1 year ago
Quoted from radial_head:

.... Here's a thought, if the sound board had been plugged or unplugged while powered, what would that affect? ...

That would be bad. Plugging or unplugging something that's powered up generates high voltage spikes (transients). If the capacitors on the sound board were not large enough to clamp these spikes, then you could have literally blown anything on that sound board. You would have to start with the schematics and trace it all out with some methodical troubleshooting.

#5816 1 year ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

The wire with black-black-black stripes and the wire with the blue-brown-brown stripes are for the count switch.
That would be the highest in the stack and is activated when the pop bumper pulls in.
It does not matter which wire goes on which blade.
There is no diode on the switch (its on the diode board elsewhere).
The spoon blade should get the orange-orange-orange striped wire and the black-red-red striped wire.
Again, it does not matter which wire goes on which blade.
Let me know it you need the manual file.
Peter
www.inkochnito.nl

Thank you! I'll give that a shot and let you know..

#5817 1 year ago

Hi there,
Does anyone have a nice Buck Rogers backglass for sale?
Contact me by pm.
Thanks

#5818 1 year ago
Quoted from RDBowers:

If you need it now, use https://pinballleds.ca/index.php?route=product/product&path=95&product_id=564 and it will ship from Canada. If you can wait 6 to 8 weeks I hope to have distribution set up in the US.

Marco Pinball is now distributing the single sided edge connectors that I have produced for Gottlieb System 1, 80, 80a and 80b machines. They have the 7, 9, 15, 19, 21 and 24 pin versions listed. I have also produced the 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 17 and 24 with tabs version, but they are not listed yet.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=CONNECTOR+EDGE+SINGLE+PIN+.156+INCH.
They are sold in kits that include the housing, crimp connectors and label.

#5819 1 year ago
Quoted from RDBowers:

Marco Pinball is now distributing the single sided edge connectors that I have produced for Gottlieb System 1, 80, 80a and 80b machines.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=connector%20edge%20single&VIEW_SIZE=24&VIEW_INDEX=0&sortOrder=SortKeywordRelevancy.
They are sold in kits that include the housing, crimp connectors and label.

That’s awesome, great work. I have used these connectors for my TX build and they are awesome.

#5820 1 year ago

I’m working on a couple system 80 sound/speech boards. One is the early version B20887-1 but it never had the mods installed. I’ve seen a picture on pinwiki.com that shows them.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/images/7/7a/SoundAndSpeechBoard-1Modified.jpg

Is there a tech note or description that covers what should be done and what it fixes? Would like to finish this board.

#5821 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I’m working on a couple system 80 sound/speech boards. One is the early version B20887-1 but it never had the mods installed. I’ve seen a picture on pinwiki.com that shows them.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/images/7/7a/SoundAndSpeechBoard-1Modified.jpg
Is there a tech note or description that covers what should be done and what it fixes? Would like to finish this board.

Page 44 of the BHHHC book has some service information on early sound boards. You can find it here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/PDF%2520Pinball%2520Misc/Black-Hole%2520and%2520Haunted-House%2520Repair%2520Guide.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwicnoPV6Mn7AhXaJkQIHS-TAwMQFnoECAsQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3cCjlmN3sb_m56QibD_fHa

#5822 1 year ago

You want to get a copy of the Gottlieb On Target Newsletter from September 1981, Vol 2, Issue 8.

page 1page 1

page 2page 2

page 3page 3

page 4page 4

#5823 1 year ago
Quoted from RGarriott:

That’s awesome, great work. I have used these connectors for my TX build and they are awesome.

Glad you liked them @rgarriott. Thanks for the testimonial and the support!

#5824 1 year ago
Quoted from RDBowers:

Glad you liked them RGarriott. Thanks for the testimonial and the support!

Super glad to see ya got them in the States.

#5825 1 year ago
Quoted from sparky672:

You want to get a copy of the Gottlieb On Target Newsletter from September 1981, Vol 2, Issue 8.
[quoted image]

Thank You! This is awesome and exactly what I needed. Can finish up this sound card on the weekend.

#5826 1 year ago
Quoted from sparky672:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Looking at the article, it looks like the BHHHC articles were just a collection of these bulletins and other tips

#5827 1 year ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Looking at the article, it looks like the BHHHC articles were just a collection of these bulletins and other tips

They were. The compilers of it got really angry when people shared the info too, as if they had wrote it.

#5828 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

They were. The compilers of it got really angry when people shared the info too, as if they had wrote it.

Lol, a friend gave me a bound issue of it. It's fun to have but the PDFs are easier to use

#5829 1 year ago

I finally picked up a NOS Sinbad backglass from Mayfair Amusements. I just about doubled my investment in this machine by getting the new backglass, but the results speak for themselves. I highly recommend buying from Mayfair Amusements.
20221126_152725 (resized).jpg20221126_152725 (resized).jpg
20221126_153907 (resized).jpg20221126_153907 (resized).jpg
20221126_154014 (resized).jpg20221126_154014 (resized).jpg

#5830 1 year ago

I need to replace the backbox motor for Spirit; I heard it said that you cannot use the same motor as people were using in Black Hole rebuilds, which seems very surprising to me.

Any insight into that from you System 80 veterans?

#5831 1 year ago

same motor as people were using in Black Hole rebuilds

Must ask, what motor is this?

#5832 1 year ago
Quoted from dozer1:

Must ask, what motor is this?

Spirit has a spinning disc in the back box.

#5833 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Spirit has a spinning disc in the back box.

Yep. But I was wondering what motor are guys using for Black Hole spinning disk motors.

#5834 1 year ago

So my answer is probably here. https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Black_Hole#Replacing_the_Black_Hole_.22Spinning_Disk.22_Motor

I cannot help sethbenjamin with his original question though from post #5830. Hope someone else can chime in on it.

#5835 1 year ago

Does anyone know what Gottlieb game was the first to feature the "status report" by holding a flipper? Robo-War has one, but it doesn't look like TX-Sector has one (can someone please verify this?). Do any System 80B games prior to Robo-War have one, or any games after Robo-War that *don't* have one? I know ROM space was tight then, so I'm just curious if it might have also been game specific.

#5837 1 year ago
Quoted from dozer1:

I cannot help sethbenjamin with his original question though from post #5830. Hope someone else can chime in on it.

I don't know for certain that there actually is a problem using the same motor that people use for Black Hole. It seems extremely unlikely that there was a significant difference between 2 system 80 games that came out, what, within a year of each other?

There is a company called ServoCity which has motors and mounts which work for Black Hole. I'm probably just going to go ahead and get the necessary parts from there. Will report back once I get toward the end of the restoration!

#5838 1 year ago

I don't know for certain that there actually is a problem using the same motor that people use for Black Hole. It seems extremely unlikely that there was a significant difference between 2 system 80 games that came out, what, within a year of each other?

Interesting theory. Now that you mention it, there is also a gearmotor on the variable shooter lane for Volcano, which came out one month before Black Hole. I wonder if these are indeed the same or similar in some fashion?

Volcano:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/21009

Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 5.59.17 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-11-30 at 5.59.17 PM (resized).png

Spirit:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/B-22202

Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 5.59.45 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-11-30 at 5.59.45 PM (resized).png

It appears that they both have the same motor, output shaft, and frame, but different gears, torque, and RPM.

I suspect Black Hole looks similar, but with yet another set of gears?

EDIT: As subsequently pointed out, Black Hole's motor is completely different in many ways.

#5839 1 year ago
Quoted from sparky672:

Interesting theory. Now that you mention it, there is also a gearmotor on the variable shooter lane for Volcano, which came out one month before Black Hole. I wonder if these are indeed the same or similar in some fashion?
Volcano:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/21009
[quoted image]
Spirit:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/B-22202
[quoted image]
Very similar, but maybe not identical to each other or Black Hole?

The motor for the backbox is completely different. Black Hole uses a small gear motor.

The motor you pictured is more like the motor used for the robot reveal in Genesis and similar to the motor for the roulette wheel in Monte Carlo.

#5840 1 year ago

Does Diamond Lady have one? It would be interesting if it did.

I know Bone Busters has one, but as far as I can tell, Bad Girls does not--so I'm thinking the status report was implemented into 80B titles on a per game basis?

#5841 1 year ago

The motor for the backbox is completely different. Black Hole uses a small gear motor.

Then that answers the OP's question about Spirit and Black Hole not using the same motor, since I showed the Spirit motor for sale at Marco.

#5842 1 year ago
Quoted from sparky672:

I suspect Black Hole looks similar, but with yet another set of gears?

I’m gonna go out on a limb and assume that the Black Hole motor at most had different gearing and therefore spun at a slower or faster rate. Someone who understands clockwork could maybe figure out exactly what the gearing is supposed to be,lol, but as long as it’s in the right ballpark for how fast it spins and it isn’t gonna make anything catch fire…

#5843 1 year ago

Thanks to everyone who posted about this!
Gotta love those “Out Of Stock Forever” Marco listings!

#5844 1 year ago

I’m gonna go out on a limb and assume that the Black Hole motor at most had different gearing and therefore spun at a slower or faster rate.

The Spirit manual says the motor is powered by 28VAC
The Black Hole manual says the motor is powered by 6VDC
The Black Hole motor looks very different to the Spirit example above.

You'll have to get creative.

#5845 1 year ago

I’m gonna go out on a limb and assume that the Black Hole motor at most had different gearing and therefore spun at a slower or faster rate. Someone who understands clockwork could maybe figure out exactly what the gearing is supposed to be,lol, but as long as it’s in the right ballpark for how fast it spins and it isn’t gonna make anything catch fire…

I think Robotworkshop already stated that based on the photos I posted, the motor in Spirit is completely different than Black Hole. And like Quench points out, the motor types and voltages aren't even close... so don't rule out a fire.

Not sure why you'd want to use the Black Hole motor in a Spirit in the first place, when you could probably find a suitable replacement from the same supplier.

#5846 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Does Diamond Lady have one? It would be interesting if it did.
I know Bone Busters has one, but as far as I can tell, Bad Girls does not--so I'm thinking the status report was implemented into 80B titles on a per game basis?

Yes. It’s to show you the current jackpot value I believe.

#5847 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

The Spirit manual says the motor is powered by 28VAC
The Black Hole manual says the motor is powered by 6VDC
The Black Hole motor looks very different to the Spirit example above.
You'll have to get creative.

Quoted from sparky672:

I think Robotworkshop already stated that based on the photos I posted, the motor in Spirit is completely different than Black Hole.

Damn. Somehow missed the point entirely, lol. Guess I was trying to hear what I wanted to hear…
How weird that they used such a different configuration for basically the same end. Gottlieb were a wacky bunch.

The ServoCity site seems only to have DC motors. I’d welcome pointers if anybody has ideas. So far my Google searches come up empty.

#5848 1 year ago

Damn. Somehow missed the point entirely, lol. Guess I was trying to hear what I wanted to hear…
How weird that they used such a different configuration for basically the same end. Gottlieb were a wacky bunch.
The ServoCity site seems only to have DC motors. I’d welcome pointers if anybody has ideas. So far my Google searches come up empty.

Maybe you can find something useful here : https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-28vac-rpm.html

#5849 1 year ago

I’d welcome pointers if anybody has ideas.

Use a bridge rectifier to convert the 28VAC to 26VDC and use a 24VDC motor.

Or wire a 6VDC motor to 6VDC like Black Hole.

Spirit wiring schematic - motor in the middle:
Wiring_Backbox.pngWiring_Backbox.png

Black Hole wiring schematic - motor in the lower area:
Wiring_Backbox.pngWiring_Backbox.png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Towson, MD
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Calgary, AB
$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodhaven, MI
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,543 posts in this topic. You are on page 117 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/117?hl=zigzagzag and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.