(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,542 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by bajm
  • Topic is favorited by 323 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,542 posts in this topic. You are on page 111 of 131.
#5501 1 year ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Swapped the 6532 chips around and out hole works, but new funky behavior started. So buying a new one. thanks for the advice.

New chip in and it works like a champ again.

#5502 1 year ago
Quoted from Snowtrooper:

How is your Gottlieb Spirit?

It’s great, fun game to play. We are still enjoying it. Don’t think it’s going anywhere anytime soon.

#5503 1 year ago

is there a way to get kick target plastic cover repro (b20210)? the ones on my Genesis aren't very fresh...

#5504 1 year ago

Anyone have a spare, working sys 80 sound board kicking around?

#5505 1 year ago

Where can I get a set of legs for my black hole. Looks like pb resource is out. Mine have been altered in an interesting fashion. Can't wait to get thru these connectors and get her fully working.

IMG_20220803_220544_510.jpgIMG_20220803_220544_510.jpgIMG_20220804_073348_201.jpgIMG_20220804_073348_201.jpgIMG_20220804_073348_255.jpgIMG_20220804_073348_255.jpg
#5506 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

is there a way to get kick target plastic cover repro (b20210)? the ones on my Genesis aren't very fresh...

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20210P ?

Probably Pinball resource has them too.

#5507 1 year ago

sweet, thanks, not sure why the part had the "b" in front of it

#5508 1 year ago
Quoted from Deez:

Where can I get a set of legs for my black hole. Looks like pb resource is out. Mine have been altered in an interesting fashion.

Are they all like that or just a few?

My BH came with the wrong legs (a set of 28-1/2" legs), so I took a full set of 27" legs from my Counterforce, put the 27"ers on the front of both CF and BH, and put the set of 28-1/2" legs on the rear of each game and adjusted the levelers almost all the way down to get the correct pitch.

And, in my opinion, there is a "correct" pitch for Black Hole. You want equal feeling slopes on both playfields, and that makes it play the meanest.

#5509 1 year ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Are they all like that or just a few?
My BH came with the wrong legs (a set of 28-1/2" legs), so I took a full set of 27" legs from my Counterforce, put the 27"ers on the front of both CF and BH, and put the set of 28-1/2" legs on the rear of each game and adjusted the levelers almost all the way down to get the correct pitch.
And, in my opinion, there is a "correct" pitch for Black Hole. You want equal feeling slopes on both playfields, and that makes it play the meanest.

All of them are like that.

#5510 1 year ago
Quoted from Geekdude:

Well I am now a member of this club. Picked up a Cleopatra yesterday. First pinball machine ever. I was a bit nervous about the purchase as I couldn't get the backbox open to look at the main board. But to my surprise not a bit of corrosion from the battery. The main board looks brand new. I am hopeful that I will be able to work through the MANDATORY fixes on the http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/ site and keep the original system boards going as long as I can.
I will post more pictures as I get it put back together.
At this point I am in preservation mode... and a little bit of mouse poop removal mode and maybe a little bit of vacuuming out broken tempered glass mode.....
Couple of questions.
1. Is there a good post or instructions on how to seal / preserve the back glass?
2. Anyone have any 27" Gottlieb legs that would go with this game that they would be willing to sell and ship to Colorado?
3. Any other recommendations or things I should do beyond the mandatory list mentioned above before I turn on the game.
Thanks,
Keith
[quoted image][quoted image]

Working on a Cleopatra right now. Does not have a 1/2 amp fuse on the outhole coil that's present on subsequent games so I'm going to add that after smoking a coil. Do not see that on the list of System 1 upgrades.

#5511 1 year ago

RatShack we will have to compare notes on our Cleopatra's. I won't be working on mine for a bit.
On the to-do list:
Install an X-PIN power supply It has the extra two fuses on it on the downstream side of the small transformer.
I already installed the fuse on the upstream side of the small transformer
More bulbs to replace. There must be about a 100 bulbs on this pin. Gheesh...
I removed the old onboard battery and need to install the double AA remote batteries.
Install the Diodes on the CPU to driver board harness to protect from CR1-7 malfunctions.
Do the ground mods.
Check the driver board for blown transistors.

Then finally plug it in and see what happens.
So far I have only been messing with general illumination.

I did try the original power supply and it appears to be putting out the correct voltage.
I ended up going with the Xpin as I didn't want to deal with rebuilding the original power supply.

#5512 1 year ago

Does anyone have a thought on how one might adapt the System 1 edge connector plugs coming from the playfield to something else? Without repinning them all to a different style connector. The adaptor would be pinned to standard plug like what is on the power supply. Or say a fastpinball controller..... I have thought about finding a blown driver board and CPU board and cutting off the bottom inch or two of the boards and then soldering a bunch of wires to the traces. Not even sure if it is possible to cut a circuit board successfully. Guessing there is some toxic crap in the dust of a circuit board.

Really random thought I know.

#5513 1 year ago
Quoted from Geekdude:

Does anyone have a thought on how one might adapt the System 1 edge connector plugs coming from the playfield to something else?

Jamma adapter finger board.

#5514 1 year ago

Sweet. Something like this but with the correct width. Thank you for the "correct" search words.

2022-08-05_14-12-15 (resized).jpg2022-08-05_14-12-15 (resized).jpg
#5515 1 year ago

Anyone has a nice Count-Down playfield for sale?

#5516 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Unfortunately someone did this on my Genesis, Volcano, and Red Baron too. No reason to drill any holes in the coin door.
For Machines that don't have a freeplay setting the best method I've seen was to use an old plastic coin mech where someone mounted a leaf switch to it. Whenever the reject button was pushed it adds credits. No mods to the coin door other than soldering jumper wires to the existing switch which can easily be undone. Unlike drilling extra holes which is permanent....

On my Volcano, I just ran a wire from the play button over to the credit wire on the nearest coin mech. Every time you hit play, another credit is added just before one is deducted. I put a small toggle switch in my new wire which lets me disable free play anytime I wish. No holes, automatic free-play, completely reversible. (this is the same modification as per PinWiki, except they show it being done on the other end of the same wires as a jumper on the diode bank.)

Added 20 months ago:

EDIT: Just make sure the coin mech where you run your wire is a slot that is configured (MPU dip switches) to accept ONE coin. When you have this free-play mod in place, one play button push simulates one coin being inserted.

#5517 1 year ago
Quoted from ElectricLou:

Anyone has a nice Count-Down playfield for sale?

Wade is considering reproducing them. More people that express interest, the more likely he will move forward with production.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-interest-in-a-wade-repro-pf-for-count-down#post-7047424

#5518 1 year ago

I'm re-pinning some .156 female pins on an '80 Stern. Will these pins also fit and work in a Gottlieb sys 80 MPU-to-driver board connector? I have some without the 'wings' on the contacts and I was thinking of adding those extra 5v and ground wires. Thanks!

#5519 1 year ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

I'm re-pinning some .156 female pins on an '80 Stern. Will these pins also fit and work in a Gottlieb sys 80 MPU-to-driver board connector? I have some without the 'wings' on the contacts and I was thinking of adding those extra 5v and ground wires. Thanks!

Most connectors yes but not the interconnect it's bifurcated

#5520 1 year ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Most connectors yes but not the interconnect it's bifurcated

I couldn't find those, does anybody still sell them?

#5521 1 year ago

Hey I just joined the club for the first time. I got myself a Spring Break, Gottlieb System B. I've located only 1 issue so far. All 3 pop bumpers are acting a little different.
Top R- works
Top L- doesn't work and doesn't blow a fuse
Bottom- doesn't work and blows fuse on game start.

I've read that some of these games have ground issues and that Spring Break isn't that bad. I did remove the ground connectors a couple of times and put them back on without change. Has anybody had a similar pop bumper problem that could help?

Additionally, I don't have any schematics for the game and couldn't find any for free on the internet. If someone could PM or email me the file, it would be greatly appreciated.

#5524 1 year ago

Hey guys,
I'm still trying to work on my pop bumpers without schematics:
Top R- works

Since I'm new to Gottlieb Sys80B, I've been trying to figure out if all 3 of these boards pictured below go to the pop bumpers or does 1 activate all? The top board seems to have a burnt diode. The next one down has a missing screw on the 2N6057. The 3rd board down seems to have a missing capacitor, but I think it goes to the working pop bumper. I've tried to plug one molex into the other boards with no change. The diode boards on the top and bottom all test good. Also, does this one board on the backside with all the transistors go to the pop bumpers. I have one transistor that's testing funny and may be burnt. This seems like a lot of crap for just 3 pop bumpers. Can someone tell me if I'm on the right track?

Thank you

Image (resized).jpegImage (resized).jpegImage copy (resized).jpegImage copy (resized).jpeg
#5525 1 year ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Hey guys,
Top R- works
Since I'm new to Gottlieb Sys80B, I've been trying to figure out if all 3 of these boards pictured below go to the pop bumpers or does 1 activate all? The top board seems to have a burnt diode. The next one down has a missing screw on the 2N6057. The 3rd board down seems to have a missing capacitor, but I think it goes to the working pop bumper. I've tried to plug one molex into the other boards with no change. The diode boards on the top and bottom all test good. Also, does this one board on the backside with all the transistors go to the pop bumpers. I have one transistor that's testing funny and may be burnt. This seems like a lot of crap for just 3 pop bumpers. Can someone tell me if I'm on the right track?
Thank you[quoted image][quoted image]

Do you ever get down to the Lodi area? I have a pop bumper tester to test them.

#5526 1 year ago

Only for the Golden State Pinball Festival, haha. I do have a friend trying to purchase a King of Steel today in Lodi. Is that yours?

#5527 1 year ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Only for the Golden State Pinball Festival, haha. I do have a friend trying to purchase a King of Steel today in Lodi. Is that yours?

No, but I know that guy. The machine will work as described he's a good guy

#5528 1 year ago

Does anyone know where I could find a display mounting bracket (part #26103) for a Bad Girls? Any idea of what I could use if the part isn't available? I've scoured through various pictures of Bad Girls pinball machines and see that this part in particular isn't closely photographed, but it looks like just a piece of metal with mounting tabs on it that has a lip that is secured to the bottom of the backbox.

#5529 1 year ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Hey guys,
Top R- works
Thank you[quoted image][quoted image]

The MA-789 board runs the tracer lights.

#5530 1 year ago
Quoted from RatShack:

The MA-789 board runs the tracer lights.

Good info, thank you!

#5531 1 year ago

A fellow Pinsider sent me some schematics. Thanks for the help everyone.

#5532 1 year ago

Are System 80B games particularly sensitive to switch cleanliness? I have a stubborn standup that doesn’t register well at all. I’ve cleaned it a million times with paper, then windex, then finally in a last ditch effort—metal polish (as to not damage whatever gold flashing that may or may not actually be there). Every time I clean it, the switch works flawlessly for a few hours, but then it stops again.

The switch contacts don’t really look any worse than any other switches I’ve seen. I’ll likely just replace with a new standup, but it’s curious that all the cleaning I do to it doesn’t really help.

#5533 1 year ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Are System 80B games particularly sensitive to switch cleanliness? I have a stubborn standup that doesn’t register well at all. I’ve cleaned it a million times with paper, then windex, then finally in a last ditch effort—metal polish (as to not damage whatever gold flashing that may or may not actually be there). Every time I clean it, the switch works flawlessly for a few hours, but then it stops again.
The switch contacts don’t really look any worse than any other switches I’ve seen. I’ll likely just replace with a new standup, but it’s curious that all the cleaning I do to it doesn’t really help.

How are the edge connectors on the MPU? Also what game is it? Some machines like Monte Carlo with the motor for the wheel tend to blow some of the switch matrix IC. A while back I designed a small daughter board with clamping diodes to help prevent that from happening. Been running one in my Genesis and have them in Monte Carlo and even older System 80 games like Volcano.

#5534 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Yes I worked on a TX that seemingly had a dead switch matrix but worked great with a tester. Started cleaning switches and the machine came back to like. This was especially the case with kicking targets

#5535 1 year ago

TX Sector is the game. The target in question is the single standup behind the pops. No other issues with switches, and it springs to life every time I clean it, but I’m guessing it corrodes again, and stops working?

I’m partly thinking that the gold plating may have worn away, and cleaning it cleans the corrosion off yielding a temporary fix until it corrodes again. I’ve never had an issue like this with any other game. It’s definitely not a switch matrix or connector problem.

#5536 1 year ago

i am missing something on this? or is there something wrong? That Genesis was a project that came with original battery, i took it out and put a 4xAA holder wit h3 batteries and a diode, similar to what i do on Bally/Stern (and what seems to be on Pinwiki).

Scores and credit held for a few days then today, they all reset... the voltage on the wire to the board still read 4.8v so the batteries look fine. Something else going on?
20220808_173756- (resized).jpg20220808_173756- (resized).jpg
20220808_173800- (resized).jpg20220808_173800- (resized).jpg

#5537 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

i am missing something on this? or is there something wrong? That Genesis was a project that came with original battery, i took it out and put a 4xAA holder wit h3 batteries and a diode, similar to what i do on Bally/Stern (and what seems to be on Pinwiki).
Scores and credit held for a few days then today, they all reset... the voltage on the wire to the board still read 4.8v so the batteries look fine. Something else going on?
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

You should have voltage at pin 8 or 22 of the 5101 with the machine off. If you don't and the batteries do then the it's not getting to the ram. To be clear I'm not sure which one but it's one of those 2

#5538 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I truly went through the same shit on my Genesis. I went the NVRAM route and haven't had a lost score on my high score table in over a year since I installed it.

https://pinballelectronics.com/index.php/product/5101-nvram-battery-eliminator-module-for-gottlieb-pinball-machines/

I also burnt the custom "free play" ROM for a double whammy of "go screw yourself, volatile RAM" action.

#5539 1 year ago

I usually go NVRAM but the 5101 modules haven't been as available as before. On the Gottlieb System 1 and System 80 a memory capacitor works well. Lately I have been installing larger 4F capacitors where the battery used to go. That and if any of the IC's for the switch matrix have failed in the past I install one of the diode clamping daughter boards to help protect those chips. This is what I am running in my Genesis.

You may want to check your DIP switch settings too. There is one on whether is should keep high scores or not. If it is set not to keep them you may not be expecting that and think there is an issue.

Of course the 5101 RAM chip may be going bad. I've run across a large number of failed 5101 chips over the years.

SYS80CAP (resized).jpgSYS80CAP (resized).jpgSYS80_DC1 (resized).jpgSYS80_DC1 (resized).jpg
#5540 1 year ago

great info, thank you, sounds like it maybe a failing 5101 since the current from the battery looks good. i'll try the NVRAM route, never really played with those

i really wish there was a Pascal all in one replacement for 80B system-

#5541 1 year ago

Are new production Gottlieb drop targets known for inconsistent manufacturing?

This Cleopatra set has issues with 2 of 5. One is so bad it won't drop by hand because it's too thick. Used sandpaper to cut it down and remove all the flash but apparently it wasn't enough.

#5542 1 year ago
Quoted from RatShack:

Are new production Gottlieb drop targets known for inconsistent manufacturing?
This Cleopatra set has issues with 2 of 5. One is so bad it won't drop by hand because it's too thick. Used sandpaper to cut it down and remove all the flash but apparently it wasn't enough.

I had the same issue with a new target in Genesis. I had to file the catch down to an angle to get it to drop.

#5543 1 year ago

I install one of the diode clamping daughter boards to help protect those chips.

Are these diode clamping boards available commercially (as completed unit or kit). If so who sells them?

Phil

#5544 1 year ago
Quoted from BleacherBum:

Are these diode clamping boards available commercially (as completed unit or kit). If so who sells them?
Phil

Hello Phil,

This is a board I designed a while ago. Originally made it for a Monte Carlo and some other games that would blow the switch matrix IC's for no obvious reasons. Seems to occur more frequently in games that have motors like Monte Carlo, Genesis, Volcano, etc. I've been selling assembled boards (include a couple extra DIP sockets) for $20 plus shipping. Getting ready to setup the website for those and a few other niche updates for old games. I have these in several of my own games. If you'd like one just send a PM.

Robert

#5545 1 year ago

... and some other games that would blow the switch matrix IC's for no obvious reasons. Seems to occur more frequently in games that have motors like Monte Carlo, Genesis, Volcano, etc.

I'm wondering if you could draw a simple schematic of the concept in action. Thank you.

I have a Volcano and the only motor is the one that engages temporarily just for aiming the shooting lane. I play it frequently and never saw the problem you describe, but I am still interested in seeing what may be happening here.

#5546 1 year ago
Quoted from sparky672:

I'm wondering if you could draw a simple schematic of the concept in action. Thank you.
I have a Volcano and the only motor is the one that engages temporarily just for aiming the shooting lane. I play it frequently and never saw the problem you describe, but I am still interested in seeing what may be happening here.

The game where I have seen it most often is with Monte Carlo. Others can happen and on a lot of these machines the switch matrix IC's are often in sockets already. From boards I've had to repair it just seemed more common on games with the extra motor on the playfield. If you've never had the issue on your game no need to install one now but if those go then this can help prevent it from happening again.

#5547 1 year ago

Anyone ever had problems with their displays only sometimes turning on at power up? Switch off and on again and the displays will then work.

#5548 1 year ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Anyone ever had problems with their displays only sometimes turning on at power up? Switch off and on again and the displays will then work.

Yes. Many intermittent problems with the MPU, including the one you describe.

I needed to replace the entire reset section due to battery corrosion damage. Even though the board looked clean, the alkaline damage went deep where it traveled up the legs of the components. Mostly cracked resistors and transistor legs that fell off.

#5549 1 year ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I had a similar problem with Charlie's Angels and was advised the reset section of the CPU was failing. However, I swapped power supplies and the problem is gone.

#5550 1 year ago
Quoted from RDBowers:

However, I swapped power supplies and the problem is gone.

Now that's a really good point. I also had flaky connections at the power supply, so I replaced all the male pin headers and rebuilt the female connectors.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington Township, NJ
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wind Point, WI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Portland, OR
$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

1,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ajax, ON
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,542 posts in this topic. You are on page 111 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/111 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.