(Topic ID: 73213)

Home for the Gottlieb SYS1-SYS80B guys, Yep it's a club :)

By Gerry

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 6,542 posts
  • 651 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by bajm
  • Topic is favorited by 323 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4872 (resized).jpeg
20240406_124716 (resized).jpg
DSCN0762 (resized).JPG
DSCN0761 (resized).JPG
DSCN0760 (resized).JPG
DSCN0759 (resized).JPG
DSCN0758 (resized).JPG
DSCN0757 (resized).JPG
camphoto_1903590565 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0908 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240323_185836328_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183723387_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240323_183710851_HDR (resized).jpg
CETK (resized).jpg
bad-girls (resized).png
IMG_20240211_193049 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,542 posts in this topic. You are on page 107 of 131.
#5301 1 year ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

I took a close look at the circuitry driving lamp L7 and there it was... a solder bridge shorting a flip-flop output to LD4! I think it came from the factory this way, and remained undiscovered/unsolved for 38 years![quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, nice sleuthing!

#5302 1 year ago

Just picked up Count Down and we love it
Only issue is I cannot add more then one credit on it

Was wondering if anyone had a suggestion of where to look/what to replace

My initial thought is NVRAM?
Maybe install one ?

#5303 1 year ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

Maybe install one ?

Is it running all original boards? Can you take a picture of the boards in the back box? A close up with the DIP switches may help too.

#5304 1 year ago

Maybe install one ?

Are you trying to put it on free play? There's a few simple solutions to alleviate this issue.

Check out the pinwiki article on setting system 1 games to free play. 3.5.1

SmartSelect_20220507-042206_Chrome (resized).jpgSmartSelect_20220507-042206_Chrome (resized).jpg
#5305 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Is it running all original boards? Can you take a picture of the boards in the back box? A close up with the DIP switches may help too.

Thank you !
It is all original
Here are some pictures

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#5306 1 year ago

Thanks for the replies
I’m not a novice but I am with these system 1s and I don’t want to screw the pooch on it

#5307 1 year ago

Derby party fun!! Always love having parties like this to see what people gravitate towards.

655211DD-0920-462B-90BF-39F506AB2484 (resized).jpeg655211DD-0920-462B-90BF-39F506AB2484 (resized).jpeg
#5308 1 year ago

Here's my baby looking amazing. Can't beat a good Sinbad, with pascal.

FB_IMG_1651984081588 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1651984081588 (resized).jpg
#5309 1 year ago

Selling a pair of SYS3 and SYS80 MPUs
Unknown condition Sys80 MPU: $60
This one works as far as I know. Replaced it when I was doing a board overhaul, but seemed to be working 100% when removed
Gottlieb Sys3 CPU: $125
Gave me a U6 error originally. Replaced the DS1210, then was getting a U3 error. Replaced the board because I got lazy.

Get both of em shipped continental US for $150. PM me.

IMG_5795 (resized).JPGIMG_5795 (resized).JPGIMG_5796 (resized).JPGIMG_5796 (resized).JPGIMG_5797 (resized).JPGIMG_5797 (resized).JPGIMG_5798 (resized).JPGIMG_5798 (resized).JPG
#5310 1 year ago

Black Hole question;

Lower playfield----

When the play is over on the lower PF, ball does come back to uppper pf. but the problem is that the light stays on, right flipper is inop but left flipper is operative then entire rest of the play.

I noticed several switches in the lower PF were inop, and I suspected the connectors first. I reseated three times but did not make any kind of positive outcome.

This is one of Ken Layton's babies and I cannot fault his documentation or prior work.

Looking for a shortcut.

The relays, in continuity test, appear to be good and ohm out correctly. The switches out do not appear to be related, meaning related to similar circuits.

TYVM IN ADVANCE!

#5311 1 year ago

Might be a bit of a silly question, but I finally got a better look in the backbox of my diamond lady, and it appears I’m missing the board/component circled. What exactly is it? I don’t have a manual for diamond lady and couldn’t find a PDF online. Any help would be awesome.

0E5483BB-EC4E-4F48-8A88-E267CFE9492D (resized).jpeg0E5483BB-EC4E-4F48-8A88-E267CFE9492D (resized).jpeg

D7729416-AE9A-4113-97CD-B91FAAA94C0D (resized).jpegD7729416-AE9A-4113-97CD-B91FAAA94C0D (resized).jpeg

#5313 1 year ago

I have a few 80b power supplies for sale on eBay. I'd recommend you just buy an aftermarket Gulf Pinball one though.

ebay.com link: itm

ebay.com link: itm

#5314 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Derby party fun!! Always love having parties like this to see what people gravitate towards. [quoted image]

Please remove the battery before it leaks. It's over 40 years old.

#5315 1 year ago

Thanks for the replies
I’m not a novice but I am with these system 1s and I don’t want to screw the pooch on it

Please remove the battery before it leaks. It's over 40 years old

#5316 1 year ago

Sorry Chuckwurt wrong post

#5317 1 year ago
Quoted from Blackghost4:

Please remove the battery before it leaks. It's over 40 years old

On it!

#5318 1 year ago

One other thing has me wracking my brains. In this System 80A game ("The Games"), I can use the button inside the coin door to look at bookkeeping and run self-tests, but... here's the problem: the self-test steps work mostly as they should, 16 (Relays and lamps), 17 (solenoids, sounds, and operator switches)... but when I advance to step 18 (switch test) the machine just skips past it and starts step 19 (display test). I can see "18" in the score display for a split-second before the display test starts. Happens EVERY TIME. What the heck? I doesn't appear that the button inside the coin door is bouncy (it works perfectly for everything else). When I advance to step 18, I expect to see "18 99" in the score display (or "18 67" with a ball in the outhole) before I press the button to advance to step 19. Any clues?

It took me a while but I finally figured this out. The test switch inside the coin door was mechanically broken, internally, but in a weird way. Most of the time, instead of behaving like a momentary contact, normally-open pushbutton, it behaved like a momentary contact, NORMALLY-CLOSED pushbutton. Fiddling around with it, I could feel that something wasn't quite right. The button's plastic housing was loose, not solidly attached to the threaded metal part, as if somebody had pushed the button super hard. One of the weirdest things I've ever seen, but a simple fix!

#5319 1 year ago

Sold my Big House a few weeks ago and the new owner had a fix for the credits.
He drilled a hole in the coindoor, put a button there and hooked that to the wiring of one of the coin switches.
Easier then having to open the door all the time, just thought I'd share this with you guys

IMG-20220513-WA0002 (resized).jpgIMG-20220513-WA0002 (resized).jpgIMG-20220513-WA0003 (resized).jpgIMG-20220513-WA0003 (resized).jpg
#5320 1 year ago

I add a secondary switch to the left initials button. Had the parts laying around. Free play roms are available for them as well.

#5321 1 year ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Sold my Big House a few weeks ago and the new owner had a fix for the credits.
He drilled a hole in the coindoor, put a button there and hooked that to the wiring of one of the coin switches.
Easier then having to open the door all the time, just thought I'd share this with you guys
[quoted image][quoted image]

Unfortunately someone did this on my Genesis, Volcano, and Red Baron too. No reason to drill any holes in the coin door.

For Machines that don't have a freeplay setting the best method I've seen was to use an old plastic coin mech where someone mounted a leaf switch to it. Whenever the reject button was pushed it adds credits. No mods to the coin door other than soldering jumper wires to the existing switch which can easily be undone. Unlike drilling extra holes which is permanent. At least it looks like it was done neatly but better not to drill holes in the door at all.

#5322 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Unfortunately someone did this on my Genesis, Volcano, and Red Baron too. No reason to drill any holes in the coin door.
For Machines that don't have a freeplay setting the best method I've seen was to use an old plastic coin mech where someone mounted a leaf switch to it. Whenever the reject button was pushed it adds credits. No mods to the coin door other than soldering jumper wires to the existing switch which can easily be undone. Unlike drilling extra holes which is permanent. At least it looks like it was done neatly but better not to drill holes in the door at all.

Thats why I didn't try this method, not a fan either but if you're planning on keeping a game: it is an option. Your idea is a lot better though, will remember if I ever get another machine without free play. Thanks!

#5323 1 year ago

This is what someone did on my Buck Rogers. Added a leaf switch to an old plastic coin mech. Works great!

C52321CC-98FC-42BB-AC23-6FC3AADFED7D (resized).jpegC52321CC-98FC-42BB-AC23-6FC3AADFED7D (resized).jpeg
#5324 1 year ago

I just connected a momentary to the unused center mech lead wires. You just open the door and add a dozen credits and you’re good to go

33B4FA81-6897-434F-AC84-817784E90E7B (resized).jpeg33B4FA81-6897-434F-AC84-817784E90E7B (resized).jpeg
#5325 1 year ago

I have a swemmer MPU in my big house. It doesn’t hold the high scores after power off. Adjustment 6 is already set to off so they shouldn’t reset.

Thoughts?

6817DDE7-480E-4CCC-82ED-1C586E982072 (resized).jpeg6817DDE7-480E-4CCC-82ED-1C586E982072 (resized).jpeg
#5326 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I have a swemmer MPU in my big house. It doesn’t hold the high scores after power off. Adjustment 6 is already set to off so they shouldn’t reset.
Thoughts?[quoted image]

Failing NVRAM and/or nearby transistor??? Seems that part of the Swemmer board was prone to problems…
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swemmer-board-sys80b-no-longer-booting

#5327 1 year ago

If anyone is doing a playfield swap now or in the future I have plenty of the wiring staples for your needs. I'm not selling the box. I will send you a row of staples. I "think" one/two full row of staples should complete a playfield and cabinet. I included a picture of the staple gun I use, it's not for sale

Unicatch 22 Gauge 71 Series 3/8 Inch Crown by 1/4 Inch Leg Length Galvanized Fine Wire Staples or Upholstery Staples (10,00pcs/Box) Similar to BEA 71/06 and Senco C04
staples (resized).jpgstaples (resized).jpgstaples 1 (resized).jpgstaples 1 (resized).jpg

staple 2 (resized).jpgstaple 2 (resized).jpg
#5328 1 year ago

Failing NVRAM and/or nearby transistor??? Seems that part of the Swemmer board was prone to problems…
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/swemmer-board-sys80b-no-longer-booting

Where is the NVRAM on my picture?

#5329 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Where is the NVRAM on my picture?

Would have been on the upper left but you didn't picture it.

#5330 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Would have been on the upper left but you didn't picture it.

E099D4EE-AE3A-4D0B-A895-ABA3B6714BB9 (resized).jpegE099D4EE-AE3A-4D0B-A895-ABA3B6714BB9 (resized).jpeg
#5332 1 year ago

You don't have nvram on yours that's a regular 5101. But the transistor is still in the circuit, I'm not sure what you'd need to do there to fix it. It's one of the surface mount ones to the right of the socket I don't know which one though.

#5333 1 year ago

Okay. Not sure where to go from here either.

#5334 1 year ago

The pinitech and likely the anypin 5101 will work on gottlieb boards - something about a second /CE being needed, or inverted - not sure. I just get the pinitech ones when they're in stock for all my games since they will work on all my boards.

Your existing 5101 might be bad as well have you tried changing it? Looked like it's soldered in on your board... bummer.

#5335 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Okay. Not sure where to go from here either.

You need to put in a battery to keep the high scores since (as slochar said) you have regular RAM and not NVRAM on your board.
There might be nothing wrong besides that.

#5336 1 year ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

You need to put in a battery to keep the high scores since (as slochar said) you have regular RAM and not NVRAM on your board.
There might be nothing wrong besides that.

I see. And what if I change out the regular 5101 with a 5101 nvram. Should that get me where I need to go as well?

#5337 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

The pinitech and likely the anypin 5101 will work on gottlieb boards - something about a second /CE being needed, or inverted - not sure. I just get the pinitech ones when they're in stock for all my games since they will work on all my boards.
Your existing 5101 might be bad as well have you tried changing it? Looked like it's soldered in on your board... bummer.

Which is the 5101? I only see socketed chips on this board.

#5338 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Which is the 5101? I only see socketed chips on this board.

It's the one with the red circle around it here.

I'm not familiar with the Schwemmer boards, so I do not not which NVRAM to use here.
The larger socket around the smaller one seems to indicate you can use something like a FM1608, but check the manual.

eab0754da023597d293023aed185519195dc35b9 (resized).jpgeab0754da023597d293023aed185519195dc35b9 (resized).jpg
#5339 1 year ago

Thanks. That chip is definitely socketed. So just a matter of find an appropriate nvram.

slochar so get a pin tech 5101 yeah?

#5340 1 year ago

This is the one that should work:
https://www.pinitech.com/products/5101_nvram.php

1 week later
#5342 1 year ago

Reaching out for some troubleshooting assistance with my newly acquired Gottlieb Caveman pinball machine. This game was operational, with some small sound issues, and the seller recorded a video of the game in action. However, after performing bulletproofing and recommended ground modifications, the game will not boot up and play. Before going any further, the following were performed:
• All solid state boards are original style (no upgraded aftermarket boards).
• Recommended ground modifications were installed to all boards.
• Original orange capacitors were replaced with 12,000 mfd @ 25V radial snap capacitors (from Marco’s Specialties).
• All single side connectors were repinned, including the A23-J2 connector at the I / O board.
• Installed the updated Caveman Evolutions eeprom (designed by Davroux Brothers).
• All fuses checked and good.
When the pinball was first energized, the displays all illuminated, but most of the playfield lights ( not all ) locked on
and there is NO attract mode. The test mode cannot be activated nor can any credits be added. All the while the video is in GERMAN attract mode. All the tilt (pendulum/ ball roll / playfield side to side all normally open) and the slam switch (normally closed) were in correct position. After being powered up and performing various tests, now the displays DO NOT illuminate and different lighting stays locked on, and still CANNOT get a game started. I even tried swapping out a working Swemmer MPU board, but the results were the same (with no changes), so the problem lies in the game.
I scoured and searched the internet and YouTube for information and answers, but only found a little information. Can anyone provide any insight, or point me in the right direction as to where to start troubleshooting this game? I really do not know where to start. Thanks for your help.

#5343 1 year ago

I am considering selling some Holy Grail Gottlieb parts. I planned on building an Eclipse but I don’t see this ever happening for me. This is what I have:

The archival proof NOS Eclipse playfield
The archival proof NOS Eclipse backglass
NOS plastic set
NOS pop bumper bodies
The PBR reproduction manual
There is some other stuff that I purchased like an after market sound card and and NOS Pop caps in the wrong color that I will also include.

I’m not interested in breaking up the set.

The price would be 3k and I am firm on that. I have never seen another playfield available in all the years I have been collecting. PM me if you are interested.

#5344 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

The price would be 3k and I am firm on that. I have never seen another playfield available in all the years I have been collecting. PM me if you are interested.

Seems like a more than reasonable price for the package. Hope someone jumps on it.

#5345 1 year ago

Not one you see too often.

8c8713175cb411a474a2ce6c4480dd305272b6a9 (resized).jpg8c8713175cb411a474a2ce6c4480dd305272b6a9 (resized).jpg
#5346 1 year ago

Glad to see someone hopped on that deal.

Insanely fun game. Great cabinet too. Love the skinny head.

#5347 1 year ago

Just picked up a Pinball Pool on the cheap side. Lady said, it was working fine then I smelled something burning and shut it down after a minute or so.
Upon inspection I noticed the coil going to the upper kick out hole chard to a cinder, wiring not fried. Also the 5 amp and 2 amp slo blo fuses were cooked as well. Does this look like damage to the driver? If so, is it worth sending out for repair (I don't do board repair) or just purchase another one?
NI-Wumph and PBR are out of stock of Dave's driver board at the moment. The pin has a NI-Wumph CPU. Who ever worked on the pin before made a note in the back box that it was re-pinned June 2018. Any help and opinions are greatly appreciated.

DRIVER (resized).jpgDRIVER (resized).jpgDRIVER 2 (resized).jpgDRIVER 2 (resized).jpgDRIVER 3 (resized).jpgDRIVER 3 (resized).jpgDRIVER 4 (resized).jpgDRIVER 4 (resized).jpg
#5348 1 year ago

Hey guys, I have a Chicago cubs triple play in good working order. I noticed that the back ground sound is no longer there. All other sounds from playfield switches work as they should but the constant background music is not. The sound board is a MA-490 and has the daughter board attached to it. It also has 2 dips switches at the top but not sure what they do. When I try different configurations of the dips I can get some sounds but they are distorted. Any help is appreciated.

#5349 1 year ago
Quoted from gjm:

Just picked up a Pinball Pool on the cheap side. Lady said, it was working fine then I smelled something burning and shut it down after a minute or so.
Upon inspection I noticed the coil going to the upper kick out hole chard to a cinder, wiring not fried. Also the 5 amp and 2 amp slo blo fuses were cooked as well. Does this look like damage to the driver? If so, is it worth sending out for repair (I don't do board repair) or just purchase another one?
NI-Wumph and PBR are out of stock of Dave's driver board at the moment. The pin has a NI-Wumph CPU. Who ever worked on the pin before made a note in the back box that it was re-pinned June 2018. Any help and opinions are greatly appreciated.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The driver board is easily repairable. You'll need to determine if it's a shorted coil or something else that cooked things.
I diode test the driver transistor, test the diode associated with it, and test the ohms on the coil. Replace whatever tested bad.

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
#5350 1 year ago

well, i had intermittent sound on my Alien Star, would not always be one, especially background sound. Seems to go on and off when jiggling the Driver board to Control board connector (new repro one) so i cleaned and reflow the connected of the Control board but now...

no sound at all, not a peep even when jiggling every connector so i assume i shorted something somehow on the board related to the sound?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Madison, WI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gainesville, GA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,542 posts in this topic. You are on page 107 of 131.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-for-the-gottlieb-sys1-sys-80b-guys-yep-i-guess-it-a-club/page/107 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.