(Topic ID: 352518)

Home Depot, Lowes or Menards (or other)? And why?

By joemagiera

4 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Mthomasslo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Home Depot, Lowes or Menards (or other)? And why?”

• Home Depot 38 votes
      51%
    • Lowes 18 votes
      24%
    • Menard's 18 votes
      24%

(74 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Kempsville Building Materials (resized).png
    1272x716-Taylors-History-111023 (resized).jpeg
    1272x716-Taylors-Team-111023 (resized).jpeg
    1 (resized).jpeg
    348s (resized).jpg
    ray (resized).jpg
    spongebob-battle-for-bikini-bottom-bfbb.gif
    Screenshot_20240227_160927_Chrome (resized).jpg
    01.-Ganahl-Lumber-SB-Jan-Feb-21-1024x683 (resized).jpg
    There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #54 4 months ago

I know someone that has a picture of gal that has a load from Menards in a trailer she's pulling. I don't steal memes so I can't provide it.

#56 4 months ago
    Quoted from joemagiera:

I have all three within a short driving distance from my house. When I need something from that type of store, I try all three to see selection and price. I used to be a Home Depot guy (until about 5 years ago). Now Menards wins about 99% of the time. Lowes is pretty bad, I don't know why I even bother stopping there anymore, and Home Depot lately is just about right there with Lowes from my experience.
    What about you guys? Am I missing some big box chain that fits this type of store? Yes I know Amazon is pretty good, but a lot of times, I want/need something "right now". Sorry, pinside polls only allow for three choices.
    Home Depot & Menards are priced very close, though Menards is usually cheaper (less than a dollar). Lowest is almost always the highest price. Menards definitely has the most helpful employees. Menards also seems to have the widest selection and best displays of products. Finding help at Home Depot and/or Lowest is horrible.
    Joe

I agree with most everything you have noted. The only difference is that I get better advice from employees that have actually worked in a trade at Home Depot over Menards.

#57 4 months ago

Ace is the place with the helpful hardware folks.

#58 4 months ago

Lowes. Get the rewards store card for 5% off everything you buy.

#59 4 months ago

they aren't bad, stock price has risen about +$55 since october...pays an ok Dividend. HD is crushing them

#60 4 months ago

Or when pinball could make a better game than the movie.

spongebob-battle-for-bikini-bottom-bfbb.gifspongebob-battle-for-bikini-bottom-bfbb.gif
    #61 4 months ago

I go to Menards to save big money

#62 4 months ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

I never buy tools from HD or Lowes unless it's an emergency. Better deals online.

For Dewalt or Milwaukee? Just curious.

#63 4 months ago

Lowe's has some items HD does not and vice versa so I use both. My default is HD. If inventory is less than 100 on any item at HD it's a crap shoot whether it is in stock or not. No Menard's.

#64 4 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

There's a bunch of Ace hardware stores in my area. I don't usually find much that I need there, though. Then additionally, there's an area store brand that also runs some of the Ace hardware locations...but I'm not quite sure what the ownership/franchise arrangement is. That local brand also has a building supply store, and a commercial door & glass shop where I've gotten tempered glass before.

Once in a while I find something at an Agway. The one close by that has a decent selection of screws, nuts & bolts, which is convenient in a pinch.

There's also a Tractor Supply in the area...I've gotten replacement tires for my harbor freight blue hand trucks there, plus some other odds & ends on occasion.

#65 4 months ago
    Quoted from plowpusher:

I go to Menards to save big money

ray (resized).jpgray (resized).jpg
    #66 4 months ago
    Quoted from Electronmagic:

I’m guessing most people not voting for Menards just don’t have one in their neck of the woods.
    Trust me, if you had a Menards, it would be your go-to store. Cheaper on almost everything, better quality on most things, and none of that self check out bullshit.

Started in 1958 in Wisconsin by Johnny Menard Jr. has now grown to 351 Midwest stores . almost all stock is held privately by him . I am told that all of the inventory in the store is completely paid for and Menards has almost zero debt . Along with all of your hardware items , they sell a tremendous amount of prepackaged fresh and frozen food.

Even though All store items are priced competitively , in addition to a military discount , they also offer an 11% rebate on all purchases. This is is a very large amount if you are doing any costly projects . You simply take your receipt or a copy , fill out a postcard size form and mail it in . Your rebate check will arrive in 14 days or less, that you just use on your next purchases .. I received $ 1100.00 back on a deck material purchase that made the overall deal much cheaper than Lowe’s or Home Depot .

#67 4 months ago
    Quoted from Whistles:

[quoted image]

I had only heard this guy in countless commercials, and he looks exactly like the mental image I had.

#68 4 months ago
    Quoted from Boxedbeef:

Started in 1958 in Wisconsin by Johnny Menard Jr. has now grown to 351 Midwest stores . almost all stock is held privately by him . I am told that all of the inventory in the store is completely paid for and Menards has almost zero debt . Along with all of your hardware items , they sell a tremendous amount of prepackaged fresh and frozen food.
    Even though All store items are priced competitively , in addition to a military discount , they also offer an 11% rebate on all purchases. This is is a very large amount if you are doing any costly projects . You simply take your receipt or a copy , fill out a postcard size form and mail it in . Your rebate check will arrive in 14 days or less, that you just use on your next purchases .. I received $ 1100.00 back on a deck material purchase that made the overall deal much cheaper than Lowe’s or Home Depot .

Contractors like the rebate programs so they can bill you for the total purchase and pocket the 11% rebates

#69 4 months ago

My #1 is Home Depot by a landslide. A distant second is Lowes, and in last place is Menards, although due to family loyalty, it is moving up - my niece works at one now and is a department manager at a location.

Regarding Menards though - I'm just not a fan of the whole...buy it at full price, and during times we'll give you a rebate (if the item fit's in a paper shopping bag) if you fill out the paperwork in the form of store credit. If you can remember to use it or where you put it three months later.

But If it is just a "crap, I forgot I needed this little thing for a project" I go to my local ACE, it's less than a mile away, they just don't have enough for big projects to make them hit the radar, generally.

#70 4 months ago
    Quoted from plowpusher:

Contractors like the rebate programs so they can bill you for the total purchase and pocket the 11% rebates

Yes my menards is a haven for contractors, like a double dip for them with that rebate as well for how it works out on taxes.

#71 4 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

There's a bunch of Ace hardware stores in my area. I don't usually find much that I need there, though.

Ace here has a great selection of hardware like nuts, bolts, and screws.

But, just like the above mentioned Ganahl's which is far superior to Home Depot or Lowe's when it comes to lumber or other major home improvements, we have a hardware store called McFadden-Dale next town over. And if they don't have the hardware you are looking for, you probably won't find it.
    348s (resized).jpg348s (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpeg1 (resized).jpeg

#72 4 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Nice store.

#73 4 months ago

My default is Menards. Occasionally go to Home Depot. Rarely (once every few years) go to Lowes only if the first two don't have something specific.

Before I moved, I would go to a wonderful local Hardware Hank store. Miss that place. Now have a local Ace Hardware, but I don't go there very often.

To paraphrase one of my coworkers, "Pros go to HD or Menards. Competent DIYers go to HD or Menards. People who have gotten overly excited after watching far too much HGTV go to Lowes."

#74 4 months ago

I also liked Ace and True Value, always good alternatives to the big boxes back in the day.

Our only T/V has been gone a good 15-20 years now, and we lost our local Ace a few months back after over 90 years in business across two locations, current owner decided to retire. There's a great little Ace location in downtown San Dimas I frequented when I worked out that way. A little far driving-wise from home for me now unfortunately.

#75 4 months ago
    Quoted from SonicZone:

I also liked Ace and True Value, always good alternatives to the big boxes back in the day.
    Our only T/V has been gone a good 15-20 years now, and we lost our local Ace a few months back after over 90 years in business across two locations, current owner decided to retire. There's a great little Ace location in downtown San Dimas I frequented when I worked out that way. A little far driving-wise from home for me now unfortunately.

I didn’t know there were any true values left. They’re not in my area anymore.

#76 4 months ago

There are no Menards around here. Home Depot and Lowes are ubiquitous. I use them for some things. There's a regional chain called Taylor's Do It Center. The selection may be a bit smaller, but the staff are much more knowledgeable than the big box stores. Most of their locations were True Value stores when I was younger. I'm not sure of the connection, if any. They started out as a general feed store.

1272x716-Taylors-Team-111023 (resized).jpeg1272x716-Taylors-Team-111023 (resized).jpeg

1272x716-Taylors-History-111023 (resized).jpeg1272x716-Taylors-History-111023 (resized).jpeg

Back when I worked as a carpenter, these guys were the go to for lumber and such. Home Depot and Lowes both have picked-over, twisted wood!

Kempsville Building Materials (resized).pngKempsville Building Materials (resized).png

#77 4 months ago

there are still over 4,500 True Value locations

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.