4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jabdoa
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_127187.gif
    image_127195 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

After have a couple of frankenstien home brew pinball machines under my belt, I am trying to make my mind up on what I feel is the route for a home builder with little experience of building the back glass system for a home brew machines.

Thus far I have built three examples of a hybread pinball machine.

Example 1:
    The pinball machines backglass is a TV screen with a full screen emulation of a traditional backglass. It will show the 4 players 7 or 14 Segment score displays, credits, balls, and emulation led bulb and general illuminations. The screen receives it direction from a raspberry pi or small PC that gets direction from a PROC, FAST, OPP, or arduino controller.

Example 2:
    The back glass is a traditional wood board with traditional 80's era 4 player display's [7 Segment or 14 Segment] credits, balls and led lamps and GI's.
    The backglass connects to PROC, FAST, OPP, or arduino controller.

Example 3:
    The backglass is a translite image with a DMD display, The DMD is controlled by a teensy 3.5 with serial connection to arduino controller.

For the traditionalist I find that example 2 gives the look and feel of an original pinball machine.
    Example 2 works for the DMD fans and example 1 works for those who have a virtual pinball machine in their stable of pinball machines.

My question, which of the three options would you choose (especially if you were building a home brew machines ) ?

#2 4 years ago

The way I think about this is what work is involved in each type of display/backglass to make proper use of them. How much work do you need to put into creating content for each type of display?

For example, an older segment display or old-fashioned score reels that only shows the score for each player doesn't require any extra work after you wire it all up. Or if you use a TV to emulate a traditional backglass as you mentioned, you can keep it as basic as you like or take it as far as you like in terms of videos or animations. Both of these options seem pretty straightforward.

In my first homebrew, I used an RGB DMD with a standard translite. It was easy to use MPF to display text for scores, stats, and instructions. But if you leave it at that, you end up with a very plain-looking display. If you're happy with that, great.

But DMDs look their best when they are animated. The downside of using a DMD is that it's really hard to create animations and images that look good. Good pixel art is a lot harder than it seems.

Here's an example of the frames I hand drew in a pixel art program to create an animation of an asteroid exploding for my DMD:

image_127195 (resized).jpgimage_127195 (resized).jpg

Now here's the result:

image_127187.gifimage_127187.gif

While it was great to see the above animation on the DMD, it was a lot of work for something that is over in a flash. The mode I was using this in needed nine separate animations, so imagine doing all of the above nine times. That's just for part of one mode.
    I spent more time creating animations for the DMD than any other aspect of coding the machine.

What I'm trying to say is, to really make good use of a DMD, you need to be able to create good pixel art and be willing to put the time in. For me, the work to make a DMD look good was just overwhelming.

For my current project (Kraken), I'm using an LCD like JJP. I'm only just starting the layout and it's already easier to make something that looks good than making pixel art for the DMD. Significantly easier.
    I already know how to use After Effects, so creating videos and animations aren't too hard. But if you're unfamiliar with programs like that, it can be a lot of work before you can create something that looks good (or just dump video clips from movies/TV on the display like Stern did on their first few attempts).

Some people will find it easy to create good content for DMDs, others will find LCDs easier. Some people may prefer to avoid displays completely and use reels or segment displays instead.

I don't think there's one best route for a home builder as it depends on what type of content you feel comfortable creating for your backglass/display.

Hopefully my ramblings help give you a different way of thinking about it.

#3 4 years ago

The choice could depend on how long you want to be working on the project. The more complex you make it the longer it will take. DMD and Screens can add a lot of work if you want a lot images. A simple homebrew may take a year. A complex one could take 2+ years. Really up to you.

#4 4 years ago

I personally like real DMDs. I run two of the FAST DMDs and they look awesome. Work really well for me (after some issues with earlier firmwares). Smartmatrix with the teensy is similar but more DIY. Alternatively there is also an RPI dmd shield solution but I never tried that. Lately we also added PIN2DMD to MPF. Here is an overview: http://docs.missionpinball.org/en/dev/hardware/dmd_platforms.html

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-brew-the-backglass-design-choices?hl=matthies and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.