IMG_1243.JPG
image.jpg
unnamed.jpg
bly-c826-119.jpg
10539283966_8d786b968e_o.jpg
ChangeMachine.jpg
chest.jpg
changer.jpg
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago

Free Play all the way. I pull the mechs if they are there and get rid of the coin tray to make room for storing parts and the manuals.

I have two different friends who were all about their machines running on quarters when they first got into the hobby. Within a year or so both were quietly running on Free Play.

#52 8 years ago

I want to get a token machine and modify it to dispense tokens at the push of a button.

I modify the coin mechs in my games to take Chuck-E-Cheese tokens. I have been a little lazy about it with some of my more recent pins, but ideally all of my games would run on tokens. I think it's just a fun way to add to the arcade nostalgia for me and it kind of makes winning a free game more a big deal than if it's on free play. I also liked collecting coins as a kid, so I think the token thing taps into that a little.

I also modify the plastic plates and labels and things to say "Tokens". Most plates I can print out and glue to the back of a cut piece of plexiglass for an authentic-looking panel.

Quoted from John_I:

I pull the mechs if they are there and get rid of the coin tray to make room for storing parts and the manuals.

Game-specific parts get stored further back in the cabinet for me.

20150722_182626.jpg20150722_182626.jpg

20150722_182602.jpg20150722_182602.jpg

20150722_182538.jpg20150722_182538.jpg

#53 8 years ago

Free play for me cause i store parts and stuff in the coin box. Hehe

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Care to share what it cost you and how many you got?
I'm looking to do the same thing, just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

Well, can't really compare what I paid in Canada to what would be available in the states, but I did a quick search and saw this price page:

http://www.tokensdirect.com/products/aluminum-0984-custom-token

Just to give you a ballpark idea for in the states.

There would be some additional costs, like having your original die designed/created.

I bought 5000 tokens. The dispenser hopper takes 2000, and I was thinking of getting a coin pusher that would take another 2000, and that leaves a 1000 float.

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Free play for me cause i store parts and stuff in the coin box. Hehe

yeah, I had to clear all my coin boxes, but it wasn't a big deal to throw everything into the goodie bags.

#56 8 years ago

For all of you that use .984 tokens,,, where do you buy the coin mechanisms? I bought some many years ago, and remember paying about $11 a piece. Now I see them costing over $25.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from apc7654:

For all of you that use .984 tokens,,, where do you buy the coin mechanisms? I bought some many years ago, and remember paying about $11 a piece. Now I see them costing over $25.

I think you can buy new cradles or modify your existing ones so they will take just about anything. all that you need to do is change or alter that one piece?

-c

#58 8 years ago

I just have to say... playing the games with a pocket full of tokens jingling in your pocket is the way it's meant to be . So much fun. Especially earning those replays.

#59 8 years ago

Damn right.

You can't have an authentic arcade without tokens. Great job frolic. Maybe I'll have to mint my own someday when I run out of my 27,000 boppers arcade ones hahah

#60 8 years ago

And as for .984 token mechs. Just keep your eyes on ebay. I managed to get a box full for $50 used once. Or just contact some ops in your area. See if they have any kicking around. Or talk to your local chuck e cheese tech hahah

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

My entire game room has been built with everything at commercial level so I've wanted a token machine and put all my machines on tokens. I just bought a token machine from kijiji. Takes 5,10 and 20s (Canadian currency) and the guy had a token hopper we put in.
Next I will mint custom tokens .
unnamed.jpg

Is it working with the new canadian money?

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

Is it working with the new canadian money?

yup. the guy i bought it from reprogrammed it for the new bills. It also takes the old bills. Works great. Basically scour online ads if you want one, coin-op vendors are always selling stuff.

#63 8 years ago

I thought coin mechs were adjustable.
So a 25 cents mech like: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=15
Can't be set up for tokens?

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from KloggMonkey:

It *is*, but you need a cradle for the right size coin, and then adjust the width of the magnet.

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from KloggMonkey:

It's just easier to buy new ones for the size you need.

#66 8 years ago

My pins usually come with coin mechs and it's not too difficult to take parts out to make a quarter mech accept something else. A possible downside is that the mech would accept multiple coins, but in a home environment who cares?

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

My pins usually come with coin mechs and it's not too difficult to take parts out to make a quarter mech accept something else. A possible downside is that the mech would accept multiple coins, but in a home environment who cares?

Give your arcade an Authentic feeling to what an Arcade would feel like maybe?

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-arcades-that-run-on-quarterstokens/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.