A26C2357-B432-41A1-8618-79D403D2F7ED (resized).jpeg
GOTG Node Boards (resized).JPG
SW Node Boards (resized).JPG
Aerosmith Node Boards (resized).JPG
IMG_5239 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #88 The update is present in GOTG Posted by mnpinball (6 years ago)

Post #100 List & comparison of note boards in stern games Posted by fosaisu (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snakesnsparklers.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Just because a few diodes broke doesn't mean they all will. I'm sure Stern will will give you a new diode if you would prefer installing that. I'm also sure Stern is now installing an upgraded diode moving forward to prevent the possibility of having this happen again. Stern simply addressed a problem as they should. It is your choice not to install the zip tie if you so choose. Considering the amount of time most collectors spend cleaning, waxing, and upgrading their machines I can't see that taking two minutes to secure a diode is a hardship or the need to bash Stern for acknowledging an issue and taking steps to prevent further issues. Thanks to the OP for sharing this update.

If only a "few" diodes broke I doubt there would be a service bulletin about it.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Bud:

Stern just can't do right I guess. They should just shut the whole thing down. You can chose to be a negative thinker or a positive thinker or to go with public opinion. I say speak from personal experience. All extremes can have bad affect, there is a balance. It seems anything stern puts out, the negatives are always sought out, even if it's the obvious and Stern can't catch a break.
Any code that begins with 0.XX, would indicate incomplete code, don't complain, you new this when you bought it.
Any "new" system or "upgrade" is going to have its bugs and fixes/improvements, you should have known this when you bought it. Stop complaining.
Complaint without solution is bitching. If you don't have a solution then you might just be a....
For anybody to say they are buying company X pinball instead of Stern is to imply that company X doesn't have issues. I can tell you first hand, that company X does have issues, even some of the same issues as Stern. As long as the issues get resolved, what's the problem?
I think service bulletins are excellent and show ongoing progress to fix and improve things. That is good customer support.

Unfortunately for an issue like this Stern can not win. I agree their service bulletins should help prevent future occurrences, but the fact that this is needed in the first place shows something lacking during development and testing. Almost any problem with modern Stern games can be attributed to cost cutting or rushing.

1 month later
#203 6 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Isn't the RTV flexible? Isn't that what we dont want?

Hot glue is flexible too. A little bit of flex is fine, it should still support the diode miles better than nothing.

#214 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Not sure why some feel the need to do it differently?

Because using hot glue or proper RTV is a superior method. Stern's method is meant to be cheap, easy and fast so anybody can do it, but it does stress the legs when tied together. Maybe not a huge deal, but RTV won't lock the components down while the legs are stressed.

#220 6 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Won't the glue or silicone make the components a pita to replace should one fail?
Those transistors are one of the few things possible to change, and maybe that's why Stern is using the ties and spacer.
I think I would prefer to have them secured with the recommended fix.

No, the glue or RTV can be easily removed if needed.

I'm not saying either method is wrong, of course if you want to use the official Stern method that is fine especially if you're concerned about warranty issues later down the road. Personally I would rather use hot glue or RTV to secure the diode to the adjacent component.

#222 6 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Fair enough, I thought the method was to goop stuff to the board and kind of encase the components in it.
just connecting the tabs would make more sense.
Any concerns about heat?

Nope

2 months later
#250 6 years ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

Recieved my node stabilization kit for GB but therer's no D9 next to Q4 on my board

You do have a D9 but it looks like Stern changed it to a surface mount component? So no stabilization fix required.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Altoona, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Machine - For Sale
Rockland, ON
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snakesnsparklers.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/holy-node-board-batman-and-ghostbusters-and-aerosmith-and-star-wars?tu=snakesnsparklers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.