New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 203690)

Holy node board Batman, GB, Aerosmith, Star Wars - Service Bulletins

By NeilMcRae

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 262 posts
  • 109 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 54 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20180328_143002 (resized).jpg
20180328_142848 (resized).jpg
EEC74348-FD9F-4551-B3E8-228C877C1D9F (resized).jpeg
82BE7ED3-E25B-4E0A-AC34-B55C8D58A2C6 (resized).jpeg
B2F7FF26-E0F5-4D92-B82C-1768D6AB2B5F (resized).jpeg
20171216_142828 (resized).jpg
batman-robin-laughter.gif
lpc (resized).jpg
stern_regulator (resized).jpg
A26C2357-B432-41A1-8618-79D403D2F7ED (resized).jpeg
GOTG Node Boards (resized).JPG
SW Node Boards (resized).JPG
Aerosmith Node Boards (resized).JPG
IMG_5239 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #88 The update is present in GOTG Posted by mnpinball (2 years ago)

Post #100 List & comparison of note boards in stern games Posted by fosaisu (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#74 2 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

I definitely think its a positive as well but i hope we see revisions in the next board and a way for Stern to make them universal for all their games going forward on this system.

It sure would be nice to see universal node boards come in, should save Stern money and hassle and make owners feel more secure about future board availability.

Quoted from flashinstinct:

And to clarify, i dont expect Stern to change all the boards but if the ones currently in games flake out it would be a nice gesture of stern to replace them within a decent time period until they iron out the flaws.

This seems to be exactly what Stern is doing. I don't think there have been any reports of people being turned down for node board replacement -- as I read it, the few people that have ordered replacement boards through Marco did that on their own without first asking Stern for warranty service. It's encouraging that at least so far they're providing appropriate support for node board failures.

#100 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I just answered my own question. I looked at marco and node board 8 and 9 have the same part number, 520-7017-72, so they are identical boards. It appears to just be a generic driver board for switches so shouldnt be game specific.
Other node boards like the ones with insert LED's are game specific because they need to have lights mounted to match the location of the inserts. Some node boards like the one for the mini LCD in Batman66 are game specific because some games like GOTG don't have a mini playfield LCD.

Thanks for researching this. I had the impression from other threads that the Spike node boards were all game-specific, but that's not the case. I pulled the node board tables for Aerosmith, SW and GOTG Pro just to do a quick comparison:

AEROSMITH:
Aerosmith

STAR WARS:
Star Wars

GOTG:
GOTG

So for common node boards, we've got:

• Spike CPU (Node 0): same for GOTG & SW, different for Aerosmith
  • Cabinet Node (Node 1): same for all
  • Playfield 48V Core-Driver Node (Nodes 8 & 9): same for all
  • Trough Serial Opto Receiver Ext. (Node 8a): same for all
  • Serial Motor Driver Board (Node 8e): same for GOTG & Aerosmith, not used in SW

Most of the game-specific node boards appear to be LED-related (Nodes 8b-x and 9a-x), presumably supporting the unique insert layout on each game that could not reasonably be made generic among games.

There then appear to be some other game-specific node boards, e.g. SW's "SPI Only Node" (520-6876-72). I cannot judge whether those could reasonably be made generic.

#113 2 years ago
Quoted from ibjeepin:

No it will get very expensive for the owners as warranty is only 90 days. A HUO may not see these issues for years. What other issues are lurking?

Fair point about the terms of the written warranty. But for what it’s worth, Stern has consistently been replacing these node boards outside the warranty period. I haven’t seen a report yet of someone that sought and was denied a node board replacement due to age of the machine.

1 month later
#225 2 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Trust me ...... they are not going to replace it down the road either way once out if warranty

Why should we trust you when in many cases Stern does replace components outside the brief written warranty period? Not to mention replacing parts that are expressly excluded from the written warranty (playfields, for example)? There's no guarantee of a replacement outside of warranty, of course, but there are tons of stories on Pinside about Stern providing precisely this kind of support.

1 year later
#262 1 year ago
Quoted from mijoyce44:

Well I had a node board fail on an Aerosmith a couple weeks ago. Got a replacement and now the trough board is malfunctioning. The worst part is Stern denied the claim per my distributor. The machine has been on sight for about 60 days. Its embarrassing having a machine down for 3 weeks and buying piece by piece trying to get this up and running again.

Might be worth going straight to Stern to complain. Assuming you bought this new 60 days ago I think you should still be able to get coverage. If it's a couple of years old now maybe less likely.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, NY
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside