lpc (resized).jpg
stern_regulator (resized).jpg
A26C2357-B432-41A1-8618-79D403D2F7ED (resized).jpeg
GOTG Node Boards (resized).JPG
SW Node Boards (resized).JPG
Aerosmith Node Boards (resized).JPG
IMG_5239 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 262 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
#201 6 years ago

Why not put some rubber grommets in the node board and screw it back on the playfield.
Or put some L shape brackets under the playfield to screw the node on.

#202 6 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

I used clear RTV on the transistors. Thanks for the advice. I didn’t like stressing the components to use a zip tie and spacer. Much easier as I didn’t have to pull the boards. Now all I have to do is get the capacitor kits

Isn't the RTV flexible? Isn't that what we dont want?

#203 6 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Hot glue is flexible too. A little bit of flex is fine, it should still support the diode miles better than nothing.

#204 6 years ago

I was able to install the spacer kit without much trouble on SW. I was worried about unplugging all the connectors, so I just unplugged a couple on each node board and installed the spacer while it was on the game. Really didn't stress the diode or transistors much and it worked after I did it

The cap kit was super easy to install, but you do need two caps per game. Apparently the first kits were put together with only one, the newer kits should have two caps in each kit according to Chas. I have a couple more kits being sent to me.

I'll be doing GB and AS tomorrow evening when the missing cap kits get here.

#205 6 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

It still dampens the vibrations considerably. Extremely common in motor controllers and other high vibration electronics.

One important thing though is make sure to buy the right one. Electronics silicone may not be the same as what you buy in a home improvement store.
Look for the stuff that says "Aquarium Safe", or "Corrosion Free", "Neutral Cure", "Non-Acidic" or something like that. The really cheap stuff could cause long-term issues. If it smells super strong out of the tube, that's the wrong stuff.

-Hans

#206 6 years ago

I bought a hot glue gun today. Looked like the best approach.

#207 6 years ago

I tried glue and had a hard time getting it to stick. Hopefully you have better luck

#208 6 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

I tried glue and had a hard time getting it to stick. Hopefully you have better luck

Maybe it depends on the glue you used ? For me it was about 15 seconds per board. They sell different kind of sticks so maybe that is something to look into.

#209 6 years ago

Yeah I put some glue and backed up a small zip tie. The RTV was not the recommended type so I removed it

#210 6 years ago

Got the kits. Putting the zip ties on would have been a disaster. I'm sure I would have ruined it in the process.

Hot glue worked perfectly. I highly reccomend.

Capacitor was plug and play, as described.

I'll do the other board tomorrow night.

#211 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Still a bitch but here is one installed

How do the bliue pins stay locked into the holes?

#212 6 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

How do the bliue pins stay locked into the holes?

Pressure....... if they are a tad loose put a drop of CA on the tip of the pin. Mine were tight enough.

#213 6 years ago

I installed the Stern zip tie spacer kits this weekend. I didn't have any problem installing it with the boards still in the machine. I did it with my playfield fully raised against the backbox so I needed a step stool to work on the node board closest to the outhole.

Just follow the instructions and be careful fishing the zip tie through the part holes and it works just fine. Once instally the parts are very secure. Not sure why some feel the need to do it differently?

#214 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Not sure why some feel the need to do it differently?

Because using hot glue or proper RTV is a superior method. Stern's method is meant to be cheap, easy and fast so anybody can do it, but it does stress the legs when tied together. Maybe not a huge deal, but RTV won't lock the components down while the legs are stressed.

#215 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Not sure why some feel the need to do it differently?

All of the tabs were slanted on mine. No way was I going to try and zip tie those things. The risk of breaking something was to great.

Hot glue put zero stress on the components, and that diode is question is bending nowhere now.

#216 6 years ago

Got my kit today.

EEC74348-FD9F-4551-B3E8-228C877C1D9F (resized).jpegEEC74348-FD9F-4551-B3E8-228C877C1D9F (resized).jpeg

#217 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Stern's method is meant to be cheap, easy and fast so anybody can do it, but it does stress the legs when tied together.

Maybe I'm missing something. How does does tieing them together with the zip tie put stress on the legs?

Once zip tied the two pieces feel very secure to one another. Seems unlikey they would move and cause stress on the legs?

If the the legs did fail on that part in the future I would ask Stern to replace it since it was a known documented issue they had. Would Stern still replace it in the future if I put a bunch of hot glue or RTV on it?

#218 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Maybe I'm missing something. How does does tieing them together with the zip tie put stress on the legs?
Once zip tied the two pieces feel very secure to one another. Seems unlikey they would move and cause stress on the legs?
If the the legs did fail on that part in the future I would ask Stern to replace it since it was a known documented issue they had. Would Stern still replace it in the future if I put a bunch of hot glue or RTV on it?

Trust me ...... they are not going to replace it down the road either way once out if warranty

#219 6 years ago

Because using hot glue or proper RTV is a superior method. Stern's method is meant to be cheap, easy and fast so anybody can do it, but it does stress the legs when tied together. Maybe not a huge deal, but RTV won't lock the components down while the legs are stressed.

Won't the glue or silicone make the components a pita to replace should one fail?
Those transistors are one of the few things possible to change, and maybe that's why Stern is using the ties and spacer.
I think I would prefer to have them secured with the recommended fix.

#220 6 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Won't the glue or silicone make the components a pita to replace should one fail?
Those transistors are one of the few things possible to change, and maybe that's why Stern is using the ties and spacer.

No, the glue or RTV can be easily removed if needed.

I'm not saying either method is wrong, of course if you want to use the official Stern method that is fine especially if you're concerned about warranty issues later down the road. Personally I would rather use hot glue or RTV to secure the diode to the adjacent component.

#221 6 years ago

Personally I would rather use hot glue or RTV to secure the diode to the adjacent component.

Fair enough, I thought the method was to goop stuff to the board and kind of encase the components in it.
just connecting the tabs would make more sense.
Any concerns about heat?

#222 6 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Fair enough, I thought the method was to goop stuff to the board and kind of encase the components in it.
just connecting the tabs would make more sense.
Any concerns about heat?

Nope

#223 6 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

The primary concern is to stop them failing in the first place. With no fuses, and no documentation of any of these boards, damage to other components is quite likely, and being able to repair the board very unlikely.

#224 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

The primary concern is to stop them failing in the first place. With no fuses, and no documentation of any of these boards, damage to other components is quite likely, and being able to repair the board very unlikely.

My GB had a board drop the 2 flipper transistors early on, I was able to replace them and have the game work while waiting on a replacement from Stern.

#225 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Trust me ...... they are not going to replace it down the road either way once out if warranty

Why should we trust you when in many cases Stern does replace components outside the brief written warranty period? Not to mention replacing parts that are expressly excluded from the written warranty (playfields, for example)? There's no guarantee of a replacement outside of warranty, of course, but there are tons of stories on Pinside about Stern providing precisely this kind of support.

#226 6 years ago

It’s called 20 plus years collecting games and being in the industry

Do what ya want. I know what I’m doing

You’ll be able to wipe your ass with that documentation.

#227 6 years ago

For people with more than one machine they requested parts for; did you receive all the kits at the same time? I have a Ghostbusters and Aerosmith, but only one kit arrived today.

#228 6 years ago

Finished 2nd Node board tonight on GB. Hot glue and added the capacitor. No issues. Game is running great!

#229 6 years ago

Finished installing the kits on my Ghostbusters Premium and Star Wars LE. It was a bit of a pain to install the zip tie and spacer fix. My Star Wars LE thankfully had the capicator fix already installed from the factory.

#230 6 years ago

Installed my capacitor kit as well and used industrial hot glue on the diodes. Feel better about the protection. Time to drop some balls!

#231 6 years ago

I got the kits yesterday for my SW and my dad's AS.

#232 6 years ago

Working on my GB and AS capacitor kit at the moment and the GB made sense as the were no existing capacitor installed.

Opened up my AS which I bought in June, and it appears to have a capacitor already installed at cn6 on both boards. Should I assume it came from factory already repaired or am I plugging the new capacitor into board and then plugging old capacitor into make end of the new one?

Thanks for help!

#233 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Working on my GB and AS capacitor kit at the moment and the GB made sense as the were no existing capacitor installed.
Opened up my AS which I bought in June, and it appears to have a capacitor already installed at cn6 on both boards. Should I assume it came from factory already repaired or am I plugging the new capacitor into board and then plugging old capacitor into make end of the new one?
Thanks for help!

Your Aerosmith has the fix already installed.

#234 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Your Aerosmith has the fix already installed.

Didn’t have the spacers though and what a bitch. Don’t know if it’s worth the hassle or not.

#235 6 years ago

I went to install the spacers and zip ties on my SW. I felt there was way too much torque when trying to tie the zip tie with the tight loop you needed to make. I decided to use hot glue to fuse the 2 diodes together. Seems very stable. If you got the zip ties to work without damaging the legs of the diode, good for you, but I hope hot glue gives this proper stability because I was too worried about causing the damage I was trying to prevent.

#236 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Didn’t have the spacers though and what a bitch. Don’t know if it’s worth the hassle or not.

I meant it already has the capacitor fix.

It’s annoying to get the spacers on, but I definitely recommend it.

#237 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Thanks for help!

I have just noticed on our SW that there are capacitors fitted at CN6 already, however the capacitor is connected to nothing. According to the pin diagram in the manual, pin 3 and 4 are listed as N/C (this means no connection). The capacitor service kit has the capacitor connected to different pins. I am putting the capacitor kit in. I have emailed Stern to make sure. I will post when I get a response.

#238 6 years ago

Just curious, has anyone posted a video on how to do this? I know Stern posted instructions but prefer to see it done in action.

1 month later
#239 6 years ago

The tie wraps they send you are to stiff. They put to much pressure on diode D9. Not recommend. The glue gun method is the way to go. Plus you don't know of the current condition of the legs of the D9 from the vibration before trying to put Stern's kit on. Doing so might just put it over the top.

#240 6 years ago

So you guys that have hot glued the diodes did you remove the node board to apply the glue or did you just leave it in place on the playfield while applying the hot glue? I'm a little nervous about installing the spacer and zip ties.

#241 6 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

So you guys that have hot glued the diodes did you remove the node board to apply the glue or did you just leave it in place on the playfield while applying the hot glue? I'm a little nervous about installing the spacer and zip ties.

I left my boards in.

#242 6 years ago

After muffing one install with the zip tie, I have now installed it on about 10 boards. Friends have asked me to help them. Expert now. It’s not bad, but you need to be aware of any pressure it’s putting on the diode and use both hands to position the zip tie correctly.

As for the muffed one, I replaced the broken diode and am perfect now.

I would not recommend you do this with the board inside the game. It’s easy to remove it.

#243 6 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

Removed the board.

1 month later
#244 6 years ago

What a pain in the a** installing the spacer and zip ties. I've caused more damage to the legs of the diodes by fiddling with the zip tie through it and making it wiggle. Feels completely loose now and ready to pop off the board.

#245 6 years ago
Quoted from Archon9000:

What a pain in the a** installing the spacer and zip ties. I've caused more damage to the legs of the diodes by fiddling with the zip tie through it and making it wiggle. Feels completely loose now and ready to pop off the board.

Use hot glue, and mentioned throughout this thread.

Zero stress on the diode.

#246 6 years ago
Quoted from Archon9000:

That sucks. I went to zip tie mine and decided it was too risky. I put a big glob of hot glue to bind the 2 diodes together. I hope this stabilizes it enough.

#247 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Use hot glue, and mentioned throughout this thread.
Zero stress on the diode.

I wish that I had read this thread before doing the work

#248 6 years ago
Quoted from Archon9000:

I wish that I had read this thread before doing the work

You might still want to do it....to save the diode from breaking. You mentioned it was worse now.

#249 6 years ago

Recieved my node stabilization kit for GB but therer's no D9 next to Q4 on my board

20180328_142848 (resized).jpg20180328_142848 (resized).jpg

20180328_143002 (resized).jpg20180328_143002 (resized).jpg

#250 6 years ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

Recieved my node stabilization kit for GB but therer's no D9 next to Q4 on my board

You do have a D9 but it looks like Stern changed it to a surface mount component? So no stabilization fix required.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Altoona, PA
Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 262 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/holy-node-board-batman-and-ghostbusters-and-aerosmith-and-star-wars/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.