2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by bhwolf
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/ele/5968271954.html

Been seeing an add on craigslist for a simpsons pinball party. 3500 dollars and says hardly used. Problem was there is no contact info. Now a month later he finally updates the ad and gives an email. Too late... he said someone is coming to pick it up today.

Now the question is do i tell him what the machine is worth (4500) and not let him get ripped off or do i let the person buying it get a deal (and prob end up flipping the same game for an easy 1000 dollars)

#2 2 years ago

Why would you be a dick?

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Why would you be a dick?

Exactly. Just stay out of it IMO.

#4 2 years ago

Well i go back in forth in my head because the guys selling it prob has no idea what its worth and shouldnt get ripped off by some guy on craigslist offering him 3300 to pick it up today.

Same time good deal for whoever buys it and hopefully they enjoy playing it and arent just going to flip it for profit

#5 2 years ago

Ya i didnt say anything to him. Mostly just wanted your opinions and see what everyone else would do

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Why would you be a dick?

Because it is the pinside way??? Apparently everyone despises people who flip machines but in all honesty once they buy it it is theirs and they can do what they want with it. Pinsiders always seem to want to help a seller out and let them know that they are being ripped off too. However, the reason I have never sold a machine in pinside is because everyone is super picky and low balls your price. I love talking tech and getting tips and pointers from many of the much more knowledgeable than myself pinsiders. I haveearned a ton on this site but most have a very skewed view of the market and business practices in general

Sorry for the rant.

Honestly to the op the right thing to do is just let it go. That is a new Machine and the seller is probably comfortable with that price and knew what they were listing it for when they listed it

#7 2 years ago

If it is legit, it will have already gone - 14 hours ago the ad went up.

#8 2 years ago

3500 for TSPP isn't that awesome of a deal. I've seen plenty for $3100-3500. Why ruin a little savings for someone else. Would you want someone else to do that to you? We are suppose to help one another. not be a bunch of greedy sore cocksmokers.

#9 2 years ago

If a seller asks for less than it's probably worth, whose fault is that? I'd never call that "getting ripped off."

#10 2 years ago

there's already enough craigslist pinball police who get a seller to bait & switch

but generally if it's too good to be true .... it probably is.

#11 2 years ago

Haha i knew i was going to earn downvotes from posting this. just wanted to see everyones opinion.

Im prob wrong on this and i wouldnt want someone doing it to me if i found a deal.

#12 2 years ago

The price isn't insanely cheap, especially if it was routed, even though the pics don't show the usual flipper button wear. May have some issues even though it's "hardly used".

#13 2 years ago

Its not even that great of a deal...

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Idk i thought it was. Granted everything works and it was as the guy said "hardley used" it soumd like a good deal to me. Plus it says make me an offer.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

It's a good game but you see a lot for sale. I don't think I'd give $4500 for one. Actually I know I wouldn't.

#16 2 years ago

pass on this one. I'm so glad I don't do the CL hunt anymore.

#17 2 years ago

Wow maybe im wrong with the price but a routed one gets 4000 around here.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Haha i knew i was going to earn downvotes from posting this. just wanted to see everyones opinion.
    Im prob wrong on this and i wouldnt want someone doing it to me if i found a deal.

You just answered your own question. Good answer too!

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Been seeing an add on craigslist for a simpsons pinball party. 3500 dollars and says hardly used. Problem was there is no contact info. Now a month later he finally updates the ad and gives an email. Too late... he said someone is coming to pick it up today.
    Now the question is do i tell him what the machine is worth (4500) and not let him get ripped off or do i let the person buying it get a deal (and prob end up flipping the same game for an easy 1000 dollars)

The selleris getting back what he paid NIB and as for the buyer not every one is looking for a quick flip.I bought a Craigslist TSPP in 2013 for $3500 with only 350 plays I still own the game.

#20 2 years ago

Not that down votes mean anything but isnt it funny that all the people who downvote never respond with anything and the people who actually responded dont downvote lol

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

The selleris getting back what he paid NIB and as for the buyer not every one is looking for a quick flip.I bought a Craigslist TSPP in 2013 for $3500 with only 350 plays I still own the game.

See, and that's my thoughts. No one knows what the seller's thoughts are and no one knows what the buyer's intentions are.

So why the F even get involved.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

So why the F even get involved.

I didnt get involved. Never said anything to him. Just asked a question that people dont like thats all

It was one of those initial thought that most people would have but not act on thats all

#23 2 years ago

When you contacted the seller, if the machine was available, were you going to offer him what he asked or tell him it was under priced and offer 1,000 over?

#24 2 years ago

I downvoted you and I'll respond. Just stay out of it.
    You're not the craigslist rip off police and they probably paid what they're asking. You came on pinside starting a thread with the sirens blaring.
    It's always the sellers responsibility to research whatever it is they're selling.

#25 2 years ago

If seller put it up for $300 I'd contact them because they are clueless.

At $3500 it's priced fairly and unless I'm buying it no reason to contact them.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Not that down votes mean anything but isnt it funny that all the people who downvote never respond with anything and the people who actually responded dont downvote lol

Did you consider that a downvote ( or upvote) is a response to say they agree or disagree and those that respond with a post just put words to why they agree or disagree ?

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

...do i tell him what the machine is worth (4500) and not let him get ripped off...

Losing $1000 is a hardship to many people. Just as I would return a wallet with money in it, I will also try and help people who obviously are uninformed by offering good advice.

I don't think the deal you found qualifies but I agree with your basic idea. You're trying to help someone and the world needs more of that.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinworthy:

Did you consider that a downvote ( or upvote) is a response to say the agree or disagree and those that respond with a post just put words to why they agree or disagree ?

I know that. Just wanted to hear some responses.

Im new to pinside and pinball collecting and was just trying to ask a simple question. Not trying to be the craigslist police or anything. People get so worked up on pinside and act like i did something wrong. I though no question was a stupid one.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Losing $1000 is a hardship to many people. Just as I would return a wallet with money in it, I will also try and help people who obviously are uninformed by offering good advice.
    I don't think the deal you found qualifies but I agree with your basic idea. You're trying to help someone and the world needs more of that.

Ya maybe he was selling it because he needed the money but didnt know what it was worth. Thats why i came on here to get the best advice before i did anything wrong. Just trying to do the right thing in my mind. It obviously pisses people off though.

#30 2 years ago

Changed title to "craigslist question" since i was told its not a deal.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Changed title to "craigslist question" since i was told its not a deal.

Much better. Too many, including myself, took for granted you wanted to get involved. My responses were with that in mind.

Sorry.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Im new to pinside and pinball collecting and was just trying to ask a simple question. Not trying to be the craigslist police or anything. People get so worked up on pinside and act like i did something wrong. I though no question was a stupid one.

Explains why you think a mystery TSSP is automatically a $4500 game.

#33 2 years ago

Words of wisdom...

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

Explains why you think a mystery TSSP is automatically a $4500 game.

I just looked at the pinside value thats all. It said 4500. My bad.

#35 2 years ago

And yet this one sits 10 min. away from me. http://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/42626928

I get why you might think a $3500 Simpsons is some kind of screaming deal if you've only started collecting in the last year or two, but it's really not. A buddy who just started collecting picked up his for $3200.

So yeah, as it's already been said don't crap on "deals" (this one wasn't) and don't invent prices in YOUR head based on one source of information. Shop around some and don't rely on one source for pin prices.

#36 2 years ago

Would you be just as happy if you were the buyer and the seller said "someone called and told me it's worth a lot more" then you have to turn around and go home because of some nosy person in CL? Honestly it sounds more like butthurt that you didn't get the pin. You are trying to justify white-knighting like you're helping the seller but I bet you weren't going to say anything if you got the call to pick it up.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

It's always the sellers responsibility to research whatever it is they're selling.

This.

#38 2 years ago

I'm with most other Pinsiders. It's his problem, better luck next time.

#39 2 years ago

Craigslist is the wild west. If you feel the seller is ignorant and will get taken advantage of by the local flipper patrol then feel free to reach out to them.

Reality is that there are probably 3 guys in every single major city with RSS feeds set up and they make a business out of screwing over iggnorant non-pinheads. For instance in our area there is this one guy Dustin from up in Appleton area, the scammer from rock island, and of course good ole Don in Verona, plus some guys in Rockford. These are the guys that also constantly run WTB ads on regional clist everywhere in a 500 mile radius.

I say screw these guys. I have warned sellers on clist before if i think they have put up something well below market value. Nothing wrong with being a decent person and letting them know that they should do their research before dealing with certain individuals or if they are way under priced. 99% of the time on clist you wont be screwing a fellow collector. You will be messing with the flippers that drive up your local scene.

When you are around long enough you will learn the patterns of these flippers. Some of them honestly have wrap sheets a mile long and is is worth warning an unsuspecting owner whom they may be dealing with. I know our local clist has had adverts against these guys on more than one ocassion from someone that got screwed over by them or had a bad experience on the buying end of a flip.

#40 2 years ago

^^^^^
    Ya that was pretty much what i was figureing happens and didnt know if i should tell him. Thanks for the response!

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

See but being new. You are too new to be quoting things and giving people the wrong idea. If you go an tell this guy he's under, when he's actually over, now he thinks he's sitting on gold and you have a bunch more overpriced machines sitting out there. When you are new, it's better to sit, analyze the market, and not say anything to anyone. Take your time and learn prices and going rates of things for a couple of years. Just because you see a couple things sell for more than usual, doesn't make it the normal price, and if you see a couple sell for way under, doesn't make it normal. You have to be around for couple of years to really understand this market. Regions are completely different as well. Everyone thinks our games are dirt cheap, but they don't want to drive here to get them and shipping sometimes makes a cheap game, not so cheap.

#42 2 years ago

Awesome awesome advice. Prob the best post here. All the other stuff calling me a dick if i said something didnt teach me anything. I got destroyed with downvotes just asking a question. Like i said im new to pinball and only bought my first machine 6 months ago. I used pinside as a guide for priceing so i though the game was a steal. Guess i was wrong about that

I also learned that the seller should do his homework before selling and its not the buyers fault for getting a deal. I was going to help the buyer(in my mind) by letting him know but im glad i didnt say anything.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

See but being new. You are too new to be quoting things and giving people the wrong idea. If you go an tell this guy he's under, when he's actually over, now he thinks he's sitting on gold and you have a bunch more overpriced machines sitting out there. When you are new, it's better to sit, analyze the market, and not say anything to anyone. Take your time and learn prices and going rates of things for a couple of years. Just because you see a couple things sell for more than usual, doesn't make it the normal price, and if you see a couple sell for way under, doesn't make it normal. You have to be around for couple of years to really understand this market. Regions are completely different as well. Everyone thinks our games are dirt cheap, but they don't want to drive here to get them and shipping sometimes makes a cheap game, not so cheap.

#43 2 years ago

I once heard some very wise advice about this exact situation.

Any time a buyer gets their asking price they will be happy. If an old lady lists an Addams Family for $350 and it sells for that price, she will be happy. Yeah, she'd be even happier (and surprised) with 5 grand, but I digress. What you don't know can't kill you. Personally in a situation like that, if the deal was TOO good, I would throw a few more hundred dollars on top if I was wealthy after it is loaded in your car or whatever. If the deal was only amazingly underpriced, I would just jump on it myself, but no, I wouldn't meddle in the business of letting the seller know or offering more if I knew other people were coming. If I didn't know, maybe, if he could hold. Then you're just paying him more for the service of holding it anyways.

#44 2 years ago

"There is always another pinball opportunity around the next corner."
    - TBK

People don't moderate the used market, only educate when appropriate, if they really understand their regional pricelines.

This is not one of those times or sale locations methods.

There was also no means in this case to evaluate quality to equity of any offered price on another example of a CL "auction" which people need to stay away from being involved.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

So if you made contact first before the other buyer, would you have bought it for 3500 (assuming condition is good) or offered 4500?

I'd stay out of it. You don't really know the condition or situation, and owners should, like buyers, always do due diligence. Hire someone or research the value.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 32.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 2,000.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 109.99
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Meph's Mods
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    € 197.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside