CPU_wrong_001.jpg
CPU_wrong_003.jpg
0ed588560508a90ac12405b838c8209559d63350.jpg
holo_zero_003.jpg
holo_zero_004.jpg
holo_zero_004.jpg
holo_zero_003.jpg
holo_zero_001.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thewool.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#954 5 years ago

This is a great idea and a decent replacement for the hologram!

I have a repro-hologram, but in some ways I think I prefer this to the LCD option (when it arrives). I've played MikeD's mod, I know you can add more stuff to that mod but who really looks at it after a while?

You really only need the Creature as it was designed, this idea is more 'stock' and the image appears more vivid when lit than a digital image - so more akin to the original hologram except it doesn;'t move. As you guys know, when you qualify a FILM letter the creech only flashes. Then during multi ball you don't really get the chance to marvel at it anyway.

Keep going!!

7 months later
#1219 4 years ago

This looks great and I'm tempted to replace my new holo

I do agree with comments to keep the animations 'pure'. I think the insert bubbles over the underwater background looks a bit odd, just to have an animated underwater background will look really cool - until an event happens to trigger a specific animation.

2 weeks later
#1245 4 years ago

Great progress, bigger screen for me!

Not sure if this has already been asked... but is it possible to have the option of the original moving hologram as an animation? More just as a preservation thing than anything else. Thanks.

#1247 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

If someone has or can make a quality recording of the original hologram in operation, I can create the video for the kit. I have this video, but it doesn't have much quality.

Thanks that's good to hear!

I wonder if we just need someone with a good quality hologram, even if it was blue it could hopefully be colour corrected in the editing software.

***Paging someone with a good quality original hologram!!!***

#1250 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I have a brand new, still in the original WMS package NOS hologram but do not know how I would photograph it / make a video for this purpose

Mmmm.... one way would be to install it in a game, remove the small plastic window and rig a camera up from the player's angle. Then put it in test and record. It would be a lot of prep. but mean it's captured forever.

I have the new hologram and while it's very cool, the model used isn't the same quality as the original.

Wasn't the original holo animation included with MikeD's mod?

#1253 4 years ago

Is it of a good quality? Maybe Mike would be kind and willing to share the source of this video??

1 week later
#1288 4 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Hi, i really like this project, but have a concern. The original hologram is placed in an angle so it creates and effect that you look into the deep of the black lagoon. The pictures above show the screen is directly under the window and flat. Will the effect of depth will be present? Are the video's slightly tilted so it looks like the screen is in an angle? Or is there an option to get the screen in an angle?

If you look at the bracket the screen will be parallel to the playfield window, so not angled away. This is a trade off in my eyes, but don't forget the hologram was 3D so benefited from this angled effect and it also needed to be lit (the whole thing was/is really effective). I'm not sure it would make any difference to have a 2D screen tilted down. Also you can capture some depth effects in the videos to give the illusion of 3D.

In my opinion a good quality hologram (original or repro) is still the best vanilla option. But the way this is shaping up it looks very cool indeed and gives owners a choice... For those with a black hologram, this is a game-changer.

2 weeks later
#1350 4 years ago

Hola pinballsp!

just an experiment... please can you tell me what you think to the quality of this video which uses the original hologram? Is it something that can be used by the editor to produce an authentic video as an option?

https://vimeo.com/364332405

Amazing work by the way, I love this mod

Kris

edit: video quality is slightly compressed from original source, colour also not accurate

#1362 4 years ago
Quoted from Raaalph:

Let’s see how fast you get the game logic into your mod. Hopefully not as slow as color for your DMDs. 2 years Now is way too long and still no solution.
For now I see only 1 row you are checking, that’s a pretty simple thing to do, even with very little to almost no knowledge.
How are you going to handle power surge from the game? It definitely will draw too much from those old wires, trust me or leave it. I know you tend to ignore tips from outside as you consider yourself all knowing.

Wow, someone got out of out bed on the wrong side...

#1378 4 years ago

Sorry to be a pest but please consider adding one for "multiball restart". I would say it's my favorite restart in any game and such a sweet shot to hit the scoop during the count down. Thanks for at least considering it.

#1399 4 years ago

Looks great!! Honestly I dont think you need the word Cola. It's pretty self explanatory.

3 months later
#1750 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Improvements and changes in the Snack Bar video:
1.- Now the 3 spotlights move independently
2.- The city is modified so that it looks better on the sides
3.- The color of the sky becomes clearer so that the mask can be seen better on the screen.
4.- The speed of the song is increased to 1.07x (Average of # 1 and # 2)
5.- The color of the text "Open" is changed to neon pink
6.- The shape of the 3 spotlights changed to conic
7.- Preparing a 2-minute version to also use the background video with the Snack Bar Open signal active
8.- The colors of the MEGA MENU are changed
9.- Fireworks effects with sound are added
10.- Sky clouds double

As for the firmware, today I was doing quite a few checks.
1.- Programmed and tested reading and writing on the SD card with the configuration file. If an SD card without a file is inserted, one will be created automatically with default values ​​that the user can edit and modify. The card is also automatically formatted to FAT if it is not formatted.
2.- Serial communications checked between the HolomodSP board and the Raspberry, everything works perfectly.
Tomorrow I want to finish programming all the triggers of the available videos, it is possible that it also includes that of the Snack Bar, although this one is more difficult to program than the others.

There are some more changes that I have told the designer to make:
1.- Visually invert the city horizontally, so that the tall building can be seen on the right (where it will look better), and the smallest on the left.
2.- Give curvature to the city in the background. The Snack Bar, such as asphalt, sidewalk and bushes have a certain degree of curvature, as if taken with a fisheye lens, while the background city looks very straight.
3.- Change the colors of the MEGA MENU again, now they look too light and before too dark, look for a medium term of clarity and contrast.
4.- Improve the neon effect of the OPEN text.
I think that with these small changes and the additional video with a duration of 2 minutes for background, we can end this video and start designing the next one (Jackpot or Superjackpot)

Looks great! You should have gone for a UFO rather than the jet aircraft. This was the 50s and UFO would match the speaker panel.

1 month later
#1805 4 years ago

Family + Health > Pinball... Take care of you and yours brother

3 weeks later
#1819 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

The final version of the Jackpot video. A few more special effects were added, and the video-audio sync was adjusted. White reflections of light have been added to the letters of the Jackpot text, the number of text turns has been increased to two and the launch of a second round of confetti. New sounds, some chimes with the turning of the reels, shooting sound for confetti bursts and a siren is heard when the Jackpot text comes out.
And we have already concluded this video, and we started working with the next one on the list, which will be the "Super Jackpot", video number 13 of the 24 planned.
As for the material to assemble the kits, today I contacted the supplier so that he would send me, again, the power cables for the main board of the kit, since the ones he sent me were badly assembled. I took the opportunity to order more connectors from some references to avoid running out of material in the first two manufacturing batches. With this I will already have all the material, I will only need to order the acrylic supports to mount the screen, but this is fast, in about 7-10 days I will receive them.

Just going to be flatout honest and say this isn't for me. It doesn't integrate into the theme of the game or the era at all. It's far too modern and glitzy.

That said, it is great to see you making progress again and I hope you and your loved ones are all fit and well.

3 weeks later
#1852 3 years ago

Better - much better!! I like the way you take positive feedback.

2 weeks later
#1907 3 years ago

#1 for my $0.02

3 weeks later
#1967 3 years ago

Would much rather have a working green hologram rather than this mod. The LCD and fancy animations do not jive well with the theme in my opinion. But it's a good option for people who have nothing.

edit: further explanation... I kept my game at stock in terms of lighting as dull/warm fits the game like a glove. Chuck a bright LCD in that with multiple animations/triggers and things start to get messy

2 months later
#2166 3 years ago

Looking great thanks for sharing!

2 months later
#2423 3 years ago

I think this point is well made Russ over the past weeks/months. If this mod is released, people are well warned about what they are getting into. It just gets tired reading it over and over.

For example, I commented that the mod looked cool, and had a random bloke messaging me bitching about why i should not buy it. Maybe he just cared but he came off as a tad obsessive.

5 months later
#2743 2 years ago

Looking forward to hearing an honest review. The torches and pitchforks get tired after a while.

#2755 2 years ago

If there is a heaven your brother in law will be shooting his Creech with a beautiful NOS vivid green hologram. My condolences for your loss.

3 weeks later
#2826 2 years ago

Russdx I love what you have done for the pin community. But I thought you had drained this thread and moved on? You need to do that man...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 24.00
$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thewool.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hologram-mod-for-creature-from-pinballsp-is-under-development?tu=thewool and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.