CPU_wrong_001.jpg
CPU_wrong_003.jpg
0ed588560508a90ac12405b838c8209559d63350.jpg
holo_zero_003.jpg
holo_zero_004.jpg
holo_zero_004.jpg
holo_zero_003.jpg
holo_zero_001.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballmiked.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#632 5 years ago

Please get this done, so I’ll stop getting emails about hologram MODs

FYI - I direct everyone your way. Nobody is rooting for you more than me...... now hurry up

#636 5 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

30 more days then I say you jump back in MikeD. I'm only getting older and less patient. Need to make my CFTBL perty.

No mas!

2 months later
#699 5 years ago
Quoted from DK:

He doesn't realize what a gold mine this will be when he finishes this.

I think not, but how would I know

If it was all about the money, he’d be better off making LED eyed action figurines for - fill in the blank.

Technical MODs are cool, but they are very time consuming to make and support. Plus, no matter what he comes up with there will be a vocal minority that isn’t satisfied with the product.

I think people should be happy someone is putting in the effort to develope a solution. Trust me he won’t get rich making these; if that were case someone else would have never stopped producing them.

Best of luck PinballSP. My only advise is this - stop posting until it’s done. In my experience I found it started to have a negative impact.

#701 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It's funny, Luis has another pinsider in another thread saying the exact opposite - "lets see
More details and video!" Damned if you do, damned if you don't! Lol

I’d post something showing the MOD in action when it’s done. The more he posts while in development the more people, typically the ones that won’t purchase anything anyway, will demand more elaborate features/functions etc. I found it to be counter productive to post updates when I was in this game.

I got all sorts of emails asking for this and that and once it was all said and done the majority of the petitioners never purchase a MOD anyway.

1 week later
#706 5 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I laughed my ass off when I saw this. I'm currently working on a project that I hope to bring to market in a month or so. I had a very good idea from the start what the profit would be when its said and done (and I still chose to do it ). For most its about the hobby not the $$$$ ,

Agreed. I just get a kick out of all the posts from guys saying this MOD will put PinballSP’s grandchildren through college

1 week later
#729 5 years ago

Have you thought about putting the monitor/TV on the cabinet floor? The design is easier and you won't be adding weight to the bottom of the playfield. I looked at putting the screen on the bottom of the playfield originally as well, but it was cumbersome and a pain to install.

Regarding shipping, I was able to package everything in a 10x10x10 inch box, weighted about 8lbs in total. That of course didn't include the TV, but I found most people wanted to buy their own monitors.

Just my 2 cents, carry on.

3 weeks later
#799 5 years ago

Man I sure am glad I quit making these.

1 month later
#880 5 years ago

Every once in a while, when I’ve had a couple beers and I’m feel good, I think about making some more Creech mods. Then I come to this thread and sober up quickly

#888 5 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

I already have MikeD's mod, but I'll send him some good homebrew for you guys.

What type of craft beers do you brew?

#891 5 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

All kinds, I have a Czech Amber Lager on tap now and Sierra Nevada’s Resilience IPA in the fermentation fridge right now. What your flavor preference?

My favorite beer is Franziskaner, but any type of Hefeweizen will do

#895 5 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Paulaner is also nice !

You guys know your beer over there

#898 5 years ago
Quoted from Pbpins:

How much beer would it take for Mike to come out of retirement and make run of new mods?

More than I can drink.

5 months later
#1004 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

C'mon, Robert. That is really bad form posting your product on another man's thread showing the development (although really long gestating) of his product. Simply put, how would you like guys posting on your "Let Me Powdercoat Your Game" thread showing their work and offering their services?
Just start a new thread. Trust me. People will find it quickly.

Yeah, it’s not like the OP would post developmental pictures of his product in someone else’s thread.

I guess all is fair in the brutal cutthroat world of creature hologram modding

2 weeks later
#1027 4 years ago

No, the sides of the TV monitor were not visible on mine (what you see in that picture is the black paper shroud mounted on the bottom of the playfield). I used a 17” TV monitor for exactly that reason, which is why I mounted the TV to the cabinet floor. The bottom of the playfield is pretty congested, so you have to use a much smaller screen if you want to mount the screen to the playfield.

Personally, I never liked the viewing angle (with the smaller screen) or the idea of the extra weight on the bottom of the playfield.

By putting the screen on the cabinet floor, I was able to better emulate the original hologram.

2 months later
1 month later
#1394 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Thanks for the info.
Yes, it could happen that the triggering of some videos comes into conflict because signals are given at the same time to trigger several of them, and the program must have a priority programmed to work correctly.
Although doing so only with the state of the lamps further complicates matters, the state of the switches can help a lot to really determine which video should be triggered when the lamps come into conflict by triggering several videos at the same time according to their status.

We looked at utilizing switch triggers. The problem was that the RPi couldn’t scan it’s GPIO fast enough to register switch hits repeatably. FYI - we were scanning at 2 to 3 milliseconds. Maybe the newest RPi can run at a faster scan rate?

Regardless of what you use to trigger the videos, CFTBL supports mode stacking. If you don’t have a priority list for your videos, the screen will be flipping back-and-forth between videos constantly when a good player is on the machine. Even a one second delay will be very distracting. This is why we slowed the MOD down to improve the overall experience during gameplay.

I’d highly recommend you work on the code and see how the MOD functions during gameplay before you make any more videos. You may find yourself running into many of the same situations we did and you will have to compromise accordingly.

With that said, your artwork looks fantastic.

10 months later
#2075 3 years ago

I think he'll finish it; he just isn't worried about anybody else's timetable.

What will be more interesting, is to see how many people actually buy one once it's available.

#2088 3 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

So, the reason I bowed out is - life happens - and other expenses come up, and I'm not comfortable holding money in place for something that may or may not ever happen, given we are going into - what....year 3 of waiting?
I genuinely don't mind waiting, but everyone has a limit, and I am more interested in moving my money to paying a bill faster.
Not that I had to explain myself, but in this circumstance, I felt it was more warranted. All the delays normally add up to a higher price than originally intended as well. Historically, when have delays lead to lower prices?

My comment was directed at any specific person.

FYI - I quit making these when the demand dwindled drastically after my 3rd production run. I had a lot of interest on the forum, but when it came time to purchase..... well that was a different story.

#2089 3 years ago

And before anyone posts or PMs me...

NO, I’m not making any more of these.

#2111 3 years ago

Nobody should be spouting off about the purity of pinball, especially when the examples given are of others that have no issue stealing their competitor's IP - what a joke.

If you don't think PinballSP will finish the MOD, fine - blast away. He's opened himself up to the criticism by posting here on PinSide; that's part of what happens when you transition from a "hobbyist" to a "hobby vendor." The part I find so humorous, while following this thread, is that most of the whiners in here have zero interest in the actual MOD; they just like hearing themselves type.

At least this guy is generating his own artwork (financing it on his own dime) and developing a unique design/solution for the application. Will he ever finish it? Who the hell knows, but at least he's having fun tinkering with a pinball project. If anything, the thread is throughly entertaining to follow

#2148 3 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

As others have said that was a bit harsh

Wow, I’m getting excited now.

2 weeks later
#2171 3 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

It does look cool, but no one playing pinball wants to watch a 23 second long video.

The mod is as much for bystanders (maybe more) as it is for players. I always got a kick out of people’s reactions when they played my CFTBL.

With that said, I ultimately ended up keeping my mod in hologram mode (less videos), just enjoyed the game play more.

2 months later
#2332 3 years ago

I'll be listing a CFTBL for sale next week. The game includeds an NOS hologram as well as the PMD MOD (uninstalled). I bought the hologram to make the creature video for the "Hologram" Mode option on the MOD. After shooting the video, I boxed the hologram back up. Just installed it in the machine to sell it.

1 week later
#2389 3 years ago

My MOD intercepts signals from the lamp matrix. Using the audio board would have been a better approach, just didn’t think to do that. Keep in mind the MOD was originally intended to just replace the hologram, which is why I started with the lamp matrix. The hardware was 90% designed before we expanded the video capacity.

We tested the switches, but found the RPi to read them inconsistently. However, we built the MOD with gen one boards.

#2398 3 years ago

Well, so ends the PMD CFTBL MOD..... RIP.

1 month later
#2550 3 years ago

Congrats on getting it completed, looks great.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 27.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 45.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 24.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballmiked.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hologram-mod-for-creature-from-pinballsp-is-under-development?tu=pinballmiked and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.