CPU_wrong_001.jpg
CPU_wrong_003.jpg
0ed588560508a90ac12405b838c8209559d63350.jpg
holo_zero_003.jpg
holo_zero_004.jpg
holo_zero_004.jpg
holo_zero_003.jpg
holo_zero_001.jpg
There are 3,082 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 62.
#1851 3 years ago

Might I suggest it's also possible to put in the effort on the RPi and operating system side to only ever mount the SD card read-only, which would also allow for worry-free power-downs of the RPi? Without that, well, it's not a great idea to sell a thing to that many people that *is* going to get power cycled a LOT and *is* going to corrupt file systems ultimately (rendering the mod a brick until one re-images the SD card and likely making the game look like crap at the worst possible time).

Well, that's assuming the RPi is running Linux. I know it can be done with Linux. I don't know about other operating systems.

--Donnie

#1852 3 years ago

Better - much better!! I like the way you take positive feedback.

#1853 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

The Super Jackpot animation is great and nicely tied to the game - well done!!

Agreed

#1854 3 years ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

Might I suggest it's also possible to put in the effort on the RPi and operating system side to only ever mount the SD card read-only, which would also allow for worry-free power-downs of the RPi? Without that, well, it's not a great idea to sell a thing to that many people that *is* going to get power cycled a LOT and *is* going to corrupt file systems ultimately (rendering the mod a brick until one re-images the SD card and likely making the game look like crap at the worst possible time).
Well, that's assuming the RPi is running Linux. I know it can be done with Linux. I don't know about other operating systems.
--Donnie

Ok, thanks for the information, I did not know that something like this was possible with Raspeberry (yes, running Linux).

I have been looking for Google and it is indeed possible to configure the Raspberry in read-only mode in the SD, I will have to test it to see that it does not affect the operation of the program and the GPU. Especially that no lag is added in the triggering of the videos.

The other solution is the one I offer, this other one by hardware, with an external power supply connected to the pinball service plug in the filter box, which powers the Holomodsp processor and the Raspberry. The Holomodsp processor checks the 5v voltage of the pinball and when this is missing it orders a controlled shutdown of Raspberry and is restarted when the 5v of the pinball appears again. The screen is powered by the 12v of the pinball, so it turns off immediately when you turn off the pinball.

This external power supply could also power other mods of the machine.

#1855 3 years ago

Read only file system is how most embedded Linux systems operate, they basically run in ram only touching disk (ie SD card) to save settings etc... very infrequently. If anything it will run faster as ram is far faster then reading from a SD card. Adafruit got a script that does all the work for you, you just install it. Just remember no files can write back to the SD card so don’t do it until it’s production ready.

Iv had pies running for years using this method being power cycled daily.

A lot of ppl won’t turn there machines off via the game switch but the games will all be powered by a wall switch or something so can’t really rely on game being powered 24/7

#1856 3 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

A lot of ppl won’t turn there machines off via the game switch but the games will all be powered by a wall switch or something so can’t really rely on game being powered 24/7

If you can't do a read-only filesystem for some reason, the best way around the problem above is actually a DC "UPS." There are some RPi specific ones. Basically just puts a battery between your power supply and the RPi. Keeps the battery charged when you have power, triggers the RPi when you lose it to shutdown cleanly.

Unless I'm missing something, Pinballsp's "hardware" solution will require you to run a separate power plug out of the machine (meaning it'll have two plugs) and as you say, the RPi's power plug has to be put on constant power. Bleck.

--Donnie

#1857 3 years ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

Unless I'm missing something, Pinballsp's "hardware" solution will require you to run a separate power plug out of the machine (meaning it'll have two plugs) and as you say, the RPi's power plug has to be put on constant power. Bleck.
--Donnie

The pinball filter box has a service outlet available before the main power switch. It is enough to connect the external power supply there for all the controlled shutdown system to work.

However if the read-only SD card configuration works well, it's a better solution, unless someone wants to use the external power supply to power other mods as well and not overload the pinball power supply.

WPC89_filter_box.jpgWPC89_filter_box.jpg
#1858 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

The pinball filter box has a service outlet available before the main power switch. It is enough to connect the external power supply there for all the controlled shutdown system to work.

[quoted image]

Only the domestic US market games have services outlets (the socket is only officially rated for 120V). Foreign games have a grommet to seal the hole and no internal wiring for the service outlet. Also the service outlet is always live regardless of whether the game is turn on or not, you can of course rewire the socket to only be powered when the game is on but not everyone will be comfortable in doing this change.

#1859 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Only the domestic US market games have services outlets (the socket is only officially rated for 120V). Foreign games have a grommet to seal the hole and no internal wiring for the service outlet. Also the service outlet is always live regardless of whether the game is turn on or not, you can of course rewire the socket to only be powered when the game is on but not everyone will be comfortable in doing this change.

He wants a socket with constant power. His plan is to have his stuff powered by constant power and it will sense when the game power is shut off and then signal the RPi to do a clean shutdown. So his stuff turns off, too, it just does so a few seconds after the main game. As has been pointed out, this won't work for people who use outlet strips or other remote means to kill the power to their games. And as you point out, it won't work in ROW games.

The best solution really is to finalize the software and then re-code the boot image to load to a ramdisk. That way the end user never has to worry about corrupt filesystems. It makes updates a little more tricky, but the easy button there is to just distribute entire SD images. Not sure how he'll do copy protection or licensing control since the license would need to be stored somewhere, but that's not *my* problem. There are ways to work around these things, but it all complicates it a tad more.

--Donnie

#1860 3 years ago

Usually you have the whole system boot read only but can have a read write partition for saving firmware / settings occasionally. I can’t quite see why this mod would need to save anything though? Unless your configuring it and that looks to be done in some config file on the SD card.

Should be easy as installing the Adafruit read only script as is really does take care of everything for you. You can then power cycle the pi as much as you want and it will never corrupt the SD card.

You can’t rely on a game having constant power.

#1861 3 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

Usually you have the whole system boot read only but can have a read write partition for saving firmware / settings occasionally. I can’t quite see why this mod would need to save anything though? Unless your configuring it and that looks to be done in some config file on the SD card.
Should be easy as installing the Adafruit read only script as is really does take care of everything for you. You can then power cycle the pi as much as you want and it will never corrupt the SD card.
You can’t rely on a game having constant power.

Yes the configuration (settings) file will need to be R/W so you can select which videos you want played but also the OP is allowing people to add their own videos so need to be able to add those, whether that needs to be in the same directory as the provided videos I'm not sure.

#1862 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Yes the configuration (settings) file will need to be R/W so you can select which videos you want played but also the OP is allowing people to add their own videos so need to be able to add those, whether that needs to be in the same directory as the provided videos I'm not sure.

The way to solve this is that you simply have to remove the SD card, put it in a computer, and change the configuration there (and obviously you'd have to do this to add video files anyway). But when it *boots* it still boots read-only.

It's also possible he could have controls on his system that allow for read-write remounting to make changes using his own buttons and on-screen config and then it saves that and goes back to read-only when done. I haven't followed along closely enough to know if he has on-screen controls for configuration or not. Honestly I'm still in the "this is never gonna happen" camp, but I'm trying to help in case it does. *shrug*

--Donnie

#1863 3 years ago

Advances in the video of the Super Jackpot. There are still things to do, add music, extend the video to 11 seconds, improve the effects of light rays, add bubbles to the second diver, add the harpoon shot to the left diver, etc ...

#1864 3 years ago

12 seconds is an Eternity for an animation to play, based on how often videos will get triggered it seems anything more than the first 3 seconds won’t be seen

#1865 3 years ago

The pi has a boot drive you can edit on any system where people usually stick files they want people to configure as it can be accessed via windows / Mac etc..

But if you did want to config via the machine it self you can very easily remount in read write make your changes then remount read only again once done it’s just a one liner. Or just have a separate partition for saving stuff. Loads of ways of doing this but does take some research.

#1866 3 years ago

I think all this work is really amazing. The detailed animations, the recreation of all the illustrative artwork, this is no small feat. However, I am wondering if having the screen be so animated at some many points in a given game could be overwhelming?

#1867 3 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

I think all this work is really amazing. The detailed animations, the recreation of all the illustrative artwork, this is no small feat. However, I am wondering if having the screen be so animated at some many points in a given game could be overwhelming?

Ya, try playing The Hobbit! You need an over the shoulder spotter calling out commands. Awesome game though!

#1868 3 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

I think I said something to this effect a while back. I had a Mike D mod in mine and it was a little too distracting.

#1869 3 years ago

We continue with the design of the Super Jackpot video. The bubbles were added to the second diver, and the launch of the harpoon.

There are some things to correct, the video is now too long, 13 seconds, I have told the designer to reduce it to 10 or 11 seconds, and I also see that the harpoon takes a long time to come out, in the second 10, make it appear before, about the second 3 or 4.

We are going to deal with the subject of music, and maybe some correction on the Super Jackpot Text, because I see that it is too static, should draw more attention.

Moreover, today I received the package with the second order of cables and connectors, now the power cables are already well assembled. There are more connectors, and HDMI video cables to have enough stock, based on the requests I've received so far.

As soon as we finish this video, we will get the design of a new video for the Jackpot, which is more in line and style of the game.

lista_videos.jpglista_videos.jpg
#1870 3 years ago

The super jackpot is cool but its something most of us will never see, lets get this thing to market before a lot of people lose interest. LOL nice job .

#1871 3 years ago

I will not lose interest but I want it finished and tested. You buy a early one and test it out

#1872 3 years ago

It needs something for the kids and the fight and the kids making out in the car

#1873 3 years ago

This is by far the coolest mod I will never get to experience.

#1874 3 years ago

So when will we get to see a video of this mounted in a real pin and in action? New graphics is nice n all but I think we all want to see how it works being triggered by the game signals, eventual delays, display visibillity and so on. I think its time you show this even though all videos are not created yet.

Project looks promising though.

#1875 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I will not lose interest but I want it finished and tested. You buy a early one and test it out

If it comes out before I sell my machine.

#1876 3 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

If it comes out before I sell my machine.

I will not sell my creature, ever. It is a keeper.

#1877 3 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

So when will we get to see a video of this mounted in a real pin and in action? New graphics is nice n all but I think we all want to see how it works being triggered by the game signals, eventual delays, display visibillity and so on. I think its time you show this even though all videos are not created yet.
Project looks promising though.

The OP doesn't have a machine but has sent a kit to a friend to install and film at his pinball restoration factory. Covid-19 has hit Spain (along with other countries) pretty hard and there is a government enforced lockdown, meaning that the guy isn't able to go to his factory. So yes we are all interested to see the mod running in a machine, but we just have to be patient and wait for things in Spain (and the rest of the world) to start returning to normal.

#1878 3 years ago

We added music and some corrections were made, the duration of the video is reduced to 9 seconds, the appearance of the harpoon shot is advanced to the second 4, effects are added to the text SUPER (heartbeat effect).

We are still going to make a few more changes to the effects on the SUPER JACKPOT text so that it gets more attention (testing zoon-type effects as the text is written and when the video is closed, turns, etc ...), add sounds of bubbles, sound of the harpoon shooting, and synchronize everything with the music. The duration of the video will be reduced a little more, to 8 seconds I think that is enough.

#1879 3 years ago

Here are some pics you might’ve able to use

2997EE56-79A2-4B6F-A003-72A4B2463279 (resized).jpeg2997EE56-79A2-4B6F-A003-72A4B2463279 (resized).jpegA19C374B-1F53-4AFB-9CB7-EBF4DB512B50 (resized).jpegA19C374B-1F53-4AFB-9CB7-EBF4DB512B50 (resized).jpegA696A2D1-6A44-4AA7-8018-9776EFCFD5B2 (resized).jpegA696A2D1-6A44-4AA7-8018-9776EFCFD5B2 (resized).jpeg
#1880 3 years ago

I sold my CFTBL years ago. I still have this cardboard promotional standee in my gameroom.

One monster flipper.

20200526_005056 (resized).jpg20200526_005056 (resized).jpg
#1881 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

I imported a European Creature to the US and did the power conversion. It has has a service outlet, FYI. I've imported quite a few games from Italy and Germany and found many to have the outlets.

#1882 3 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

I sold my CFTBL years ago. I still have this cardboard promotional standee in my gameroom.
One monster flipper.
[quoted image]

What is the size of that?

#1883 3 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

One monster flipper.
[quoted image]

I really like that promo standee!!!!

#1884 3 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

What is the size of that?

About 6 feet tall. . .imposing in a good way.

I'm getting inquiries about selling this CFTBL standee to someone with the game. . .makes sense.

He folds for compact and easy shipping.

#1885 3 years ago

I'll see if i can find my standee as well....glad to sell to a Creature owner...

#1886 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I'll see if i can find my standee as well....glad to sell to a Creature owner...

Would love to have one next to my game. My creature is never leaving

#1887 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I’m in if you find it.

#1888 3 years ago

A friend of mine is a Navy Seal and they have a full size creature at the base. They say he is the original frog man.

#1889 3 years ago

This is the final version of the Super Jackpot video, and we have already finished it.

The music was synchronized with the visual effects, bubble sounds were added, a throbbing effect was added to the Super text, a spinning effect was added to the Jackpot text, a launch sound of the harpoon was added, the video was reduced to a total duration of 9 seconds.

And we have already started to design another video, we are going to make a new video for the JACKPOT, according to the style of the game and the machine, a cartoon style based on images of the playfield and backglass, in addition to scenes from the film and music from the 50s. The previous video of the Jackpot will also be available in the kit, so the user can activate the one that you prefer or both, if both are activated the firmware will play one at random every time the signal is triggered.

#1890 3 years ago

This thing is going to be way cool but am I going to have to get a loan to buy it?

#1891 3 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

One monster flipper.
[quoted image]

Accepting offers for this 1992 vintage 6 foot promotional standee. More photos available. Colors are bright, somewhat marginal degradation at the base, otherwise intact and presents well. Folds for easy shipping.

If sold, I will note in a post and donate to Pinside. Thanks for the interest.

20200526_005056 (resized).jpg20200526_005056 (resized).jpg
#1892 3 years ago

Been looking for my creature....can't find yet. Maybe it's gone. Finding strange stuff though. I C3P0 standee and a Jurassic Park standee (see here folded in half) from McDonalds?

IMG-0994 (resized).jpgIMG-0994 (resized).jpgIMG-0997 (resized).jpgIMG-0997 (resized).jpg
#1893 3 years ago

...and for you Creature and Monster fans...I found these. 11x14 lobby cards signed by a group of people. Some signed by both Julie Adams and Ben Chapman.
1) Card signed by Ben and Julie.
2) Card signed by Julie Adams & Ben Chapman (Creature), Basil Gogos (FM artist), Kevin McCarthy (Invasion of the Body Snatchers), Sara Karloff, Tom Savini...and more!
3) Card signed by Ben Chapman, Beverly Garland, Dolores Fuller, Ron Chaney and more!
The first card Ben signed to me, Julie autograph is plain. All the rest are just signed.
I also have a book, maybe 5x7 or 6x9 filled with candid behind the scenes photos from my collection, signed!

IMG-0998 (resized).jpgIMG-0998 (resized).jpgIMG-0999 (resized).jpgIMG-0999 (resized).jpgIMG-1001 (resized).jpgIMG-1001 (resized).jpg
#1894 3 years ago

Just found the book. It's actually 11x8.5"...color and BW behind the scenes photos and signed by Ricou Browning and Julie Adams!

IMG-1002 (resized).jpgIMG-1002 (resized).jpgIMG-1003 (resized).jpgIMG-1003 (resized).jpgIMG-1004 (resized).jpgIMG-1004 (resized).jpgIMG-1005 (resized).jpgIMG-1005 (resized).jpg
#1895 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Just found the book. It's actually 11x8.5"...color and BW behind the scenes photos and signed by Ricou Browning and Julie Adams!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very cool stuff! Thanks for sharing

#1896 3 years ago

If anyone is interested in any of the stuff for their gameroom...lemme know and make an offer...

#1897 3 years ago

Signed book is gone!

#1898 3 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

Accepting offers for this 1992 vintage 6 foot promotional standee. More photos available. Colors are bright, somewhat marginal degradation at the base, otherwise intact and presents well. Folds for easy shipping.
If sold, I will note in a post and donate to Pinside. Thanks for the interest.
[quoted image]

I had a hand full of these that I sold last year at show so let me check to see if I have any left! Think I was at $250 or obo on them.

#1899 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Signed book is gone!

Damn it!

#1900 3 years ago

Sorry... Still other stuff left.... (just realized, I don't want to highjack the Thread!) I'll move to Creature pinball or something...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 24.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,082 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 62.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hologram-mod-for-creature-from-pinballsp-is-under-development/page/38?hl=littlecammi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.