CPU_wrong_001.jpg
CPU_wrong_003.jpg
0ed588560508a90ac12405b838c8209559d63350.jpg
holo_zero_003.jpg
holo_zero_004.jpg
holo_zero_004.jpg
holo_zero_003.jpg
holo_zero_001.jpg
There are 3,082 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 62.
#1351 4 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Hola pinballsp!
just an experiment... please can you tell me what you think to the quality of this video which uses the original hologram? Is it something that can be used by the editor to produce an authentic video as an option?
https://vimeo.com/364332405
Amazing work by the way, I love this mod
Kris
edit: video quality is slightly compressed from original source, colour also not accurate

Thanks thewool.
The video does not have much quality, it also seems to me that the body of the creature is trimmed by low, and on the sides the claws are also trimmed when the creature rotates.

I have mounted the video in Premiere, slowing down and creating a loop to last longer. Maybe I can improve a bit by modifying the contrast to hide the greenish background of the image, but I don't think I can get much better.

#1352 4 years ago

In this test, I have improved brightness and contrast, but it is not possible to do much more. I need an original video of better quality, and do not cut the image from the sides and the bottom.

I can mount this video for the kit, as an alternative, and if someone wants to use it, they will only have to change one parameter of the configuration to enable it and disable the other.

Now that I see it better, it is not so bad, once adjusted brightness and contrast. With some additional adjustment, it may improve a bit.

#1353 4 years ago

Wow! I never see a hologram that nice before
This mod looks very interesting.
Lol! I check-in this forum with an intention to ask a question but after i saw the videos. I completely forgot what my question was

#1354 4 years ago

I already have all the videos for the first version of the kit, the graphic designer sent them to me today.

We've only had to deal with some modifications in the bubble video, to add several scenes from the movie. In the version he sent to me, only fixed color images of characters from the board and some frame of the film were coming out, but there were no moving scenes, we added 4 scenes with close-ups of the girl and one of the Creature.

I am assembling the kit boards to try everything.

The videos of the Creature and the Bubbles will be the only ones configurable by the user. In the video of the Creature the user can enable or disable the UFO and the text "Creature Found", and in the video of the Bubbles the characters and scenes of the bubbles can be enabled or disabled.

holo_video_list_003.jpgholo_video_list_003.jpg
#1355 4 years ago

I think now even to left it only with the green creature with this quality is so nice.
And will looks like with the original one,so you can made it like kit option for someone that will buy it-full video kit(the one that you made) or just with the creature to come on multiball(original style of the gameplay).

#1356 4 years ago

Nice to see this mod nearing the end of development. I sold my creature this year but glad others will have a nice option.

#1357 4 years ago

Final version of the bubbles video. It will be available with bubbles that show characters and movie scenes and without those bubbles. The user can choose with a parameter available in the product configuration file.

The graphic designer is already working on new videos for the hologram kit. The first phase of design has been the most complicated because the illustrations have had to be created and vectorized, from now on it will be faster. My idea is to continue with the videos for the Jackpot, Super Jackpot and Extra Ball, as well as some animation of the SnackBar food.

I have been thinking about the matter of sound, for a future update, and I will offer as an optional extra a cable (attached image), which connects the audio output of the Raspberry to the line input of the pinball sound board (the original sound board).

On the other hand, once the controller board that captures all the pinball signals for the Creature kit is finished, I am also thinking of making the mod for the AC/DC. With minor modifications to the design of my controller board, I can connect to the Stern SAM CPU so that I can also make an interactive kit that shows videos according to the status of those signals, such as showing videos of the concerts based on the song that is playing on the game (I have counted 12 songs in the lamp matrix) and other videos according to other signals. I have asked a friend who has the AC/DC to take measures of the "ROCKING BAND ASSEMBLY" to be able to design the support and choose the type and size of the screen. My design does not need to patch the pinball ROM.

But for now, let's definitely finish the Hologram kit before starting another design. The idea will be to offer a universal interactive system that triggers videos, so that it can be used on any Bally/Williams, Stern SAM and Stern WhiteStar, with several sizes of screens and acrylic supports for the game board and even for interactive toppers.

cable_sonido.jpgcable_sonido.jpgACDC_002.jpgACDC_002.jpglamparas_ACDC.jpglamparas_ACDC.jpg
#1358 4 years ago

Let’s see how fast you get the game logic into your mod. Hopefully not as slow as color for your DMDs. 2 years Now is way too long and still no solution.

For now I see only 1 row you are checking, that’s a pretty simple thing to do, even with very little to almost no knowledge.

How are you going to handle power surge from the game? It definitely will draw too much from those old wires, trust me or leave it. I know you tend to ignore tips from outside as you consider yourself all knowing.

#1359 4 years ago

Preparing new videos, today I have been meeting with the graphic designer dealing with the video of the Auto cinema and that of the Boxing Video Mode. We have also solved some details about the right and left ramp shooting video, and the SnackBar food animations video.

The design order of the new videos is that of Cola animation, followed by that of the Extra Ball and the Jackpot.

ScreenHunter_031.jpgScreenHunter_031.jpgScreenHunter_034.jpgScreenHunter_034.jpg
ScreenHunter_035.jpgScreenHunter_035.jpg

#1360 4 years ago

I was also preparing the assembly of the Kit boards on my Pick and Place machine. These boards are manufactured in panels of 4 units for faster assembly. This paneling requires special preparation, however after a few tests everything is ready to mount them in quantity, quickly and with the highest quality.

PCB_HOLO_001.jpgPCB_HOLO_001.jpgPCB_HOLO_002.jpgPCB_HOLO_002.jpgPCB_HOLO_003.jpgPCB_HOLO_003.jpg
#1361 4 years ago

the pick & place technology has always fascinated me. how long does it take to program the device to perform the pick and place for an average size board?

#1362 4 years ago
Quoted from Raaalph:

Let’s see how fast you get the game logic into your mod. Hopefully not as slow as color for your DMDs. 2 years Now is way too long and still no solution.
For now I see only 1 row you are checking, that’s a pretty simple thing to do, even with very little to almost no knowledge.
How are you going to handle power surge from the game? It definitely will draw too much from those old wires, trust me or leave it. I know you tend to ignore tips from outside as you consider yourself all knowing.

Wow, someone got out of out bed on the wrong side...

#1363 4 years ago
Quoted from Raaalph:

Might take your own advice

Quoted from Raaalph:

Don’t believe every bs that’s spread around here, people tend to be negative on sh*t they don’t understand.

#1364 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

the pick & place technology has always fascinated me. how long does it take to program the device to perform the pick and place for an average size board?

The time it may take depends on whether the components I am going to use are already installed on the machine, and if they are already configured.

Normally, the designs I make share many components between them that I already have configured and installed, so I copy a project that I already had designed and with a few changes I have the new one.

In these boards for the hologram kit, I have also used the panel for the first time, which is to have several boards in one panel, so it is assembled faster, in this case they are panels that have 4 boards each. It may have taken about 20 minutes to configure the machine for this new board, this only has to be done once, because that configuration is saved and I can use it again every time I will assemble the board again.

#1365 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

The time it may take depends on whether the components I am going to use are already installed on the machine

VERY cool tool! How long does it take to populate a board?
Do the thru-hole components need to be manually soldered?

#1366 4 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

VERY cool tool! How long does it take to populate a board?
Do the thru-hole components need to be manually soldered?

The assembly time depends on the quantity of components to be placed, also on the type of component because that determines the speed at which each one is placed. The machine is quite fast, but more important than speed, it is comfort. I started assembling all my boards by hand, and it was very uncomfortable to place all the components one by one by hand.

Here you can see in this video, the assembly of one of my multicolored DMDs, a DMDMK66 of 192x64. Some components such as the SD card holder (just the first component to place) and the LQFP144 microcontroller, I have programmed to put them slowly, the rest of components, capacitors, resistors and SOIC chips, places them very fast.

To solder THT components I use a soldering pot

Crisol de 80mm.jpgCrisol de 80mm.jpg

#1367 4 years ago

Punch Out in a Creech?

#1368 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Punch Out in a Creech?

Maybe a nod to the MikeD mod, runs during the drive-in peeper fight.

#1369 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Punch Out in a Creech?

Video mode, hit the Peeping Tom.

#1370 4 years ago

Preparing the video of the animation of the Cola. It is only a first version, I have already told the graphic designer, that the background seems too simple to me, although it is necessary to see it all animated, the Cola dancing, the background with turns and the letters with several special effects.

All illustrations are vectorized for maximum quality. There is a lot of animation work, so that the Cola dance, in addition the glass liquid is also animated to give it more realism, I am waiting for a preliminary video and I publish it so that it looks like it is going.

COLA2.jpgCOLA2.jpg

#1371 4 years ago

First test animating the COLA, there is still much to add to this video, animated background with special effects, animated COLA text, sound ...

We have new ideas to try, until we reach the final version. However, the animation of the COLA dancing is very good for me, especially the effect of the liquid and the straw moving in the glass is very successful.

The four SnackBar food characters will be animated in a similar way, but with different special effects and animated backgrounds, this is Cola, Ice Cream, Hotdog and Popcorn.

#1373 4 years ago

I have followed this project eagerly without chiming in until now.All your work is looking very cool and i look forward to the finished product being availlable.But regarding the boxing mode animations you have chosen i feel they don't fit the theme of the game and they look out of place in my opinion.Why not save yourself some time and just have one image appear on the lcd display while this video mode is being played on the dmd.

#1374 4 years ago

Looks great. Wondering if the liquid should be a dark color. Even if it isn’t on the game.

#1375 4 years ago
Quoted from alpha70:

I have followed this project eagerly without chiming in until now.All your work is looking very cool and i look forward to the finished product being availlable.But regarding the boxing mode animations you have chosen i feel they don't fit the theme of the game and they look out of place in my opinion.Why not save yourself some time and just have one image appear on the lcd display while this video mode is being played on the dmd.

I am studying it with the graphic designer, to see what we do. Maybe recreate the DMD scene, but in color and high resolution. Also adding the texts "VIDEO MODE" and "PUNCH PEEPING TOM", with some special flickering effects and others.

#1376 4 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Looks great. Wondering if the liquid should be a dark color. Even if it isn’t on the game.

I also thought about changing the white color of the soda, to the brown color of the cola. In addition, the designer has come up with new ideas, adding in the background the bubbles of the soda gas (with the corresponding sound), in addition to the animation of the background that we had already designed.

It is the video he is working on now, then he will animate the rest of the SnackBar's food and he starts working with the Jackpot, Superjackpot and the Extra Ball.

I am now finishing assembling all the boards of the latest designs that I made, and I want to try it all this weekend. In addition to the main board of the Kit, I have to assemble the new TEST board, the LED board to check all the signals of the Creature and two boards for the Video Bumper. I have enough work to be entertained for a while.

PCBs.jpgPCBs.jpg

#1377 4 years ago

This is the final and full list of videos that the Kit will include (a total of 24 videos), I will update it as the videos become available. The first version of the kit will only include the videos available at this time, the rest will be added and can be downloaded together with the firmware update.

All updates will be in the Github and Gitlab of the project.
https://github.com/pinballsp/Creature-HOLO-ModSP
https://gitlab.com/pinballsp/Creature-HOLO-ModSP

LISTA_VIDEOS.jpgLISTA_VIDEOS.jpg
#1378 4 years ago

Sorry to be a pest but please consider adding one for "multiball restart". I would say it's my favorite restart in any game and such a sweet shot to hit the scoop during the count down. Thanks for at least considering it.

#1379 4 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Sorry to be a pest but please consider adding one for "multiball restart". I would say it's my favorite restart in any game and such a sweet shot to hit the scoop during the count down. Thanks for at least considering it.

Can you make a video of what the DMD shows when Multiball Restart is enabled?
I don't know what kind of video we could create for that animation, I would need to see what is displayed on the DMD, to have ideas to start from.

#1380 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Can you make a video of what the DMD shows when Multiball Restart is enabled?

Here's a link:

It can be seen at 5:11 and 17:52. It starts with a 12 second countdown, and you need to shoot the snackbar to restart multiball.(Note: This is only available if you haven't collected the Jackpot.)

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1381 4 years ago
Quoted from Mtg381:

Here's a link:
It can be seen at 5:11 and 17:52. It starts with a 12 second countdown, and you need to shoot the snackbar to restart multiball.(Note: This is only available if you haven't collected the Jackpot.)[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks, I will deal with the graphic designer to see what we can do.

#1382 4 years ago

I enjoy this thread simply to see what goes into the process of creating a mod like this. So many on this board want things done yesterday without a fundamental understanding of what it takes to execute something. This appears to be an outstanding improvement over the existing hologram.

#1383 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

I enjoy this thread simply to see what goes into the process of creating a mod like this. So many on this board want things done yesterday without a fundamental understanding of what it takes to execute something. This appears to be an outstanding improvement over the existing hologram.

Me too.....but if everyone wants something different, it will turn into a never ending process....

#1384 4 years ago

This is gonna be epic!!

#1385 4 years ago

I just hope there is no lag time for the animations to start when things are triggered. I had a MikeD mod in mine and I removed it because of this.

#1386 4 years ago

Is this available yet?

#1387 4 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

I just hope there is no lag time for the animations to start when things are triggered. I had a MikeD mod in mine and I removed it because of this.

There is a claim that the video player had been rewritten from scratch due to the start lag. THere has been no proof yet, but I assume eventually we will actually see a working demo

#1388 4 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

Is this available yet?

No not yet.

#1389 4 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

I have never tried Mike's kit and I don't know how much delay you mean, but the used video player, which should probably be the omxplayer in Mike's kit, is only about 1 second late in triggering the videos. A longer delay is no longer related to the video player.

Given that Mike's kit is based solely on the state of the game board lamps, that could explain greater delays. It is not a good tactic to use only the status of the lamps, because many of them flash, and there are even events that produce a sequential turn on of all or almost all the lamps on the game board, without having any relation to game events . Discriminating all that is complicated if we don't also read the state of the game board switches, as my kit does, that could explain greater delays in triggering the videos.

Another simple way to discriminate the confusing signals of the lamps, is to do it by the sounds, but in that case it is much more limited to be able to trigger events, although it is easier to program.

How much delay have you noticed in Mike's kit, for the triggering of the videos?

#1390 4 years ago

There is some minor delay in the start of the videos, but once MikeD explained to me how things were triggered, it made perfect sense and I forgot about it. The only really slow vid is the "Shoot the Left (or Right) Ramp". If I recall correctly I believe it was because the Ramp videos have the lowest priority and often there is more than one video that has been triggered. Something like that. Looking forward to the completion of your mod, I never thought it would happen.

#1391 4 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

There is some minor delay in the start of the videos, but once MikeD explained to me how things were triggered, it made perfect sense and I forgot about it. The only really slow vid is the "Shoot the Left (or Right) Ramp". If I recall correctly I believe it was because the Ramp videos have the lowest priority and often there is more than one video that has been triggered. Something like that. Looking forward to the completion of your mod, I never thought it would happen.

Thanks for the info.
Yes, it could happen that the triggering of some videos comes into conflict because signals are given at the same time to trigger several of them, and the program must have a priority programmed to work correctly.

Although doing so only with the state of the lamps further complicates matters, the state of the switches can help a lot to really determine which video should be triggered when the lamps come into conflict by triggering several videos at the same time according to their status.

#1392 4 years ago

Do you have a better idea of when the list will open up? Do you gmhave a better idea on pricing now that the boards are in production? I really enjoy your work thus far and I thank you. This is going to be a great addition to the game.

#1393 4 years ago
Quoted from Guzz4851:

Do you have a better idea of when the list will open up? Do you gmhave a better idea on pricing now that the boards are in production? I really enjoy your work thus far and I thank you. This is going to be a great addition to the game.

I can't give you a precise date, if there are no unforeseen events I can open the order list in a couple of weeks. I have not calculated the price yet, but I plan to offer two packages with different prices, one basic with the videos marked in the graphic that I put (basic package), and another with the 24 videos (Full package). I will also offer as optional extras, the SD card configured with default values, USB memory and audio cable.

I can also offer the product without some of its components, such as the Raspberry and/or the HDMI cable, so if someone already has them, can save the cost of those components.

#1394 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballsp:

Thanks for the info.
Yes, it could happen that the triggering of some videos comes into conflict because signals are given at the same time to trigger several of them, and the program must have a priority programmed to work correctly.
Although doing so only with the state of the lamps further complicates matters, the state of the switches can help a lot to really determine which video should be triggered when the lamps come into conflict by triggering several videos at the same time according to their status.

We looked at utilizing switch triggers. The problem was that the RPi couldn’t scan it’s GPIO fast enough to register switch hits repeatably. FYI - we were scanning at 2 to 3 milliseconds. Maybe the newest RPi can run at a faster scan rate?

Regardless of what you use to trigger the videos, CFTBL supports mode stacking. If you don’t have a priority list for your videos, the screen will be flipping back-and-forth between videos constantly when a good player is on the machine. Even a one second delay will be very distracting. This is why we slowed the MOD down to improve the overall experience during gameplay.

I’d highly recommend you work on the code and see how the MOD functions during gameplay before you make any more videos. You may find yourself running into many of the same situations we did and you will have to compromise accordingly.

With that said, your artwork looks fantastic.

#1395 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

We looked at utilizing switch triggers. The problem was that the RPi couldn’t scan it’s GPIO fast enough to register switch hits repeatably. FYI - we were scanning at 2 to 3 milliseconds. Maybe the newest RPi can run at a faster scan rate?
Regardless of what you use to trigger the videos, CFTBL supports mode stacking. If you don’t have a priority list for your videos, the screen will be flipping back-and-forth between videos constantly when a good player is on the machine. Even a one second delay will be very distracting. This is why we slowed the MOD down to improve the overall experience during gameplay.
I’d highly recommend you work on the code and see how the MOD functions during gameplay before you make any more videos. You may find yourself running into many of the same situations we did and you will have to compromise accordingly.
With that said, your artwork looks fantastic.

Thanks for the information Mike.

In my Kit, I don't use the Raspberry to read the pinball signals, I made a first version that did work that way, but I decided to change it. My final design uses a microcontroller to read and capture all the signals, the Raspberry is only used to play videos, both communicate by serial port so that the microcontroller sent a command to the Raspberry with the number of video to play.

I understand the priorities, and the conflicts between the triggering of videos that may occur at the same time. It is something that I will be programming as I release new videos. With the current videos the triggering is simple to program and does not generate conflicts, as I add videos the situation will be complicated, and I will decide with each new video.

#1396 4 years ago

I have been dealing with the designer about the scene for Video Mode. We are going to rethink it, we leave the boxing scene, and we will do it by recreating the initial DMD scene, with the car, the boy, the girl and the peeping tom, in addition to large texts with several effects, which indicate VIDEO MODE and PUNCH THE PEEPING TOM.

After looking for images of cars from the 40s and 50s, we will do it with a Chevrolet Master Deluxe. However, we have to vectorize the car, because it would not be good to mix real photos with drawings.

I have a few ideas, which almost give to create an animated movie, to see if we can also put the luminous poster of the Auto cinema, there will be a work of art. Although the graphic designer is quite busy with my new ideas that involves creating illustrations, vectorizing and assembling a story board before reaching the final video.

As some videos are complex and the cost is increased by the work of the graphic designer, I have decided to create two or maybe three packages when offering the product. Thus there will be a basic package with the essential videos (as I indicated in the table of videos that I posted previously), and one or two more packages with the rest of the videos. Each package with a different price, BASIC, MEDIUM and ADVANCED. The hardware will always be the same, only the amount of videos included will vary.

As for the COLA video, it is almost finished, I will show it shortly.

chevrolet_front_001.jpgchevrolet_front_001.jpg584i.jpg584i.jpg68316004-770-0@2X.jpg[email protected]

#1397 4 years ago

A new proposal for the video of the Cola. The red and white bands of the backgound move vertically and horizontally, bubbles that simulate the Cola gas are added.

However, I have already told the graphic designer, to try to use the same colors that are seen on the game board, in this case, light blue, pink and violet, so that the animation is better related to the game.

It is still a test, it is not the final version of this video, we are testing ideas.

COLA2.jpgCOLA2.jpg

#1398 4 years ago

And this will probably be the final version, some bubbles of the drink gas are added, the rays of the background will be animated and also the letters of the COLA text. The designer tells me that he is going to make an animation so that the letter O of the word COLA, pretends to be one of the gas bubbles that goes up and joins the rest of the bubbles, although until I see the video I don't know exactly what is going to do.

In any case, visually it will look like the attached photos. In one, bubbles come out all over the background, in the other only over the glass of cola.

We are going to finish this video, because as I told the graphic designer, it is not convenient to get so stuck with a video, we must continue with the rest of the videos to finish the 24 videos of the full package as soon as possible. Both the designer and I have many ideas during the development of the videos, many things are tested but finally discarded, until reaching the final result.

cola3.jpgcola3.jpg

#1399 4 years ago

Looks great!! Honestly I dont think you need the word Cola. It's pretty self explanatory.

#1400 4 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Looks great!! Honestly I dont think you need the word Cola. It's pretty self explanatory.

agreed. sometimes, less is more

but yes, this looks amazing

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 27.95
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,082 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 62.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hologram-mod-for-creature-from-pinballsp-is-under-development/page/28?hl=ercvacation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.